Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cryptographic Sequencer Controls for PC--VERY frustrating

Thumbs down Cryptographic Sequencer Controls for PC--VERY frustrating

Ok, so I'm in that room where Harley and the two guards are shocking. What's more shocking is how frustrating and counter-intuitive the cryptographic sequencer controls are for the PC.

What annoys me is that I don't understand the logic behind it--I get that it turns green when you're on the right track, but it randomly goes back to orange, and there's no real way to figure out which buttons are right on the PC. What am I doing wrong? I don't get it.

Oh, and I've tried to solve the situation 40x and counting. I got lucky on the first two hacking sequences and mess up on the 3rd since it gives me only 30 seconds (actually more like 25).

P.S. Why does the final lock have 5 circles on it? I presume we have to figure out the sequence then press it five times within 25 seconds? Or something similarly mad?

VERY FRUSTRATING. Maybe on the console it would make sense, where you move sticks around. But A-D + left and right click? Oh come on.
    Last edited by Mythdracon; 09-20-2009 at 05:33 AM.

**SPOILER!!!**
    **SPOILER!!!**
    **SPOILER!!!**

I can't believe you're having such trouble, i found the controls fairly simple once you get the hang of it.
    Try holding one of the mouse buttons (which one changes per hack), and then turning the dial around with the A or D button.
    Then once you get the green signal, tap the other mouse button and presto, one blown up security console.
    Some hacks go in steps so it goes green, then to orange, and you need to turn the dial on the crypto again (more fiddling with A and D).
    Last edited by BitsOfSkin; 09-20-2009 at 05:41 AM.

I found that the best way for me was to push only one button at a time.. example: Push the A key until screen (on sequencer) goes green and release the A key, then push L mouse button until the frequency display (the curvy line on the Sequencer) is at its widest point then release the L-mouse button.
    Whammo... the lock blows up. Once you get used to it, it takes about 3 seconds to blow a lock.

I haven't found it to work...basically it goes green for a second while I press a certain button, then back to yellow, and I have to coax it to go back to green, but I can still never get the lock open.

If only there was a PC guide for the damned thing...i.e. telling us when to press certain buttons, how to interpret the noises, etc.

you want to get the line to be as wide as possible. i did about 90% of them only using the A and D keys. the rest got very close with the A & D and then i used one of the mouse buttons just slightly to lock it in.

Honestly once you get the hang of this it's one of the easiest things in the game.

It took me a minute to figure out the method to this do-hickey-majigger. I was pressing A+D +LMB+RMB and just clicking them like crazy until the game or the lock blew up, luckily it was the lock.

I'm using and Xbox controller and it uses the analog sticks to tune- pretty simple.

Probably makes more sense on the 360 controller for windows, which i have.

You fiddle with the main stick until the controller starts vibrating, then fiddle with the second stick till it goes green.

The lights are how many times you have to crack it.

The controller is only 17 quid from play.com. and batman is more fun with all the rumbling bits.

I use a mouse and keyboard and I don't have any problems using the cryptographic sequencer, after the first time I used it I pretty much mastered it.

a good tip is to start adjusting one control stick, slider, whatever you call it, once the screen has turned a little green, adjust the last one

You've got to be kidding.

A-D, Left Click-Right Click

It's astoundingly simple. If you can't master that I'm thoroughly amazed that you can operate a computer at all.

You've got to be kidding.

A-D, Left Click-Right Click

It's astoundingly simple. If you can't master that I'm thoroughly amazed that you can operate a computer at all.
    The other advice and comments were more useful than yours. It's not always A-D, left click right click. As was pointed out prior, you should just experiment with A and D first, then try working in a few left clicks and right clicks. I tried the XBox version of the game and it's MUCH easier, because the controller essentially does the work for you.

And your final insult at the end of your statement was not called for. -_-

Anyway, for the others who didn't stoop to insults, thanks for your comments! They were helpful.

whats a computer?

320GB SATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M 1GB
    Windows Vista 64 bit
    Retail edition of GTAIV

GFWL Gamertag- Johnny Pessetti

It took me a while to figure it out as well. The way I perceived how the controls work is that A and D are fine tune increment keys. While the Left and Right mouse buttons are larger increments. Basically I was pressing either the left or right mouse buttons until I saw a flash of green. Then I used the A or D key respectively to get the green more into alignment. However sometimes I found that some required a combination of all 4 at the same time.

it isn't overly clear; i got through loads with only the A button.. then got stuck on one of the panels and as i was drinking a mug of Tea tried the left click .. and realised that one operated Batman's right hand; you gotta use both

needless to say, the rest were easy after working that one out!
    http://www.buildyourimagination.co.uk

I move the a-d key or press the left or right button on the mouse till it's greenish and the line is all squiggly and the use the buttons I didn't use the first time to get the green screen then press the mouse buttons at once. I didn't figure that out till later in the game...in the botanical gardens I think.
    "Your life is governed by fear every decision you make is a product of that fear"

It took me a while to realise that "A and D" and the mouse buttons controlled the two seperate dials as well. The key is to get both of these dials in the correct position and the waveform on the screen gives you a "warmer-colder" hint: as the waveform gets higher (and greener) the closer you are to the correct position. When both are in the correct position, it glows bright green.

Both dials "loop" around, so you don't have any worry about starting to turn them the wrong way: concentrate on one of the dials first, getting it as large a wave form as possible, then focus on the other dial.

Also, the upgrade to the gadget seems to make things a lot easier: about 90% of the time it only seems to need to readjustment on the left dial (A + D) and you'll probably find at least one or two where both dials start in the correct position and don't even need you to do anything!

Here is the technique for using the sequencer:

(1) Select the sequencer from among Batman's tools. I think the default is [4].
    (2) With the target control panel in view, hold down [Right Mouse Button]. The sequencer will home in on the control panel. Once homed in, click [Left Mouse Button] to activate the sequencer. Your view of Batman will change so that you are able to see the screen on the sequencer.
    (3) The sequencer has two knobs, one each for Batman's left and right hands. Each knob is controlled by two buttons on your keyboard (for a total of 4 buttons that control the sequencer):
    [A] tunes the left knob counterclockwise
    [D] tunes the left knob clockwise
    [Left Mouse Button] tunes the right knob counterclockwise
    [Right Mouse Button] tunes the right knob clockwise
    (4) The objective is to tune both knobs until the wave on the sequencer's screen is continuously green and at its maximum wavelength and frequency, which will cause the control panel to short circuit.
    (5) Tune each knob separately until it is in the correct position. It doesn't matter whether you start with the left knob or the right knob. A knob is in the correct position when the the wave on the screen is at its maximum wavelength and frequency. One knob is often sufficient to turn the wave from yellow to green, but that isn't always the case. Just tune the knob until you reach the maximum wavelength and frequency possible, even though it might still be yellow. Importantly, once you have tuned the knob to the correct position, stop tuning.
    (6) Next, tune the other knob separately until it reaches the correct position. The correct position for that knob will, in conjunction with the previous knob (which is already in the correct position), make the wave become continuously green.

For example, a particular control panel might require you to first tune the left knob to 38 degrees and then the right knob to 129 degrees, such that the sequencer screen is continuously green. When I first started using the sequencer, I mistakenly kept moving the knobs continuously. The trick is to tune each knob separately, and to stop tuning once you reach the correct position on each knob.

(6) Some control panels may require you to repeat the tuning process several times in succession. This is indicated by blinking lights on the control panel itself (and not on the sequencer's screen). If there are three blinking lights, you will have to complete three rounds of the tuning process. After each successful round, a blinking light will become solid.

I hope this helps.

I found that the locks with the green canisters attached to them took 3 attempts, whereas, the normal ones took 1 attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob21C_UK View Post
    I found that the locks with the green canisters attached to them took 3 attempts, whereas, the normal ones took 1 attempt.
    It's not 3 attempts you guys...it's there are 3 locks that are on the boxes rigged with Joker toxin. You have to solve it 3 times before the gas gets set off! The orange dots below each box are the difficulty rank of each one. So if you see one that only has 1 dot, there is a huge range of area you could have the "Green Beam" to unlock it. If it has 5, it pretty much has to be dead on, or you won't get it. You can unlock the upgrade for easier decryption, but I found that upgrade to be pretty useless in my opinion.
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

The thing that really got me to realize that I was controlling two different dials was to watch Batman's thumbs. A-D will move his left thumb and the mouse buttons his right thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by JSK103 View Post
    The thing that really got me to realize that I was controlling two different dials was to watch Batman's thumbs. A-D will move his left thumb and the mouse buttons his right thumb.
    which i thought was a nice touch and really made ya feel in control of the process

The only other advice I can give besides the above: just tap the buttons slow, patient, and watch the wave grow. You don't press and hold for long, or it will never slowly lock onto the signal

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein's Monster View Post
    Here is the technique for using the sequencer:
    Thank you!

This is something that definitely should have been documented more thoroughly either on-screen or in the manual. Just putting "A-D-LeftButton-RightButton" on the screen doesn't tell me much of anything. In most games, that would mean "press and hold all of these keys simultaneously," which is actually what I was trying to do!

i didn't ever see the use in rightclicking there.
    after the first tries i always searched with A , D for when the screens lights green. after that i clicked the left mousebutton only until the position was reached, where it stayed green.

and honestly, the game is already not THAT hard, so i prefer the pc controls there ;P

The 360 controller is ideal for the cryptographic sequencer parts because the analog sticks can be tuned to the proper frequency and the controller rumbles according to the tone. You can almost close your eyes and do it just by rumble alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast