Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thief: Deadly Shadows says "Thief: Deadly Shadows has stopped working" when starting

You disabled the CPU to run on a single core. Right?

You checked to see if your Radeon Card has caused other people problems and if you needed to back to a older ATI Driver?

THIEF (all versions) was not written to run on Vista, and the newer Vcards and Graphic drivers have had problems with THIEF.

There is no single answer to your problem due to the differences in the large variety of system specs.

Is your system a DELL, a Hewlett Packard, a Fujitsu. Is it a Laptop or Desktop.

Good luck. I hope some Vista techie or user can offer you some help.

At the moment THERE IS NO FIX THAT WILL ABSOLUTELY/POSITIVELY MAKE TDS RUN ON VISTA>

All you can do is to keep trying the various "Fixes" that have been offered, starting with run the CPU on a single core. There are instructions for doing that.

I have the same problem, crashes when I start it up. I've tried almost everything except the switching to single core to dual, can someone tell me how to do that, please? I couldn't found out how.

Heres my computer specs if it helps
    Vista 64 bit
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.61 GHz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    GeForce 8800 GTX

I really want to play this game, so if anyone can help, please. Thank you.

Try this first. Start the game (to main menu) but not the graphics. Then go into the Task Manager (CRTL-ALT-DEL, select Task Manager), then select the process tab, then find two processes, t3main.exe and t3.exe. One of these starts T3, and the other one is automatically loaded. Both must be running. On each of these processes in turn, right click on the process name in the list and set affinity to one processor by unchecking one of the 2 CPU boxes. When they are both running on one processor, then try the graphics. If that setting affinity solves your problem, then you need to make it permanent.

Normally, e.g., in T1 and T2, you can use imagecfg to change the affinity of an EXE permanently. See http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guides/hyperthreading/ . However, one of these T3 EXEs (I think it is T3.exe, but I forget) will not change that way. So you need a launcher that will do it on launch in real time. I use ProcessWatch to do that. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...sWatchV2.shtml Set it up so both T3.exe and T3main.exe are watched and have affinity set to one processor on launch.

That didn't work, unless I'm doing it wrong, but I don't think so. I can't even start the game, I double click the icon for Thief and it immediately crashes and says "Thief: Deadly Shadows has stopped working" so I can't get to the main menu.

Well, there must be something wrong with starting it in Vista 64 bit. I have no idea what it could be. Dual core fix will not help if it crashes immediately.

Hey, could you please pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease please

HELP ME!!!!

I could play this game before for some reason but I lost the disk (it said it runs on vista at the back of the cover) so i downloaded an iso image and mounted it to make it a virtual cd, so basically it was just like i had recovered my long lost disk, however, after reinstalling it and etc, it says "program has stopped working" Ive got vista with pixel shaders and direct x etc.

My laptop:
    vista basic (laptop)
    1.60Ghz 1gb RAM
    120gb hard disk
    ATI Radeon X1500
    AMD Athlon (Single processor)

SO PLEASE HELP ME OR POST ME THE SOLUTION PLEEEEEEESE:
    My e-mail address is:
    exaflare360@yahoo.com

THANK YOU, I LOVE THIS GAME

PS: I tried setting compatibility to various PCs but no can do, also I cannot disable DEP and no need to talk about setting affinity since ive only got a single processor only.
    i mainly tried editing t3.exe and t3main.exe
    Thanks

plzzzzz pm me i have da same problem t3 has stopped workin plzzz help fahad_warriorwithin@hotmail.com need da solution to dis problem fahad_warriorwithin@hotmail.com plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i rly rly need it !!!!
    Last edited by Fahad; 01-02-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Default back

I guess I should have stayed around more than a month after posting.

I've sent replies to everyone that inquired, in case they still care, and I'll keep an eye on this more often if any more people still need to know.

fuji if you still check this thread or someone else can you please mail me the solution... ive tried executing it on only one core, running as an admin, compatibility mode, disabled DEP, i cant find the save game entry in the registry, its not where the other guy said it would be, googled and searched like crazy looking for a solution but cant find one, i get to the mission briefing screen, then click start and it tells me the program has stopped working and forces me to close it, im using vista 32 bit by the way

my email is oblique465@yahoo.com

I'm also looking for the answer to this question. Would it be possible for you to PM me the answer if you come this way?
    Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by fujikazu View Post
    can't tell you how. Not allowed here. lol o well
    Could you PM me the fix as well?

Thanks

Unhappy Helpp!!!

Guys plz help me if u know any way to run thief 3 on vista!!!!!
    my email id is briansilasluke@gmail,com

plz post any posible help

PM please?

If this fix is still up to date, I'd like to know it too

Please PM me, or send it to roper2@web.de , thank you

I would like to know if this fix is still available too. I am supposed to do some FM testing for someone and I can not get Thief 3 to start on Windows 7...the same BEX issue others are having. Man, really would have been nice if Eidos had fixed this for us.

You might as well go with SneakyUpgrade.
    If anything needs to be adjusted, then this tool should do the job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12