Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Tomb Raider 1 Running on Windows Vista! (32-bit version only)

Exclamation Get Tomb Raider 1 Running on Windows Vista! (32-bit version only)

I have written this guide for the people out there who have just upgraded to Windows Vista, and find they cannot play Tomb Raider I. You may be suprsied to know that installing TR1 on Vista is actually easier than it is on Windows XP. Here's how to do it!

Please note: At time of writing, this process only works for 32-bit versions of Windows Vista. However, VDos32 hopes to expand to 64-bit versions of Windows Vista in the near future. To check your version of Vista, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and select the 'Control Panel'. In the Control Panel, select 'classic view' to the left of the window. Then, find the icon called 'System' and double click on it. Find the sub-heading called 'System type'. Written there will either be '32-bit Operating System' or '64-bit Operating System'.

Both methods require a CD of Tomb Raider 1

Without Glidos:

1) Uninstall TR1 from your hardrive if it is currently installed.
    2) Go to http://www.vdos32.com/.
    3) Scroll down and find: Tomb Raider I preconfigured for use with VDos32 (Software rendering).
    4) Follow the link and download the program. Run the program to install Tomb Raider I preconfigured for use with VDos32 (Software rendering).
    5) Go back to http://www.vdos32.com/.
    6) Download the latest version of VDos32.
    7) Open VDos32 and click the Unlock button.
    8) Unlock VDos32 and return to the main screen.
    9) Select Load Program and find TOMB.EXE in C:/TOMBRAID (by default).
    10) Tomb Raider 1 will run!!

With Glidos - a program unlocking TR1's graphical potential, available for $10:

1) Uninstall TR1 from your hardrive if it is currently installed.
    2) Go to http://www.vdos32.com/.
    3) Scroll down and find: Tomb Raider I preconfigured for use with VDos32 (Glide rendering) - requires Glidos.
    4) Follow the link and download the program. Run the program to install Tomb Raider I preconfigured for use with VDos32 (Glide rendering) - requires Glidos.
    5) Go back to http://www.vdos32.com/.
    6) Download the latest version of VDos32.
    7) Go to http://www.glidos.net/.
    8) Download and install the lastest version of Glidos.
    9) Open VDos32 and click the 'Unlock' button.
    10) Unlock VDos32 and close the program.
    11) Move the VDos32 executable to C:/Programs Files/Glidos (by default).
    12) Open up Glidos and make sure that 'Tomb Raider' is selected from the drop-down list of games.
    13) Click the 'Adjust' button and find the tab named 'DOS'. Select 'Use VDos32'.
    14) Take this oppurtunity to configure any additional settings for the game in the 'Adjust' dialog box.
    15) Click 'Start Game'.
    16) Tomb Raider 1 will run!!

This guide is meant for your private use only. Permission to pass on this document to other websites can be sought via PM (private message).

Comments are much appreciated.

Last update: 20/02/09 - I have removed instructions for JoyToKey, since I will soon be posting instructions for a program called Xpadder, recommended to me by burt_ie.
    Last edited by Dukem; 02-20-2009 at 12:53 PM.

hey dukem can i ask you a question. i might sound dumb but can i ask which version is better to use, the one with or without glidos

Glidos does improve the graphics but you need to pay $10 for the unlock code otherwise you'll get the Glidos logo rotating throughout the game, slap bang in the middle of the screen. Also I found I couldn't play it in a full window

Thanks for posting that Dukem - I might uninstall Glidos (I haven't payed for the code), and try the former method as I'd like to play TR1 again.

I was wondering whether the Mods would be so kind as to make this thread a sticky, so that other people can play 'the game that started it all' on their Vista PC's.

Its a good idea Dukem, I had to do a seach for this thread when I needed it. Lucky for me I knew it was here somewhere!
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6...newfavehf7.png
    Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken- Tyler Durden

Hehe, glad it helped ya!

Yes it did! I knew how to get TR1 working on XP, but I wasn't too sure about Vista.
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6...newfavehf7.png
    Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken- Tyler Durden

Hi,i am using DgVoodoo and JoyToKey and trying to play TR1(classic) on windows XP and using a gamepad(thrustmaster 3-in-1).the keys can be configurated perffectly but not the arrows(up,down,left,right),tryed loads but no succes,can someone help me pls? thanks alot and excuse for bad english

Assuming you want to use the directional arrows as movement keys, do the following:

In JoyToKey, go to the 'Others' tab on the right side of the screen:

Then, check these boxes:

Go back to the 'Joysticks' tab, and configure the new controls in the following way:

Hope this helps. If not, just post in this thread again or PM me.
    Last edited by Dukem; 08-21-2008 at 08:04 PM.

unfortunaltelly it doesn't solved the problem that way but i managed to solve the problem by assigning numpad 4 to move left,numpad 8 to move forward,numpad 2 to move backward and numpad 6 to move right.Now it works perfectly.Thanks for suggestion anyway and escusses for bad english again.

I thank you so much for this help!

