Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Legacy of Kain Series > Legacy of Kain - General Discussion

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 PM
New Player

Default Legacy of kain -=remake=-

Hello everybody!

I wanted to get info from the community and feedback on the following matters.

1) if you'd like the idea of a remake for this game, PLEASE SAY SO.

2) if you know who's behind the game's development and ownership, PLEASE SAY SO.
(a contact of some kind? don't publish it, PM me it please)

3) if you could see an updated version of this game with extremely exquisite battle gameplay, and all the entire story PROLONGED into a new remake and made with much more production, would you buy it..
..EVEN THOUGH THE STORY IS BASICALLY THE SAME (in the remake)?

Thanks, I'll be glad to hear your responses.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Protagonist

let me guess: you are planning to remake the game.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:53 AM
New Player

1 - I like the idea of another addition to the game series, be it a remake, fangame or whatever it might be. It keep the series alive.
2 - Thorough research is the root of all information. Try Google or Wikipedia for starters.
3 - I'd buy it.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM
New Player

Linikratyo: have been for ages.
the game's battle system was only good in the first one because it was on ps1, but the other games had horrible gameplay, except for the puzzles n all that.

sin_of_envy:
I know what you mean, but it wouldn't be killing the series, I'd be MAKING JUSTICE of it.
because the games that were done got worst and worst on the gameplay as time went by.
I don't know what happened, but it should have been the other way around.
it's like no one realized its potential, after the 2nd game everything went really downhill, even though the story was always solid.

2- yeah I know, but besides that, I'm looking for any solid leads anyone may know, someone key from the dev. team.

3- awesome
Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
New Player

not to mention that they missed a big chunk of the entire story, and it could all be told properly.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Gamer

1) yes
2) not sure
3) i'd buy it if it came out on the 360
Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by makugx View Post
Linikratyo: have been for ages.
the game's battle system was only good in the first one because it was on ps1, but the other games had horrible gameplay, except for the puzzles n all that.
How are you planning to do it? Have you got a company to release it with? Have you got enough money to buy the rights for remaking the games?
I would also suggest you speak to people like Amy Hennig and Denis Dyack, they directed the games, so they should be able to give you some tips.

1. Sure, but only if the story and atmosphere don't change.
2. Eidos/Square Enix Europe
3. If it's good then I will buy it
Old 12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
New Player

1) Yes if the feel, dialogue, story and general setting don't change. So basically, the game in 3D with nice graphics, models and textures. An open ended, non linear map would also be amazing

2) Initially, Silicon Knights and Crystal Dynamics. Crystal then took all the rights (as far as I know) but were acquired by Eidos. Since then Square Enix have acquired Eidos and Eidos and Square Enix Europe are related some how.

3) Story "prolonged" what do you mean? I love original story, I wouldn't change any of it. And yeah I'd probably buy it, but I'd like to see a functioning demo first.

You know, sometimes I wish that all those individuals trying to make remakes of LoK would get together and make one. Yeah you'd have to give up a bit of your vision and compromise but at least there would be an end product that's enjoyable rather than just some level designs or models or textures.

Btw, you'd probably have to buy the rights of the franchise in order to sell it and the cost will be phenomenal. If i were you I'd get a whole bunch of people together and get a fully finished demo. Then i'd mail that to Eidos and post it online. If there's a positive response from Eidos, they might help you develop the game. If it's a negative response from Eidos but a positive one from the fans, you could ask for donations. Trust me, they'd donate.

Good luck with your project... assuming you're going through with it. Btw, the combat systems were... alright. Each had its flaws. My favorite is the Defiance one, although it has collision detection issues.

EDIT: Btw, a lot of the info like who owns it isn't too hard to find. Instead of making an account and posting on the forums you could try google or wiki.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Gamer

Are Silicon Knights still in existence?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils@Dusk View Post
Are Silicon Knights still in existence?
Still in existence but not necessarily in good shape - Too Human (after 11 years of development) didn't receive much love.
And we know that one bad game can kill a studio (see Free Radical).
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoks View Post
Still in existence but not necessarily in good shape - Too Human (after 11 years of development) didn't receive much love.
And we know that one bad game can kill a studio (see Free Radical).
Did it get 11 years of development?!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linikratyo View Post
Did it get 11 years of development?!
Some sources say 11, others say 10.

According to wikipedia:

Quote:
The game is noted for being in development hell for almost ten years, originally being planned as a four-disc action-adventure game for the PlayStation in 1999. Development later went into the Nintendo GameCube in 2000 before eventually selling the rights to Microsoft in 2005. It was then announced to be released for the Xbox 360 where it eventually became a finished product. Too Human had a massive development budget of 80 million dollars that was funded by Microsoft.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Protagonist

I'd be very interested in a remake. so long as it was done properly.
Ideally i'd want the game for my ps3. I wouldn't be interested in something that played like defiance. If it was a proper free roaming rpg i'd definately be interested in investing.

if a remake was done and it was like defiance (Raziel May Cry...) i'd most likely avoid it like i'm going to avoid the upcoming a-team movie
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Gamer

Mmm. Keep hoping, people. It would be nice...
Old 12-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makugx View Post
Quote:
after the 2nd game everything went really downhill, even though the story was always solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fneh View Post
if a remake was done and it was like defiance (Raziel May Cry...) i'd most likely avoid it
I will probably never understand all this Defiance hate.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoks View Post
I will probably never understand all this Defiance hate.
Me too. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the Kain parts were rushed
Old 12-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Protagonist

Watch this btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-s9...ayer_embedded#
Old 12-31-2009, 08:06 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linikratyo View Post
Damn awesome, looks great so far.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Gamer

I think Raziel's story could have been on one disc and kain's on another... but either way... i love defiance
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Gamer

1) Sure.

2) As others said, you'd have to get the rights from SE/EIDOS/CD. And it would preferable if you spoke to Amy Hennig or the two other directors in the series (BO & BO2).

3) Yes, I'd buy it... if it was GOOD.

If you decide to make it, good luck.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Gamer

1st of all, any defiance hate IMHO & ONLY MY opinion was due to it not being enuff "soul reaverish"
It wasn't as amazing texturally as SR1 & 2 was for their time IMHO & felt shorter & "RUSHED" .
1 main gripe was the newer cam angle which i still hate to this day even with the so called "fix".
Amy herself said that she KNEW she was leaving the studio 1/2 way in production & in some "mystical" way i think it reflected it.

PERSONALLY I think that LoK NEEDS a "masterful" remake of it's "Most" inspirational title & that IMHO is Blood Omen 1 & or Soul Reaver 1.Additional content SHOULD be provided so as to fill in some gaps & add new places/removed places to venture in.
For me it is really hard to ABSOLUTELY pick between bo & sr since BOTH captivated & incapsulated my attention 110% in their own special way.

I MY SELF would vote for a Remake before making a brand new chapter in the LoK saga.
It would allow new comers to relive the same experience we did when it 1st came out & Rebuild a MORE solid fan base (vampire stuff is spreading like wild fire these days).
I have waited Soo long for all ends to meet & can wait longer but "IF" i can relive ALL those absorbing moments from 95-2000 in glorious DX11 graphics then So Should it BE !!!

Last edited by OugaBooga1; 01-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Gamer

Can you imagine a SR1 were the vast scenery extends through the landscape until your eyes can cease to see it. These new generation games are simply stunning in that regard.. Imagine for instance you're in the Sunlight Glyph area and you look up and you see the enormous tower of the Silent Cathedral. Things like this would give an entirely different feel to the game; less individual areas and more of a whole world...it would be amazing....but officially, I don't see this being released....
Old 01-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Gamer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrykull View Post
Can you imagine a SR1 were the vast scenery extends through the landscape until your eyes can cease to see it. These new generation games are simply stunning in that regard.. Imagine for instance you're in the Sunlight Glyph area and you look up and you see the enormous tower of the Silent Cathedral. Things like this would give an entirely different feel to the game; less individual areas and more of a whole world...it would be amazing....but officially, I don't see this being released....
YES i CAN imagine & so i DO
I can verily say that if we ALL imagine together we can make it Happen.
Lastly all i can say is if you have a product that is "successful" in captivating the minds & hearts as BO & SR did then it Should be easy to see how adding to such a succulent recipe would ONLY mean The time is RIPE for LoK picking

I AM on fire knowing that SE is here to tender ripe fruits.

Last edited by OugaBooga1; 01-16-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Gamer

I think that BO1 remake (or to a lesser extent - SR1 remake) is the only sensible decision for Eidos/SE at this point.
While there are still many people waiting for the conclusion, you have to remember that several years have past since the last instalment, and the interest fades over time. Therefore making a well funded sequel, that basically requires knowledge of the prior games and is aimed at niche audience is not a wise decision.
A remake on the other hand has no such requirements - it sends a message: "If you didn't play previous games, it's not a problem - you are not missing any back-story".
It also can reignite the interest in the franchise - "You liked this remake? - There are 5 other games in the series that you can play".
If it works - the chance for a proper sequel is greatly increased. If it doesn't - well... then we would be in the same place where we are now.
And final reason - we know that most people responsible for LoK are no longer working at CD. So regardless of who is working on a game (CD or some other company) it will be a new team. A remake would show how well they can handle the source material and if they can capture the soul () of the series.
A BO1 remake would be a huge opportunity, but it would also be a great challenge - imagine all areas, all towns, all caves in the game. With 2-D sprites over a decade ago, one building reoccurring in every town was not a problem. Today it is.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Gamer

I have posted somewhere else that BO1 would be my 1st choice for a remake & for similar reasons 1 being you don't need to know theprevious story & if interested you can play previous games.The story is already there, all they need to do is 3D it & i don't know how long or hard that would be.
1 thing i would want to make sure doesn't change is the music, maybe remaster it for better quality.