Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 675 of 1442

Thread: DX:HR - Image & Screenshot Gallery Archive (UPDATED 13 June 2010)

  1. #651
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under the leaves...
    Posts
    21,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by facepalm View Post
    Most buildings around here where I live are made of concrete elements.
    Sure, but you have to look at what is going on today and then in the future by another 20 years. Future buildings will be different from the present. They are no longer going to be just about concrete, steel and glass, but also the new intangible materials of technology.

    This is a good website:
    http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/

  2. #652
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
    Edit: What is the story behind this site anyways? Looks like fan art to me, but whatever it is, it's excellent. The image I've linked looks especially awesome for level design, that would fit so perfectly with Deus Ex.
    I don't know. I browsed Google's image cache while I was looking for a hi-res version for the image with the FEMA-seal and just stumbled upon this picture labled "First artwork for Deus Ex 3" (in German). The site is the homepage of a German TV-channel called "Giga TV", which is dedicated to gaming culture (I don't like it, though). May be it was last year's april fools prank or something like that...

  3. #653
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
    Sure, but you have to look at what is going on today and then in the future by another 20 years. Future buildings will be different from the present. They are no longer going to be just about concrete, steel and glass, but also the new intangible materials of technology.

    This is a good website:
    http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/
    Still don't see any metal hallways...
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

  4. #654
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by René View Post
    Steel or bricks! Awesome! Let's just say some of the texture artists (among others) are loving the debate!

    Edit: And this is not ours but the FEMA one is.
    Excellent, this is the absolute best direction possible. Instantly reminds me of Redsun2020, and that's a very, very good thing. Bravo!

  5. #655
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    280

    Default

    @new pics
    Still no anti-aliasing.


    Quote Originally Posted by DemonNick View Post
    while they are relatively cheap once they go up, getting them up is hideously expensive, as is their upkeep. Not to mention that relatively scarce fuel is becomming more of an issue. This is why nuclear power is likely part of a solution to our energy woes, not a silver bullet
    Correct about the first part. Not hideously expensive, though.

    Scarce fuel?

    At current rates, the "cheap" power will last for almost 100 years. When prices increase, less attractive deposits will be tapped. Along with that recycling spent fuel becomes feasible, which extends use even further. Thousands of years, in fact. Also, active operations are using a fraction of deposits. The profitability of working them is the limiting factor at this time.


    Say hi to the treehuggers that gave you your facts.

  6. #656
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malah View Post
    @new pics
    Still no anti-aliasing.



    Correct about the first part. Not hideously expensive, though.

    Scarce fuel?

    At current rates, the "cheap" power will last for almost 100 years. When prices increase, less attractive deposits will be tapped. Along with that recycling spent fuel becomes feasible, which extends use even further. Thousands of years, in fact. Also, active operations represent a fraction of what is out there.


    Say hi to the treehuggers that gave you your facts.
    You should probably read this and take some economics while you're at it. Uranium isn't traded on the open market, and the price of it more than doubled last year.

  7. #657
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under the leaves...
    Posts
    21,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    Still don't see any metal hallways...
    Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are trying to say?
    Do you mean that there isn't a building that exists today (or in the next 20 years) that has metal hallways?

  8. #658
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    269

    Default

    I'd like to say one thing about metal walls.

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Bel View Post


    I dont think its such a huge deal, but he is right about that.

    All three shots were made under VersaLife building in Hong Kong. Maybe metal walls are indeed lame, but Ion Storm didn't mind it. And they certainly didn't mind sci-fi motifs.

  9. #659
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    It really just depends on what buildings we are in, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want every building to be lined with metal, because that's just not going to make for a plausible world. Fortunately, a lot of the concept art shows some fabric variety.

  10. #660
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    52

    Default

    The concept art of Adams Apartment doesn't look too sci-fi, looks very Cyperpunk inspired, so as long as the metal suits the environment/building, I don't really think we have anything to worry about.

  11. #661
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under the leaves...
    Posts
    21,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inane Mythos View Post
    The concept art of Adams Apartment doesn't look too sci-fi, looks very Cyperpunk inspired, so as long as the metal suits the environment/building, I don't really think we have anything to worry about.
    Exactly.... which is why I couldn't understand what the complaints were about.

  12. #662
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan2000 View Post
    I'd like to say one thing about metal walls.




    All three shots were made under VersaLife building in Hong Kong. Maybe metal walls are indeed lame, but Ion Storm didn't mind it. And they certainly didn't mind sci-fi motifs.
    There is one big difference. The second picture has only some small metal parts on the lower half of the wall. And there's nothing wrong with that, you can see that nowadays too. The metal parts in DX were purely functional. Metal floors, or metal tiles, to be more specific, is very normal and of course exist. In fact I've worked with them for some time.
    And the metal on the wall looks more like the kind of metal they use in slums to build homes with because it is so cheap instead of the high-quality metal as used in the DX3 screenshots which are all kinds of exciting shapes.
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

  13. #663
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    7,388

    Default

    I trust from all the hype from René focusing on non-curvy-shiny-metal-clad environments that we will actually see said environments. If there is one thing that René most certainly hasn't done, it's lie to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    There is one big difference. The second picture has only some small metal parts on the lower half of the wall. And there's nothing wrong with that, you can see that nowadays too. The metal parts in DX were purely functional. Metal floors, or metal tiles, to be more specific, is very normal and of course exist. In fact I've worked with them for some time.
    And the metal on the wall looks more like the kind of metal they use in slums to build homes with because it is so cheap instead of the high-quality metal as used in the DX3 screenshots which are all kinds of exciting shapes.
    *shrug* All the differences I see are 10 years of graphics tech improvement and a few color changes. And more polys.
    Last edited by Jerion; 03-06-2009 at 10:07 AM.

  14. #664
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    95

    Default

    To be honest the assumption that all this stuff is metal (and specifically steel) is a poor one. While it could be metal, it could easily be some composite material. Personally, I think those shiny floors look like polished stone. But even if it was metal, it isn't necessarily steel, it could be an alloy of steel, or something much cheaper. It could be aluminum. Ever think of that?

    Also, the idea of metal paneling isn't anything new. Here's an example

    http://www.tajimacorpusa.com/panelsystem.htm

    Used by many companies depending on what their customer wants. But this is all IF its metal.

  15. #665
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    *shrug* All the differences I see are 10 years of graphics tech improvement and a few color changes. And more polys.
    Same here, I was wondering if it was just me thinking that.

  16. #666
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelle View Post
    To be honest the assumption that all this stuff is metal (and specifically steel) is a poor one. While it could be metal, it could easily be some composite material. Personally, I think those shiny floors look like polished stone. But even if it was metal, it isn't necessarily steel, it could be an alloy of steel, or something much cheaper. It could be aluminum. Ever think of that?

    Also, the idea of metal paneling isn't anything new. Here's an example

    http://www.tajimacorpusa.com/panelsystem.htm

    Used by many companies depending on what their customer wants. But this is all IF its metal.
    Aluminium is a metal, as far as I know.
    Anyways, do you really don't see any difference between the ones of the picture and the DX3 screenshot? The latter look way more massive, and they will certainly be a lot more expensive to make then just some plain metal sheets. Like I said, people use those kind of things today to build their own homes because they can't afford bricks. The screenshot doesn't feature some metal sheets, no, they feature a hallway + ornaments completely covered in some kind of metal sheets. Having to produce them specifically for that company, in those shapes, of that quality, would be rather expensive. And fact remains that the echoing would be pretty bad.
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

  17. #667
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelle View Post
    or something much cheaper. It could be aluminum. Ever think of that?
    Huh?

    Aluminum costs approximately 1300 USD per metric ton, that's three times as much as steel's average price on the market right now.

  18. #668
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarloGervasi View Post
    You know we've been through every possible topic when people are arguing about metal walls.
    There's also a thread here about jiggling breasts. I kid you not.

  19. #669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    *shrug* All the differences I see are 10 years of graphics tech improvement and a few color changes. And more polys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindmute View Post
    Same here, I was wondering if it was just me thinking that.
    It wasn't just you thinking that. I agree that the "metal hallways" look a bit more futuristic than I'd necessarily like, but I think Deus Ex would look fairly similar given the same graphics tech. Also, I find the broader colour palette quite refreshing, especially after playing so many brown 'n' bloom games over the past couple of years.

  20. #670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarloGervasi View Post
    Of all the ideas and comments on this board, mark my words, "include tit physics" will be the one that Eidos takes to heart.
    This actually made me laugh hard enough that my eyes watered, mainly because I now have a mental image of someone in EM pitching this idea to the board by pointing to a flipchart with a crudely drawn breast on it, and the board all nodding approvingly.

  21. #671
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarloGervasi View Post
    You know we've been through every possible topic when people are arguing about metal walls.
    Yea, I know. Time for some new info, eh?

  22. #672
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
    Yea, I know. Time for some new info, eh?
    alternately, time for the rumor train.

    So I heard theres going to be a Mario inspired level, I can't wait to see it!

  23. #673
    René's Avatar
    René is offline Ex-Eidos Montréal Community Guy
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Montréal, Québec
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Hi all, please stay on topic!

  24. #674
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under the leaves...
    Posts
    21,987

    Default

    Yes, and on that note I'm going to delete anything that is way off topic... and that includes my own posts.

  25. #675
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by facepalm View Post
    Huh?

    Aluminum costs approximately 1300 USD per metric ton, that's three times as much as steel's average price on the market right now.
    I was going for more of an "it could be anything" not necessarily saying aluminum is cheaper. Just like I didn't say aluminum wasn't a metal. My point was that we don't know what it is made of, and really it doesn't matter. The materials the walls are made of won't make or break the game and certainly won't crush its realism.


    Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    Aluminium is a metal, as far as I know.
    Anyways, do you really don't see any difference between the ones of the picture and the DX3 screenshot? The latter look way more massive, and they will certainly be a lot more expensive to make then just some plain metal sheets. Like I said, people use those kind of things today to build their own homes because they can't afford bricks. The screenshot doesn't feature some metal sheets, no, they feature a hallway + ornaments completely covered in some kind of metal sheets. Having to produce them specifically for that company, in those shapes, of that quality, would be rather expensive. And fact remains that the echoing would be pretty bad.

    The link I posted is from a company that designs buildings for some pretty high profile companies. I don't think Louis Vutton (one of their clients if you check out the site) has a problem affording bricks. The stuff they make, including the metal panels, are produced based upon what their specific client wants.

    And yes, I know aluminum is a metal. Never said it wasn't. I was trying to point out that the material wasn't necessarily steel, and could be anything. There were a number of times where steel was mentioned specifically.

    BUT THIS IS STUPID! SO LETS STOP! You win. Congrats.
    Last edited by steelle; 03-07-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •