Thread: Thief and Vista FIXES ONLY PLEASE

Default Thief and Vista FIXES ONLY PLEASE

Those of you who have Vista and have a fix please post them here. PLEASE! No questions, just solutions. Thanks

This is from Cemeth from TTLG. Stolen without his permission, but I hope to be forgiven.

"cemeth
    multicore CPUs and Vista

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

if you have a multi-core CPU and you're using Windows Vista (any version, x86 or x86_64), you can simply use the built-in functionality to set the CPU affinity for Dark Engine games (Thief/Thief 2/System Shock 2/...).

Just start the game like this (or modify "Target" in your shortcut):
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 thief2.exe
    to dedicate the first CPU core to the game (or "/affinity 2" for the second, and so on).

And that's it, it'll run without crashing.
    No need to use an additional tool for that, like imagecfg [...]

Originally Posted by balthazor
    Tested through most of Thief TDP Gold. Made some adjustments to the ALchemy settings (see below.)

System setup: Thief Gold 1.37, Vista 64 bit, Forceware 100.65, March X-Fi Drivers on an FX-60 equipped nForce 4 SLI X16 AMD motherboard, X-Fi sound card, Nvidia GX2 card running in non-SLI mode (100.65 FW doesn't support SLI; beta SLI drivers don't work on the 7900 series of GPUs, apparently.)

To install: set the installation program (panel.exe) to compatability mode: Windows 98/ME (right click, properties, compatibility tab), and run as administrator.

Add a line in the user.cfg file of the installed game's directory that reads 'skip_starting_checks' (without apostorophes). This allows you to run the game as a Vista application without any compatability mode. You may have to create the user.cfg file.

If you are running a multi-processing or hyperthreading machine, follow these instructions to permanently set the affinity of thief.exe to a single processor:

http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

Please note that on 64 bit OS there is no windows/system32/dllcache directory; just ignore that part of the instruction.

In the Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D settings, set Threaded Optimization to Off. Other settings are up to you. (I've actually played it with Threaded Optimization to On, but it seems to have a few more graphical glitches. It's not like running Thief requires more processor power, anyway, so I recommend it to be Off to be on the safe side.)

To get EAX working in Vista using an X-Fi card, download the Creative ALchemy files from

http://preview.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx

Follow the 'advanced users guide' to install the two ALchemy files into the Thief directory. Using these ALchemy files will allow you to turn on EAX in Vista using an X-Fi Card. Otherwise you're stuck with software non-EAX sound only.

Update: I've found that you need adjust the ALchemy dssound.ini file in order to get the X-Fi to work properly. Open the copy you made for thief and adjust the 'buffers' line so that it reads

Buffers=8

and that should work. This is based on running the game with 12 sound channels.

Finally, run Thief.exe in administrator mode (movies don't appear to work otherwise.) And that's it!

If your video stops playing, but the game plays fine, make sure you are in admin mode. If still no luck, try installing these codecs:

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=876

Have fun!

Default Windows Vista 64 bit Quad Core & SLI Graphics

Also posted at How to make Thief 2 run on a modern computer

The advice given at the above thread and at http://www.johnanthonycurran.com/gamemods.html#thief
    worked spendidly for me when re-installing T2 on a new machine (64 bit Vista with 4 processors). The only "trouble" I had was with DDFIX; I had to manually hex edit Thief.exe to get it hooked up. Not hard, once I downloaded a hex editor for Vista, but it would have been nice if the GUI installer had worked. But what a difference in the graphics with DDFIX! The hex editor that I found & liked was: Hex Editor Neo

Also of note, GarrettLoader installed and works just fine with no mods in Vista. I also like how GarrettLoader now points you to the right places to download FM scripts now. I don't remember that from before. Thanks!

The steps I followed:

1) I did a clean install from the newest copy of Thief 2 that I have from SoldOut Software. I just bought it this year at Amazon (it has both T1 and T2 on it) as a backup for my older copy (also from SoldOut). This CD claimed to be Vista Compatible. It did install with no problems, but Thief did not run cleanly and locked up.

2) My version was up to date, so no need to patch. I used imagecfg after backing up my exe. That worked well enough to let me run the program, but the graphics were horrible.

3) Since I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce 8800 cards, I was expecting great graphics. Editing USER.CFG to un-comment (remove semicolon) from the ";safe_texture_manager" line made things better, but still not great.

4) I then decided to try the Thief 2 patched exe from John Curran's site. I backed up my exe again, and switched in the moded version. It worked. Hard to tell if it fixed anything I had not already fixed. But it works fine.

5) Next, I went to Timeslip's DDFIX webpage and picked up the GUI version. I read the readme file included in the zip file (I used 7-zip to expand the .7z file, though I suppose WinRar should work also). Unfortunately, the GUI did not work. Either it is not Vista compatible or not multi-core compatible or something else. In any event I then followed the Manual installation instructions and had no further problems. This is what my DDFIX.ini looks like after my edits:

[Main]
    ;Screen resolution
    ;Must be 800x600 or greater
    gWidth=1024
    gHeight=768

;Refresh rate. 0 is default, anything else to override.
    RefreshRate=0

;Set to 1 to fix the duel core related crash
    MultiCoreFix=1

;Set to 1 to automatically register lgvid.ax each time thief is started up
    VideoFix=0

;This can be set to zero to get a more accurate z-buffer
    ;Doesn't usually make a noticable difference to picture quality
    UseCompatibleZBuffer=0

;Turns on the 32 bit texture loader and adds support for some unsupported screen resolutions
    ;Will cause a crash if used with an unsupported exe
    ; 0 - Disable
    ; 1 - Determine exe automatically
    ; 2 - Thief 2 v1.18
    Thief2Extensions=1

;Set to 1 to disable the windows keys while thief is running
    DisableWindowsKey=0

;Set to 1 to enable anisotropic filtering
    AnisotropicFiltering=0

;If you want to share overriden textures between thief installations, uncomment the next line
    ;It should contain the absolute path to the equivilent of \res\ddfix, including the trailing \
    ;TexturePath=C:\Games\Thief2\res\ddfix\

;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    ;XX Compatibility settings XX
    ;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

;Changes the way direct writes to the frontbuffer are handled
    ;SS2 players should set these options to '2' and '0xf81f' respectively
    ;Thief 2 players with corrupted in game text should use '2' and '0x0000'
    ;Players who experience slowdown with UseSysMemOverlay=2 should set both options to 0
    UseSysMemOverlay=2
    OverlayColourKey=0xf81f

I then edited cam.cfg to have the same screen resolution as DDFIX.ini. With all this done, my graphics were looking good, but no movies!

6) Finally I installed the updated Indeo codec (version 5.11). The weekend I did all this, both ttlg and Thief-thecircle were down. so I googled it, found the updated codec and installed it. To tell the truth, I don't recall which site I used to download it from. There are several. The one I chose claimed to be certified virus free, and seemed to be telling the truth.

That's it. Now all I need to do is pick up the enhanced texture pack I remember being released earlier this year or late last.

I could not have done it without the great advice by Peter Smith and John Anthony Curran. Thanks!
    Last edited by goldsla; 07-14-2008 at 04:54 AM.

Many thanks goldsla. It's people like you who keep the thief community at large, and this great game, alive.

Thanks again.

Additionally its best to install DarkLoader, GarrettLoader, Thief1/Gold/2/3 (and System Shock 2 if you use if Via GL or DL) into "C:\Games" rather than "C:\Program Files" (DarkLoaders Installer does already but GarrettLoaders does not yet).
    The reason being is due to Vistas Application Virtualization. This means that when you install an FM to your Thief 2 game path (say C:\Program Files\Thief2), you don't actually install it there, Vista shifts all the files to "c:\users\username\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\thief2" this causes problems when MP3/OGG files are converted or some other processes occur. So as a general rule if you are going to play Fan Missions, don't install the games to C:\program Files. (or D:\program Files, E:\program Files, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by potterr View Post
    Additionally its best to install DarkLoader, GarrettLoader, Thief1/Gold/2/3 (and System Shock 2 if you use if Via GL or DL) into "C:\Games" rather than "C:\Program Files" (DarkLoaders Installer does already but GarrettLoaders does not yet).
    I don't know what to say about this. I installed everything to a different drive, and still had the problem with GarrettLoader not being able to translate ogg files until I set the properties for the GL shortcut to run as Administrator (right-click on the shortcut link, select Properties, Select the Shortcut tab (if not selected already), select the Advanced button, select the Run as Administrator checkbox). [That tip also came from potterr, who is busily updating GL for Vista, multi-core, dual monitor, etc.]

Quote Originally Posted by goldsla View Post
    I don't know what to say about this. I installed everything to a different drive, and still had the problem with GarrettLoader not being able to translate ogg files until I set the properties for the GL shortcut to run as Administrator (right-click on the shortcut link, select Properties, Select the Shortcut tab (if not selected already), select the Advanced button, select the Run as Administrator checkbox). [That tip also came from potterr, who is busily updating GL for Vista, multi-core, dual monitor, etc.]
    Interesting, I haven't had problems with the MP3s after installing to c:\games\thief2 and c:\games\GarrettLoader. I had problems with it before when it was installed to c:\program Files though. I will investigate it further as I have Virtual Machine of Vista now as well which I will use as my sacrificial lamb (so to speak).

Default Complete solution of how I got Thief Gold to run on Vista Ultimate x64 (64-bit)

If you're struggling with getting Thief Gold to run on your machine that has Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64-bit OS), than this post is for you. This would probably be fine for other versions of Vista as well. Here are my PC specs:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ (2.91 GHz)
    GeForce 8800 GTS SSC edition video card
    800W (850max) KINGWIN power supply
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800 RAM
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (with SP1)

First things first, make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard and video card installed. Most likely nvidia.com or ati.com. That way, you can rule out the possibility of faulty drivers screwing things up.

1. Install the game. If you are unable to install due to an error about DirectX, simply go to Start, then Run, then type d:\setup.exe -lgntforce (where d:\ is your CDrom/DVDrom drive.) Note: that's -lgntforce, lowercase "L". If you're unsure, copy and paste it from here. Hit enter. Thief Gold should now begin to install.
    Here's the technical explanation of the cause of the error:
    "This problem arises because Win2K, WinXP, and Vista are based on the NT kernel, which had DirectX support which was flaky at best. Thief needs DirectX to run, so, when the installer sees the NT kernel, it assumes that the game isn't going to be able to run and quits the installation. The -lgntforce switch tells the installer to ignore the NT kernel and install anyway."

2. Fix the error in which the game will only show a black screen (you may get an error in which it says that the Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage). Simply go to the following link, download the file, extract it, and put it in your main ThiefG folder.
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=727

Should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\ThiefG\. If you have the 32-bit Vista OS, it should look like this: C:\Program Files\ThiefG\. This file is going to replace your Thief executable. Use this new file to start the game. It's a good idea to create a shortcut on your desktop to this.
    Error in which you only get a black screen or Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage. Please Note: If you are using an nVidia card with drivers in the 9x.xx range then this fix will not work. At present the only solution is to downgrade your drivers to versions in the 8x.xx range or below. An error message that pops up when starting a level in Thief and Thief 2. You may not get an error message, you may see only a black screen. It primarily occurs on Nvidia Graphics cards running driver versions 5x.xx and above although there are several reports of it occuring on ATI 9xxx cards using new drivers.

3. Fix the issue that Thief Gold has when trying to run on multiple processors (make sure you do this step AFTER step 2). If you have a dual-core, tripple-core, quad-core, or any type of multi-core processor, you must first download the following zip file:
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guide...g/imagecfg.zip
    Unzip it and put the IMAGECFG file in your C:\WINDOWS\System32\ folder.
    Copy the following three lines of text:

imagecfg -u thieffixedg.exe
    imagecfg -a 0x1 thieffixedg.exe
    pause

Open up Notepad and paste these three lines of text into it. Save the file as "processor.bat" (with quotes) in your main ThiefG folder (this is the same folder that you put the thieffixedg.exe file into). Once saved, go to it and double click on it.
    That's all there is to it.
    Game freezes within a minute / Running Thief on a Dual-Processor/Dual Core System or Got a Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading? When activated, Intel's Hyperthreading makes it appear that you have two CPUs. Pentium 4 D and Athlon 64 X2 processors have 2 cores on one chip - they are dual processors. Make sure that Thief is set to only use 1 processor with High, or Realtime priority. Dark Engine games don't like dual processor systems unless they are configured in this way.

4. One more issue remains. The videos won't play. I went to Start, Run, and copy-and-pasted the following into there and hit enter:
    Type regsvr32 "c:\your\path\to\thief\LGVID.AX"
    (where c:\your\path\to\thief\ matches your own path)
    Before doing that, the game would run, but it would simply skip the movies! We can't have that, now can we? So AFTER registering that .ax file as indicated above, I tried to start the first level and the game crashed. I then discovered that I need certain Indeo video codecs installed. So.. go to the following link:
    Download and run the "iv5setup" setup application. Select custom and DESELECT the web browser plugin at the very bottom.
    This will eliminate the problem that arises when the setup tries to search for Netscape.. and we all know that Netscape is inferior to Internet Explorer and Firefox so we don't care about it. If you do not follow this step, the setup will freeze while trying to search for netscape. So after deselecting that last option for the plugin, continue the installation and it should install within a second or two.

Now you're all done and Thief Gold should run correctly on your beefy Vista x64 machine. If for some reason you finish a mission and the video for the next mission doesn't play, just go to the movies folder within your main ThiefG folder and watch it from there. I've noticed that most of the time the in-game movie will play, but sometimes it won't. Hope this has been helpful. I did all 4 steps and it worked great for me. Here are some links I found that helped me figure this all out:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=75031
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guides/hyperthreading/
    Last edited by SDFprowler; 08-10-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Info from Malevolent

Here's what I did to get Thief - Deadly Shadows working correctly in Vista:

Hit Windows Symbol + R on keyboard to bring up the run dialog

type in: regedit

hit control + F to perform a search

search for: Ion Storm

expand the Thief - Deadly Shadows folder, right click SaveGamePath, and select Modify... option

select a location ( I created a folder in \users\<my account>\Saved Games )

game was released well before Vista, obviously, so the default save game path was pointing to a location you didn't have write access to, which was causing the problem

problem should be solved - was for me

Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post
    Info from Malevolent

Here's what I did to get Thief - Deadly Shadows working correctly in Vista:

Hit Windows Symbol + R on keyboard to bring up the run dialog

type in: regedit

hit control + F to perform a search

search for: Ion Storm

expand the Thief - Deadly Shadows folder, right click SaveGamePath, and select Modify... option

select a location ( I created a folder in \users\<my account>\Saved Games )

game was released well before Vista, obviously, so the default save game path was pointing to a location you didn't have write access to, which was causing the problem

problem should be solved - was for me
    I tried that and I got an "error while writing new values" or something to that effect. :S
    Last edited by Sparker; 06-30-2009 at 07:11 AM.

I'm using an original copy of Thief TDP, v1.33. I've tried all the fixes listed on this thread, and have had no success getting it to run properly. I'm using Windows Vista 64-bit. Nvidia 280GTX, Intel quad-core processor. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Default I have the biggest problem, no one can solve it!!!! OR CAN YOU???

I cannot run setup.now, I installed thief3 but I cannot still run it, i installed thief 3 using autorun. I dont understand, I have flash player 10 but whenever I load it, it says that my version is old (version 6) and has 3 options - autofix, help and cancel. Autofix doesnt help.
    I tried running every application in the thief 3 disk and nothing does it. any ideas. I cannot run thief 3 for this very matter and i believe this is why, its tha flash player darn it!!!

My system is Vista, had AMD Athlon processor (not multi-core) with 1gb RAM, max 32bit resolution, ATI Radeon graphics card (forgot the next part) and 120gb hard disk, its Vista basic. Laptop.

Please also help me out from these (they're the same but more informative):
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...=thief+autorun
    and also:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...ight=setup.now

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

One Graphic fix from BIKERDUDE:

• Rename LGVID.AX to LGVID.OLD
    • Download and installed the indeo 5 codec - here (Ive uploaded my copy, Pav please mirror on the circle)
    • Click start, then run and type the following " regsvr32 ir50_32.dll "
    • Rename LGVID.OLD back to LGVID.AX
    • Go play thief....

Hi all,
    Wondering if you can help me...just installed Thief Gold onto my laptop (with vista,) and for some reason, my money doesn't seem to be transferring between missions. I can have a lot left over, and when I start a new mission, it's gone.
    Have tried everything I can think of to fix it, figured I'd just find an 'add cash' cheat to replace the money I should have and don't - thing is, I can't find the dark.cfg file (supposedly in the Thief Directory) you're supposed to edit.
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by SimbaDada View Post
    Hi all,
    Wondering if you can help me...just installed Thief Gold onto my laptop (with vista,) and for some reason, my money doesn't seem to be transferring between missions. I can have a lot left over, and when I start a new mission, it's gone.
    Have tried everything I can think of to fix it, figured I'd just find an 'add cash' cheat to replace the money I should have and don't - thing is, I can't find the dark.cfg file (supposedly in the Thief Directory) you're supposed to edit.
    Thanks in advance!

Do you mean that you start a mission with ZERO loot? Or that you spend some on the load out and hope it is in your loot as you play?

If it is number 2. There is NO LOOT CARRY OVER. You end a mission with what you collected, and start the next mission with that amount. If you don't spend it all you lose whatever you did not spend.

The game is not about collecting a massive pile of cash to have when you end the game.

No, I mean the former, not the latter. The loot just seems to be disappearing, I played the original T1 and never encountered a problem like this, same for T2 & 3, it's really odd. Like I said, I've been trying to figure out how to fix it for weeks, and I've pretty much given up, thought the cheat would be the only way around it.
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi.

Hi Thank you for your help ,but can you tell me how to get to where ever it is to do this? I'm not use to adding to a game. I copy and pasted what I needed to get the game installed. Thank You Again

Default Got First 2 Thiefs to run on 64-Bit Vista!

Hello everyone,

I got Thief TDP, and Thief II to run on my 64-bit Vista pc. Basically to override the compatibility issue with installing the games, I changed the "Panel.exe" or the "Autorun.exe" file to run in Windows 89/Me compatibility mode. Then when I went to play it, everything ran fine until I went to actually play the first mission. The screen went black, and locked up. I then had to change the compatibility mode to Windows 2000, and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Also, if you have a multi-core processor, thief won't work correctly on that either. You have to

1) Start Thief up to the opening Menu,
    2) Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Task Manager
    3) Go into the "Processes" Tab
    4) Find the thief.exe process, right click on it, and select "Set affinity" ( if you get an error message that says "access denied", click on the tab at the bottom of the task manager that says "Show processes from all users" then find the thief.exe process, right click and hit set affinity. That should work. You will want to uncheck all boxes except one.

That's it! Hopefully it's as simple as that to get these awesome games working on newer computers.

Here is my pc data:

Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    4 GB ram
    ATI Radeon 3200 HD graphics card
    AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-70 2.00 GHz

It's better to find a permanent way to set affinity. Search here for "affinity" and/or try this.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", the warden (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke

Default Movies were running fine...

I started running Thief.exe as an administrator and the movies started running fine. Now I return to Thief running as an administrator and the movies suddenly won't play. I tried installing the codecs, but the movies still won't play. Can anyone help me with this?

I actually uninstalled and reinstalled my game and now it appears to working fine. I will post again on the board if further problems develop.

The game is constantly locking up. I do not know what is wrong. Could anyone help me?

I did EVERYTHING that SDFProwler recommended and the game stilll locks up in a black screen.

anyone know how to fix Direct3D Texture Error for Thief 2??
    Here is the fix for thief 1
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=727

but what about 2? Any ideas?