I got a pack with the first 6 tomb raider games yesterday and could not make the first one work, which was driving me crazy. Then I found this site and your help and now it works, I'm so happy!

btw sorry about my english, it is my second langues and I don't use it very often

Dukem, thanks for this! I just did a search at the Glidos site and there wasn't info for TR1/TR2 on Vista. Thank goodness I searched this forum!
    And the whole world needs an Anthem and I'm trying to put words where they belong ~ Phantom Planet

Im very glad that I could help all of you. It's just a shame that even though this thread has over 2000 views, there are only 11 replies, and one of them is from me!

I've decided to update the guide slightly, especially the JoyToKey instructions. Hopefully that'll make it a bit easier to understand for everyone. I've also tried to make it easier on the eyes. Lemon Chiffon is the way forward, people.

this was a great help to me. I just got my tomb raider collection 1 - 6 in the mail today. do these instructions work for 2 - 6 as well as for 1?
    or will the others not require any extra help to play on vista?

Quote Originally Posted by my avalon View Post
    this was a great help to me. I just got my tomb raider collection 1 - 6 in the mail today. do these instructions work for 2 - 6 as well as for 1?
    or will the others not require any extra help to play on vista?
    For Tomb Raiders 2-6, you only need to set the compatibility of the program to Windows XP. To do this: Right click on the shortcut or .EXE to the program. Then, select 'Properties' and click on the 'Compatibility' tab. Under the heading 'Compatibility mode' select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)' from the drop down menu and click 'OK'.

Hello, I have a rather ignorant question. If I install TR1 on my Vista OS through this method, is everything reversable? By this I mean, if I uninstall the software renderer, glidos, and the TR game, will it leave behind some wierd file that always says it's being used by some system file and can't be deleted? B/c this happened to me before and I don't know much about computers.

Default Chronicles

Hi there,

I'm actually having trouble with chronicles and Vista - the weird thing is it worked fine when I first installed it. Btw - I hate Vista!

Post tomb raider 1 on vista?

hi i was wondering well i am using Vdos32 and i tried a demo of tr1 (because i am waiting for the full version to be delivered) but when i went to play it i found the directory of it and clicked ok then the main menu came up then i went to new game then there was no picture there was sounds of lara moving and shooting her guns but no picture some one help?!

any HELPFUL help much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by sheepydee View Post
    hi i was wondering well i am using Vdos32 and i tried a demo of tr1 (because i am waiting for the full version to be delivered) but when i went to play it i found the directory of it and clicked ok then the main menu came up then i went to new game then there was no picture there was sounds of lara moving and shooting her guns but no picture some one help?!

any HELPFUL help much appreciated
    Sorry to hear that, sheepydee.

I would guess that the reason you're encountering that problem is because you are using a demo version of the game. I cant say for sure, but it would seem that way.

Here's hoping that you have the full game now and everything's working fine, though. Post again in this thread or send me a PM if you're still running into problems.

ohk well when i load the program on vdos32 i dont see TOMB.EXE in C:/TOMBRAID anywhere. help?

Excellent thread! thanks!

If anyone is looking for another way to use console control pads with TR1 or any other games I recommend Xpadder.

It allows you to map gamepads to your desire. I use it with my PS2 controllers but u can use it with what ever pad you have.

Get it here: http://www.xpadderwave.com/

Smile

Itsalexbyo i had the same problem. I think the file you want is just called TOMB. Its an application file about 751 KB. Hope this helps.

EDIT:
    Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! (Kisses TR1 box and cries with happiness) The graphics aren't as bad as i thought and i have sound! Yipeeeeee! (I didnt have any sound on xp and the graphics weren't as good.)
    Last edited by rg_001100; 03-08-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by burt_ie View Post
    Excellent thread! thanks!

If anyone is looking for another way to use console control pads with TR1 or any other games I recommend Xpadder.

It allows you to map gamepads to your desire. I use it with my PS2 controllers but u can use it with what ever pad you have.

Get it here: http://www.xpadderwave.com/

If I were to download this would I have to mod the controler, with the whole cut the cords thing or would you suggest a PC controller like a Logitech?

Quote Originally Posted by Dollpy View Post
    If I were to download this would I have to mod the controler, with the whole cut the cords thing or would you suggest a PC controller like a Logitech?
    Xpadder works with any controller that plugs into the PC (as far as I know... it should work with any that are recognised, though).
    I assume that if he's using a PS2 controller for PC that it's either a PC/PS2 controller [with USB], or using some kind of adapter to allow it to plug into the PC.

Xpadder just takes the gamepad input and emulates key presses as assigned by the user; so it'll only work if the controller plugs into the PC. (I guess you'll need drivers for the gamepad as well).
    If your gamepad works with the PC then it's good enough to play TR1-5 with emulated key presses.

Question

Hi TR1 worked fine using Vdos 32 until today. It loads as it should and all my saved games are in the passport but when i go to load or start a new game it quits out and comes up with unimplemented instruction:F7 FB 89 C3 85 C0 74 22 89 EA and a load of numbers. Im doing everything the same as always and it worked fine yesterday. Any help appricated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast