Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help on Coastal Thailand - Puppet No Longer (for Nintendo Wii)

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this forum, either saying they shared the same problem, or offering a workable solution. I am happy for all of ya'll that have gotten through, I am about to try this whole "restart" thing and "certain order" idea and pray that it works for me. Also, I have to say thanks to this forum because everyone has been either extremely helpful, understanding or nice. That's rare in a forum.

So happy hunting all, and I will update on hearing from Eidos and/or the pole appears.

P.S.

I feel special

My pics of the missing lever have made it on to a few websites talking about the glitch. I feel like I own just a piece of the internet now...

Default Success!!!

So I followed the Shiva directions in the order of the crystals etc and it worked! The pole was there! So off to see the rest of the game. I hate to see this "mexico" level I keep hearing about.

I just got the game last night (it was supposed to be a christmas present but I could not contain myself! ) and I had the very same problem - I am replaying now but I have to replay a whole chunk of the game. >_<

Anyway, I am really annoyed with the Wii version of the game.
    No Hand-to-hand combat.
    No shooting while perched or suspended from a pole.
    No sharks.
    No Bats.
    No [Small] Spiders.
    No Shooting underwater.
    No Sprinting.
    No option to turn the torch on and off.
    No carrying poles about and being able to use them as a weapon, swing or perch.
    No wide range of Gymnastics.
    No Blood.

How pants is that?
    Last edited by UMIST_For_Ever; 11-24-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Just for kicks, I played the "certain sequence" of gems again (I had a save file from prior to that point). No dice. And to be honest, I'm pretty sure I had played that sequence in that order the first time around to begin with.

I just don't see why restarting the game from the beginning would make the difference.

To cause even more questions. When I did it, I didn't restart from the VERY beginning. I happened to have a save file on an SD card (luck) that was saved at the beginning of Coastal Thailand on the boat. So I just played from there on.

Default Stressing.

I got this game as a girft and as I'm a massive TR fan...I obviously ripped it open and started playing straight away.
    As if the wii controls weren't frustrating enough..here we all are, stuck in the 2nd level!
    It's shocking that eidos haven's checked this game out properly, this shouldn't be happening.

However, I am going to skip home after college and try this new sequence out. Hopefully it works. It would be a sad day if it didnt.

Thank goodness you are all here to help me through this tough time :P
    xoxo-K

Default No idea why this worked

ok, went through Coastal Thailand again (from a previous save). Did the Shiva gem puzzle as per previous poster's recommendation and, guess what, pole has now appeared. What I did differently:
    lowered left arm first (the one with poles)
    tried left gem puzzle first (the one with missing gem) - moved a couple before exiting
    lowered right arm, did gem puzzle, got large gem, took small gem, put in big gem, raised right arm
    went back to left, did puzzle, got gem, put in gem and raised arm.

In my first play, I did the whole right arm first,loosened gem then did left.

I have no idea why (or if) this makes a difference. If it does, then some programmer deserves a stern talking to as it is too easy to do this the wrong way.

Don't know if any of this will make a difference to anyone else. Will keep an eye on this board to see if Eidos come up with any other solutions.

Still very annoyed with this. Hope there are no similar glitches further on.

As I posted earlier, I tried that sequence and it didn't work.

Over on the Technical thread on this topic, the Eidos administrator has left word that the problem is being worked on, and that he'll try to get back to us later today.

I wrote to Eidos complaining about the problem and this is what they answer:

Tomb Raider Underworld: Coastal Thailand Level

Solution
    After the MAP ROOM where they spin a large structure using Thor’s Gauntlet for the first time, a lever is sometimes not appearing (Lara would normally jump onto the lever and use her bodyweight to make it move downwards).

To rectify this, players should either:

1R -Revert back to a previous save and playthrough again.

2. -If the user already has an SD card they can use the attached saves and instructions below (note – they will lose all treasures they have collected if they use these).

http://support.eidosinteractive.com/...31&nav=0,1,372

1. Unzip “20081124 TRU Wii NTSC save.rar”

2. Place the contents of the unzipped folder onto an SD card.

3. Ensure the Wii is off and insert the SD Card into the Wii.

4. Boot up the Wii without the disc in.

5. Go to the Wii Options -> Select Save Data -> Select Wii -> Select SD Card.

6. Select the TR:Underworld file and then select the option copy to Wii memory

7. After save is copied remove SD card and reboot the Wii.

8. Start the game and Load the Save.

Quote Originally Posted by estrella View Post
    I wrote to Eidos complaining about the problem and this is what they answer:

Tomb Raider Underworld: Coastal Thailand Level

Solution
    After the MAP ROOM where they spin a large structure using Thor’s Gauntlet for the first time, a lever is sometimes not appearing (Lara would normally jump onto the lever and use her bodyweight to make it move downwards).

To rectify this, players should either:

1R -Revert back to a previous save and playthrough again.

2. -If the user already has an SD card they can use the attached saves and instructions below (note – they will lose all treasures they have collected if they use these).

http://support.eidosinteractive.com/...31&nav=0,1,372

Just so I know I'm understanding this correctly, Is this fixing the problem in the game or giving a way to get around the problem?

Thanks, estrella. I got that response too. Let us know if you tried the SD card thing and got it to work. When I tried to decompress the file I got an error message.

And the "start over from a prior save point" just doesn't work as a serious option, at least not as currently offered.

I have just seen this... the savegame that's offered for download is not zipped. I don't have the game just yet, but you'll have to create the directory structure to use it on Wii.

On the SD card, the data.bin file should go under this path:

private/wii/title/XXXX/data.bin

The issue here being that I don't know what's the game code for Underworld. I know Anniversary was RLRE, so if you want to try using their save, first copy your own save to the SD card, then just replace the data.bin file.

Thanks for the help, Treeble. Maybe someone can let us know if it at least works?

I don't have an SD card reader on my PC, so this is an academic issue for me. I suppose I could go get one, I know they're cheap, but honestly, I'd have no use for one aside from this game.

If worst comes to worst, as I suspect, I think I'll just wait for the free replacement disk I'm sure Eidos would be willing to provide...

Default My turn to eat crow...

Well, I have to apologize for doubting some of you who posted solutions. I tried going back and playing the game from prior saved positions before -- multiple, multiple times, actually -- without any success, so I doubted that the bar would ever appear.

As a last, last ditch effort on my own, I restarted the game FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, and this time, the bar at last appeared. Wow.

I'm relieved to be beyond that point, but I don't know what it was that I did any different this time. To be honest, I really didn't do anything different. Nothing out of the ordinary with the gems, or any other part of the game.

Starting over was quite a chore, and I can't guarantee success with it, but for those of you who don't feel like waiting for Eidos, you may wish to consider it. If so, good luck!

YAY!

Yay for Jonesy! I was realllllly hoping that you would get it to work especially being one of the first to run into the problem. I feel better that you got it, but I am sorry you had to start ALL the way over. As for EIDOS fixing the game, while i am glad the admins have noticed, knowing the Wii capabilities, there will be no way of fixing the game via patch or download. It will have to be a new game as far as I can tell. The providing of a save file was nice, but yes, it doesn't really "fix" the problem. For example, in a year from now, when some kid discovers TR, he will get this game and run into the same problem, but by that time.....there won't be any forums about it. So good luck to the rest who still need a fix, and don't get me wrong EIDOS, I still enjoy the game, I played through a few levels last night after I finally got mine working, and it was fairly enjoyable. Sure, there are gripes to be made about the Wii version, but thanks for continuing the TR series, this game isn't bad, it's just been overshadowed by a few glitches. I look forward to the next installment, sans glitches.

Thanks, Giz03mo.

I feel the same way you do about the game, I think. I love the Tomb Raider series, and am having fun with Underworld. But boy, that glitch sure took some of the joy out of the experience.

Default Fixed It

My wonderful programming husband fix the problem with this

this does work!

I GOT POLE

mrs.kitty

I've been keeping up with all the post regarding this problem. I am playing on the Wii. For what it is worth I played thru the first time without any problems. I did the left arm of the Shiva first. Went back to the place on the left side where I got the gem and was able to remove a gem from the wall. Don't know what it is for since I did not use it anywhere. Worked back around to the right side, got the gem, and put it in the right hand (as you face the Shiva). Dropped down to the floor and moved the two small statues to reflect the light at the Shiva. New door opened and led to the bridge you have to rotate. Got that without any problem. As soon as I entered the next room I saw the ring in the center ceiling and could see the pole (switch) across the room on the left. Swung over, climbed up and jumped to the switch. So I guess the issue is either a bad disk or else it really does matter what order you do things in.

Only problem I have is that I still do not find all of the treasures!

Thumbs up My request to Eidos - Please Follow Suit

Here is the e-mail I sent to Eidos since the reload solution did not work for me and I do not want to buy a SD card or reader. Please do the same and perhaps Eidos will respond favorably to this most reasonable solution. "I have purchased Tomb Raider Underworld for the Wii and have proceeded as far as the game ending glitch in Coast of Thailand. Unfortunately, I have reloaded from a prior save point over 50 times and the lever still does not appear. I have neither a SD Card nor a SD Reader and do NOT have the money for, nor do I wish to purchase, those two items to be able to finish the flawed game. Consequently, I request that EIDOS either furnish me a disc that does not contain the programming flaw or arrange for a refund of the purchase price. As you know, retailers do not refund the purchase price of an opened game nor even allow for a store credit. Thus, special arrangements will need to be made with the retailers if providing an unflawed game disc is not an option. Thanks in advance for your handling of this matter."

No swing bar?
    I just did this part tonight on the PS3. Once I saw it was one of those wall runs with the backwards jump to the ledge I was really bummed out. I hated those in the last game and it always too me forever to get it right. This time it wasn't so bad. I ended up doing it 3 times because I wasn't sure what was next. I didn't see the swing bar at first and when it started going down while I was on it I thought I was supposed to jump up higher before before the bar was too low. It only took a little bit of time to see what was happening.
    I'm really sorry to hear about your Wii guys, it hard wanting to play a game for fun and not get anything but grief
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Treeble View Post
    I have just seen this... the savegame that's offered for download is not zipped. I don't have the game just yet, but you'll have to create the directory structure to use it on Wii.

On the SD card, the data.bin file should go under this path:

private/wii/title/XXXX/data.bin

The issue here being that I don't know what's the game code for Underworld. I know Anniversary was RLRE, so if you want to try using their save, first copy your own save to the SD card, then just replace the data.bin file.
    can anyone help out with this?

i know NOTHING about this kind of stuff. i have an SD card (though not an official wii one), and i borrowed a reader.

i downloaded the file, unzipped it, and put it on the card.

i then followed the instructions, but when i go to the SD card section in my wii menu, it does not show any file of any sort.

i don't understand the instructions above about changing the path, and i'd REALLY like to get this problem taken care of.

so if anyone has any clear instructions on getting the SD file download to work, please post them. it would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Default Got It!

After my last post, I went home and tried the Shiva sequence posted on page 2 by "Rygar". It worked. The pole appeared.
    I deleted my saved game and started from the very beginning without stopping and it worked so the game obviously has to go a certain way for it to run!...

I didnt find any glitches in the mexico level altho there has been rumours of them..and I've found no glitches so far and am in the Mayen Islands...stuck on the bloody hammer room. (Any help with this room would be fantastic btw =]).
    So hopefully the rest of the game runs smoothly and I advise any of those still stuck on the Thailand - No Pole situation, to follow Rygar (any many others) instruction. Again, posted on page 2 of this thread.

Anyway, thanks for all the help so far!
    Good luck and happy playing guys!
    xoxo-K

So glad I found this thread. Thought i was going mad. Had the same problem. Have just phoned the help line number, and was told that they are aware of the problem.
    The only solution they said was to download a save that they could send me onto an sd card or to play the game from the begining without saving.
    They said there were no plans to give us all a new copy of the game . Grrrr I think that is really poor. Hope this helps. We are just starting the game again!!!!! I hope it works.

Thank you thank you thank you! I was almost pulling my hair out and then I found this thread! I had to restart and play it all again then followed the instructions about what order to do Shiva in and there was a pole this time!!!

Really very frustrating that this wasn't noticed before release

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast