Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make Thief 1 run on a modern computer

Default How to make Thief 1 run on a modern computer

EDIT again
    =======

The latest version of TFix, which modifies the Thief TDP or Gold installation, may be found here:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

========
    Previous Edit
    ========

The instructions described below were developed several years ago. These steps still work, but a much easier method, which achieves better results, is to use a user-developed program called TFix, which is described on page 2 of this thread. TFix takes care of all the problems with video, audio, multiple cores, and wide screen in one installation. You start with a fresh install of T1, run TFix, change a few configuration settings to your liking, and that is it. Further details are given on page 2. Enjoy.

Thanks to John Curran for pointing this out and providing detailed information on his web site, http://www.johnanthonycurran.com/thief.html.

=====================
    Obsolete instructions below
    =====================

The purpose of this thread is to list verified fixes that are necessary to make Thief 1 (The Dark Project or Gold) run on modern computers (Windows 2000 or later). Please do not use this thread to ask questions. Please start another thread for questions. If you find any errors in the following or suggested improvements, please post them here.

There are several things one generally has to do to get Thief 1 to work on a modern computer. Some depend on the type of video card you have, as noted below. Some depend on which version of the software you have.

1. Installation. Install using the normal method. A full install is recommended. Disk space is cheap these days, and you don't want to be reading files from the CD during the game.

2. Patch. Start Thief but do not start a mission (the main graphics). Escape to desktop using the Pause/Break key, and look at its icon in the task bar. If it displays a version number less than 1.33, it would be a good idea (but not necessary) to patch the installation to version 1.33, the final version of The Dark Project. Thief Gold is the final official release at 1.37, but if you do not have Gold already you cannot patch to Gold.
    For original release versions, the patches can be found here:
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/patches/

If you have a re-released version, it may be already patched. If not, you need to get the patch from the software manufacturer, not the above link. It may be on your CD.

3. convict.osm. To get Thief 1 fan missions to run, you need to download the file convict.osm and place that file in your Thief install folder. A link to convict.osm is found in the above patches link.

4. Single processor. If you have dual or more CPUs, or if you have hyperthreading enabled, you must make Thief run on only one processor.

First test it with Process Manager. Start Thief but do not start a mission. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and select Process Manager. Select the Processes tab and scroll to find thief.exe. Right click on thief.exe, and set its affinity to one CPU. Then return to Thief (icon on task bar), start a mission, and play for a while. If it works, then make a backup of your EXE and make it permanent using imagecfg.
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guides/hyperthreading/

5. Correct Nvidia driver. If you have an Nvidia video card, note that many Nvidia drivers cause an immediate crash to desktop the instant you start the main Thief graphics. You need to install one of a few drivers that are known to work with Thief 1. As of this writing, April 14, 2008, the following are known to work: 163.71, 163.75, and 169.21 WHQL.

6. safe_texture_manager bug. If you have an Nvidia video card and one of the original Thief releases, you will probably have a problem with the safe_texture_manager bug, with which you will see an error "Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage". Unlike Thief 2 there is no line in USR.CFG to fix it. Instead, you must download a patched EXE in which this problem has already been fixed. See the section "Nvidia Driver 5x.xx Fixes" in the patches link, item 2 above.

If you have a re-release, particularly one stating that it stated to be compatible with XP, then the above patches will probably not work. If that is the case, and if you can't get past the safe_texture_manager bug, then your only solutions are to use an ATI video card or to ask for your money back from the software vendor.

7. DDFIX. After you get it working, consider installing the DDFIX patch for 32 bit rendering and no resolution switching with menus and books.
    http://timeslip.chorrol.com/ddfix.html.

You will not see an obvious benefit in the rendering with Thief 1, but you can see that it is smoother if you make a screen copy and zoom closer. Its main benefit is to avoid the resolution switching.

I suggest that you try to make Thief run before applying DDFIX, because there may be other problems that need to be solved first. If you have issues making DDFIX work, there are probably solutions posted at TTLG:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117616

8. For some recent Nvidia cards (e.g., 8800 GT), you may have to install DDFIX before it will run.

Vista? There may be some additional things you need to do with Vista. I am not currently aware of them. Please respond with any additional fixes you find necessary and successful. I'll add useful ones to this initial post.

Re-released versions. There may be additional problems associated with re-released versions such as Sold-Out or Steam. I am not currently aware of these problems or how to fix them. Please post any additional fixes you know will work. My advice is to stick to the original release versions if you can find them.
    Last edited by Peter Smith; 03-21-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", the warden (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke

Thanks for the post. Helped me get Thief working again. Thanks

read through this, i have some questions though. got thief gold, and i am installing it on a brand new vista system. i had it running fine (did the target altering and added the upgrades) thing is when i try the ddfix to get the enhanced graphics i get an error. it basically says DirectX 6 or higher is not installed and it will only run in windowed mode. i jsut wanted to know if anyone had a fix for this before i play it without it.

thanks!

edit, finally got it. but now videos wont work.
    Last edited by nni; 06-19-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Perhaps this is a little late to do you any good, but Goldsla just posted some great stuff in the Thief 2 sticky thread on how to make T2 work with 64 bit Vista. Getting the latest Indeo codecs to make movies play was part of it. The same advice may work with T1 / Gold as well.

My game crashes right when I start the game with the thieffixedgold, I have an nvidia geforce 6200, Single Core, Windows XP . Help me please

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom914 View Post
    My game crashes right when I start the game with the thieffixedgold, I have an nvidia geforce 6200, Single Core, Windows XP . Help me please
    I am definately no expert, and I am running vista, but this is what I did when thieffixedgold did not work for me:

1) I restored my original THIEF.exe from my saved copy
    2) I installed imagecfg and patched the file to run only with a single CPU. See the single processor note, above. My batch file looks like:
    imagecfg -u thief.exe
    imagecfg -a 0x1 thief.exe
    pause
    3) I tried it out.
    4) I installed the DDFIX patch for 32 bit rendering (see above) manually using hex editor NEO.
    5) I tried it out.

That was all I needed. I don't know why thieffixedgold did not work, even after patching it for a single CPU. But it didn't. But imagecfg and DDFIX worked for my Thief Gold installation. If you don't have a multi-cpu problem, then this probably won't help. I am running 2 NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 graphics cards with no problems. Good luck!
    Last edited by goldsla; 07-23-2008 at 02:42 PM.

hi dude....

thanks for those links and detailed information...

it ill b better if u summarized all those here...

bcoz some may missing in the links....

anyways thanks for it...

update regularly...

If you can't get hardware/eax audio working you can follow the directions posted here.

The a3d.dll found here worked for me. I only had software audio as an option before doing this(I have onboard audio by Realtek) but now it plays with hardware and EAX.

Posted this in another thread, but was directed here.

I've been having this problem with Thief Gold...it starts up fine, I'm able to access the main menu and such, but when I try to start the game, it crashes. After I watch one of the intro cutscenes (With Training or Without, doesn't matter) and then click the 'Continue' button to start, the game flickers between my desktop and the game before it finally settles on a black screen. When I go to Task Manager, the game is 'Not Responding' and I'm forced to close it.

Vlad_Midnight suggested that the problem is in my processors, as I do have a dual core system. However, the game is already running in only one processor by default. After I use CTRL+ALT+DEL to check its affinity, it shows up as using 'CPU 0' only (My other choice is 'CPU 1').

What's the problem here? I've been looking forward to playing this game for days, and I can't get it to work...

Please ask questions in a separate thread. This thread is for assembling information only. See the first sentence of the first post, marked in bold.

Ok, without asking a question, how can I circumvent that. Ah, I know....

We need a more current list of compatible Nvidia drivers, I am on 180.xx version now, much newer than the last compatible one mentioned which is 169.21. Surely we don't want to go back many versions so all our newer games won't run at their best (Call of Juarez 2, Ghostbusters, Prototype, soon Wolfenstein, just to name a few). Whoever does these compatibility tests please check newer drivers and list which works, I really don't want to install 1 version at a time, backwards, until I find out which is the latest one that works. Especially when someone might already know, namely the person who figured out those previous 3 working ones listed above. Just need a link to his most current findings (I'm assuming Peter Smith was not the one who discovered those working versions, he just transcribed the text).

There are no compatibility testers. Eidos does not support this game anymore. We are Thief players just like you, or like you want to be. So far as I know, all modern drivers work with DDFIX.

As a matter of fact, Peter Smith did discover some drivers and went so far as to modify the INF file of one to make it work. Then he discovered an obscure Russian driver that worked. All by himself.

None of that is necessary anymore.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", the warden (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke

Oh, I wasnt trying to dis you, actually I never meant official testers either, just the same guy who discovered that 163.21 works, etc. Actually I did find such a thread elsewhere online, relating to DDFix and newer drivers that work, and someone noted the latest 190.38 drivers work with DDfix. I tested, and it now works. My old driver was 180.XX and with DDfix it was giving me nothing but a black screen after I started a new game (engaging the actual 3D), and only way to end it was a manual shutdown (hold button 4 seconds), even pressing the power button didnt force windows to shut down and quit all applications, which usually works if a game is frozen in fullscreen mode. But anyhow yes, 190.38 is teh win, and DDfix is teh win

Oh yes, as well as DarkWidescreen, i was surprised to finally see a method for making old thief games proper widescreen. They recommend using FOV of 100%, I suggest choosing 90% when patching your EXE, it looks much close to the original Thief's "zoom" level. 100% feels zoomed out. Many old games modded for widescreen (such as AVP2) looked correct with 90 FOV than 100.

Anyhow the only problem left now is the water texture still moves faster than it should.

One more note for anyone who might be having trouble running Thief on a new system. Before I attempted using any of the fix methods at the top of this thread, i tried running the Thief.exe and it crashed to desktop the moment I ran it. I have Thief Gold original CDs. Now the game should at least start up even if you haven't applied the CPU affinity fix (imagecfg), and get to the menu at least. I noticed the error message had a note "APP: lgvid.ax" so it was crashing because Indeo video codec wasnt working correctly to play the intro video.

Funny because I had already installed the codec from the Thief Gold cd (iv5play.exe). My Thief 2 CD included yet another version of the codec installer (IV5SETUP.EXE). Neither of these worked and the game still crashed on run.
    What ended up working was the Indeo Codec v5.11 installer found online (Indeo_5.11.exe). Its the only one which seems to correctly install indeo codecs for Windows XP. Im assuming Vista should work too. After this, the game started up and the videos play correctly. The interesting thing about this crash is its not related at all to the video card, and unless you click on the error report for the crash you would have no idea it was being caused by missing video codecs.

Default Running Thief on XP

I'm running XP Home Edition with Nvidia Geforce 7600gs videocard. Here's what worked for me:

1. Patch the game to version 1.33
    2. Download the texture error 1.33 nvidia 5xxx fix from http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/patches/ - Don't forget to put the dowloaded 'thieffixed.exe' into the Thief game folder!
    3. Leave compatibility mode unchecked. (None of the options worked for me).
    4. Start the game, turn off hardware acceleration in the options menu and play the game in low resolution. The graphics are awful without hardware acceleration on, but the trick is to press escape while ingame, go to Video in the menu, turn on hardware acceleration (Hardware On) and then set resolution to 1024x768. Click Done and continue the game.
    It should now be running properly with normal graphics.

The only drawback is you have to do this every time you run the game and reloading savegames may sometimes result in a crash.
    This method may not work for everyone, but I can verify that it certainly does for me.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by bjd955; 11-10-2009 at 10:52 AM.

bjd,

Those tricks with software and hardware rendering have been reported by others, but they do not always work. At one time, when adequate drivers were not available, I tried this out of desperation. I had it appear to work one time and then fail another. I ended up modifying the driver INF file instead. These tricks should not be necessary if all other steps listed in the first post are taken and recent drivers are in place. In particular, if you install DDFIX, everything should work fine and look better. DDFIX requires a pre-patched EXE that I think is available with a link at TTLG.

I'd like to know if you did everything in the list and it still failed. If so, then where did you get your Thief software?
    Last edited by Peter Smith; 11-10-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Default Runnig Thief on XP

Hi Peter,

To answer your question, yes I did try all of those steps. I scoured the internet looking for a solution until I got it to work by experimentation using the method previously stated. I have the Sold Out version of Thief Dark Project which I installed from the .exe on the disk rather than the Sold Out interface. If it further helps, the nvidia drivers I am using for my Geforce 7600 gs are old, version (6.14.10) 9424 dated 19/04/2007. This is deliberate as I mainly run older games on this computer and newer drivers cause artifacting or graphic corruption on them.
    I also have XP service pack 3 installed along with all O/S standard updates. If there is anything else you would like to know, I would be glad to help. I am now on level 6 of TDP and still playing!

I think that those old drivers are at fault, but I am surprised that DDFIX doesn't solve the problem. Have you tried that? Sold Out can also be a problem. Thief runs with new drivers and DDFIX, but that may cause problems with other games, as you say, which do not interface with DDFIX. I am afraid that you may be between a rock and a hard place. Glad you found a solution that works for you and maybe others who have the same issues.

On the other hand, there is hope for one more thing. I have some drivers that might work for you.

Around two years ago there was a period of time when Nvidia 7 series cards would not run Thief 1 at all because 6 series drivers were incompatible, and more recent drivers, at the time, caused Thief 1 to crash. That was when your software / hardware procedure became known. I modified some drivers myself by editing the INF file. That worked for a single video card, but it did not work for SLI. So then I did a search for SLI support, and I found some Russian hacked drivers, 84.56_mod2, that solved this problem for Thief 1 on 7 series cards. These drivers are further described here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1620821

The key point is that 84.56_mod2 has a modified INF file that supports all 7 series cards, as far as I know. I think it would be worthwhile for you to try these and see if they work for both Thief 1 and your other older games. It is possible, but no guarantees.

Unfortunately, the link to the driver file no longer works. I have the file on my PC, but I was unable to attach it to this message -- some Eidos server error. I have uploaded a ZIP file to Rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/30558849..._mod2.zip.html

I presume that you are familiar with how to safely revert to your older drivers if this does not work. If not, send me a PM.
    Last edited by Peter Smith; 11-11-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Hey thanks for the note about the drivers. What you say has struck a chord with me as I was experiencing many driver problems around 2 years ago shortly after I first bought the 7600 gs card.
    I was getting a lot of corruption on games like Oblivion and Half Life 2 (those and Thief series are my favourite games) and every new driver release failed to address the problem, but I always knew that the newer nvidia drivers themselves were the cause as reverting to older ones cured it. In the end I bought an up-to-date pc running Vista to play newer games. Only Thief won't run on that.
    Sometimes it is better to stick with drivers that you know to be good. I successfully downloaded the Russian drivers and I will try them and let you know how I get on. In the meantime, a thousand thanks for that!

Default Indeo_5.11.exe

Coldone or anyone - I am having this problem, do you know where I can get the exact Indeo_5.11.exe that you found? Online search has not turned up any that are downloadable and are the EXACT file you had success with.

Thanks - mb

Quote Originally Posted by Cold0ne View Post
    One more note for anyone who might be having trouble running Thief on a new system. Before I attempted using any of the fix methods at the top of this thread, i tried running the Thief.exe and it crashed to desktop the moment I ran it. I have Thief Gold original CDs. Now the game should at least start up even if you haven't applied the CPU affinity fix (imagecfg), and get to the menu at least. I noticed the error message had a note "APP: lgvid.ax" so it was crashing because Indeo video codec wasnt working correctly to play the intro video.

Funny because I had already installed the codec from the Thief Gold cd (iv5play.exe). My Thief 2 CD included yet another version of the codec installer (IV5SETUP.EXE). Neither of these worked and the game still crashed on run.
    What ended up working was the Indeo Codec v5.11 installer found online (Indeo_5.11.exe). Its the only one which seems to correctly install indeo codecs for Windows XP. Im assuming Vista should work too. After this, the game started up and the videos play correctly. The interesting thing about this crash is its not related at all to the video card, and unless you click on the error report for the crash you would have no idea it was being caused by missing video codecs.

Try here. I believe that any iv5setup should work for you.
    LarryG (aka goldsla)

Default windows 7

will these fixes work with windows 7
    I have an Nvidia grapics card.

Not being able to raid Bafford's mansion is making me very sad

I haven't tested any of them on Windows 7, or Vista for that matter. Just XP Pro. I am just one user with one computer, not a technical support department. Do a search here for Windows 7. If it does not contain the information you need, try the Legacy Gaming Technical Help forum at TTLG. Good luck, and post back with any specific steps necessary to get it to run.

Default FFDSHOW Caused problems with movies

I run XP with Service Pack 2 and my Sold Out version of Thief TDP crashed each time it tried to play a movie. The error message mentioned LGVID.AX. I Patched to 1.33 and that failed similarly. I finally found that my problem was that I use FFDSHOW and this was somehow being invoked when movies were played. I used the FFDSHOW video decoder configuration panel and in the Direct Show Control section I added thief.exe to the text box where one can list programs for "Don't use ffdshow in:". Everything works fine now.

Many many thanks to PETER SMITH. i can now play thief gold on my pc( windows xp, core 2 duo processor) nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast