Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > General Eidos Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 09-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
So why play it? I play games to have fun. Interesting games, that are interesting in themselves, without me needing to 'make them interesting'. If I need to put the effort (and the money) into enjoying it, without it giving me an amazing experience, I don't see the point.
Agreed once again.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Protagonist

@ Lo don't get discouraged by negative comments. Play it and decide for yourself if you like it or not. I agree with Rachie start off with Sims 2.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Protagonist

The sims (series) is a virtual doll's house. It does a decent job at it, but it isn't a game. There's no "game over" screen, no comments about losing. There's discouragement about killing people off, but that's still not "you lost". (If there's no way of losing, you can't win). Getting lots of money also doesn't result in a "you win" screen...
Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraku View Post
@ Lo don't get discouraged by negative comments. Play it and decide for yourself if you like it or not. I agree with Rachie start off with Sims 2.
Exactly. Don't let the others put you off, think of the millions of players out there instead. Plus, not all people have the same taste in gaming. I personally love the sims.

Quote:
The sims (series) is a virtual doll's house. It does a decent job at it, but it isn't a game. There's no "game over" screen, no comments about losing. There's discouragement about killing people off, but that's still not "you lost". (If there's no way of losing, you can't win). Getting lots of money also doesn't result in a "you win" screen...
Not all games are about winning or losing, RG. It's the enjoyment and good memories you get out of the experience.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie View Post
Not all games are about winning or losing, RG. It's the enjoyment and good memories you get out of the experience.
Maybe. Just don't expect much fun gameplay or storyline when playing the sims. (Key components that make games fun). Gameplay, because you have to put the effort in yourself, and storyline because you have to make it up yourself...

Last edited by rg_001100; 09-20-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Maybe. Just don't expect much fun gameplay or storyline when playing the simes. (Key components that make games fun). Gameplay, because you have to put the effort in yourself, and storyline because you have to make it up yourself...
All the more fun, for me. I do love messing up their lives. Mwahahaha!!

"Storylines are important." - Says the boy who said not too long ago that games are not all about the plot behind them.

Whoops.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Maybe. Just don't expect much fun gameplay or storyline when playing the simes. (Key components that make games fun). Gameplay, because you have to put the effort in yourself, and storyline because you have to make it up yourself...
Therein lies the fun. If I had that much control of the story. Say in TRAOD I would have blasted Kurtis Trent at the sight of him. Eckhardt too. BANG...
Old 09-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
"Storylines are important." - Says the boy who said not too long ago that games are not all about the plot behind them.
Absence of story is acceptable in a game with amazing, arcade gameplay. Pac-man and space invaders would suffer from getting a story.
Most other games require storylines. (multiplayer and skirmish games excluded... although even they usually have at least some story behind them). Story can also improve the game where the gameplay cannot, that's why it's important. If the gameplay is fun on its own most people happily ignore the details of story.

Sims just has no "win/lose" going for it.

Quote:
Therein lies the fun. If I had that much control of the story. Say in TRAOD I would have blasted Kurtis Trent at the sight of him. Eckhardt too. BANG...
I'd hope that stories get more dynamic, yes, in that the players decisions and actions affect the story. But even then it would still require a win and a lose (and would probably have some grey in between those two).

Sims just doesn't allow completion, or reward, when playing it.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Absence of story is acceptable in a game with amazing, arcade gameplay. Pac-man and space invaders would suffer from getting a story.
Most other games require storylines. (multiplayer and skirmish games excluded... although even they usually have at least some story behind them). Story can also improve the game where the gameplay cannot, that's why it's important. If the gameplay is fun on its own most people happily ignore the details of story.

Sims just has no "win/lose" going for it.

I'd hope that stories get more dynamic, yes, in that the players decisions and actions affect the story. But even then it would still require a win and a lose (and would probably have some grey in between those two).

Sims just doesn't allow completion, or reward, when playing it.
It's simple Win=Equals your Sims Filthy rich, At the top of the career ladder, with a load of offspring. i.e Children and Grandchildren.
Lose=Sims broke as heck and die-ing of starvation, or lack of skills and burns the house down, then die.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
It's simple Win=Equals your Sims Filthy rich, At the top of the career ladder, with a load of offspring. i.e Children and Grandchildren.
Lose=Sims broke as heck and die-ing of starvation, or lack of skills and burns the house down, then die.
No where does it say that. And the game engine does not ever handle it as a "win". How much is "filthy rich"... $10, $100, $1000, $100000, $10000000, etc. always possible to get more, i.e. always get closer to winning without actually winning.

Nor does it handle death as loss, it's not "load game", it's "start new family". There's no incentive.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
No where does it say that. And the game engine does not ever handle it as a "win". How much is "filthy rich"... $10, $100, $1000, $100000, $10000000, etc. always possible to get more, i.e. always get closer to winning without actually winning.

Nor does it handle death as loss, it's not "load game", it's "start new family". There's no incentive.
The dead become tombstones or in Sims to ashes/urns. Then they become ghost. Now come on that's incentive enough for me. If the family dies they stay on the home as tombstones. New comers to the house have to deal with pesky ghost.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Protagonist

Quote:

Actually, rich is counted as $99,9999,9999. You can't get any higher.

It doesn't matter about winning or losing! How many times do I have to say it?

Quote:
The dead become tombstones or in Sims to ashes/urns. Then they become ghost. Now come on that's incentive enough for me. If the family dies they stay on the home as tombstones. New comers to the house have to deal with pesky ghost.
Ghosts can be a pain...a once had a girl sim who married tons of newbies, then I drowned them in the pool. So about 50 ghosts come per night, always nearly give her a heartattack (I have to keep re-loading to stop that) and leave puddles everywhere.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Actually, rich is counted as $99,9999,9999. You can't get any higher.

It doesn't matter about winning or losing! How many times do I have to say it?

Ghosts can be a pain...a once had a girl sim who married tons of newbies, then I drowned them in the pool. So about 50 ghosts come per night, always nearly give her a heartattack (I have to keep re-loading to stop that) and leave puddles everywhere.
Death by drowningMurder murder I say. I have a fear of death by drowning. Makes my skin crawl. That why I never like doing that. Okay I did do it a couple of times to pesky neighbors. *evil laugh* But I look away.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Death by drowningMurder murder I say. I have a fear of death by drowning. Makes my skin crawl. That why I never like doing that. Okay I did do it a couple of times to pesky neighbors. *evil laugh* But I look away.
I reckon death by fire is the cruelest.

Death by satellite reaps it's rewards... (Try selling it).

I must try death by running with scissors....

But anyway. Sims is great fun.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
I reckon death by fire is the cruelest.

Death by satellite reaps it's rewards... (Try selling it).

I must try death by running with scissors....

But anyway. Sims is great fun.
I could never cause death by satellite. I wanted to but... Never could, sometimes did want to cause it. The one thing that happened a lot was the Stupid CLOWN *tears hair out*
Old 09-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
I could never cause death by satellite. I wanted to but... Never could, sometimes did want to cause it. The one thing that happened a lot was the Stupid CLOWN *tears hair out*
Heard of boolprop?

And clown?!?!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Heard of boolprop?

And clown?!?!
Yes cheating. Why didn't I see that before. Wait I couldn't get him out even while using boolprop. Plus boolprop can cause some issues. I think you have to get the clown to look at a picture on the wall or something.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Yes cheating. Why didn't I see that before. Wait I couldn't get him out even while using boolprop. Plus boolprop can cause some issues. I think you have to get the clown to look at a picture on the wall or something.
Good old cheats.

And what clown?!?!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Good old cheats.

And what clown?!?!
When all you're Sims are unhappy(in the red) and that annoyance comes to cheer them up. wink wink
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
When all you're Sims are unhappy(in the red) and that annoyance comes to cheer them up. wink wink
Ahh, I see. Something new to try out then.

I do love this notice. This is a Sims game over:

Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Ahh, I see. Something new to try out then.

I do love this notice. This is a Sims game over:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...eathNotice.png
I've seen that one before. Notice how there's no "You must try again, you've failed". It's not game over, if you can keep going as you were. (In pacman when it's game over, you have to start again from scratch, there's no just continuing to eat the dots like nothing happened...)
Old 09-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
I've seen that one before. Notice how there's no "You must try again, you've failed". It's not game over, if you can keep going as you were. (In pacman when it's game over, you have to start again from scratch, there's no just continuing to eat the dots like nothing happened...)
Because failing is the best part of a game!!!!

(Heavy heavy sarcasm).
Old 09-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
It's more like if you accidentally killed Lara and you start from the last saved checkpoint or saved game. More or less
Old 09-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
It's more like if you accidentally killed Lara and you start from the last saved checkpoint or saved game. More or less
Pretty much, yeah.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Because failing is the best part of a game!!!!

(Heavy heavy sarcasm).
Without failing there can't be winning. (or winning is then made redundant...). If you're one of those people who doesn't like winning...

Quote:
Well, at least that has a goal in mind, to get to the next checkpoint/recover some treasure. Death just after a savegame is an example of consequenceless loss... but the example given in Sims isn't even losing.
Quote:
feel free to move another family into this lot