They spend the entirety of season 5 to 'create' Eve (Lydia, the bi*** of Rome). Then before the series finally they cast her away and sent Xena and Gabrielle to Chin.
- . They spend the entirety of season 5 to 'create' Eve (Lydia, the bi*** of Rome) and scarifies several characters (Joxer, Autolycus etc) because of the time loop. But before the series finally they cast her away to never be seen again.
- I don't understand why the series finally is not in Greece. It’s in Chin. An obscure place in Xena lore.
- The finally is a 2 part episode. Based on a deux ex machine given in the first part. A flashback that introduced a lore and person that was created just for that episode and nobody has spoken of before. Ever. This flashback also has a great resemblance to Kill Bill Volume 1.
- No battle armor. Xena’s iconic armor is replaced by a barely coffering Japanese samurai armor. No wonder arrows penetrate her immediately.
- They kill her off. Not just that, but how they did it. Xena dies about a billion times in the series, yet they always decided to revive her some way. Death was never a permanent thing. However in this episode Xena is first shot with several arrows. Her head is chopped of. They hang her mutilated body up by the arms. They show this beautiful sight to her best friend: Gabrielle. And then show the audience her bodiless head. What a way to go.
Besides the way she was killed, there’s also the ‘why’ she was killed. When she’s dead she still lives as a spirit by Gabrielle’s side. Kinda like Ethanny and her son. So they can still communicate with eachother. Gabrielle has the chance to revive Xena. But Xena won’t let her do it. Reviving Xena means that a thousand souls of murderer’s will be tormented forever. A thousand souls nobody even knew about until one episode before. We care about Eve, we care for Xena and Gabrielle. Not a thousand souls of murderers we never heard about. Xena sacrificing herself for Eve, fine. Have it your way. But a thousand souls of murderer’s, deux ex machina’s? Nobody cared they were lost, they shouldn’t have done it that way.
- And Xena is still by Gabrielle’s side in the spirit world when they head for Egypt… why not just revive her then? Why are happy endings always such a no-go zone for certain series?..