View Poll Results: What is your favorite Eidos game series?

Voters
1295. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tomb Raider

289 22.32%
  • Hitman

65 5.02%
  • Deus Ex

342 26.41%
  • Thief

258 19.92%
  • Legacy of Kain

323 24.94%
  • Commandos

18 1.39%
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Eidos game series?

Thumbs up

People are still making fan missions and mods for these games nearly 10 years after the original release.

The atmosphere, voices and art from the first two installments still whip anything else I've ever played. I'm not a fan of cut scenes or intro movies...except for Thief. They were that good.

Terry Pratchett loves Thief. So do I.

Smile

Ok, the former title of this thread had a couple of people confused. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The correct title for this poll is not What's Eidos' best game series? but What is your favorite Eidos game series?

Question Uhm... what?

Doesn't asking people to vote for the series they think is "the best" already imply that they should vote for their "favorite"? How is that confusing?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Doesn't asking people to vote for the series they think is "the best" already imply that they should vote for their "favorite"? How is that confusing?
    One would think that, yes. But some folks started arguing about which one is better than others. And we had some rudeness to clean up already.

Talking

And just for the record...

Thief!

I remember playing Thief...
    Like, ages and ages and ages ago.

I think I did anyway. Is that the game where you creep about really slowly? Bad description, I know, but that and the name is all I remember of it.
    "I'm up for a little heresy"

Quote Originally Posted by NewHorizon View Post
    Thief has always been one of the most 'commercially' misunderstood series in existence. I honestly don't think the corporate minds know how to market it, and as evidenced by Thief Deadly Shadows...they think changing to be more...'normal' will improve sales. Wrong.

Take the first two games...embrace what they achieved, and run with it. Don't try to make the game more actiony, or 'dangerous'...just let it run with what it is...a sneaker. Then get some brilliant people to figure out how to market it as a sneaking game, and not try to mis-lead the public into buying it by pretending their is more action to it than there really is.

While the publisher did try to "mainstreamize" Thief with Deadly Shadows, it doesn't seem to me that they tried to make it more "actiony". TDS is still about "creeping around really slowly", so they must have realised what the point of a "sneaker" is. I guess it wasn't really a compromise on their part, given the popularity of the Splinter Cell series (in other words: they didin't need to worry, that by making a game about creeping around really slowly they would deprive themselves of the precious income).

I think they tried to make Thief more accessible by reducing perceived difficulty. For instance, loot hunt is difficult, so they added loot glint. Aiming a ballistic trajectory weapon is difficult, so they added arrow traces. Noise management is something players are totally not used to, therefore it's difficult - so they reduced complexity of the sound propagation system. On a similar note: some people find it hard not to hit someone with a broadhead arrow or a sword, when they have the opportunity, so some restrictions where removed from mission goals.

They also cut a few features because they couldn't make the engine support them, but that's another story.

The huge error in this kind of thinking is the assumption, that people are only going to have fun doing what they already know. Of course, there is some merit to that notion, because many people need to get used to a concept before they start to like it. So if they stop playing before they overcome the initial confusion, they become unhappy customers.

But this is just part of the truth, and I think publishers should know better than that, just as Nintendo has recently. Both Wii and NDS are something different from what people are used to, and they are both huge successes. It is risky to try out something new, but the solution is not to avoid risk, but to tackle it professionally. For instance, there is little that cannot be explained in an interesting, comprehensive way with a good tutorial. Players don't like tutorials because they are not done properly, and not because they are inherently "bad".

The whole concept of "fun" is relative. For example, a big invention of the Ultima series in early 1980s was allowing the player to commit acts of evil, even though the game was about becoming a hero by acting nobly. You could say allowing player to do something counterproductive to their goal is... well, counterproductive. Wrong! Allowing player to do the bad stuff actually gave their good choices a meaning. In the result, acting like a true hero was more fun. Same thing with Thief: people who play it find pleasure in not killing anyone even though they can, in not stealing from the poor, even though they can, and so on (of course, some people prefer to take every single goldpiece, even from a despairing widow). On the other hand, they enjoy playing against the odds, whereas most action games give the player advantage of superior firepower, armor and health. Thief fans actually want to stand little chance when swordfighting. They want to have a hard time aiming a bow, because it turns aiming into a skill. To many of them, few things are more pleasant than being aware, that once they couldn't hit their own feet, and now they can headshoot a guard from one hundred yards.

Deadly Shadows did have a few nice ideas. I would think twice before discarding the new lockpicking mechanic or the concept of wandering around the City freely (that is: without having any formal goals declared). Also, there were a few issues in previous parts that could be taken care of. For example, for most people loot hunt is fun only as long as it's optional. So I'm not against looking for new features or modifying the old ones. Just keep the fun where the fun is.
    Last edited by Zill; 01-11-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Thief! Definitely my alltime favourite!

Tomb Raider all the way. Perfect game!
    Makes you use your brain and you have action also. Perfect game!

Funny how the last thread didn't need to be re-named.

Oh yeah @ Umah......DL some FM's...mine are not a bad place to start! :grin:

Hard one. I've played the Hitman, Deus Ex and Thief series a lot, and enjoyed them all immensely.

However, Thief wins for me cause there aren't really any weak games in the series to me. Sure, Deadly Shadows is weaker than the first two games, but it's still a very good game. Not to mention that the fan community of the series are still making content for the series, and T2X is the best fanmade campaign I ever seen.

This while I feel that Deus Ex: Invisible War (too different from the brilliant Deus Ex with bad inventory, small uninteresting levels, weaker story and so on) and Hitman 2 (too many boring "military" levels which I really dislike; give me hotels, resturants and other public areas with civilians) takes their respective series down.

But gah, when I bought Deus Ex back in august 2000 I played thru it 3 times without even looking at another game. Never happened before or since then and I guess that should count for something.

Same goes for those utterly brilliant levels in the Hitman series that I probably played 100+ times over the years, such as the hotel level in the first game.

Hard choice indeed.

As for the other series, I got the first Tomb Raider (and actually bought Legend cheap just a few days ago on a whim), first Legacy of Kain and first Commando, but none of those games really grabbed me much. Well, Legacy of Kain was interesting but had some noticeable flaws (lots of talk but no subtitles? Ugh!) that made me stop playing it. Tomb Raider is kinda strange too, cause I remember playing the Tomb Raider demo for DOS back in 1996 or 1997 and enjoying it greatly, but when I bought the full game I didn't get into it.

If it was about the actual games, and not series, I would probably have gone for the first Deus Ex, and not Thief.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Funny how the last thread didn't need to be re-named.

Oh yeah @ Umah......DL some FM's...mine are not a bad place to start! :grin:
    I have the XBox version, of DS SlyFoxx. I've considered getting the PC version just to try the FM's. Unfortunately, my laptop died so I had to get a new one with the dreaded Vista OS **shutters**. What's the compatibility of the FM's with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Umah Bloodomen View Post
    I have the XBox version, of DS SlyFoxx. I've considered getting the PC version just to try the FM's. Unfortunately, my laptop died so I had to get a new one with the dreaded Vista OS **shutters**. What's the compatibility of the FM's with it?
    All of Sly's FMs are for T2, not DS. There aren't many FMs for DS because the editor is so difficult to use. But there are nearly 700 FMs for T1/G and T2 (including 13 by me and about 8 by Sly), though, so you'll definitely get your money's worth if you find copies of them. They both run in Vista, although it can be tricky, especially if you have a newer graphics card with recent drivers, but most people are able to get T2 running on modern systems. If you decide to take the plunge with the first two games, be sure to check out the technical/troubleshooting FAQs over at TTLG.

If anyone thinks the graphics in the first two games are dated, you haven't seen some of the more recent FMs.
    For example, check out these shots from SlipTip's upcoming mission, "The First Project":

Yes, that's the 8-year-old Dark engine, not Deadly Shadows.

The missions for T2 are just fantastic. Will takes an age to Play them all
    I got T2 to play with Vista with few tweaks.
    The graphics for Slip tips mission looks amazing.
    All Yandros's missions an Sly fox's are awesome. Thief fan base is still huge with missions like these not surprising.

Check this by Yandros on a theme of Tombraider. Amazing

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    All of Sly's FMs are for T2, not DS. There aren't many FMs for DS because the editor is so difficult to use. But there are nearly 700 FMs for T1/G and T2 (including 13 by me and about 8 by Sly), though, so you'll definitely get your money's worth if you find copies of them. They both run in Vista, although it can be tricky, especially if you have a newer graphics card with recent drivers, but most people are able to get T2 running on modern systems. If you decide to take the plunge with the first two games, be sure to check out the technical/troubleshooting FAQs over at TTLG.
    I will keep that in mind. I have T1 and T2 as well, I just haven't played them in awhile. I do have a newer graphics card (I think it's a NVIDIA). When I get some time freed up, I'll check into running the FM's a bit more.

Thanks, Gillie! But just to be fair, unlike Slip's amazing work, that's not a screenshot, that's the main menu graphic. But I am a fan of both franchises, and got TR Anniversary on 360 for Xmas, but haven't taken the time to start it yet. But if I have to choose a fave between the two, Thief wins by a mile.

Here are some screenshots from Mask, which uses actual Tomb Raider I textures:

Now, enough self-promoting thread hijacking.
    Death's Cold Embrace: A Thief 2 campaign due in 2012 eventually

It was an error there.
    It was to show how wonderful the idea was for the two to Gel together as well. A very ingenious idea I think.
    I vote Thief,always will be all time favourite of mine.
    I mean to play more Tomb raider soon. I have only got as far as Three.
    I must get Anniversary too.
    Nice screen shots. I must play that one again.
    Variety is the spice of life.

Tomb Raider

Default Blod O Men 2

Blod O Men 2 4 Ever When Will Bom 3 Will Be Made?

When Wil Blod O Man 3 Will Be Made?????

Welcome to the forums Quzma and you must mean Blood Omen , so far the series is on hold. But if you would like you can discuss more on the subject in the Legacy of Kain forums.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    Last edited by dragonfly2; 01-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Thumbs up

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Arrow

Tomb Raider Lara will kick the ass

Really? Just one?

Well, while she's occupied with a single one, Kain will be owning all

Ah, just needed to be said...

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast