Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: DX:HR - Image & Screenshot Gallery Archive (UPDATED 13 June 2010)

If the walls are metal (steel, or otherwise), can we still punch through them???

^
    Hehe, if they have nano properties, you could probably have a go at punching them but they will reshape to a perfect flat surface again.

Sorry.... I'm way ahead of Time here.

I don't think that many of the textures in the above Deus Ex 3 screenshot are necessarily metal. The most elaborate architectural feature is probably the cornice moulding, which seems somewhat extravagant in what looks like a commercial or industrial (or government?) setting. But it's possible this is linked to a plot element.

The yellow safety lines and the lights embedded in each step are very cool, as are the hand notches in the removable metal panel that runs along the stairs.

The large 002 panel seems a little busy IMHO. The large bolt holes in each corner are too similar and too close to the other circles on this texture.

The blue-tinted lighting seems to suggest that this part of the building is not currently in-use. The scene is probably set at night, so it makes sense that workers are not regularly traversing this area. But it would seem more realistic if there were a means to illuminate the area further when the facility is more active (such as white LEDs in the ceiling). I guess the player would feel pretty exposed when departing the quiet safety of a cool lighting-scheme for a harsh, potentially occupied lab or office where they can no longer see who is waiting in the surrounding shadow.

I like the design we can see in these new pictures too, and I'm with those who are saying that if Ion Storm had technology like this, DX1 would've looked a lot different. And yeah, those floors and other stuff aren't necessarily made of metal. But even if they are, it won't be like this everywhere. Only a few places where they can afford it. Other secret labs could look very different too, it's not a law to have every lab (or other secret facility) look the same in a game world. And why are some people saying that stuff like this wasn't present in DX1's world? We've only seen a fraction of it, so you can't possibly know that for sure. And let me say it again, different companies may have different design ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by itsalladream View Post
    If the walls are metal (steel, or otherwise), can we still punch through them???
    It has been said before that we can only punch through thin walls, made of breakable materials.
    Tabrett Bethell's films - a blog with all the info you need.
    signature image

Default 11

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=694418&page=5

look at those nice buldings, all topic is very interesing, some projects looks like there were made for DX

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace View Post
    If those are in-game, then it's pretty clear that all the lighting has been pre-rendered and the post-processing has been pretty much "faked" as there would have to be effects at work that are so far unsupported by modern GPUs.

It's possible they took screenshots and heavily "doctored them up" or just made these pictures straight out of Photoshop, but I highly doubt those are in-game. Especially considering the last-gen nature of the game engine.
    Sorry for resurrecting this one but: what? UE3 includes dynamic lighting far superior than the one from the aforementioned shots. They can be ingame and dynamically rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Tong View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting this one but: what? UE3 includes dynamic lighting far superior than the one from the aforementioned shots. They can be ingame and dynamically rendered.
    He's complaining because they're using nearly the same engine as a game with graphics that are dumbed down for the PS2 version- and that because said graphics can be dumbed down the high-setting appearance of a different game, running on a newer version of that engine, can't possibly look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    He's complaining because they're using nearly the same engine as a game with graphics that are dumbed down for the PS2 version- and that because said graphics can be dumbed down the high-setting appearance of a different game, running on a newer version of that engine, can't possibly look good.
    Yeah, because there certainly doesn't exist any historical precedent for developers touching-up pre-release screenshots, does there? EM would have to be the first company to ever have done it. I'm not saying I believe they have, but the scenario is at least entertainable, right? I might understand your apparently omniscient optimism if EM had actually done anything to cultivate any sort of trust from their fanbase (fans of Deus Ex, not Eidos Montreal) thus far. Which, of course, they haven't. In fact it's quite the opposite, really.

Good god, why is everybody tearing a game down they know almost NOTHING about? All we have are little tidbits. No videos, no gameplay screens, so how can ANYONE possibly say they aren't living up to the fans expectations..when they haven't shown anything!? It's like walking into a movie theatre, saying the film you're seeing sucks, and walking out all before the damn movie starts!

Yeah, and what a shameful waste of popcorn that would be!

Quote Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
    Yeah, and what a shameful waste of popcorn that would be!
    All that melted butter...

Quote Originally Posted by amk84 View Post
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=694418&page=5

look at those nice buldings, all topic is very interesing, some projects looks like there were made for DX
    Yeah, I actually love modern architecture and futuristic design. Places like Dubai are utilising it now on a grand scale.

The DX3 image we have of the DWM building looks very fitting, against the older buildings.

Since when we got the firsts screens some persons found some problems with the architecture, I don't feel that is soo strange, we got classical and modern thoughts IMO but I don't know why metallic structures would cause a lot of problems even on my city we got some buildings with metallic parts ...
    If you want to make enemies; just dumb something down
    The manderley song => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnBeglPl7s

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwolf806 View Post
    Good god, why is everybody tearing a game down they know almost NOTHING about? All we have are little tidbits. No videos, no gameplay screens, so how can ANYONE possibly say they aren't living up to the fans expectations..when they haven't shown anything!? It's like walking into a movie theatre, saying the film you're seeing sucks, and walking out all before the damn movie starts!
    So you're basically saying we should discuss the weather on a DX3 forum, because we don't know anything about DX3 until it is released?

Here in Holland it's quite sunny. A bit cloudy, but no rain to be expected. Hardly any wind. Temperature about 14 degrees Celsius.
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    So you're basically saying we should discuss the weather on a DX3 forum, because we don't know anything about DX3 until it is released?
    He never mentioned the weather so please try not to imagine that he did. I'm sure you'll find he was refering to some statements made that have been written in a somewhat over-powering and 'matter of fact' manner, when they can't possibly be factual, because the game has not been finished or played yet. Yes, I'm pretty certain that is what he meant.
    So, we CAN talk about information we know - but we ought to explain our personal assumptions regarding the why/what/when/if and how etc. in a more neutral way, rather than just dissing the game outright as if it were complete and we've played it.
    At least, that's how I understand his post. It definitely doesn't suggest any discussion as to the current state of the weather - so back on topic please. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_hunter View Post
    Since when we got the firsts screens some persons found some problems with the architecture, I don't feel that is soo strange, we got classical and modern thoughts IMO but I don't know why metallic structures would cause a lot of problems even on my city we got some buildings with metallic parts ...
    Yeah, I think people were confused because they believed it would be too expensive to implement. Others replied and said that what looks like metal steel isn't necessary so; or that a cheaper nano alternative might be used in the future etc. Even plastic today can look like metal, so....
    Last edited by Viktoria; 03-08-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo

Yep just like in the cars some exterior parts looks like metal and they are plastic; you got the point on that

Yeah, and already scientists have created a new transparent, composite plastic which is as strong as steel, yet as thin as a sheet of paper. Imagine the Star Trek's US Enterprise being made out of this kind of material in the future. Our minds are so used to thinking 'big, heavy metal'... now its time to think of 'thin, light, super-strong nano-materials'.

Yep nano materials is the future and the light materials bring more possibilities and less energy costs, just like things we plan to do after all, many new methods began to cost a lot, just like the firsts CMS soldering process, at the begining they cost more than the old process and now it was much more cheaper because we are mastered on that process.

the CMS it's that

the old it's that (I don't know how it's called)
    If you want to make enemies; just dumb something down
    The manderley song => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnBeglPl7s

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post

Here in Holland it's quite sunny. A bit cloudy, but no rain to be expected. Hardly any wind. Temperature about 14 degrees Celsius.
    In South Carolina it's about 75 Fahrenheit, few clouds in the sky, sun shining, with a light breeze. Beautiful day.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaquinas View Post
    Yeah, because there certainly doesn't exist any historical precedent for developers touching-up pre-release screenshots, does there? EM would have to be the first company to ever have done it. I'm not saying I believe they have, but the scenario is at least entertainable, right? I might understand your apparently omniscient optimism if EM had actually done anything to cultivate any sort of trust from their fanbase (fans of Deus Ex, not Eidos Montreal) thus far. Which, of course, they haven't. In fact it's quite the opposite, really.
    I'm optimistic for the very simple reason that I don't feel there is more to be negative about than positive about. Is the touchup notion entertainable? Certainly. Avoiding the "how can you call it fake, you haven't seen it in person" argument, I"m going to point out though that graphics tech has reached the point where there is really very little that can be done to touch something up in Post and see any difference from the in-game appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_hunter View Post
    Yep nano materials is the future and the light materials bring more possibilities and less energy costs, just like things we plan to do after all, many new methods began to cost a lot, just like the firsts CMS soldering process, at the begining they cost more than the old process and now it was much more cheaper because we are mastered on that process.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaquinas View Post
    Actually most stills that wind up in magazines or promotional materials are tweaked in post. There's nothing really insidious or evil about it though, it's just something everyone does. You might as well complain about NASA making shots of mars redder or compositing nebulae for posters.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonNick View Post
    You might as well complain about NASA making shots of mars redder or compositing nebulae for posters.
    * ... chuckles *

Quote Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
    * ... chuckles *
    NASA was just the first example to jump to mind, although I heard somewhere that they've decided to stop editing pictures for promotion and merchandising because it gives the conspiracy nuts too much ammo.

But the point stands. What makes a shot good its original context doesn't necessarily make good ad copy, especially when the images are supposed to be part of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonNick View Post
    NASA was just the first example to jump to mind, although I heard somewhere that they've decided to stop editing pictures for promotion and merchandising because it gives the conspiracy nuts too much ammo.

But the point stands. What makes a shot good its original context doesn't necessarily make good ad copy, especially when the images are supposed to be part of motion.
    If I read a preview/review for a game I am considering spending money on, I want to know that the pictures I'm looking at are genuine. I don't know how prevalent screenshot doctoring is, but it would be just another reason for me not to trust the gaming media and why I could care less about photo shoots for models/celebrities. I saw one for Keira Knightley (sic?) around the time of Pirates of the Caribbean (I think) and they painted a brownish shape on her chest that made her cleavage look gigantic (which it wasn't at the time, though she may have opted for augmention, idk).

When consumers accept what masquerades as "serious" media as being promotional material, it frustrates me.

Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast