Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Batman: Arkham Asylum > Batman: Arkham Asylum PC Discussion

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 AM
International Man of Mystery

Default Batman Arkham Asylum MSAA Guide for ATi Video Cards

This guide explains how to enable AA with the Catalyst Control Centre.

Enabling AA from the Catalyst Control Centre

Please ensure you have the latest ATI drivers (catalyst9.10) installed before following these steps, these can be downloaded from http://ati.amd.com/ .Please also note that these steps will force AA for all applications that you run on your computer. Before following the proceeding steps, please ensure you have the latest 1.1 patch for Batman: Arkham Asylum. This will auto update when you log into Games For Windows Live within Batman:Arkham Asylum.

1. Right click on your desktop and select Catalyst Control Centre.

2. You should be greeted with a screen asking you whether you want basic or advanced mode, select advanced mode and then click on “Next”. If you get a Yes or No message after clicking on Ok, select yes.

3. You should now be in the Catalyst Control Centre. In the graphics settings box on the left, expand the 3D menu by clicking on the + sign beside it, and then select Anti-Aliasing from the resulting options.

4. In here, untick 'Use application settings'.

Note: The layout of this menu will differ slightly between XP and Vista as shown below.

XP Control Center

Vista Control Center

5. Alter the level and the filter depending on your preferences. You will have to experiment with the settings to see what gives you an acceptable level of performance and quality on your system.

For the very best results you will need custom settings for each application.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 AM
New Player

There is a better way though to do it. Using Ray Adams ATI Tray Tool utility. The advantage of doing it the alternate way is that the Nvidia card check is bypassed and you get ingame AA rather than AA forced by the display driver. Big deal you are probably thinking but the ingame AA is faster as it isn't done via brute force.

So how do you do it the ATI Tray Tool way?

Well first download the app from:
http://sna696.altervista.org/project.../att/index.php

Install it (users with 64bit OS's will need to sign the driver if you want to use the overclocking part of the app, I just didn't enable that part or any of the clock reading functions as it isn't needed and so that it would work on X64 without messing around since explaining how to sign drivers for 64bit use is beyond what I am going to go into here)

Create two profiles in the ATI Tray Tools app, one for the BmLauncher.exe and ShippingPC-BmGame.exe

In the 'Direct3D Tweaks' option, enable the tickbox to change the adapter identification
In the Vendor ID put 10DE for the Device ID put 5E2 The device description put NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260. Do this for both profiles saving each one before starting the next.

Launch the batman launcher. If you have done it correctly it will say that your Nvidia drivers are out of date (because you are using ATI ones of course) and it will then allow you to set AA in the launcher. After that start the game. Notice that the ingame AA works.

Credit for this goes to Szaby59 although his instructions were a bit lacking so I changed them a bit to hopefully make it clearer what to do.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Gamer

How does this help exactly?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 AM
New Player

Huh? I already said that ingame MSAA is faster than forced MSAA from the Catalyst Control Centre. So I don't see why anyone would want the game to run slower if they don't have to.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 AM
New Player

Default Tried this and...

i cant seem to get it to work, the launcher still says i have to have an 8000 series nvidia graphics card, ive trie this with the beta of ati tray tools and the current version of tray tools, i made both profiles exactly as stated and entered all info word for word... any ideas?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:13 AM
New Player

specs now in signature

Asus M4A78 PRO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+(getting replaced soon)
Asus Radeon HD4850(512mbGDDR3)
2GB Corsair XMS2DHX (4-4-4-12)
Corsair 650TX PSU
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB Sata 2 HDD
Asus Vento Case

Dual Booting Xp Pro Sp3
and Windows 7 RC Build 7100
Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 AM
New Player

Well here is a pic I took today showing it working:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1...manaaonati.jpg

I also included the popup message you will see if you have done it correctly
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 AM
New Player

could you do a couple of screens of your ati tray tools for me? and whats the version number of your tray tools? from what i can tell ive done the setup right lol, my version of tray tools is 1.6.9.1425, the most current version that works with the HDxxxx cards lol, and dont worry man im not tryin to say i dont believe you, just wanna get it workin so i dont get the fps drop from forcing it in Cat control centre

Asus M4A78 PRO
Corsair 650TX PSU
Asus Vento Case

Dual Booting Xp Pro Sp3
Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 AM
New Player

ive uploaded an image here http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5...oolsscreen.jpg

screenshots of the two profiles and how im launching the game, cheers

Asus M4A78 PRO
Corsair 650TX PSU
Asus Vento Case

Dual Booting Xp Pro Sp3
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM
New Player

ok just been into my windows 7 install to install the game, install tray tools etc, and your trick works fine under that os, you know of anyone else other than me thats tried it on XP? i noticed in your screenshot your not using XP, thats what got me to thinking about win7, game looks nicer and runs smoother, shame i cant seem to do it in XP though lol

Asus M4A78 PRO
Corsair 650TX PSU
Asus Vento Case

Dual Booting Xp Pro Sp3
Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 PM
New Player

I dunno I haven't used XP since Vista came out.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:44 AM
New Player

will have to get a few peeps with XP to try, im thinking its a directx 9 restriction of some kind, i hated every version of vista apart from the x64 version though lol.. but your tip is great, ill make sure anyone else with BAA gets to see your instructions, screw nvidia and thier stupid pointless AA restriction, ATI FTW

Asus M4A78 PRO
Corsair 650TX PSU
Asus Vento Case

Dual Booting Xp Pro Sp3
Old 12-19-2009, 05:41 PM
New Player

It worked for 1st time, but after that, it re-detected ATI hardware and disable MSAA. I try to disable CCC to no avail, using the latest 9.11, could it cause the problem. The only way to enable that again is to uninstall ATT, clear all the profiles, install and do all things all over again, but it just worked for the very 1st time! Frustrated ...
Old 05-01-2010, 05:03 AM
New Player

I followed what you said spyre, but I'm getting an error which says, "Failed to initialise NVIDIA PhysX. Please install the latest NVIDIA PhysX system software."

Soooo, I downloaded the latest NVIDIA PhysX system software, but to no avail. It just says that I have a more recent version on my comp already...

I have a pair of 5770's running in crossfire, which I thought might be the problem, so I removed one of them, but I still get this error and the game won't start...

DEATH TO NVIDIA!!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
New Player

Hello, I'm an owner of the Game of the Year Edition (via Steam) of this game and an Ati graphics card. I've heard that the GOTY edition was patched to allow native AA in the game, and I just want to confirm that to tell whether or not I'm having a problem. The problem is that no matter what level of MSAA I choose in the launcher, the game's image quality never changes.

Here's a shot of the title screen with AA disabled in the launcher:
http://i35.tinypic.com/6gd63b.jpg

And one with 8xAA selected in the launcher:
http://i33.tinypic.com/fu7387.jpg

These shots were originally taken at 1920x1080, so aliasing is less apparent than it would be, but looking at Batman's gauntlets the issue is clear. Can anyone give me an answer to this?