Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Commandos Series > Commandos - Technical Forum

Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 AM
New Player

Thumbs up Commandos-BEL Loader (fixes)

so, after some time... i came up with the first version of this program... it fixes the speed problem, without using some fancy speed limiter (so it's stable), plus i'm working on some enchancements for this great classic game...

so the main features are:
fixed fps control / force windowed mode

i also added an experimental OpenGL render... that allow some other things, like fixed resolution while in windowed mode (help when you play multiplayer that is force to be 640x480), also added motion smooth/noise/hq2x as enchancers... and if you have vsync enabled in OpenGL then the game will run in sync... so no tearing, but since its OpenGL it will require a good pc to run in this mode. (far from a problem considering the standard is above 1gb) ^^"

vista users probabily already start the commandos as window xp compatibility mode... (or less) so the same apply to this loader (especially if you're using the OpenGL render mode), but i hope that everything will be fine

so i dont have the steam version, then i'm not sure what need to change to make it work there... there's a possibiliy that this also work for Commandos-BCOD, but i didnt tested.

there are some advices...

1) if you start in fullscreen, avoid change to windowed mode (alt+enter) that may lead to crash... the reverse action (try to fullscreen when windowed mode) is safe, but it will not go to fullscreen.
2) the custom resolution mode seems to be working ok, but dont try to change to fullscreen, cuz that is under control yet :P
3) so as you can see almost all features are based for windowed mode... but at least if you're under a big resolution you can play without fullscreen... or distortion (widescreen monitors)
4) and just to remember as in the original windoed is only avaliable if you keep desktop at 16bits, so the app have a option to that, and will warn you, if you're in 32bits when you start the game.. i plan to remove this dependency in future.
5) since the loader inject itself in the commandos process, some anti-virus or protection tools may warn you... but so that's normal from this kind of application ^^"

hope you guys enjoy... bugs/feature... here :P

Download Version 0.8 beta:
http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploa...bel-loader.rar

Installation:
Extract the .rar in commandos folder, and run the BEL-Loader
Choose your commandos executable file clicking on (...)
Set your configs... and START it!

Last edited by Mysoft; 07-14-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 AM
New Player

thanks man, that helped alot =)
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
New Player

Thanks for this program. Now the speed on the soldiers is much better. But I noticed a problem with this program, the save/load is very very slow.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 AM
New Player

What's exactly do this program? I have tried it in my PC with Windows 7 RTM and it works fine.... but now i have a bad problem with my 9800GT!

Since i've used this program i can't play any other game (GTA4, Call Of Juarez, FIFA, or 3d marks) because after 1 or 2 minutes the drivers crashes!!

The error i have is "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered - nvlddmkm nVidia Driver" and i have this problem only since i've tried the BELloader!

Tried to reinstall Forceware, tried to format and reinstall Windows 7 and Windows Vista too... tried to downgrade my Forceware to an older version... nothing to do!

So i don't want to accuse this good little software, but only know if it's configuring or modify some low level setting on the VGA!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:41 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by torstenius View Post
Thanks for this program. Now the speed on the soldiers is much better. But I noticed a problem with this program, the save/load is very very slow.
sorry for the really late answers...

yeah... that's cuz the "save speed" is directly proportional to the frame time... so since i limited the frame rate... it also limited the save speed... (bad coded :<)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less1 View Post
What's exactly do this program? I have tried it in my PC with Windows 7 RTM and it works fine.... but now i have a bad problem with my 9800GT!

Since i've used this program i can't play any other game (GTA4, Call Of Juarez, FIFA, or 3d marks) because after 1 or 2 minutes the drivers crashes!!

The error i have is "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered - nvlddmkm nVidia Driver" and i have this problem only since i've tried the BELloader!

Tried to reinstall Forceware, tried to format and reinstall Windows 7 and Windows Vista too... tried to downgrade my Forceware to an older version... nothing to do!

So i don't want to accuse this good little software, but only know if it's configuring or modify some low level setting on the VGA!
also except for the optional fix on "commandos registry entry" (to fix the cd-rom problem) the program doesnt change any configs... all it does is intercept the function that updates the screen... wait for a bit (to achieve correct speed rate)...
and in OpenGL mode it also copies the screen buffer to an OpenGL texture to do a scaled render...

so im forced to believe that it was just a coincidence...
Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Gamer

very good work i just need this type of software
Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
New Player

Default Update?

Hi there. New here. I'm loving this app. Works perfectly for playing the game at the original speed with the frame limiter. Thankyou! Although when I try to use windowed or OpenGL mode, it opens, but then when I click within the window it doesn't respond and it crashes. Also when I'm playing it normally with just the limiter, when I quit the game, I have to end the Comandos.exe process in Task Manager. Like, it doesn't close the game properly. Just wondering if you're going to look into it and release another version with these fixes?

Thanks in advance,

Damon
Old 04-05-2010, 03:17 PM
New Player

Link for download don't work
Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 AM
New Player

omg, wheres the link man, help us!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
New Player

Dangit, I've been working on this game for the last few days, finally got the game to actually
work and I have the dreaded speed problem like everyone else, I finally found this post with
your program that will save my life, and the link is broken, I beg of you, please repost working link.

BTW all: a trick I figured out was to alt tab out and open several different commandos sessions one at a time, after opening each one check the speeds in the first one you open every time you load a new one until eventually it is running how you want it, this seems to work better for me than the cpu limiting programs.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Gamer

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AD1JSGX3