Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Batman: Arkham Asylum > Batman: Arkham Asylum General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 PM
wolfi86 wolfi86 is offline
New Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Default The Jokers REAL name

What i can't understand about this game is that it lists the Joker's real name as UNKNOWN but in the original batman movie (1989) he is named as Jack Napier why did DC comics not pick this up?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 PM
lt_skittles's Avatar
lt_skittles lt_skittles is offline
Protagonist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N.H., USA
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfi86 View Post
What i can't understand about this game is that it lists the Joker's real name as UNKNOWN but in the original batman movie (1989) he is named as Jack Napier why did DC comics not pick this up?
Different universe than the movie. The Joker has no real name.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Solomon Grundy's Avatar
Solomon Grundy Solomon Grundy is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 130
Default

Because it wasn't canonical to the comics.
__________________
Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
This is the end
Of Solomon Grundy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2009, 04:48 PM
stoobytoons's Avatar
stoobytoons stoobytoons is offline
Protagonist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,009
Default

Because Joe Chill killed Thomas and Martha Wayne. They gave the murders to the Joker's alter ego in that film to make it convenient for Batman to have such a personal connection with his enemy.

Consider Batman '89 to be about as relevant as The Dark Knight Returns, or any other one-off story.

The fact of the matter is that the Joker's identity remains unknown, and this is played up in The Dark Knight film.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.
__________________
"I make art until someone dies."
http://stoobytoons.deviantart.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Deacon Blackfire Deacon Blackfire is offline
New Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Same reason they didn't pick up Jack Napier being the killer of Bruce Waynes parents.
__________________
"I'm not about to let some masked vigilante stand in my way."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Old_BenKenobi Old_BenKenobi is offline
Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,403
Default

Because Batman is the world's greatest detective, and even he can't crack who the Joker was. It adds flair to his character.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM
iamtombombadil's Avatar
iamtombombadil iamtombombadil is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mirkwood Forest
Posts: 662
Default

Listen. Joker will always be Jack White in my book.
__________________
`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
brodudeman1's Avatar
brodudeman1 brodudeman1 is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 122
Default

Also about the 1989 film Batman killed. The original comic he did but it is no hero that does that. The movie is Tim's vision great film though.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2009, 07:07 PM
THRAXFOREVER's Avatar
THRAXFOREVER THRAXFOREVER is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 40
Default

Tim Burton made that name up , The Joker was a unknown from the start like in The Dark Knight.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2009, 07:09 PM
SolidSnake_123's Avatar
SolidSnake_123 SolidSnake_123 is offline
Protagonist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtombombadil View Post
Listen. Joker will always be Jack White in my book.
Is your book drenched and water, and ripped up? Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Prince Daka Prince Daka is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 423
Default

I like his name as Joe Kerr, because that would make his whole fascination with the Joker card even more surreal. I didn't mind Jack Napier, that's a good name. Never liked Jack White, kinda felt that was a stupid name.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2009, 08:42 PM
JackWinz's Avatar
JackWinz JackWinz is offline
Protagonist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,828
Default

By the comics: No name
By Tim Burton: Jack Napier
By the adventures Batman and Robin: I think it was Napier again...
(Homage or not, that's the name they gave him ^)

I really don't remeber much of the universes names/no-names but the only name he's ever gotten, and he's gotten it in more than one universe, is Jack Napier.
In the comic cannon, no, he has no name.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Old_BenKenobi Old_BenKenobi is offline
Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWinz View Post
By the comics: No name
By Tim Burton: Jack Napier
By the adventures Batman and Robin: I think it was Napier again...
(Homage or not, that's the name they gave him ^)

I really don't remeber much of the universes names/no-names but the only name he's ever gotten, and he's gotten it in more than one universe, is Jack Napier.
In the comic cannon, no, he has no name.
It was later retconned into being one of many alias's he's used, making his name ambiguous in that universe.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Pogo Pogo is offline
Permanent Vacation
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Daka View Post
I like his name as Joe Kerr, because that would make his whole fascination with the Joker card even more surreal.
Yeah, that wouldn't be at all moronic would it?
Just like Victor Fries or Humphrey Dumpler or Edward Nigma.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Turn and Face the Strange's Avatar
Turn and Face the Strange Turn and Face the Strange is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 833
Default

It's not canon. As said above, Burton's universe is unconnected to mainstream canon, like TDKR. Joe Chill killed the Waynes, but Burton made it Joker before he became Joker - "Jack Napier".

One of the TV shows or comics (not sure which) gave his name as Napier as a reference to Burton's movie. But in mainstream canon, he's nameless, like in TDK.
__________________
Poor little Batman. YOU'RE IN MY WORLD NOW! - Scarecrow, Batman: Arkham Asylum
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-20-2009, 03:53 AM
SkyShadow44's Avatar
SkyShadow44 SkyShadow44 is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36
Default

I was just thinking about this yesterday and its weird how DC has things set up. The Jokers real name in the 1989 movie was Jack Napier and I know in Batman the animated series that came on in the early 90's Jokers name was Jack Napier in that aswell, and they got people from the animated series to do voices for this game. I'm not 100% sure if they mention his real name in the comics, but for people to know that for sure they would really have to know the whole history of the comics, some people below say Tim Burton made the name up and that could very well be true.

Also, for the fun of it, while playing through the game numberous of times and looking for hidden stuff I came across something interesting. During the 2nd run-in with the scarecrow when you witness Bruce Waynes parents dead and you play him as a child, go the opposite direction and pay close attention to the ground because there is a document on the ground thats labelled "Insane" and has random pictures of some dude (maybe the jack before the accident?) and a joker card laying on the ground. Could that be hinting that the Joker was the gunman who killed Bruce's parents? it certainly looked like it to me.
__________________
§ky§hadow44
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-20-2009, 04:09 AM
Drazar's Avatar
Drazar Drazar is offline
Protagonist
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,831
Default

Joker in Batman the animated serie was also unknown. Jack Napier was mentioned as tribute but it was said to be one of the many aliases of his, as it is.

Tim Burton made up Jack Napier from two Batman actors. Jack Nicholson and Alan Napier (Alfred from 60s Batman show).

Joe Chill is the murderor of Batman's parents in this universe aswell, isn't it mentioned in the character biographys?
__________________
signature imageThoughts & Rambles
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Turn and Face the Strange's Avatar
Turn and Face the Strange Turn and Face the Strange is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyShadow44 View Post
I was just thinking about this yesterday and its weird how DC has things set up. The Jokers real name in the 1989 movie was Jack Napier and I know in Batman the animated series that came on in the early 90's Jokers name was Jack Napier in that aswell, and they got people from the animated series to do voices for this game. I'm not 100% sure if they mention his real name in the comics, but for people to know that for sure they would really have to know the whole history of the comics, some people below say Tim Burton made the name up and that could very well be true.

Also, for the fun of it, while playing through the game numberous of times and looking for hidden stuff I came across something interesting. During the 2nd run-in with the scarecrow when you witness Bruce Waynes parents dead and you play him as a child, go the opposite direction and pay close attention to the ground because there is a document on the ground thats labelled "Insane" and has random pictures of some dude (maybe the jack before the accident?) and a joker card laying on the ground. Could that be hinting that the Joker was the gunman who killed Bruce's parents? it certainly looked like it to me.
Joker only killed Thomas and Martha in the Burton-verse. In every (well, most) other continuities, it's Joe Chill.
__________________
Poor little Batman. YOU'RE IN MY WORLD NOW! - Scarecrow, Batman: Arkham Asylum
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Sir Legendhead's Avatar
Sir Legendhead Sir Legendhead is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: IN BATCAVE
Posts: 672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazar View Post
Joe Chill is the murderor of Batman's parents in this universe aswell, isn't it mentioned in the character biographys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn and Face the Strange View Post
Joker only killed Thomas and Martha in the Burton-verse. In every (well, most) other continuities, it's Joe Chill.
The last reboot of the comics I saw (the Zero issue, back in the nineties) said Batman never found out who killed his parents. Not sure if they've changed it again since then or not. Here's a pic of it -

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Drazar's Avatar
Drazar Drazar is offline
Protagonist
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,831
Default

Joe Chill is the canonical murderor in the Batman universe, tho Morrison made subtle hints that Batman made Chill kill himself. It's one of the most controversy things in Morrison's run right now.
__________________
signature imageThoughts & Rambles
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Sir Legendhead's Avatar
Sir Legendhead Sir Legendhead is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: IN BATCAVE
Posts: 672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazar View Post
Joe Chill is the canonical murderor in the Batman universe, tho Morrison made subtle hints that Batman made Chill kill himself. It's one of the most controversy things in Morrison's run right now.
Actually, yeah, I just barely remember that now that you mention it. I didn't know that Morrison wrote that. I'd rather go by his version than anybody else's.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Larcenous Laugh Larcenous Laugh is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyShadow44 View Post
Also, for the fun of it, while playing through the game numberous of times and looking for hidden stuff I came across something interesting. During the 2nd run-in with the scarecrow when you witness Bruce Waynes parents dead and you play him as a child, go the opposite direction and pay close attention to the ground because there is a document on the ground thats labelled "Insane" and has random pictures of some dude (maybe the jack before the accident?) and a joker card laying on the ground. Could that be hinting that the Joker was the gunman who killed Bruce's parents? it certainly looked like it to me.
Those papers are scattered all throughout the game, especially in the records room. Anywhere you see a big stack of papers on the ground you see the insane mark on them as well as joker cards.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Prince Daka Prince Daka is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Yeah, that wouldn't be at all moronic would it?
Just like Victor Fries or Humphrey Dumpler or Edward Nigma.
There have been real people with the name Joe Kerr nicknamed "Joker", so no it wouldn't be moronic. Jack White is moronic to me because the last name is an obvious allusion to his skin being white, but seeing as he wasn't born that way the name is ironic in a statistically improbable way. & Riddler's real name is Edward Nashton & he uses "E. Nigma" as a joke on his name.... & your board name is Pogo, you shouldn't be one to talk about what is a moronic name.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Solomon Grundy's Avatar
Solomon Grundy Solomon Grundy is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 130
Default

I like Joker's name to be unknown. You can create stories around that. Killing Joke is my favorite and that didn't even tell you his name. Joker is like play-do for writers.
__________________
Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
This is the end
Of Solomon Grundy
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Matches_Malone Matches_Malone is offline
Permanent Vacation
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WISCONSIN
Posts: 18
Default

Joker=Mark Hamill
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, jack napier, joker, real name

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.