Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some new info from a Czech website

Skills have been replaced with augs... they were in IW and most people didn't like that...

No... ,except for shooting skills, they have been preserved.
    Last edited by a house; 01-28-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: A COMMA

Sounds great.

I still can't get this niggling thing out of my head that there's no way to have a "social aug" that's purely mechanical, without some kind of neurosurgery. but then, would neurosurgery count as nano-augmentation?

Also, what about stuff like the 'microsofts' in Neuromancer? it's "mechanical" to some degree because it is physical and tangible yet it still interfaces with the brain by sticking it in your head.
    I guess the word 'mechanical' is used quite loosely just to mean things that can be physically attached.
    Last edited by Absentia; 01-28-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Absentia View Post
    Sounds great.

I still can't get this niggling thing out of my head that there's no way to have a "social aug" that's purely mechanical, without some kind of neurosurgery. but then, would neurosurgery count as nano-augmentation?

Also, what about stuff like the 'microsofts' in Neuromancer? it's "mechanical" to some degree because it is physical and tangible yet it still interfaces with the brain by sticking it in your head.
    I guess the word 'mechanical' is used quite loosely just to mean things that can be physically attached.
    maybe it's a tex avery invention... like something that sprays cologne on you after you've been in the sewer and need to hang at a nightclub.

seriously though, it could be a mechanism that emits... what ever those rays are that can lull people into complacency. beta waves? dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by a house View Post

No... ,except for shooting skills, they have been preserved.
    No, they have been replaced with augs.
    It says: "Augs are sorted in four categories: combat, stealth, hacking&lockpicking and social augs."
    Hacking and lockpicking will be an aug, not a skill. Same for the "social" thingy. Combat skills (i.e. aiming, handling) are the only ones left, and they're not even present as skills or augs (those "combat augs" are things like "a devestating series of matrial arts"). They said it before as well ("DX3 will feature an RPG system, but it will not improve your aim because that was frustrating. In Deus Ex 3 we work with a system of mechanical upgrades which offer clear and cool advantages.")

Sounds great.

I guess the main distinction that should be made between mech augs and nano augs is their difference in size (obviously) and the absence of nanites. Brain implants are perfectly practical on the larger 'mechanical' scale. I suppose the presence of normal sized electrodes in the brain should be considered mechanical implants.
    JC had nanites clinging to his very synapses so there's much more finesse possible there!

-the world is ruled by megacorporations, more powerful than national governments. The conspiracy groups are setting these corporations against each other.
    I'm okay with that.

-the black ops slaughter the research division of the corporation Adam works at. The questions who and why is behind the attack are answered relatively soon into the game, however more serious questions arise with the answers.
    OKAY, BLACK OPS PROBLEM SOLVED, THANK YOU EM!!!!

-You will be regularly visiting Adam's apartment with many reminiscences of his past like photos and a diary
    A nice substitute for UNATCO/Tong's Base/etc., plus it looks great. Nice stuff.

-The game takes place in five well-known metropoleis, mentioned were Shanghai, Detroit and Montreal
    Ergo, they're probably greatly detailed.

-Women play a large role in the game, some of them you've known for a long time, others will try to seduce or betray you, depending on your previous actions
    ...JC is cold as to women. Jensen better not be some suave er.

-Bosses are included, their difficulty also depending on your previous actions
    I like that idea.

-The secret societies are just puppets for a shadowy figure who wants to take control over all of the market, society, and the human evolution.
    F**KING LUCIUS

-The events of the game will lead to the establishment of UNATCO
    Beautiful. Because...
    a) Now we know it's a prequel.
    b) HELL YEAH SAM CARTER (lol, and put Shannon in there for laughs. Maybe an HR rep? )

-The main villain is to be 'similiar' to Jensen
    . Clone.

WAIT, if Jensen is a clone of Simons, I'm going to explode.

-a rescue mission across the globe later in the game
    Hurm...if it's a girlfriend, game over. If it's a friend like Tong, EXCELLENCE. If it's some kind of "oracle" with the "secret" to all of the conspiracies, then the mass suicide is on.

-squad based combat AI with a visually identifiable squad leader
    Hmm...two sides to this one:

1- It's been done. Enough.
    2- If they go the direction of NSF-type rebellion, I am THERE.

Augs are sorted in four categories: combat, stealth, hacking&lockpicking and social augs
    Confession here: I don't like skill systems. They're frustrating.

This was some awesome news. Damn you, EM! Now I'm pumped!
    Last edited by AaronJ; 01-28-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Gah, I'm not pleased. I'm now expecting to see crappy "Charm" and "Pistol Damage Increase" aug. Screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    I edited the translation for more clarity, as I couldn't translate the word technology at first (thought it was "technique" and couldn't make sense out of it) The article explicitly mentions combat skills and experience points. And iirc Rene mentioned you will be able to take sides in the transhumanism conflict, meaning there will have to be some sort of more natural alternative to augs.
    Eh? Up to four upgrades per weapon? If there wasn't a translation error and it wasn't four upgrade types per weapon, it sounds a lot like a bad sign of cheapness and simplicity a la IW.
    No, it says exactly that. Could be that there are four types based on the where on the weapon it is and you can have one per each
    seriously though, it could be a mechanism that emits... what ever those rays are that can lull people into complacency. beta waves? dunno.
    Brainwave entrainment! That's a great idea for an aug!

So this difficulty bit about the bosses...is this something like Dynamic Difficulty, ala God-Hand? The better you do in the game, the less damage you take, etc, the higher the difficulty goes, until you reach the point where it's too hard, then it moves back and forth until it hits the ideal difficulty.
    Am I looking waaay too far into this, or is this game going to be even more impressive with the best difficulty system I've ever seen?

Quote Originally Posted by SemiAnonymous View Post
    So this difficulty bit about the bosses...is this something like Dynamic Difficulty, ala God-Hand? The better you do in the game, the less damage you take, etc, the higher the difficulty goes, until you reach the point where it's too hard, then it moves back and forth until it hits the ideal difficulty.
    Am I looking waaay too far into this, or is this game going to be even more impressive with the best difficulty system I've ever seen?
    Apparently it's decision-based. You'll have a more difficult boss if you've sold him an aug previously, but you'll have more cash.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
    F**KING LUCIUS
    I dont think so. "I had presidents and premiers eating out of my hand." I think he was talking about the beginning of the century. I can see Everet as the leader and Lucius as a retired Mentor.

Quote Originally Posted by InGroove2 View Post
    maybe it's a tex avery invention... like something that sprays cologne on you after you've been in the sewer and need to hang at a nightclub.

you could have probably end up with two types of social augmentations
    a) ones that involves actual interaction with the target like a mod to dispense pheromones and other psychotropic chemicals or even radiation based brain wave alteration.
    b) augmentations that let you monitor your target and get vital information like pupil dilation,pulse rate,stress levels which helps you fine tune your physical and verbal response.

I do not like this "hacking/lockpick aug" of which you speak. It sounds like simplification. As in removal of gameplay features. In DX1 you had multiple, overlapping ways to do things, and you were awarded different rewards for different actions.

Skills were improved through experience, which was gained through exploration and missions. Augs expanded upon your possibilities, and were found all over the place. Lockpicks and Multitools were found, just like Augs, but expanded upon your exploration, theft and stealth cappabilities. Weapon Mods made your weapons better, and could be found by exploring them and stealing them. Items gave you one-time-use special abilities, and were found, just like everything else. Money would let you replenish biochemical energy, buy weapons mods and items.

Basically, there was a nice overlap that didn't restrict you. If you had enough lockpicks and a good sence of importance, you could stick all your points in Pistols, and still pick all the locks you needed (I usually only put a few points in "lockpick" and "multitool," yet I always sneak around.) Don't want to put any points in enviromental? Get the Enviromental Protection Aug. Don't want that either? Buy a Hazmat Suit from that guy over there. (AFAIK, no one actually sells Hazmat Suits in DX.) Put all your Skill Points in Lockpick and Multitool and need to kill someone real quick? Stock up on Accuracy, Recoil and Reload weapon mods and the Targeting Aug and shoot the guy.

In DX, you had 4 paths to go (Skills, Augs, Items and Weapon Mods) with money, diplomacy and information gathering being an additional way to go about destroying and/or saving the world.

From what we've heard about DX3, they're merging pretty much the entirety of Items into Augs (So there won't be an alcohol aug. Fine. You know what I mean.) and splitting Skills into Augs and Weapons Mods. This means that there will be only 2 paths when compared to DX' 4. I do not like the sound of this.

(I do like the sound of the Mine Disarm aug though. Sounds cool.)

Quote Originally Posted by El_Bel View Post
    I dont think so. "I had presidents and premiers eating out of my hand." I think he was talking about the beginning of the century. I can see Everet as the leader and Lucius as a retired Mentor.
    I don't think he's that old.

Hurm...if it's a girlfriend, game over. If it's a friend like Tong, EXCELLENCE. If it's some kind of "oracle" with the "secret" to all of the conspiracies, then the mass suicide is on.
    If that's the case dude, I'll help you organize the suicide. But first we'll need to pay a visit to EM...
    Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

[QUOTE=AaronJ;936104]

[QUOTE]

I think that it would be nice to have Jensen be different from J.C., I don't wan't a J.C. clone, I'd rather have a more unique character.

I think that it would be nice to have Jensen be different from J.C., I don't wan't a J.C. clone, I'd rather have a more unique character.
    I agree. I understand that JC worked well because he was essentially a blank canvas for the player to mould and shape their own way, but it'd also be nice to play a character who does have more of an emotional involvement within the plot (also considering that Adam's mostly all human) but not so much that the player's decisions are tainted by the character. I guess the important thing is making the player feel the same way that Adam does, so that each decision is still justified within his personality and in the context of the situation, rather than being able to sling the character around like a puppet and the game having to remain ambiguous as to your true moral direction.
    Note: I do not disapprove of how DX handled this. JC does infact have personality, and most of the time it is retained regardless of the decision the player makes. Don't flame me.

Fallout 3 pretty much works in that way, and I know the whole idea is so that you make your OWN character, it still loses immersion in that the NPCs dont really care (that much) who you are or what youve done.

From the news, it does look like they're making the character's identity a large part of the game, which is great. Yes, immersion is making choices, but it is also having a great character you can actually relate to or empathize with.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by pha View Post
    "Augs are sorted in four categories: combat, stealth, hacking&lockpicking and social augs"

Social augs? Very interesting. I wonder if there's there a pheromone aug for those encounters with the female NPC's.
    I remember reading about "social" augs in the first feature in PC Zone, and I wasn't exactly sure how they would approach that one either.

However, now we know that observing characters' body language is going to play a part, perhaps one such social aug could be something to assist you in analysing it. Like maybe some visual aid that pops up to point out a certain action and tell you what it possibly means. Then that could help you decide which response you should choose to try and stay on someone's good side or challenge them effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by pha View Post
    That's why I said no NUMERIC limit. And the ability to upgrade a weapon doesn't mean it was flawed to begin with, you just extend its initial capacity.

Tedious? Did you expect a picnic? This is (supposedly) Deus Ex.
    numberic? that's kind of a meainingless distinction, no? i mean tecjhnically you could have 100 mods on the weapon as long as the percentage didn't get up to 100, but the percentage implies a numeric limit. unless i've got something wrong here.

tedious? DX wasn't tedious, it was a "shoot wisely or don't shoot at all" thing, a mind game. if you wanna call DX tedious... then bring on the tedium.
    HL is tedious, to me. general shooters are tedious to me. the thing that sets that game apart from most, for me, is that it's the only one that i found really has great tension and release, tension and release... you really feel it. but after hours and hours of it, with minimal story advancement, it's like... constipation.

I agree. I understand that JC worked well because he was essentially a blank canvas for the player to mould and shape their own way, but it'd also be nice to play a character who does have more of an emotional involvement within the plot (also considering that Adam's mostly all human) but not so much that the player's decisions are tainted by the character. I guess the important thing is making the player feel the same way that Adam does, so that each decision is still justified within his personality and in the context of the situation, rather than being able to sling the character around like a puppet and the game having to remain ambiguous as to your true moral direction.
    Note: I do not disapprove of how DX handled this. JC does infact have personality, and most of the time it is retained regardless of the decision the player makes. Don't flame me.

Fallout 3 pretty much works in that way, and I know the whole idea is so that you make your OWN character, it still loses immersion in that the NPCs dont really care (that much) who you are or what youve done.

From the news, it does look like they're making the character's identity a large part of the game, which is great. Yes, immersion is making choices, but it is also having a great character you can actually relate to or empathize with.
    That being said, having a lady's man Jensen would still be stupid.

I edited the translation for more clarity, as I couldn't translate the word technology at first (thought it was "technique" and couldn't make sense out of it) The article explicitly mentions combat skills and experience points. And iirc Rene mentioned you will be able to take sides in the transhumanism conflict, meaning there will have to be some sort of more natural alternative to augs.
    EM has said there won't be any weapons skills, only combat "skills". Skills have been replaced with augs, they have said that as well. You use experience points to invest in either weapon upgrades or augs.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
    Yeah, true. I just needed an opportunity to start rambling after being annoyed with F3 (However, the amount of macabre things you can do to people in the game makes up for it)

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    ...You use experience points to invest in either weapon upgrades or augs.
    What's that?? You're going to tell an arms dealer about your night out and...
    The article I've translated says you buy arms and augs for money.
    Better than being a "nice guy" You should have an option to turn a cold shoulder to them though.

Better than being a "nice guy" You should have an option to turn a cold shoulder to them though.
    Oh yes, that's a must.

Hooray, this info has appeared on wikipedia and dogsonacid! I revel in my internet fame!! But I must ask, where did wikipedia and its source get the info that you'll be able to visit the metropolises in any order you like??
    EDIT:I saved the internet
    Last edited by a house; 01-31-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast