Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Gamer

Default Some new info from a Czech website

New for me at least. Couldn't be buggered translating all of it, if anyone would like to: http://hratelne.centrum.cz/preview/c...html?id=623266

Quote:
-the world is ruled by megacorporations, more powerful than national governments. The conspiracy groups are setting these corporations against each other.

-the black ops slaughter the research division of the corporation Adam works at. The questions who and why is behind the attack are answered relatively soon into the game, however more serious questions arise with the answers.

-You will be regularly visiting Adam's apartment with many reminiscences of his past like photos and a diary

-The game takes place in five well-known metropoleis, mentioned were Shanghai, Detroit and Montreal

-Women play a large role in the game, some of them you've known for a long time, others will try to seduce or betray you, depending on your previous actions

-Bosses are included, their difficulty also depending on your previous actions

-The secret societies are just puppets for a shadowy figure who wants to take control over all of the market, society, and the human evolution.

-The events of the game will lead to the establishment of UNATCO

-The main villain is to be 'similiar' to Jensen

-a rescue mission across the globe later in the game

-squad based combat AI with a visually identifiable squad leader

Last edited by a house; 01-27-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a house View Post
-Women play a large role in the game, some of them you've known for a long time, others will try to seduce or betray you, depending on your previous actionshttp://hratelne.centrum.cz/preview/c...html?id=623266
Mmmmm. Film Noir Femmes Fatales. Will some of them be either a) Lesbians or b) Androids?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
-You will be regularly visiting Adam's apartment with many reminiscences of his past like photos and a diary
I like the apartment idea. It always feels good to have a safe haven, a place to call home, even if it's just temporary). It will probably be taken away from you some part later on, which also works great. Silent Hill 4, Thief: Deadly Shadows and so on.

The memories bit again reeks of Blade Runner and GitS. Wanna bet most, if not all, those memories, photos, etc. are false?

Quote:
Women play a large role in the game, some of them you've known for a long time, others will try to seduce or betray you, depending on your previous actions
You really shouldn't have ventured into that ladies room, Adam.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Baby Karkian

Quote:
The authors of a lot of betting on the identity of the player with Adam. Therefore, not surprising that you periodically return to their own apartment, which is equipped with numerous reminiscencemi the past. Photos, notebook, computer ... You can find all the data that the successful completion of the game, although you do not need, but which will help you understand hrdinovu personality and perhaps this strange world.
Quote:
with other implants to get the skills, such as the immediate explosion of mines... So-called augumentací should be in the game 20-30, but you can be sure that each of them will have to be valid.
I like the sound of these bits . Really pleased that there will be good focus on developing Adams character.
It seems to suggest an aggressive defense aug and that there will be 20-30 augmentations available.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Gamer

Quote:
I like that. And I hope, that the state of the apartment will be preserved between missions. So if I drop a rocket launcher on a couch, I should be able to recover it later.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Gamer

more details from here... http://bonusweb.idnes.cz/pc/preview/...review_das.idn
Quote:
-The secret societies are just puppets for a shadowy figure who wants to take control over all of the market, society, and the human evolution.

-The events of the game will lead to the establishment of UNATCO

-The main villain is to be 'similiar' to Jensen

-a rescue mission across the globe later in the game
Old 01-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Order of the Vine

Subtle plotlines are beginning to emerge and I'm excited!
Thanks for the links.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Gamer

Thanks

Sounds really interesting.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Gamer

Great news, things are really looking up. Five metropolises are definitely a step up from 3 in DX1 and 2 in DX2. Shanghai, Detroit and Montreal have been confirmed, then. Wonder what the other two are. I'm guessing there will be one from South Asia/Middle-East and probably one from Eastern Europe, like Russia or something. Or maybe another American city.

As for the women bit, I wonder if Maggie Chow will be included. I've always wanted to see more of her, as much as I think she's a double-crossing *.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Gamer

Nice. It sounds like a more interesting game than I was hoping for already.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
I wonder if Maggie Chow will be included. I've always wanted to see more of her
You don't say
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatwPIAT View Post
Mmmmm. Film Noir Femmes Fatales. Will some of them be either a) Lesbians or b) Androids?
Who cares, as long as we can bang them?

Go for the 'M' rating!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Ex-Eidos Montréal Community Guy

Was that translated into English by a native Czech speaker or was it done through a web tool like Babelfish?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Permanent Vacation

The posts by a house seem to be his own translation, the alternate version from spyhopping is machine translation.

If anyone wants me to, I may try translating the whole articles, but be warned: I don't know czech, so my translation will be based in equal parts on similarities with polish, online dictionaries and intuition. Should be more accurate than machine translation anyway.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 AM
New Player

Apartment + Women = Is it me or are the developers trying to develop a Bladerunner subplot in the game

Maybe someone who at first you were supposed to kill and will hopefully have the choice of doing so thoughout the game.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Gamer

Yea, I'm a native Czech speaker. Translated the sentences that I thought were new info. I should be able to provide a translation by friday. If anyone would like to have a go at translating, pick the second article I linked to, they all have the same structure and this one goes into more detail.

EDIT: Crud! I missed the bus!! You'll have the translation tonight then.

Last edited by a house; 01-27-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Gamer

here it is... enjoy
Quote:
It had seemed the second sequel to the famous Deus Ex is just utopia.
The Ion Storm studio had been closed down some time ago, Warren Spector and Harvey Smith, the spiritual fathers of the originals had scattered into other projects.

However Eidos had not forgotten about one of its most priced brands, so when they'd opened a new studio in Montreal they decided to christen it with the developement of Deus Ex 3. There is a more than hundred member team currently working on the game, with a large budget and a lot of ideas to make this an unforgettable experience.

The first Deus Ex took place in 2052, second one will take you to 2027. Therefore it is a prequel, telling a story prior to the events of the legendary original and its worse accepted, but still solid sequel.
Deus Ex had two main themes: transformation of a man by nanotechnology and motifs of a global conspiracy.
In the third Deus Ex, these events are just rising to horizon, however society is already starting to split up.

Huge cybernetic syndicates in many states outreach the power of national governments. Who can afford it, is helping himself by the use of mechanical implants.

How do the people put up with the fact that some of them are now much smarter, stronger and more competitive than others. Tension grows in a new form of racism, on the streets augmented people are bullied by groups of ordinary people.

In the upper levels of the out of sight high skyscrapers company strategists are planning how to sabotage the competition. In background of the companies operate secret societies, however even those are only puppets. Whose puppets though? Someone wants to take control over the entire market and society, but mainly over the human evolution!

At the start of the storyline skein is a man named Adam Jensen, his world has just come to a ruin as he works as a chief of security for one of these cybernetics syndicates.

One day a special commando breaks into the building and kills all the scientists. The attackers know every detail of Adam's security plan. Someone must have taken out information.

Anyway, Adam Jensen is the protagonist, whose story starts with looking for the perpetrators and their motives. Who it was we find out soon. But the answers Adam finds will lead to more questions and in the end a rescue mission across the globe. The main villain is apparentely very similiar to Jensen. Could he be one of his relatives?

Deus Ex 3 puts a stake on a strong identification of the player with the main character. You'll get your own apartment, filled with reminiscences on Adam's life up to now.

Pictures hang on walls, and there's a computer on the table which soon becomes filled with super secret data. Distinctive female characters should appear in the game some of share common past with Adam, some of them have an interest in common future. At least one of them, though, will cross his path as a foe.

Events of DX3 will lead to the establishment of UNATCO, a police organisation of which JC Denton, protagonist of the original, was a member. Even this time it will be possible to end the game in different ways, which will depend upon the player's choices.

The authors have a difficult goal ahead of them: create a unique style for DX3. Such as the original's, System Shock's, and the latest, Bioshock's.
In short and atmospheric enviroment, which would instaneously capture the player without even focusing on the plot.

For this reason the authors are looking back at renaissance, in which they see the bonding between man and nature. However in the world of DX3, people want to exceed nature. It is, however, mainly just a visual style.

Eidos Montreal doesn't hide that they liked Bioshock's Art Deco, but obviously they can't copy that, so they made their own style. Style which combines the rough style of pessimistic cyberpunk with surprisingly detailed renaissance elements. Rich areas therefore filled with golden colors, whereas darkness rules in the poor areas below.

DX3 will, unlike the original, have more of an action spirit. Unlike its predecessor, shooting won't be impacted by stats as much as player skill. But this doesn't mean the game got rid of RPG elements.

On the contrary - skills and augs you gain will impact the choice of your combat techniques. Therefore you will be getting better, without having to worry about artificial handicaps.

AI is to get better. Groups of enemies will have their easily identifiable squad leader, and who gets him as the fist one will have his work cut out for him, as the enemy group will lose its tactical abilities. AI is supposed to react to changes in player behavior or switching weapons.

Cover is important not just for them, but for the player as well, the authors are implementing an advanced cover system, not unlike in Rainbow Six: Vegas. You will stumble upon regular enemies, robots, and of course bosses. The bosses' difficulty will depend on your previous actions!

Of course augmentations can't be missing, implants which Adam will receive through time such as X-ray vision, 'claymore', which causes a crossfire explosion and 'multi-kill' which can kill 3-4 enemies in a visually attractive scene.

And the best one - when leaping from a building, some sort of wires shoot out of Adam's back, with which he will grapple the wall and be able to comfortably walk down. The rules for augs are that they each have unique visuals, cost money and you're able to upgrade them at least once.

Money are one in-game currency, experience the other. You get experience by completing missions. Money you either find or get. And there's supposed to be only a little. The player should be constantly making decisions on his investments among augs and weaponry.
Weapons can be customised by up to four upgrades, such as scopes. Each weapon will have unique upgrades.

Augs are sorted in four categories: combat, stealth, technology (like hacking and lockpicking) and dialogue augs.

Dialogues look ordinarily at first glance, you pick from a variety of options how to continue the convo, however it is also important to watch out for the facial expressions andy body language of the particular person, you can get a lot of crucial info from these and with a bit of luck, you will be able to pick the most suitable option.

The player will visit a total of five metropoleis, other than the previously announced Shanghai it should be Detroit and Montreal. The other two are not known. The main plot will lead Adam from one metropolis to another, but the player's actions, whether he will complete the side missions and in which order will he visit the key locations, will in each of the cities be entirely up to him.

Asking if we are looking forward to DX3 is probably needless. Of course we do. At the same time we're keeping our doubts whether the untouched team will understand the original's spirit and won't create just another action game in a quite interesting environment

Sure Bioshock has shown it can be done without heavy RPG elements, but nevertheless we expect a different style from DX. Which the authors promise up. Let's hope they will keep their promise, ad DX3 looks fantastic.

Last edited by a house; 01-28-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: edited the list of augs for more clarity
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Permanent Vacation

I can read Czech well enough to get the general gist, but not well enough to make good translation. Thanks for the link. I'll probably get more out of a translation, though.

Edit: A translation poped into existence while I was posting. Thanks.

Another edit: That's a very condensed translation.

Last edited by K^2; 01-27-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K^2 View Post
Another edit: That's a very condensed translation.
It's paragraph by paragraph. What do you mean? Didn't take too much time with it tbh, but I still think it's readable.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Permanent Vacation

I mean that it is very far from literal translation, but each paragraph has the same overall meaning. By condensed I mean that meaning is usually conveyed in fewer words in your translation. Also, I can't quite see where you got some of these things, but that's almost certainly due to my poor ability to read Czech. I don't understand about a fifth of the words used.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Gamer

Quote:
DX3 will, unlike the original, have more of an action spirit. Unlike its predecessor, shooting won't be impacted by stats as much as player skill. But this doesn't mean the game got rid of RPG elements.

On the contrary - skills and augs you gain will impact the choice of your combat techniques. Therefore you will be getting better, without having to worry about artificial handicaps.
I hope this means that skills are back in the game (they weren't in DX2), but that weapon skills (Rifles, Pistols, etc.) won't be making a comeback.

I'm okay with that. In DX1, weapon skills were so important, it made it hard to spend xp in anything else until far into the game.

So I guess what I mean to say is that I want more RPG elements, but I want them to be better balanced, without dumbing it down.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Loser Loverboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatwPIAT View Post
Or an army of Lesbien Space Robots... FROM OUTER SPACE!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Gamer

[QUOTE=pha;935817]

Eh? Up to four upgrades per weapon? If there wasn't a translation error and it wasn't four upgrade types per weapon, it sounds a lot like a bad sign of cheapness and simplicity a la IW.

In DX1, there was no numeric limit, therefore it was possible to upgrade, say, Mini Crossbow and use it effectively even with low Firearms skill. It allowed some variety and guile. In Invisible War, every weapon could be upgraded only twice, and without satisfying description of the upgrades' actual effect. "Increased Damage" etc. A pity that they've chosen an approach closer to IW.

QUOTE]

weird that you say this. i mean the two weapon upgrade thing was weak in IW for sure. but the system in DX was fun, but not realistic, barely real for the world DX was set in.

also there WAS a limit of weapon upgrades, up to 100percent for each stat of the gun.
which implied that you recieved a gun that was not working to full capacity, which is an odd anomoly.

i think that is what was inportant to me, that each weapon had it's own stats, a whole litany of them. ... that was exciting. in IW, for the m,ost part, a weapon was a weapon you couldn't really see the specs on anything.

i don't mind having a limit on the ability of the upgrades, i think it's cause the player to make harder choices and timlier choices. in DX, you just upgraded away without care.

i'm just bored to death of... say half life. you just get a gun and you have it forever and it never changes, and your ability to use it never changes, which gets you focussed on player skill.

i'm tired of games that are dedicated to physical skill, it takes away the craetivity of the player and forces them to learn a repeat a skill. that's sooo tedious. i couldn't even finish half life two. i love to look at it and drive the car and play the weight puzzles. but HOW LONG CAN I RUN AROUND BLOWING AWAY THE SAME ENEMY?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Protagonist

Augs are sorted in four categories: combat, stealth, hacking&lockpicking and social augs

Skills have been replaced with augs... they were in IW and most people didn't like that...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
Skills have been replaced with augs... they were in IW and most people didn't like that...
Only hacking. The rest of them was just removed without any replacement.