Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Batman: Arkham Asylum > Batman: Arkham Asylum General Discussion

Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 PM
New Player

Default The Jokers REAL name

What i can't understand about this game is that it lists the Joker's real name as UNKNOWN but in the original batman movie (1989) he is named as Jack Napier why did DC comics not pick this up?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfi86 View Post
What i can't understand about this game is that it lists the Joker's real name as UNKNOWN but in the original batman movie (1989) he is named as Jack Napier why did DC comics not pick this up?
Different universe than the movie. The Joker has no real name.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Gamer

Because it wasn't canonical to the comics.
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
This is the end
Of Solomon Grundy
Old 09-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Protagonist

Because Joe Chill killed Thomas and Martha Wayne. They gave the murders to the Joker's alter ego in that film to make it convenient for Batman to have such a personal connection with his enemy.

Consider Batman '89 to be about as relevant as The Dark Knight Returns, or any other one-off story.

The fact of the matter is that the Joker's identity remains unknown, and this is played up in The Dark Knight film.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM
New Player

Same reason they didn't pick up Jack Napier being the killer of Bruce Waynes parents.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Hero

Because Batman is the world's greatest detective, and even he can't crack who the Joker was. It adds flair to his character.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Gamer

Listen. Joker will always be Jack White in my book.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Gamer

Also about the 1989 film Batman killed. The original comic he did but it is no hero that does that. The movie is Tim's vision great film though.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Gamer

Tim Burton made that name up , The Joker was a unknown from the start like in The Dark Knight.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtombombadil View Post
Listen. Joker will always be Jack White in my book.
Is your book drenched and water, and ripped up? Haha.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Gamer

I like his name as Joe Kerr, because that would make his whole fascination with the Joker card even more surreal. I didn't mind Jack Napier, that's a good name. Never liked Jack White, kinda felt that was a stupid name.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Protagonist

By the comics: No name
By Tim Burton: Jack Napier
By the adventures Batman and Robin: I think it was Napier again...
(Homage or not, that's the name they gave him ^)

I really don't remeber much of the universes names/no-names but the only name he's ever gotten, and he's gotten it in more than one universe, is Jack Napier.
In the comic cannon, no, he has no name.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWinz View Post
By the comics: No name
By Tim Burton: Jack Napier
By the adventures Batman and Robin: I think it was Napier again...
(Homage or not, that's the name they gave him ^)

I really don't remeber much of the universes names/no-names but the only name he's ever gotten, and he's gotten it in more than one universe, is Jack Napier.
In the comic cannon, no, he has no name.
It was later retconned into being one of many alias's he's used, making his name ambiguous in that universe.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Daka View Post
I like his name as Joe Kerr, because that would make his whole fascination with the Joker card even more surreal.
Yeah, that wouldn't be at all moronic would it?
Just like Victor Fries or Humphrey Dumpler or Edward Nigma.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Gamer

It's not canon. As said above, Burton's universe is unconnected to mainstream canon, like TDKR. Joe Chill killed the Waynes, but Burton made it Joker before he became Joker - "Jack Napier".

One of the TV shows or comics (not sure which) gave his name as Napier as a reference to Burton's movie. But in mainstream canon, he's nameless, like in TDK.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:53 AM
Gamer

I was just thinking about this yesterday and its weird how DC has things set up. The Jokers real name in the 1989 movie was Jack Napier and I know in Batman the animated series that came on in the early 90's Jokers name was Jack Napier in that aswell, and they got people from the animated series to do voices for this game. I'm not 100% sure if they mention his real name in the comics, but for people to know that for sure they would really have to know the whole history of the comics, some people below say Tim Burton made the name up and that could very well be true.

Also, for the fun of it, while playing through the game numberous of times and looking for hidden stuff I came across something interesting. During the 2nd run-in with the scarecrow when you witness Bruce Waynes parents dead and you play him as a child, go the opposite direction and pay close attention to the ground because there is a document on the ground thats labelled "Insane" and has random pictures of some dude (maybe the jack before the accident?) and a joker card laying on the ground. Could that be hinting that the Joker was the gunman who killed Bruce's parents? it certainly looked like it to me.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:09 AM
Protagonist

Joker in Batman the animated serie was also unknown. Jack Napier was mentioned as tribute but it was said to be one of the many aliases of his, as it is.

Tim Burton made up Jack Napier from two Batman actors. Jack Nicholson and Alan Napier (Alfred from 60s Batman show).

Joe Chill is the murderor of Batman's parents in this universe aswell, isn't it mentioned in the character biographys?
Old 09-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyShadow44 View Post
I was just thinking about this yesterday and its weird how DC has things set up. The Jokers real name in the 1989 movie was Jack Napier and I know in Batman the animated series that came on in the early 90's Jokers name was Jack Napier in that aswell, and they got people from the animated series to do voices for this game. I'm not 100% sure if they mention his real name in the comics, but for people to know that for sure they would really have to know the whole history of the comics, some people below say Tim Burton made the name up and that could very well be true.

Also, for the fun of it, while playing through the game numberous of times and looking for hidden stuff I came across something interesting. During the 2nd run-in with the scarecrow when you witness Bruce Waynes parents dead and you play him as a child, go the opposite direction and pay close attention to the ground because there is a document on the ground thats labelled "Insane" and has random pictures of some dude (maybe the jack before the accident?) and a joker card laying on the ground. Could that be hinting that the Joker was the gunman who killed Bruce's parents? it certainly looked like it to me.
Joker only killed Thomas and Martha in the Burton-verse. In every (well, most) other continuities, it's Joe Chill.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazar View Post
Joe Chill is the murderor of Batman's parents in this universe aswell, isn't it mentioned in the character biographys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn and Face the Strange View Post
Joker only killed Thomas and Martha in the Burton-verse. In every (well, most) other continuities, it's Joe Chill.
The last reboot of the comics I saw (the Zero issue, back in the nineties) said Batman never found out who killed his parents. Not sure if they've changed it again since then or not. Here's a pic of it -

Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Protagonist

Joe Chill is the canonical murderor in the Batman universe, tho Morrison made subtle hints that Batman made Chill kill himself. It's one of the most controversy things in Morrison's run right now.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazar View Post
Joe Chill is the canonical murderor in the Batman universe, tho Morrison made subtle hints that Batman made Chill kill himself. It's one of the most controversy things in Morrison's run right now.
Actually, yeah, I just barely remember that now that you mention it. I didn't know that Morrison wrote that. I'd rather go by his version than anybody else's.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyShadow44 View Post
Those papers are scattered all throughout the game, especially in the records room. Anywhere you see a big stack of papers on the ground you see the insane mark on them as well as joker cards.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Yeah, that wouldn't be at all moronic would it?
Just like Victor Fries or Humphrey Dumpler or Edward Nigma.
There have been real people with the name Joe Kerr nicknamed "Joker", so no it wouldn't be moronic. Jack White is moronic to me because the last name is an obvious allusion to his skin being white, but seeing as he wasn't born that way the name is ironic in a statistically improbable way. & Riddler's real name is Edward Nashton & he uses "E. Nigma" as a joke on his name.... & your board name is Pogo, you shouldn't be one to talk about what is a moronic name.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Gamer

I like Joker's name to be unknown. You can create stories around that. Killing Joke is my favorite and that didn't even tell you his name. Joker is like play-do for writers.
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
This is the end
Of Solomon Grundy
Old 09-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Permanent Vacation

Joker=Mark Hamill