Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: DX:HR - Image & Screenshot Gallery Archive (UPDATED 13 June 2010)

Hey the images on the first page were awsome but i noticed a image of a women with a bio-arm while i was searhing some websites it was in Dutch or French maybe but it looked cool ill try to find it and post it.

^
    Yes please... we'll be waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjerk View Post
    I saw one for Keira Knightley (sic?) around the time of Pirates of the Caribbean (I think) and they painted a brownish shape on her chest that made her cleavage look gigantic (which it wasn't at the time, though she may have opted for augmention, idk)
    It was for King Arthur and she was pissed about it. Made a big stink about how she has small boobs and shes proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by steelle View Post
    It was for King Arthur and she was pissed about it. Made a big stink about how she has small boobs and shes proud of it.
    Ha, good to know, my faith in her is restored to neutral. I can't remember ever deciding to see a movie just because she was in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar Protector View Post
    Hey the images on the first page were awsome but i noticed a image of a women with a bio-arm while i was searhing some websites it was in Dutch or French maybe but it looked cool ill try to find it and post it.
    Omar Protector, where are you!!!

If I read a preview/review for a game I am considering spending money on, I want to know that the pictures I'm looking at are genuine. I don't know how prevalent screenshot doctoring is, but it would be just another reason for me not to trust the gaming media and why I could care less about photo shoots for models/celebrities. I saw one for Keira Knightley (sic?) around the time of Pirates of the Caribbean (I think) and they painted a brownish shape on her chest that made her cleavage look gigantic (which it wasn't at the time, though she may have opted for augmention, idk).

When consumers accept what masquerades as "serious" media as being promotional material, it frustrates me.
    A shot taken during actual gameplay is not going to in any way realistically represent what the game looks like in motion. This is why they started doctoring screenshots, actually. Shots of 3D games showed a lot more jaggies and than there actually were because they were visible for a single frame, small flaws in animations and textures that wouldn't normally be visible became visible, that kind of thing.

A shot taken during actual play is no more trustworthy than a doctored one. So the game companies choose to make their game look a little better than it really is rather than letting it look a little worse.

But go ahead and rage about how you're being lied to like an impotent child.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonNick View Post
    A shot taken during actual gameplay is not going to in any way realistically represent what the game looks like in motion. This is why they started doctoring screenshots, actually. Shots of 3D games showed a lot more jaggies and than there actually were because they were visible for a single frame, small flaws in animations and textures that wouldn't normally be visible became visible, that kind of thing.

A shot taken during actual play is no more trustworthy than a doctored one. So the game companies choose to make their game look a little better than it really is rather than letting it look a little worse.

But go ahead and rage about how you're being lied to like an impotent child.
    There's clearly some disagreement here as to how much of the aforementioned shots are "doctored." I would rather make the decision with the "jaggies and " in consideration for what they are than having the game airbrushed to perfection.

But go ahead and rub yourself raw with your 10/10 IGN rating Collector's Edition Copy of Fallout 3

There's clearly some disagreement here as to how much of the aforementioned shots are "doctored." I would rather make the decision with the "jaggies and " in consideration for what they are than having the game airbrushed to perfection.

But go ahead and rub yourself raw with your 10/10 IGN rating Collector's Edition Copy of Fallout 3
    So you'd rather make your decision based on screenshots that are not representitive of gameplay than based on screenshots that are not representitive of gameplay?

Might I point out that screenshots, which are still frames, are not really representative of what it is like to play a game? All they are is a look at a game's visuals, and in some cases the layout and size of the environment. They offer hints and suggestions of what gameplay is like, but nothing more on that front.

Given the quality of the graphics supported by today's systems, there is little you can do in post that would do more than slightly improve the appearance of the picture while staying true to the game. Besides, AFAIK all official screenshots from any company are going to be taken on maximum settings, including 16x AA (thus, no jaggies). A less-powerful machine with AA disabled is going to see jaggies.
    Last edited by Jerion; 03-15-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    Nope. I can't find it anymore, so I uploaded it:

There is metal everywhere. There are metal ornaments, the walls are covered with metal, the floors seem to be covered with metal... It will be pretty expensive everything combined. And it can't be too thin, because they can't be too frail (they aren't just flat surfaces).
    Fact remains that it will echo a lot, and that it can't be installed, except with a lot of hard work.

PS. Please show me just one corridor which looks like this (the same amount of metal).
    Why are all of you assuming its metal anyway?

Sure its kind of glinty and its shiny, but so what? It could easily be some kind of new type of substance that they now build walls with because it looks cooler and has some fictional benefits over using bricks (the poor people can use bricks in their home while the rich use nanocarbon steel-generated, hydropolymer fibre walls.)

I mean seriously why not? The devs obviously thought, hey artists, that looks cool. Not... lets make everythng have metal walls.

Unless i missed the press release that said that,.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Might I point out that screenshots, which are still frames, are not really representative of what it is like to play a game? All they are is a look at a game's visuals, and in some cases the layout and size of the environment. They offer hints and suggestions of what gameplay is like, but nothing more on that front.

Given the quality of the graphics supported by today's systems, there is little you can do in post that would do more than slightly improve the appearance of the picture while staying true to the game. Besides, AFAIK all official screenshots from any company are going to be taken on maximum settings, including 16x AA (thus, no jaggies). A less-powerful machine with AA disabled is going to see jaggies.
    Gameplay was probably the wrong word. What I mean is, the game never ever looks like it does in stills, even if they're unedited, because games are typically defined by motion. A still, catching something in motion while it's frozen, doesn't reflect what the game actually looks like on a typical system, it doesn't reflect what it looks like in motion and doesn't reflect what it will look like later. Even if a shot isn't retouched, that won't tell you what you need to know about how the game will look on your machine. It'll give you a vague idea, but you'll still have to estimate if that's what you really want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Edx View Post
    Why are all of you assuming its metal anyway?
    Sure its kind of glinty and its shiny, but so what? It could easily be some kind of new type of substance that they now build walls with because it looks cooler and has some fictional benefits over using bricks (the poor people can use bricks in their home while the rich use nanocarbon steel-generated, hydropolymer fibre walls.)
    I agree. I've said it before but even plastic can mimic metal.
    Last edited by Viktoria; 03-16-2009 at 05:25 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by DemonNick View Post
    Gameplay was probably the wrong word. What I mean is, the game never ever looks like it does in stills, even if they're unedited, because games are typically defined by motion. A still, catching something in motion while it's frozen, doesn't reflect what the game actually looks like on a typical system, it doesn't reflect what it looks like in motion and doesn't reflect what it will look like later. Even if a shot isn't retouched, that won't tell you what you need to know about how the game will look on your machine. It'll give you a vague idea, but you'll still have to estimate if that's what you really want to know.
    The difference is, I know how much estimation is being done if I'm the one doing it. When I pick up a gaming magazine I don't expect to see videos in it, and conversely when I pick up a copy of a game I don't expect to have a screenshot from said magazine plastered over my monitor.

^
    Respect that logic hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
    I agree. I've said it before but even plastic can mimic metal.
    A concrete wall with shiny paint can look metal
    Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Yes of course. Basically, anything metallic-looking isn't necessary metal.
    I don't get why people can't understand this idea.

LOL @ us discussing walls, hehe.

I can't say I'm that familiar with the construction of modern research facilities, but I can only assume that maintenance and upgrades of a building would be easier if the maintenance people only had to remove a wall panel rather than busting up drywall or climbing in the space between levels.

I mentioned something about the walls not necessarily being metal a while ago in this thread, but logic like that doesn't seem to matter... Oh well.

Some examples of metal used aesthetically in buildings:

Metal Ceilings - http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/pancal...09-125170.html

Metal Walls - http://www.unerectors.com/products/m...ll_panels.html

Metal Interiors/Exteriors - http://www.tajimacorpusa.com/panelsystem.htm

Not gonna post the pics themselves because there are too many.

I think in general people are being far to critical of a game that we have few details for.
    Last edited by steelle; 03-16-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Yes of course. Basically, anything metallic-looking isn't necessary metal.
    I don't get why people can't understand this idea.

It's just because some people thinks all buildings are made with stones

Quote Originally Posted by steelle View Post
    I mentioned something about the walls not necessarily being metal a while ago in this thread, but logic like that doesn't seem to matter... Oh well.

Some examples of metal used aesthetically in buildings:

Metal Ceilings - http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/pancal...09-125170.html

Metal Walls - http://www.unerectors.com/products/m...ll_panels.html

Metal Interiors/Exteriors - http://www.tajimacorpusa.com/panelsystem.htm

Not gonna post the pics themselves because there are too many.

I think in general people are being far to critical of a game that we have few details for.
    You're not the first to post those images. But those are just very simple metal squares. The ones in DX3 are really quite complex, poured into a certain form, and should, considering that form, be pretty thick and therefore expensive. Besides that, the whole hallway consists of metal (sheets), which is quite different from some metal plates as decoration on stairs.
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Deus Ex: a series so deep, even the walls are subject for lengthy discussions.

We'd talk about the weather, but there wasn't really any in DX1...

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    You're not the first to post those images. But those are just very simple metal squares. The ones in DX3 are really quite complex, poured into a certain form, and should, considering that form, be pretty thick and therefore expensive. Besides that, the whole hallway consists of metal (sheets), which is quite different from some metal plates as decoration on stairs.
    The metal sheets were probably stamped, not poured. Some of the plates in those pics were fairly complex.

This one would be interesting to make.

But really the idea is no different then having hallways with completely glass walls, or with touchscreens mounted in them. I am currently sitting in a building which has both.

And if you really want complex......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...smith_edit.jpg

I realize its and exterior shot made up of simple squares, but still, a lot of metal in a complex form. Just for fun.

Edit: sorry pic was huge.
    Last edited by steelle; 03-16-2009 at 02:40 PM.

^
    A very attractive building.

Wind, rain ....
    I think nobody wants time cycling ....

Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast