Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: DX:HR - Image & Screenshot Gallery Archive (UPDATED 13 June 2010)

Wow, I remember that UI. It used to look so great. I thought the new one would be okay and all, what with it being stylized and stuff. But when I actually got the game and finished like 2-3 hours, it started to bug me and I imagined how the original Deus Ex UI would do, and I it could have been so awesome.

Thanks a bunch for sharing those screens, I really hope Eidos Montreal gets a UI like this for Deus Ex 3 instead of that eye-UI-thingy.

I look forward too seeing what the HUD looks like and possibly comparing notes with Jordan_a afterwards.

During my time working on a Dim3-based game with other folks, the HUD changed 126 times. I kept track.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    Anyway, do you see any solid steel walls in that lab? I don't. Hallways are never made out of metal. They are only in bad sci-fi.
    Not sure I'm quite getting this point. Could someone explain?

Quote Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
    Not sure I'm quite getting this point. Could someone explain?

I dont think its such a huge deal, but he is right about that.

Thank you.
    I understood what was said, but it was the reasoning behind it really. In that, what exactly is wrong with metal walls/panels etc?
    Why the issue with where it comes from and the cost etc, for example... as you kindly point out?
    Perhaps I'm on slow-mode today, hehe.

I don't think this is important but ever heared of cladding? Or decorative imitations? I personally know a school with colored metal claddings on the walls and I have also jobbed in several production facilities that looked a bit like this screens.

I also meant to ask if all walls really need bricks?

Well i think its kind of difficult to build a building with metal walls.

And by difficult i mean very very expensive. To the point that they could win the invisible corporate war with this kind of money.

Also i dont think that they need bricks, but something that is more down to earth. Like this stuff.

Ps:

LOL at the last VL pic.

I have to agree with fox on this one- I suspect the metal aesthetic is cladding.

As for the last VL pic, I think that wall material is a marble-esque tiling, a somewhat similar idea to the metal cladding. Entirely different visual context though.

Metal wall cladding goes with shiny metal floor plating, as fake-marble tiling goes with office carpet.

A quick googling reveals that a ton of steel can cost almost ten times as much as a ton of concrete. The exact numbers depend on what kind of material you are looking for, and where you buy it from.

Okay, thanks for the construction lessons.

So, would not advancements in nanotechnology/nanomaterials offer a solution for issues such as expense and strength?

Quote Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
    Okay, thanks for the construction lessons.

So, would not advancements in nanotechnology/nanomaterials offer a solution for issues such as expense and strength?
    It would take at least 15 years to become even moderately common in mass production, so by the time 2027 rolls around, maybe. Mind you, that's a completely arbitrary number, but oddly a seemingly reasonable one.

Those were just the raw material costs without the extra cost of labor included.

Processing iron ore to steel requires much more energy than just mixing cement, so it is very unlikely that nanotech would bring the price down.

Oh man... it's incredible how far some people go, just to find something they can criticize. Think what you want - metal cladding in industrial facilities is not unrealistic or "too Sci-Fi" - nor are those numbers on the wall. You can say that thing looks too clean or too colorful but not that it looks unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by -=fox=- View Post
    Oh man... it's incredible how far some people go, just to find something they can criticize. Think what you want - metal cladding in industrial facilities is not unrealistic or "too Sci-Fi" - nor are those numbers on the wall. You can say that thing looks too clean or too colorful but not that it looks unrealistic.
    You are missing the point. I don't care if there is one thing that's not very realistic.
    The problem is that exactly this is the reason why I always hated EVERYTHING that was set in the future. Just because it is set in the future, everybody seems to think they can do anything.
    Steel is way more expensive. It is very hard to install, especially those huge steel sheets.
    Let me ask you one question: how would you install the floors (I'm now talking about the old picture of the same hall)? They are huge and they are not intersected. You won't be able to turn them, because the walls are too close. So you would have to keep one part of the hallway open, then shove them in. Yeah, the cost of that will really be worth the aesthetics.
    And then I'm not even talking about the echoes. Could you imagine that?

I don't care if some things are unrealistic in games or movies (as long as it isn't too obvious). But if it doesn't make sense, then it will immediately be noticed. Deus Ex did not have that. Deus Ex was not generic sci-fi.
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Default metalk panels

I work in this stuff. We are designers of metal panels, and it's not so expensive as you think. Everyfhing can be made of metal panels(metal wals), but remember that metal walls aren't only metal panel. -Main construction of it is concetrate or other stell construct, so that what you see is not main construction of wall that's only air barrier, and so on. and waht is the most important it has to look good, sometimes from straight walls we made very complikated geometry.- then buliding looks "strange" but inside it's regular.
    Ofcourse isnide metal panels are also popular. Mount of those metal elevations sometimes is very complicated (very often fab pictures we have to made in 3D), and I think that I can't tell how it's made becouse this is secret. I'm from poland but we are making panels all over the world,USA: hosital ahuja terakota, iowa university, holborn londn, hongkong, germany-audi neuss ....

oo panels are often not from steel, but aluminium or other things, but sometimes investor wants material five times expensive than steel, so expensive that you can;t imagine it, and it's only becouse he wants it to look great-and that's all. usualy panel thikness is 1,2 to 3 mm in USA 1/8". Underconstruction aluminium 3mm to 5mm, main details steel, so generaly that are simpe walls weith added maetal panels if don't want just to paint such wall.
    Last edited by amk84; 03-04-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    You are missing the point. I don't care if there is one thing that's not very realistic.
    The problem is that exactly this is the reason why I always hated EVERYTHING that was set in the future. Just because it is set in the future, everybody seems to think they can do anything.
    Steel is way more expensive. It is very hard to install, especially those huge steel sheets.
    You keep making your old mistake of creating your own unfounded facts. How can you be so sure that it is steel? How can you know this isn't just a thin layer over something else?

Let me ask you one question: how would you install the floors (I'm now talking about the old picture of the same hall)?
    Which picture do you mean? One of these? http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...t=80886&page=6

babylon Tower t1 t2 h1 h2 are also our project, i found some fotos there is also visualization. ofcourse elevation is metal.-and glass

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=452890
    Last edited by amk84; 03-04-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Bel View Post
    Ps:

Quote Originally Posted by -=fox=- View Post
    You keep making your old mistake of creating your own unfounded facts. How can you be so sure that it is steel? How can you know this isn't just a thin layer over something else?

Which picture do you mean? One of these? http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...t=80886&page=6
    Nope. I can't find it anymore, so I uploaded it:

There is metal everywhere. There are metal ornaments, the walls are covered with metal, the floors seem to be covered with metal... It will be pretty expensive everything combined. And it can't be too thin, because they can't be too frail (they aren't just flat surfaces).
    Fact remains that it will echo a lot, and that it can't be installed, except with a lot of hard work.

PS. Please show me just one corridor which looks like this (the same amount of metal).
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Default metal panl

Metal is future,and DX is in future, and metal panel, that are maybe sometimes complicated to make elemnts but easy to mount and umount, easy to repair and to change for new one, and you just mount metal and termozolation between the wall and panel, think what you have to do without it, even with a simple house, izolation, plaster... and everything must be doe perfect, metal panels are made so that if something goes wrong there is always reserve to put it were it should be. Ofcourse if you have simple walls square, no arc and so on then elemts and constuction is so easy that is even funny- i know what i tell becouse I every day spend 8 houers making it, and so element like on screens from DX3 are rather easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Bel View Post
    Ps:

Low blow. Low, blow...

Well...to me that looks just like a shiny, segmented surface. I don't know what it is and if there's something else underneath. The grid in the foreground is probably metal and yes, parts of the walls look like metal too but they could easily be made of plastic or carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by amk84 View Post
    panels are often not from steel, but aluminium or other things.
    usualy panel thikness is 1,2 to 3 mm in USA 1/8". Underconstruction aluminium 3mm to 5mm, main details steel, so generaly that are simpe walls weith added maetal panels if don't want just to paint such wall.
    Metal is future,and DX is in future, and metal panel, that are maybe sometimes complicated to make elemnts but easy to mount and umount, easy to repair and to change for new one, and you just mount metal and termozolation between the wall and panel, think what you have to do without it, even with a simple house, izolation, plaster... and everything must be doe perfect, metal panels are made so that if something goes wrong there is always reserve to put it were it should be. Ofcourse if you have simple walls square, no arc and so on then elemts and constuction is so easy that is even funny- i know what i tell becouse I every day spend 8 houers making it, and so element like on screens from DX3 are rather easy to make.

On big, industrial-like complexes that require quick and repairable isolation, thin aluminium pannels are often used like amk said.
    I'm under the assumption that's what those walls are normal concrete walls with a alloyed pannels covering them. If that is the case, the whole arguement about it being hard to instal is actually false. As long as the walls keep a nice even angle, changing and mounting modullar pannels is actually rather quick work.

While I kind of agree with all of this metal talk, it's definitely not one of the more important things. If EM does read this board, they will assume all of our complaints are as trivial as this (assuming they care, and that we are actually their target audience [which we most likely are NOT]). So I think the best thing to do would be to concentrate on the Universal Ammo scale mistakes.

e.g., Call of Duty health.

Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast