Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > General Eidos Community Forums > Community Chat

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Protagonist

Default "The Sims 3"

I got my game informer mag today and read news there's gonna be a Sims 3. The game is gonna be more character based or something. The Sims franchise is probably the only PC game I buy. Like building families but they always turn dysfunctional on my watch. My first families dad burned alive Who else is looking forward to "The Sims 3"
Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraku View Post
I got my game informer mag today and read news there's gonna be a Sims 3. The game is gonna be more character based or something. The Sims franchise is probably the only PC game I buy. Like building families but they always turn dysfunctional on my watch. My first families dad burned alive Who else is looking forward to "The Sims 3"

I read that straight from the website. There's about a hundred different personality choices, there are tons of new customizations (of sims, clothing and furniture) and you now have the option of walking around the streets and things. It looks great!

*Sigh* And I remember playing the good old Sims.....one.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Protagonist

My sister is.

We have Sims 2. It seems more like a game for expansion packs than anything else:
  • The Sims 2
  • The Sims 2: University
  • The Sims 2: Nightlife
  • The Sims 2: Open for Business
  • The Sims 2: Pets
  • The Sims 2: Season
  • The Sims 2: Bon Voyage
  • The Sims 2: FreeTime
  • The Sims 2: Apartment Life

Not to mention "stuff packs":
  • Holiday Party Pack
  • Family Fun Stuff
  • Glamour Life Stuff
  • Happy Holiday Stuff
  • Celebration! Stuff
  • Fashion Stuff
  • Teen Style Stuff
  • Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff
  • Mansion & Garden Stuff (coming soon)

I can understand the need for an expansion pack for a game, but this just seems a bit OTT. If the Sims 3 doesn't have at least all this functionality...
Old 09-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Agony Aunt

I've only really recently shown an interest in the Sims game and have been learning a little about it.

I'd quite like to buy one. Would you suggest I start with the first one or skip straight to the second (or wait for the third)? Only I don't really understand the concept properly yet. Is it a bit like the Tycoon games?

I saw a few clips on YouTube about it but it didn't make too much sense to a novice
Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Protagonist

I have The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Glamour stuff. Not a fan of sims, I find it boring tbh.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Protagonist

OMG i love the sims but i am getting Sims 3 for 360 becuase my computer is too crapy and slow for games like that!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Protagonist

@RG Omg that's quite a collection. I have The Sims collection. The Sims 2 and Open for business. That's it cause my system can't handle any more. I'm thinking of buying a new PC or Mac. I like the Mac, plus it can switch operating system at the push of a button. Don't know if XP on a Mac means I can install The Sims 3 though. I've never tried it on a console either as I like to get patches and junk from the website.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo View Post
I've only really recently shown an interest in the Sims game and have been learning a little about it.

I'd quite like to buy one. Would you suggest I start with the first one or skip straight to the second (or wait for the third)? Only I don't really understand the concept properly yet. Is it a bit like the Tycoon games?

I saw a few clips on YouTube about it but it didn't make too much sense to a novice
The whole point of the Sims is, really, to either make or break a person's life. It's completely non-linear gameplay. Pretty much, you make a sim (or sims, "sim" is a shortened version of the word "simulations"), build a house, then go wild. You can get your sim married and start a family, or climb the career ladder, make them a complete no-life, or do whatever. It's all completely your choice.

I like to make my sims vampires and werewolves.

You can also download pretty amazing custom content made by users like us from the Sims 2 website. I uploaded an Amanda Evert sim at one point. (And then people stole my custom content and created exact clones of my sim cause it was easily the most realistic, so MINE got deleted. How dare they!)

But yeah. I love the sims one, cause of nostalgic reasons and such. If you are going to buy it, I would probably recommend Sims 2. But if your planning on getting both Sims 2 and 3, probably get 3.

@naraku, RG doesn't have all those games. He was just showing how many expansion packs they have.

@RG, you are right, EA is pretty much using it to get more money, but also because the Sims 2 is a BIG game, and so if all of those options were available with the one game only the people with powerful computers could play.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Gamer

I love Sims!
I have:
The Sims (PC)
The Sims (PS2)
The Sims Bustin' Out (PS2)
The Sims 2 (PC)
The Sims 2: University
The Sims 2: Open for Business
The Sims 2: H&M fashion Stuff
... and one day i'll have The Sims 3!

This game is so cool, you can do whatever you want with your Sims and build amazing houses!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Protagonist

lets hope they can talk properly
Old 09-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
@RG Omg that's quite a collection. I have The Sims collection. The Sims 2 and Open for business. That's it cause my system can't handle any more. I'm thinking of buying a new PC or Mac. I like the Mac, plus it can switch operating system at the push of a button. Don't know if XP on a Mac means I can install The Sims 3 though. I've never tried it on a console either as I like to get patches and junk from the website.
I don't own all of them. Nor am I a fan. My sister is the fan, I know we own a couple, and my sis has borrowed a couple of her friends. I just think it's ridiculous that they have that many expansions, it seems like a way to get more money by selling the features of the game individually rather than as a package.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
I don't own all of them. Nor am I a fan. My sister is the fan, I know we own a couple, and my sis has borrowed a couple of her friends. I just think it's ridiculous that they have that many expansions, it seems like a way to get more money by selling the features of the game individually rather than as a package.
So you never took the time to play it? Not even once?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Protagonist

Played it a couple of times. It just seems pointless. There's no goal = no way to determine winning or losing. Treadmill style of gameplay of getting lots of money/things has nothing going for it. I just think it's digital doll's house. I'm not a fan.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Played it a couple of times. It just seems pointless. There's no goal = no way to determine winning or losing. Treadmill style of gameplay of getting lots of money/things has nothing going for it. I just think it's digital doll's house. I'm not a fan.
Agree. I never saw the point in it.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Protagonist

Cool

Quote:
all games are pointless to play but we still play them! some games people just want to complete the game to know the story. the others games are to have fun like the sims!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde croft View Post
all games are pointless to play but we still play them! some games people just want to complete the game to know the story. the others games are to have fun like the sims!
To play God, in other words.

The creator of the Sims also made Spore for the very same reason.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde croft View Post
[COLOR="can not read"]all games are pointless to play but we still play them! some games people just want to complete the game to know the story. the others games are to have fun like the sims! [/COLOR]
It's fun when you first play it. But after a while, it gets boring. While other games have a REPLAY value.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Your Sims could die. That's sorta like losing.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Protagonist

It's not like spore really, it does have an ending as such with the space stage and you get to blow stuff up
Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Gamer

OMG THE SIMSS !!!!

sorry, i am sooooo addicted to that gamee
I have all expansion + stuff packs, and there's gonna be another (probably the last one) stuff pack called : Mansion & Garden (or something)

Anyway The Sims 3 is coming out 19 Februari (maybe in USA earlier) 2009. Maybe some of you already know the official sims 3 site : www.thesims3.com

http://www.simworld.de/simworldclub/wbblite/threa d.php?sid=0ed5cc5927825f6d935ce387c740ce96&postid=100249#

http://www.simforum.de/showpost.php?...8&postcount=20

http://www.sims2fans.de/page/gc08/sims3bilder_1.php

http://thesims.de/

http://www.simtimes.de/specials/game...sims3_preview/

Here are some gameplay screenshots if some of you might be interested The game ISN'T finished yet, so they are still working on it Some screens are not very clear because the pictures have been taken with a normal camera (so not fraps or other programs) This pictures were made in the Games Convetion 2008. For some who don't understand german :
- There is no weather (not yet)
- There are cars + bikes
- The city contains a cinema, hospital and a museum..

Can't Wait!!

Last edited by xXxN@0M!3xXx; 09-20-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Your Sims could die. That's sorta like losing.
yeah, but:

- There is no replay value
- they just talk, make out, have kids, kids grow up, make out, have kids etc etc. it's just the same neverending thing.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexie View Post
yeah, but:

- There is no replay value
- they just talk, make out, have kids, kids grow up, make out, have kids etc etc. it's just the same neverending thing.
Ain't having kids called Woohoo Neverending and you say there's no replay value. Things go wrong and its fun to watch. Till something gets burnt.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Ain't having kids called Woohoo Neverending and you say there's no replay value. Things go wrong and its fun to watch. Till something gets burnt.
yeah, but after you ahve seen it 500 times, it's not fun at all.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Ah yes, the disastrous BBQs where the guests find themselves suddenly trapped in a small room with no escape....and fire.

EDIT: @Rexie, it's up to you to make the game interesting. Bored of your family? Cause a death, or have one of the spouses have an affair with the gardener. It's all completely your choice, entirely up to you. Make or break their lives, with just a click of a button.

And also, some people play to write stories with their sims to put on the website. Some are really fantastic!!

Last edited by Rachie; 09-20-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie View Post
it's up to you to make the game interesting.
So why play it? I play games to have fun. Interesting games, that are interesting in themselves, without me needing to 'make them interesting'. If I need to put the effort (and the money) into enjoying it, without it giving me an amazing experience, I don't see the point.