Thread: Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation HELP!

Default Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation HELP!

So I just installed TR4 on my Vista, I've never played it on my Vista before. I'm playing the first levels (training) and I can't save. What's going on there?

Also, when I press the jump button or I have Lara run, shoot, turn, whatever, after I take my hands away from the keyboard, she keeps spinning or running or shooting or jumping for at least ten seconds after the command and it's very annoying to wait for her to calm down. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix these two bugs?

Thanks so much in advance!

When you start the game, don't start it from the auto-run on the CD.

And I had a similar problem to that... I disabled the FMVs, and didn't run the game in compatibility modes. This was on an XP, though.

I actually don't run it from the auto-run, I have to click on the icon since Vista is so picky.

I'm currently on my dad's laptop (Vista as well) and I don't have the bugs as I do on my regular computer, however on this one, when i try to skip levels, i skip to random ones rather than go in order and do not get through all of them.

I am starting to think it's time to go back to XP lol.

Thank you for your advice, rg_001100!

Quote Originally Posted by skyefitsheaven View Post
    I am starting to think it's time to go back to XP lol.
    I feel that this is a good a time as any to show this video: the "mojave" experiment

(It's good for a laugh, if nothing else...)

I've seen those vids. It's pretty funny. I have no other problems with Vista, except that it's so picky with games. My dad's Vista goes nuts though, it makes the Windows Explorer bar freeze until he restarts it. I guess it depends on people's luck with it.

But I'm starting to miss XP. Way less trouble with that.
    I'm hoping Windows redeems itself with the new version, "7". Doubt it though.

It's a stupid reason to want to go back to XP, just for games..but I like my games lol.

The games were not designed for play on Vista, tho some of them will run on it. As a serious Raider researcher I would not use Vista. XP works just fine.
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group
    "We Build Worlds"
    Linkedin

I wasn't sure whether to start a whole new topic for this question or add to this one, since it seems sort of relevant but not entirely. Anyway....

Lately I've gotten more email than usual from people who've downloaded my old (Win98) TR4 save files and found they wouldn't load. Either the load bar freezes at around 75% or the game crashes. People don't always mention what OS they're using, so I'm not sure if this is a Vista issue, a patch issue or something else.

To help me narrow it down, does anyone know whether TR4 savegame files made with Win98/me are compatible with the Vista installation?

If not, does anyone have or know where to find a good collection of Vista-compatible TR4 saves?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards, Stella
    Tomb Raider walkthroughs @ http://tombraiders.net

I had a small play around with TR4 on Vista just now. The startup settings used for running TR4 were of highest possible settings, FMV disabled.

After installing, I was unable to run the game without going into compatability mode. I tried Windows XP (sp2) compatability, which failed, and then Windows 98 compatability, which ran the game "nicely". I have not played through more than the start of a level on Vista, though.
    I did not try to save the game, and so do not know whether or not I was able to before patching.

I then downloaded a couple of PC save files from tombraiders.net/. I chose Desert Railroad for a first try, bad idea :P I am unsure if Vista can even handle this level, but certainly none of those savegames worked on TR4, win98 compatability mode of Windows Vista. The result of loading one would be the camera at a strange angle and a loop of the train animation, or Lara dying.
    I chose "Temple of Karnak" savegames next. The first save loaded "well", in that I could see Lara, move her around, and everything seemed to work. Loading the other levels was with less success, the level would be black, and there were times where I couldn't see Lara, or the game crashed.

I then downloaded the XP/Vista multipatch from tombraiderchronicles.com/. This allowed the game to run without the compatability mode, however the results of loading the Karnak saves were no better.
    The game also managed to save games after having patched using the XP/vista multi-patch (but as I have said, I did not try before using the patch).

There must be some oddity in windows File I/O with Vista that wasn't there in 98/XP...
    As far as compatability goes, I would assume that the "first save"/beginning save of every level works (except Desert Railroad), based on Temple of Karnak working. I would need to try this out with more levels to be certain though.
    I do not 'raid on Vista; so I wouldn't know about possible compatability issues with TR1-5.

As for finding game saves, under TR4 game saves at tombraiderchronicles.com/, it has the text "Requires Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP"; notice the absense of Vista.
    (Googling "TR4 vista save games" came up with stella's site first, googling "Tomb Raider 4 vista save games" came up with this very thread at 5th position... I do not know if anyone has these save games, it may be a "tombraiders.net/ exclusive" if they were put on there :P)
    Stella, perhaps your best bet for getting the vista savegames would be to get someone to take a week off and play TR4 on a vista.
    Last edited by rg_001100; 11-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    I had a small play around with TR4 on Vista just now. <snip>
    rg, thanks so much for doing all that and reporting back. I'm really grateful for the help. It does sound like a nasty little can of worms, doesn't it? One of the hundred reasons I haven't upgraded my OS and am about to buy a brand new machine with XP.

Stella, perhaps your best bet for getting the vista savegames would be to get someone to take a week off and play TR4 on a vista.
    Sounds like a plan. Any takers? <grovel, grovel>
    Regards, Stella

Wow That was fast

I didn't have the biggest play around with combinations of settings. (high/low settings; different compatability modes; patched/unpatched) and only loaded from a few of the savegames, but for all it was worth, you're welcome.
    Maybe after the approaching exams I will have a further toy around with these settings to see if I can "cover all bases" to see what's wrong.

And I have to admit, I haven't completed TR4 (only got up to the Alexandria , and I haven't played it in a while).
    I can see that you're not going to get so many volunteers for this task, though. If no one else's up to the job, I'll do my best to get about to completing TR4 (after my exams), then I'll do my best for imitating the save games for Vista. It would be cool to contribute to tombraiders.net/ (after using those walkthroughs more than I'd like)
    Last edited by rg_001100; 11-08-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Wow That was fast
    I'm watching this thread like a hawk...lol. No, not really. Actually I just had the auto-notification thingy on so I'd get an email if someone replied.

I didn't have the biggest play around with combinations of settings. (high/low settings; different compatability modes; patched/unpatched) and only loaded from a few of the savegames, but for all it was worth, you're welcome.
    Maybe after the approaching exams I will have a further toy around with these settings to see if I can "cover all bases" to see what's wrong.

And I have to admit, I haven't completed TR4 (only got up to the Alexandria , and I haven't played it in a while).
    I can see that you're not going to get so many volunteers for this task, though. If no one else's up to the job, I'll do my best to get about to completing TR4 (after my exams), then I'll do my best for imitating the save games for Vista. It would be cool to contribute to tombraiders.net/ (after using those walkthroughs more than I'd like)
    You've already helped out a lot. Just knowing that there are compatibility issues with the old saves and the new OS is extremely useful.

If you do feel inclined to play through when you have more time, I'd certainly appreciate it. You wouldn't have to try and reproduce all the saves I have now. Just one for the start of each level would be super helpful. And of course you'd get your name in lights at tombraiders.net. OK, maybe not lights but italics at least.

Will you be playing Underworld? You'd better take time off for that first.
    Regards, Stella

Stelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Did you notice that in Mida's Palace fire room (TRA), if you pull the first switch
    and then the third one (the one for the relic),there is no need to pull the second switch?
    I went there and found it already pulled (and I was wondering what it does)..
    My english are bad, I hope you understand me..!
    (I was going to send you a mail about that.. and then I see you in here..!)

Edit: Your saves of TR4 didn't work for me either (Windows XP), they loaded but I couldn't see
    Lara (it was funny, but totally glitchy).
    Last edited by Ol.a; 11-08-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    Stelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Did you notice that in Mida's Palace fire room (TRA), if you pull the first switch
    and then the third one (the one for the relic),there is no need to pull the second switch?
    I went there and found it already pulled (and I was wondering what it does)..
    My english are bad, I hope you understand me..!
    (I was going to send you a mail about that.. and then I see you in here..!)

Edit: Your saves of TR4 didn't work for me either (Windows XP), they loaded but I couldn't see
    Lara (it was funny, but totally glitchy).
    Thanks for trying out the TR4 saves. They work for me with XP, so that's an unfortunate complication. I know this is going to drive me mental.

As for the Midas question (off topic, you naughty raider ), yes, I noticed that and mentioned it in my walkthrough. Thanks for the heads-up, though. I'd rather hear about something twice than not at all.

Take care and raid on!
    Regards, Stella

Errrrrm, I have a question about TR-4 as well, and I thought I could ask it here so I don't have to make a whole new thread about it.................

I have already completed the game years ago, but I have recently started to replay it on my laptop (Vista). The mummies started to freak me out and I really wanted to go and ride in the jeep again, so I skipped a level using the SKIP or HELP cheat (not sure which one). Anyway, it worked but now I can't save a game in a new empty slot anymore. I really don't want to overwrite my savegames because I want to keep them to use them for screenshots etc.

What happened? Please help!

Thanks in advance
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by stellalune View Post
    Thanks for trying out the TR4 saves. They work for me with XP, so that's an unfortunate complication. I know this is going to drive me mental.

As for the Midas question (off topic, you naughty raider ), yes, I noticed that and mentioned it in my walkthrough. Thanks for the heads-up, though. I'd rather hear about something twice than not at all.

Take care and raid on!
    Oops! Sorry then.. I've read your walkthrough and I thought there was no mention of that switch issue.. (What was I reading? )
    Take care too.

@Love2Raid: that's why we should not cheat!
    Just kidding..! I hope you made a backup of your saves, before cheating..

Default Tomb Raider 4 Savegames

Hi, I have just bought Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation on PC. I successfully installed on my Windows Vista PC and had to change the Compatibility in order for it to work. I changed to Windows 98/Me and it works fine. I go up to Level 3 today (Burial Chambers) and had three savegames. I exited the game, came back 40 mins later to play on it again. And all the savegames are gone! When I tried to load a saved game it just came up with 'empty slot'. Any help would gladly appreciated

Hi all,

Quick question, since running the tomb raider patch, i cannot access the inventory? The game crashes everytime. Is there a fix? Thank you for the help!

so there's no solution? I have keyboard problems as well, game is unplayable. my girlfriend changed settings in Render from software to hardware and game was working for 3 levels. then saved games disappeared and game is unplayable again. system is win7.