Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: DX:HR - Image & Screenshot Gallery Archive (UPDATED 13 June 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
    While I kind of agree with all of this metal talk, it's definitely not one of the more important things. If EM does read this board, they will assume all of our complaints are as trivial as this (assuming they care, and that we are actually their target audience [which we most likely are NOT]). So I think the best thing to do would be to concentrate on the Universal Ammo scale mistakes.

e.g., Call of Duty health.
    Etc, etc, which has been discussed to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Etc, etc, which has been discussed to death.

^
    Yeah, exactly. So no harm in talking about something different for a change.

So, back to the 'need for steel.... or bricks' thing.
    I agree that those walls could easily be cladding like plastic. Maybe even all nano-plastic which will be many times stronger than steel in any case.

Oh, and isn't Dubai embracing the future of nanotechnology in construction right now?
    In a mere twenty years time there will be amazing changes and achievements.

http://crnano.typepad.com/crnblog/20...stic_cons.html

Quote Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
    Oh, and isn't Dubai embracing the future of nanotechnology in construction right now?
    In a mere twenty years time there will be amazing changes and achievements.

http://crnano.typepad.com/crnblog/20...stic_cons.html
    Only that Dubai probably goes bankrupt faster than all those megalomaniac projects could ever be finished.

If it isn't Dubai... then another country. It doesn't matter really because nanotech is an inevitable part of now and the future, don't you think?

If it isn't Dubai... then another country. It doesn't matter really because nanotech is an inevitable part of now and the future, don't you think?
    Personally I would be skeptical. While it's possible that the costs involved will be overcome one day, making it financially feasible, that's not that likely. Especially considering the limited uses of most forms of nanotechnology.

Worst case scenario, it's flying car bull. Best case? There's a good chance it will ultimately turn out like nuclear power. Nowhere near as revolutionary as we'd once hoped, percieved as more dangerous than it is, prohibitively expensive, etc.

Yeah, you could be correct, but then not so long ago humans scoffed at space exploration... so you never know.

Can we discuss this image of foyer and 'Detention Cells'.

Can anyone make out the words or symbols on the logo on the floor tiling?
    Last edited by Viktoria; 03-05-2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: image added
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Yeah, you could be correct, but then not so long ago humans scoffed at space exploration... so you never know.

It's Homeland Security or FEMA, or some other bull.

Maybe we should take a look on current events to understand. I have to theories.

First is that they are run by US Military, like today Guantanamo bay concentration camp and other camps around the world. But honestly it will take lots of balls to put that in a game .

See how otside is yellow, just like the picture? Inside there is blue and something like wings.

My second guess is that it is fema.

Check what this charlatan has to say. 5 minutes will do, you dont have to watch the whole thing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98239042440062

So there are conspiracy theories (and we know that DX Renaissance will have lots of conspiracies) that FEMA is building concentration camps around the US for American citizens.

Hmm... Is this fake or is it really an early artwork for DX3 as the title says?

http://www.giga.de/show/gigagames/pc...y/image_2.html

Btw... here's a version of the detention pic in a "slightly" higher resolution.
    http://images.gamestar.de/images/idg...985594/122.jpg

You can easily see that the arrows match those in the FEMA-seal, and so does the rest. It is without any doubts a FEMA facilty.
    Last edited by -=fox=-; 03-05-2009 at 06:33 AM.

From that image, this makes "Federal Emergency Management Agency" a little easier to see-

Apologies if these segments from the image are too high res to be posted here
    signature image
    Something something, death and taxes. Confucius.

We can hope it is real...

René is offline Ex-Eidos Montréal Community Guy

Steel or bricks! Awesome! Let's just say some of the texture artists (among others) are loving the debate!

Edit: And this is not ours but the FEMA one is.
    Last edited by René; 03-05-2009 at 07:06 AM.

http://www.giga.de/show/gigagames/pc...y/image_2.html

Wow, Is that the kind of look you're going for with the Shanghai levels?

Well, apperently not. René just denied that this image is DX-related...

And this is not ours but the FEMA one is.

Thanks for the image analysis everyone.

Just to let everyone know that all images have been updated on first post/first page of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonNick View Post
    nuclear power -- prohibitively expensive
    Funny, last time I checked, nuclear power was one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest form of energy production.

Source.

Quote Originally Posted by The Daily Beacon
    In fact, nuclear power has the lowest cost generation. Price per kilowatt hour has been steady since 2000, when it became the cheapest form of electricity generation, as compared to coal, oil and gas.

Quote Originally Posted by René View Post
    Steel or bricks! Awesome! Let's just say some of the texture artists (among others) are loving the debate!
    Haha, that's awesome.

I'm with the bricks side. I know nothing of construction or architecture, but I'll say that comparing these to the Deus Ex screenshots posted above, I'd prefer bricks because they share a more down-to-earth, sensible feel and because it would make for an easier transition as a prequel.

The whole, high-lighting, shiny glows and metal walls aesthetic belongs the post-Deus Ex era IMO, i.e. Deus Ex: Invisible War, where things are more experimental.

Deus Ex 3 should try to be as close to the present as possible, because that was obviously the approach with Deus Ex (other than nanotech, computers and other tech, the Deus Ex world was virtually identical to our own).
    From what I've seen of Deus Ex 3 so far, the aesthetic appears more imaginative and flowery. While not a bad thing in principle, it's going to need some serious explanation as to how the world ended up in a depression towards 2052.

Edit: What is the story behind this site anyways? Looks like fan art to me, but whatever it is, it's excellent. The image I've linked looks especially awesome for level design, that would fit so perfectly with Deus Ex.

Yeah, its interesting. I wondered about what the (earlier mentioned) issues might be because modern architecture (like what is going on in places such as Dubai) seems to have a lot less emphasis on concrete/steel/bricks, so I can totally get the internal shiny metal flooring and walls design we've seen so far. I imagine all modern structures will work with the environment too (solar heating etc). This image of the DWM building is very modern - love the abstract framework and all that glass (I expect the 'glass' is a stronger nano substitute?). It looks amazing next to the older buildings in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by facepalm View Post
    Funny, last time I checked, nuclear power was one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest form of energy production.

Source.
    that's a student newspaper. Find something real

Seriously though, while they are relatively cheap once they go up, getting them up is hideously expensive, as is their upkeep. Not to mention that relatively scarce fuel is becomming more of an issue. This is why nuclear power is likely part of a solution to our energy woes, not a silver bullet

But this is kinda off-topic. w/r/t to the real topic, what real life architecture is the game going after as an inspiration? I mean the montreal street corner concept art is pretty deconstructivist, so is there going to be a lot of deconstructivist buldings ingame?

WHO'S SIDE ARE YOU ON?

^
    Haha!

...I mean the montreal street corner concept art is pretty deconstructivist, so is there going to be a lot of deconstructivist buldings ingame?
    I hope so, and it makes sense because deconstructivist architecture is already with us. I love it myself. I'm fond of historic architecture too but I love to see the old and the new side by side.
    Hopefully the in-game city streets will show construction sites where old buildings are being replaced. Just like what is happening today... on-going environmental issues/policies will demand it, imo.

I think there are a lot of problems with deconstructivism (A lot of the time it's just really impractical or outright badly designed. Like that dorm at MIT that dumps huge snow drits in front of the main entrances whenever it snows because the wall is all funnel-shaped) But that when you take it out of the real world and it's just existing in a fictional vacuum where it doesn't HAVE to be practical, it's some of the coolest architecture there is.

Steel or bricks! Awesome! Let's just say some of the texture artists (among others) are loving the debate!.
    Are you serious?

Well i take it that you are so i can say my opinion on the matter

Metal is metal and it will stay metal. And metal music kicks ass.

Bricks can be painted, you can put a wallpaper on them wich gives you this much more tools to make the levels interesting. It will give your artists a lot more freedom to express themselves.

Bricks are more down to earth, and this is how Deus Ex is supposed to be, i think.

I think there are a lot of problems with deconstructivism (A lot of the time it's just really impractical or outright badly designed. Like that dorm at MIT that dumps huge snow drits in front of the main entrances whenever it snows because the wall is all funnel-shaped) But that when you take it out of the real world and it's just existing in a fictional vacuum where it doesn't HAVE to be practical, it's some of the coolest architecture there is.
    Nanotechnology will solve these kind of problems in the future. It will keep all surfaces clean and even heat or cool it.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Bel View Post
    Bricks are more down to earth, and this is how Deus Ex is supposed to be, i think.
    But lots of modern buildings today don't use bricks, do they?

But lots of modern buildings today don't use bricks, do they?
    Most buildings around here where I live are made of concrete elements.

Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast