Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exact way to get SR! working in XP w/sp2 & newist video drivers

Default Exact way to get SR! working in XP w/sp2 & newist video drivers

Method one: read carfuly and fallow the instrection on the fallowing web site http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1-XP.HTML

Method two: this is what worked for me. i would release the web site i got the fallowing info from but i can't find it.

To get Soul Reaver to work with XP(SP2), download the XP fix, set the executable to win98 compatibility, lower the vid card to basic (no D3D or OpenGL); then for sound, lower the sound acceleration to basic.

To lower vid acceleration --> Right click desktop, go to properties, select Settings tab, go to advanced. Your moniter properties will come up. Select the Troubleshoot tab (for Geforce)... I have a GF 3.

[IMG][/IMG]

To lower sound acceleration --> go to control panel, select Sounds and Audio Devices, Under Volume -- go to Advanced, then go to Performace.

[IMG][/IMG]

using this setting you can only run SR1 in software mode

If you set the vid acceleration and sound acceleration to the setting i have point to SR1 will run with little problems,

problem one: if you set the screen resolution to high you will get graphic anomulies. (texters tearing mostly)

Problem two: somtimes the sound might skip or bly as if in fast forword. so if you realy want to hear every word of a seartin cut sceen you will have to compleatly exit SR1 and restart. (good thing for the worp gates )

problem three: the opining vider will not play can somone pleas explain to me in detal what happens in that video?

I would like to know if Method two woeked for anyone else? if the pics are too small let me now and i'll resize them.

Just noticed that my pic arn't resizing to full screen

Pic one video settings

[IMG][/IMG]

pic two sound settings

[/IMG]

HAY THAY WORK CORRECTY THIS TIME :d :d :d

Thank's It's working fine now

Ps. To Darth Joker:

In the opening video we first meet Raziel, one of the Kain's lieautenants.

He tells the story of how he surpassed his master, Kain, in the Vampire Evolution process

- Raziel was given the wings. When Raziel realized it he teared off Raziel's wings and threw him

into The Lake of Death. He then woke up in the Spectral Realm....
    Last edited by Al99; 03-23-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Think you for the information now i really hat to be nit picky but... after playing through SR1 i noticed that not only does the opening video not work, but neather do any ov the video's in the time chamber am i messing anything really important by not seeing this videos? or are thay not really worth talking about.

P.S. this topic should be made sticky being that Method two works without haveing to uninstall your video drivers. also work on other games too.

Got a question:

Will the constant turning on and off the graphic acceleration not damage the computer or the graphic card ??

nope, no way. i'v been doing this for a few other games for years.

Thumbs up

Yep, the thread should be made Sticky,
    Then all the players who have the same problems with SR1, I and Darth Joker used to have would be able to share their opinions here in one place

Thanks for the info, man ;D

I wonder... Why is it necessary to lower Sound Card acceleration as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Al99 View Post
    I wonder... Why is it necessary to lower Sound Card acceleration as well?
    Well to be honist it not necessary at all. unless you have a super to of the line sound card (i do) then you have to lower the sound acceleration or else every thing starts to skip and echo really bad. after playing for over three hours (i have no life :P ) i compleaatly missed what MR. EG was saying about the human village of which i determand was usless anyway. i mean what id in the human village anyway? but i'm rambleing. anyway after i fiddled with the sound acceleration i was able to stop the skiping (to a point) and the echo (compleatly gone ) how ever it may be diffrent depending on your system.

the video acceleration however must be put exactly where i have it in my pic's any higher and SR1 crashes on start any lower and the game looks really chopy.

P.S. why isn't this a sticky yet?

No idea man

Now I have another problem with the game...
    When I load the saved game and I'm in the Spectral Realm then everything is OK, but as soon go into the Material Realm then, after crossing a particular place in the area, the game crashes
    I'm sure that if I had played the game from to beginning to the very end without loading then everything would have been OK....

I have partially solved the problem by playing as much of the game as I can from loading, in the Spectral Realm or at least just to go beyond the "Crashing site" then I can go into the Material Realm and everything is OK
    However, it's still a bit frustrating....
    Has anyone any ideas what is happening or how to solve it...?

No idea man

Now I have another problem with the game...
    When I load the saved game and I'm in the Spectral Realm then everything is OK, but as soon go into the Material Realm then, after crossing a particular place in the area, the game crashes
    I'm sure that if I had played the game from to beginning to the very end without loading then everything would have been OK....

I have partially solved the problem by playing as much of the game as I can from loading, in the Spectral Realm or at least just to go beyond the "Crashing site" then I can go into the Material Realm and everything is OK
    However, it's still a bit frustrating....
    Has anyone any ideas what is happening or how to solve it...?
    i had that same problem. what i did was just stay away from that Spectral / Material doorway. and after that i started keeping two saves, each about 10 - 20 minutes apart that way if it happend again i wouldn't have to redo too much... (stupid drowned abby had to redo that one three times once for diying and my save crashed again because i forgot to save, and one more time because of sound issues and i missed eg'' speach after beating whats his name)
    Last edited by DARTH JOKER; 04-02-2007 at 11:18 AM.

After beating Melchiah ?

By the way, by saying the Spectral/Material Doorway you meant the round portals on the ground or the big door-like Portals that carry you across great distances ?

Ps. I'm doing the same with saving

After beating Melchiah ?

By the way, by saying the Spectral/Material Doorway you meant the round portals on the ground or the big door-like Portals that carry you across great distances ?

Ps. I'm doing the same with saving
    yes Melchiah. and yes i ment the portals on the ground. spicificly the one that you first discover after you crose the broken bridge

Default helllllp

when i try to run the origional soul reaver i just get a black screen and have to restard my computer...in the crashinf.txt i get:

The Kain2 Exception Handler has yet another bug to report:
    Mapfile found. Trying to find function names.
    WARNING: Static functions will be misinterpreted as other functions!

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Crash address: 10002d51
    Stack: (at 23:12f890)
    00000001 0012f8cf 004d33ac 0000000c
    0046f8de 00000000 00000000 00000500
    00000400 00000002 00200000 00000000
    705c3a44 6f6c6275 722e6f67 7c006c70
    7c8024b7 00000244 00000000 0012f908
    73f11e55 00000244 73f12872 00000000
    00000000 7c90e2f1 7c8024b7 00000244
    00000000 0012f948 73f11e55 00000000

also where do i find XP fix? i have not tried method 2 yet because i wasnt sure where to get this...

I had the link to the xp patch posted in my first post, but apaeintly the site has changed. here is the new correct link.

http://www.thelostworlds.net/Softwar...and_Vista.html

Default Movie Player

I had to use your method to play the game. I don't find any difference with any level of sound acceleration except none, which prevents any sound at all, so I just tolerate the skips and echoes.

The main problem appears to be with the movies. With the slider at the point you indicated, it skips the movies entirely.

Visit this link for a player for the movie files. It requires compatability mode and a 16bit color depth on your desktop.

Talking

The guide is working to some extent. Apply the official patch as stated, get the unofficial one, and replace the game's executable. You don't need to send the game in Win98 compatibility mode, since the only culprit in charge with the above error is winplay.dll, the old '98 version. Sending the game in `98 compatibility won't help

Instead you can simply hex edit the .rpl file pointers inside the main .exe, along with the check if they are loaded or not. Seems to do the trick for me. And yes, you can play in hardware mode (currently playing the game with no problems @ 1024x768x32 on an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro)

Posting the modified .exe in a few minutes. Hope my solution works for y'allz.

P.S.: The downside is you can't view the movies. Working on it, and hopefully will release a patch to amend that

I have Win98 as a dual boot option on my PC. I don't care about the videos, I've seen them a million times on the playstation version. I just want the PC version so I can play the game with higher resolutions and 16x AF and 4x AA. I want the game to run in hardware mode. Is this possible on Windows 98 with a Geforce 6200 in hardware mode? I hope this game dosen't need 8-bit paletted textures like the PC versions of MGS and FF7/8.
    I was once a vampire prophet like you... then I took an arrow to the knee.

Works for me just fine on XP SP2

Quote Originally Posted by Sentience View Post
    Works for me just fine on XP SP2
    Your card can use older drivers tho. My card is limited to 77.77 forceware and higher. Nothing lower (and more compatible with SR1) will work on my 6200a chip.
    I was once a vampire prophet like you... then I took an arrow to the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlinn View Post
    I had to use your method to play the game. I don't find any difference with any level of sound acceleration except none, which prevents any sound at all, so I just tolerate the skips and echoes.

The main problem appears to be with the movies. With the slider at the point you indicated, it skips the movies entirely.

Visit this link for a player for the movie files. It requires compatability mode and a 16bit color depth on your desktop.
    Thank You SOOOOO Much Phlinn!!!
    Now I can finally play all the SR movies on my XP !
    Even the movies which do not actually appear in the game
    (The ones in which Raziel holds Yellow and even Red Reaver blade)
    Ps. You should look for the movie files on the Soul Reaver CD

Lightbulb

Hello people.
    First, glad to become a part of the community.
    Second, on the current issue:
    I've come up with a plan, desperate and stupid as it may seem, I believe it will work. Because I'm a big fan of the LOK, I tought on how to make SR1 work on XP WITH MOVIES and here is what my sick mind created:
    After downloading the player posted above I've decided to replace the Windows\system32\ .dll files with the ones from the player, thus making XP sort-of compatible with the SR1 movies. I'm now going to do it with a Live version of XP, since the \system32 files cannot be overwritten normally.
    YES,I KNOW IT'S STUPID,BELIEVE ME. But sometimes such things work. I'll write on my progress (soon, if it goes ok, and if not - maybe not so soon)
    Meanwhile - I wish good luck to the good people that try to do it by other means (Hexedit/coding and such complex stuff)
    SlabakBG

EDIT:
    Well,told you it was a stupid idea... the good side was that the game ran from the XP on the LiveCD..on the other hand, there was no sound at all since it couldn't detect my 7.1ch card... I'll keep thinking then. Good luck to the rest
    Last edited by SlabakBG; 06-18-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Status Report

oh sweet............i can play sr1 on my pc again. was worried that i had to get rid of the game. thx darth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentience View Post
    The guide is working to some extent. Apply the official patch as stated, get the unofficial one, and replace the game's executable. You don't need to send the game in Win98 compatibility mode, since the only culprit in charge with the above error is winplay.dll, the old '98 version. Sending the game in `98 compatibility won't help

Instead you can simply hex edit the .rpl file pointers inside the main .exe, along with the check if they are loaded or not. Seems to do the trick for me. And yes, you can play in hardware mode (currently playing the game with no problems @ 1024x768x32 on an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro)

Posting the modified .exe in a few minutes. Hope my solution works for y'allz.

P.S.: The downside is you can't view the movies. Working on it, and hopefully will release a patch to amend that
    let me know how you go. would love to play it with the fmv's as well (and hopefully without having to lower graphics acceleration).

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH JOKER View Post
    Think you for the information now i really hat to be nit picky but... after playing through SR1 i noticed that not only does the opening video not work, but neather do any ov the video's in the time chamber am i messing anything really important by not seeing this videos? or are thay not really worth talking about.
    You can download the intro video here:

http://www.eidosinteractive.com/down...ch.html?gmid=9

or watch it on youtube if you can't download it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBnVXcTlbPo

As for the scenes in the Oracle's cave, the dialogue page here describes it quite nicely

http://www.nosgoth.net/Soul_Reaver/d...htm#oraclecave

The first time I played SR1 was on a Windows 98 PC so it worked fine. I ended up having to get a cheap PlayStation1 and the PlayStation version of BO1 since I couldn't find the PC version anywhere. Then SR1 refused to work with my Windows XP PC, and I already had the PS1, so I got the PS version of SR1. I miss the better graphics from the PC version, but at least the sound works.
    Last edited by WraithStar; 07-24-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast