Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: DX:HR - Image & Screenshot Gallery Archive (UPDATED 13 June 2010)

I just want to get 'in there' and start exploring!

René is offline Ex-Eidos Montréal Community Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Unstoppable View Post
    Neither of those are in game.
    Both of those are in-game.

If those are in-game, then it's pretty clear that all the lighting has been pre-rendered and the post-processing has been pretty much "faked" as there would have to be effects at work that are so far unsupported by modern GPUs.

It's possible they took screenshots and heavily "doctored them up" or just made these pictures straight out of Photoshop, but I highly doubt those are in-game. Especially considering the last-gen nature of the game engine.

/Broken record.

Whatever, I think it looks great. Even considering all the above 'possibilities'.
    signature image
    Something something, death and taxes. Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by René View Post
    They might be in-engine...

Anyway, why am I the only one who thinks hallways completely made out of steel are a laugable example of crappy sci-fi generic crap?
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Oooh, thanks for confirmation there, Rene.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace View Post
    If those are in-game, then it's pretty clear that all the lighting has been pre-rendered and the post-processing has been pretty much "faked" as there would have to be effects at work that are so far unsupported by modern GPUs.

It's possible they took screenshots and heavily "doctored them up" or just made these pictures straight out of Photoshop, but I highly doubt those are in-game. Especially considering the last-gen nature of the game engine.
    ^Not only are you a downer, but you have no idea what you speak of.

These LOOK GREAT!!! Keep up the awesome work!

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    Anyway, why am I the only one who thinks hallways completely made out of steel are a laugable example of crappy sci-fi generic crap?
    I think they look fine in their own right, not overly sci-fi - certainly not anywhere near Invisible War's levels - but it's hard to reconcile this with the style of the original Deus Ex, which is far more gritty and current than this game which is set 20 years earlier. If this was a sequel, I'd have no problem with these screens; as it is, they seem out of continuity.

That said, on a base graphical level (i.e. disassociated from the established continuity) they look great, really good work. I really look forward to seeing some actual in-game (as opposed to in-engine, as gamer0004 noted) shots, complete with HUD and weapon models. I think that might be a way away though.

I think it's a bit early for a HUD image. HUD will change 98301278939 times until the game is done.

Needs more concrete.

Amazing, I haven't seen an abundance of crates yet...

...yet...

René is offline Ex-Eidos Montréal Community Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ashpolt View Post
    ...it's hard to reconcile this with the style of the original Deus Ex, which is far more gritty and current than this game which is set 20 years earlier.
    I don't agree with that statement! DX1 had gritty environments (Hell's Kitchen) but so do we in DX3. Okay so the first pic is just a sewer but in the second concept art shot, look at the lower half of that city. How good is life for those people down there? We know one of the cities is Detroit and look at what's happening there right now. "...Moroun owns the decrepit Michigan Central Rail Depot that squats directly next to the warehouse. The train station has become the symbol of Detroit's decay. Like much of his property in southwestern Detroit, Moroun's warehouse and the train station are gaping sores." What about in 20 more years when DX3 takes place?

And notice of all the screenshots we've released, they're all interiors. We haven't shown outdoor shots in-game yet. In any case, we can easily see the juxtaposition between new and old in every day life. As one example, check out Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.'s facility and the city in which it resides, Hsinchu.

The point is, these things can easily be side-by-side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashpolt View Post
    That said, on a base graphical level (i.e. disassociated from the established continuity) they look great, really good work. I really look forward to seeing some actual in-game (as opposed to in-engine, as gamer0004 noted) shots, complete with HUD and weapon models. I think that might be a way away though.
    Those are in-game. The HUD was removed via a debug menu since these were "beauty shots". But yes, the HUD is still being designed so things are bound to change from when those were taken (September 2008). Remember the early IW HUD? Like El_Bel said, things change!

You probably can't answer this, but is there any intention to build customisability into the interface (Beyond just the colour/transparency settings I mean)?

Those are in-game. The HUD was removed via a debug menu since these were "beauty shots". But yes, the HUD is still being designed so things are bound to change from when those were taken (September 2008). Remember the early IW HUD? Like El_Bel said, things change!
    The early IW HUD is what should have been in the final game. Back when it was "Deus Ex 2" the game showed so much promise. Even when the first gameplay videos released, it looked like a deserving sequel. Unfortunately, the game released and felt like it just didn't belong in the same universe as Deus Ex.

Really? Are you guys going for the cel-shaded cartoon look?

I know everyone automatically assumes I'm talking negatively, but I'm not. That's a genuine question.

*sigh* a Tomb Raider/Snowblind HUD would be much, much worse. But you wouldn't be able to say anything about that would you?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace View Post
    The early IW HUD is what should have been in the final game. Back when it was "Deus Ex 2" the game showed so much promise. Even when the first gameplay videos released, it looked like a deserving sequel. Unfortunately, the game released and felt like it just didn't belong in the same universe as Deus Ex.
    LOL, in that case imagine how this game will turn out.

Please please please show us the HUD. I find it rather interesting to see the development of the HUDs of Deus Ex (yes, I'm weird).

Anyway, do you see any solid steel walls in that lab? I don't. Hallways are never made out of metal. They are only in bad sci-fi. Which is why I compared it to that.
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer0004 View Post
    Anyway, do you see any solid steel walls in that lab? I don't. Hallways are never made out of metal. They are only in bad sci-fi. Which is why I compared it to that.
    Well i understand what you are saying, and i agree. But it is not such a big deal for me. I wouldn't notice if you haven't told me.

Remember the early IW HUD?
    Oh god, how could they mess up a HUD like this? It was perfect!! It was better than DX!!

And it had localized damage
    Last edited by El_Bel; 03-03-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Cant say I agree with the cartoon/cell shaded comparison. Look forward now to seeing an outdoors shot.

What I find interesting about "photo-realistic" games (like Crysis, Mass Effect or COD:Modern Warfare) is that the NPC's, while detailed, don't seem to have the life that a more "stylized" character (like in TR:Underworld or Vampire: Bloodlines) can convey; the "uncanny valley" is still there.

It's no coincidence that I find the most emotional attachment in the characters like the ones from Valkyria Chronicles, in which photo-realism is completely abandoned for something more visceral and connecting to the player.

If Eidos Montreal is putting a lot of effort into emotional connection to the characters, then a less photo-realistic path may be the best choice.

I don't agree with that statement! DX1 had gritty environments (Hell's Kitchen) but so do we in DX3. Okay so the first pic is just a sewer but in the second concept art shot, look at the lower half of that city. How good is life for those people down there? We know one of the cities is Detroit and look at what's happening there right now. "...Moroun owns the decrepit Michigan Central Rail Depot that squats directly next to the warehouse. The train station has become the symbol of Detroit's decay. Like much of his property in southwestern Detroit, Moroun's warehouse and the train station are gaping sores." What about in 20 more years when DX3 takes place?

And notice of all the screenshots we've released, they're all interiors. We haven't shown outdoor shots in-game yet. In any case, we can easily see the juxtaposition between new and old in every day life. As one example, check out Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.'s facility and the city in which it resides, Hsinchu.

<<Images removed>>

The point is, these things can easily be side-by-side.
    Sorry, I obviously didn't explain my point clearly. I don't doubt Deus Ex 3 will have grit, nor do I doubt that it will do it well - what I meant was that it's hard to imagine how the tech will go from this in 2027 to the less advanced stuff in the timeline of the original Deus Ex. Take Versalife's labs, for example: they're some of the most advanced labs on the planet, working in genetic manipulation (and by all accounts far ahead of their competitors, due to their looser morals) and other advanced fields, and yet their lab would not be out of place today. What we've seen in Deus Ex 3 looks more futuristic than that very real-world approach, so it's hard to imagine why technology seems to have slid backwards in 25 years: even with an economic collapse, surely the best labs in the world would have vastly superior technology to what was being used 25 years previously?

Well, good stuff. That said, please remember that Invisible War's HUD actually got worse through development, not better, so please don't make their mistake!

And personally, I'd say please don't go with the "HUD fades when you don't completely need it" option. I understand it has a place, but...well, more screen furniture gives the impression of a more complex game, and considering the game is being dumbed down in other areas, it'd be good if you could at least keep the illusion of complexity in others. :P

But yes, the HUD is still being designed so things are bound to change from when those were taken (September 2008).
    The HUD I saw last summer was perfect though.
    "The year is 2027"

Quote Originally Posted by CarloGervasi View Post
    Does anybody have a screen shot of the old style Invisible War HUD? I don't think I've ever seen it.

You can tell it was a better game, just by looking at the HUD.

I'm going to go and cry now.
    9 augs...segmented health...uhguguguhh...

Seeing that little health man was too much...

Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast