Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: www.tombraider.com

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    67

    Default www.tombraider.com

    It has been a long time since i visited the "main" site but now i remember why i stopped visiting it: The site looks like they are somehow denying the past or something or how do you guys explain that on the front page, the games are:
    Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Anniversary, and now on the header banner Tomb Raider Underworld and all the actually GOOD games are just The History of Tomb Raider!!!

    What kind of BS is that?
    Ok, i could understand this if the front page would have Anniversary and the second future game, but because it also has Legend on the front page and the rest of the games are just history, it makes it look like they are denying their past and only the Crystal Dynamics games are now good enough to show on the front page.

    This is the reason i stopped visiting that site cause it seems really unfair. Can someone give me a good explanation to this?
    I dont belive anything if i don't see it first.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Avalon ICU
    Posts
    1,440

  3. #3

    Default

    Greetings, fellow Finn.

    This is the way it goes in the gaming industry. When sequels and continuations take over, a domain will always showcase the newer games. Case in point, you won't see Call of Duty 1 on Infinity Ward's homepage.

    In Tomb Raider's case, Crystal Dynamics has done nothing wrong. The Pre-Legend games ARE history. The games were made by Core, not CD. Why would CD advertise Core on their very own server? Wouldn't make sense to me.

    In my opinion, the games are getting bigger and better as we go along. It's perfectly alright to remember the past, but there's no need to dwell on it. CD has no intention of passing off the original Tomb Raiders as old rubbish. They're as passionate about Lara as Core was and as long as that passion continues to burn strong, we'll have one damn good Tomb Raider after another. CD's looking to go 3 for 3 you know

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by linden View Post
    It has been a long time since i visited the "main" site but now i remember why i stopped visiting it: The site looks like they are somehow denying the past or something or how do you guys explain that on the front page, the games are:
    Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Anniversary, and now on the header banner Tomb Raider Underworld and all the actually GOOD games are just The History of Tomb Raider!!!

    What kind of BS is that?
    Ok, i could understand this if the front page would have Anniversary and the second future game, but because it also has Legend on the front page and the rest of the games are just history, it makes it look like they are denying their past and only the Crystal Dynamics games are now good enough to show on the front page.

    This is the reason i stopped visiting that site cause it seems really unfair. Can someone give me a good explanation to this?

    Well that is a bit, a bit of shame, cuz I rmbr b4 wen I used tovisit in late 90s I rmbr seeing other older TR games but wotever,I guess those are old and want to focus on the future....
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...rugrlnsig3.jpg
    ^Click to visit the home of the Tomb Raider: Fan Magazine
    Exclusively from RUGRLN

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mazda View Post
    Greetings, fellow Finn.

    This is the way it goes in the gaming industry. When sequels and continuations take over, a domain will always showcase the newer games. Case in point, you won't see Call of Duty 1 on Infinity Ward's homepage.
    Greetings, fellow Cann (if there is a such shorten)

    I think its just because the last Core Design game was AoD, which was ... IS a shame game to Eidos, and they do everything that people wouldnt remember that game.

    Its like UbiSoft dont show their shame game Prince of Persia 3D on their front page.

    In Tomb Raider's case, Crystal Dynamics has done nothing wrong. The Pre-Legend games ARE history. The games were made by Core, not CD. Why would CD advertise Core on their very own server? Wouldn't make sense to me.
    Well, firstly, i dont think Crystal Dynamics is responsiple on the web site. Why would they? They make games, not websites. It's Eidos who does the marketing and websites are part of marketing. ... or do you see it from somewhere that it says "Crystal Dynamics server"? I doubt that.
    Secondly, all games that are already released are history. If some of them are present, its TR Anniversary, and the TR Underworld is future. ... but anyway, Legend is history, just like all the other TR games before that are.
    And well, no matter how much they advertise Legend on their site, it has been on SALE shelves for longh time already. So ... to the game buyers, Legen IS history already, just like Aod, or TR5 or any other previous games are.


    Oh BTW, here's the info on tombraider.com domain, (no Crystal Dynamics anywhere):

    Registrant:
    Eidos Interactive, Inc.
    Eidos Interactive Inc.
    651 Brannan St. Suite 400
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    US
    hostmaster@eidos.com
    +1.4155471200 Fax: +1.4155471201

    Domain Name: TOMBRAIDER.COM
    Registrar of Record: Corporate Domains, Inc.

    Administrative Contact:
    Eidos Interactive, Inc.
    Eidos Interactive Inc.
    651 Brannan St. Suite 400
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    US
    hostmaster@eidos.com
    +1.4155471200 Fax: +1.4155471201
    Technical Contact:
    Corporation Service Company
    Domain Registrar
    PO Box 597
    Yarmouth, NS B5A 4B4
    CA
    admin@internationaladmin.com
    +1.9027492792 Fax: +1.4137238334

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RUGRLN View Post
    Well that is a bit, a bit of shame, cuz I rmbr b4 wen I used tovisit in late 90s I rmbr seeing other older TR games but wotever,I guess those are old and want to focus on the future....
    Yeah, i also visited the site a lot but after it started to be old news everytime i visited, i kind of forgot about the site.

    But well, they dont just focus on the future, they focus on the Crystal Dynamics games only, and THATS what annoys me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    4,066

    Cool

    Tombraider.com advertises the most recent and current games. So Legend is there and then Anniversary. Eidos obviously felt that it was best to keep it as just two games in the spotlight. With the development of TR Underworld, it would make sense for Legend to take a backseat. Except for one thing. The Legend section is a link to the Legend site as is that of Anniversary. TRU hasn't got a website yet - so no link is available. Perhaps when there is one, tombraider.com will be updated.

    You may also have noticed that the History section is still and eternally [it seems] 'Coming Soon'. With a bit of luck, when/if that section ever becomes 'Open', you [and the rest of us players] will get y/our wish and all games will be on view to admire. I don't know what is planned, pictures, write ups, that sort of thing?

    We just have to be patient and trust Eidos to update the site accordingly as & when the info is available.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    I wish they opened that history of Tomb Raider section soon.
    So its not even open yet? I only took a look at the site's layout for my work purpose and noticed it was the same old "history" link on it, but now when you said it, i remember it has been on "coming soon" for god knows how long.

    Believe me guys, i have done this for living and these "coming soon" pages ... if they dont "come" in a few weeks or months after the site is released first time, they dont come at all.
    One of my clients has two main pages on his website that have been on "coming soon" state for erm .... a year now. He said he needs these two pages and says he will come up with stuff to them later. He never did and now i am already building a completely new site for him already.

    So, what did we learn? Eidos is not even working on those "history" pages, cause they would already be there by now, i mean soon they have to have a complete new site for the next game and their old, present main site still has "coming soon" pages. ... yeah right.


    Oh but Aurimas ... i remember you from somewhere.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rai004 View Post

    You may also have noticed that the History section is still and eternally [it seems] 'Coming Soon'. With a bit of luck, when/if that section ever becomes 'Open', you [and the rest of us players] will get y/our wish and all games will be on view to admire. I don't know what is planned, pictures, write ups, that sort of thing?

    We just have to be patient and trust Eidos to update the site accordingly as & when the info is available.
    Like i said there already. This just makes my statement even more true.

    Someone is just lazy there ... i mean hey, the old games have all the material in copy/paste phase. They could just copy the old stuff but no.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Well, I think its incorrect to jump to a conspiracy of CD trying to ignore the existence of the Core-developed games. I would point out that the Elder Scrolls site has on its games section from Morrowind on, with no visible area for Arena or Daggerfall. And, its worth noting, if you weren't aware that Bethesda were the developers for all TES games. They've a section "10th anniversary" with a small bit on both games, but they aren't exactly doing much to advertise the older games.

    Link.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    And you know, if you go the Anniversary site, you find some fine piccies of Lara from her early beginnings.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pushtrak View Post
    Well, I think its incorrect to jump to a conspiracy of CD trying to ignore the existence of the Core-developed games. I would point out that the Elder Scrolls site has on its games section from Morrowind on, with no visible area for Arena or Daggerfall. And, its worth noting, if you weren't aware that Bethesda were the developers for all TES games. They've a section "10th anniversary" with a small bit on both games, but they aren't exactly doing much to advertise the older games.

    Link.
    Erm ... no-one was saying anything about conspiracy of CD .

    Sorry but I cant say anything about the Elder Scrolls, cause i cant even tell what names the games have. I only heard about the Oblivion.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by linden View Post
    Erm ... no-one was saying anything about conspiracy of CD .
    You kinda gave that impression. Besides, I felt the need to say so in case there were others who got that reading.
    Sorry but I cant say anything about the Elder Scrolls, cause i cant even tell what names the games have. I only heard about the Oblivion.
    So, if you were to think you'd like to find out more about previous TES games, what with Oblivion being IV, you'd find information on III easily, but not an awful lot on I or II. Much like here, with Tomb Raider.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pushtrak View Post
    You kinda gave that impression. Besides, I felt the need to say so in case there were others who got that reading.
    Oh, ok. I was only talking about the website, and like i said, im sure Crystal Dynamics is not reponsible on it.

    So, if you were to think you'd like to find out more about previous TES games, what with Oblivion being IV, you'd find information on III easily, but not an awful lot on I or II. Much like here, with Tomb Raider.
    Maybe yes. I find it unfair and stupid even, cause if you compare it with bands making albums ... you could find the info of their 3 latets albums from their site but the albums before those; no.
    An example, a famous Finnish band HIM:
    http://www.heartagram.com/media
    All their albums are there, and not just a pic, but lyrics of every song and other stuff. So they are not "un-marketing" their old stuff, like someone does.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartoli's hideout
    Posts
    2,535

    Thumbs down This is what I bring to this thread, my opinion.

    This is ultimately the reason why I neither visit the site, and I am glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

    http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com ftw.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
    This is ultimately the reason why I neither visit the site, and I am glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

    http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com ftw.
    Exactly. Even tombraiderchronicles is better than the official site even tho they have the same three games too on their main "frame", all the games are on front page for everyone to browse on the right side frame. Thatsthe way to do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •