Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you are recieving a Vertex error when launching Just Cause

Question If you are recieving a Vertex error when launching Just Cause

I have been trying to do some additional research into this error. At this time I could really use your help. Of all the people that are recieving the Vertex Shader Error with the retail version of the game; do you have a CD or DVD burner? And if so what burning software are you using?

CDBurnerXP Pro 3.0.116

Ive tried installing all of the software people have reported they have had installed when they recieve this error. So far I have installed Roxio easy media Creator 7.5, CDBurnerXP Pro 3.0.116. Neither of these have had errors. Sonic Record Now is another software suite I have not had a chance to install.

I have had one report of uninstalling the burning software and Just Cause, and after reinstalling Just Cause they were able to launch and run the title.

If there are any other suggestions out there Im willing to try them.

Besides Sonic Recorder, see if Winamp (latest) full has any issue. It installs the burning drivers from Sonic Solutions. I use Winamp 5 but not had any issues, never know however.
    If you want my signature, send me $20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufomies
    I am an IT pro and I know pretty much about the best ways to keep my PC running as well as possible.

Rolleyes Errors

I also get these errors whenever trying to start the game:

Pixel shader error! (1): error X2001: shader version expected, and
    Vertex shader error! (1): error X2001: shader version expected, and

Of course I do have a DVD burner, the only burning software installed is Nero Express 6.3.1.20.

Video card is a GeForce 6600GT, which should be sufficient.

intrepid_soul Guest

Try uninstalling Nero and see if that changes anything. I found this thread on a blog today:

http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com/20...210-games.html

Are the people recieving this error only on laptops?

im on a lappie and am getting the shader error is there any way around this i could reward the person with cash? to assist me in making this game work correctly

intrepid_soul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DipSet
    im on a lappie and am getting the shader error is there any way around this i could reward the person with cash? to assist me in making this game work correctly
    None of our games were designed or tested on laptops so results may vary. Its not to say they won't work, its just saying laptop hardware is is sometimes too unique.

What type of video card do you have? You can check this by going to start, run, and type in DXDIAG, select OK and then click on the Display tab, and report back what the Name of the device is.

Default No way

No, that did not change anything (except that I now have to reinstall Nero and look for my d**n serial number somewhere...)

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid_soul
    Try uninstalling Nero and see if that changes anything. I found this thread on a blog today:

http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com/20...210-games.html

Are the people recieving this error only on laptops?

i have a fresh install of XP

no cd drive
    no dvd drive
    no dvd/cd authoring software

I have Itunes/Quicktime installed
    I have my drivers installed

I have vertex/shader error X2001

I don't see how this problem has anything to do with cd/dvd auth software

Can someone please help me!!

Quote Originally Posted by leex
    i have a fresh install of XP

no cd drive
    no dvd drive
    no dvd/cd authoring software
    You have no CD or DVD drives? How are you able to get the game running without the disc inserted?
    hmmm....

I launch the game from a network drive and it works fine on my other computer

can we at least confirm wether this is a driver, directx or missing files issue?

Hi. I too get the shader messages when trying to launch JC.
    I am on a stationary computer.
    Specs: MSI kt6 delta w/ AMD XP1800 and 512 RAM, ATI x800 GTO, Win XP/sp2
    Just installed latest drivers from ATI (catalyst 6.9), problem still occurs.
    However, I use Deamon Tools as I dont have a DVD drive in my computer I have a crappy LG CD-burner from the stoneage though.
    Also tested with install through network drive, but with no luck.
    Could it be related to me having Deamon Tools installed? A friend of me downloaded the game, and he playes it fine. He use DT or something too.

Default Nope, it's not DT

No, DT is not the problem - I also deinstalled DT and tried again, no difference at all. Same as Nero. Has to be some other problem.

By the way, just upgraded Mainboard & CPU (no, not because of Just Cause, but because of Gothic 3, a game that works just fine from the start), also no change...

Quote Originally Posted by leex
    I launch the game from a network drive and it works fine on my other computer
    Can you confirm if the PC you are on now has the latest DirectX 9.0c build installed? and if the other PC you are running the game has the latest build?

Latest build was released on 10/10/06

It's hard to tell as Microsoft doesn't change the version numbers afaik...

You can check the dates of the directX files on the DirectX files tab in dxdiag. Most specifically the "Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll" and "Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll" files.

I have a hunch that there may have been a change in one of the DirectX build updates lately which is affecting how the pixel shader is being recognised with certain graphics cards. (generally those in the nVidia 6500+ range (and some equivelant ATi cards)).

I may be completely wrong on this but it's worth looking in to. I've followed a line of research which has lead me from the error message recieved to HLSL and MDX. MDX2 is being scrapped forcing devs to go back to MDX1.1 standards (which, as far as I can tell, changes the format for identifying pixel shaders etc), then on to MS's XNA, how much of this has changed already I don't know...

Here's some links with food for thought

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sd...e/default.aspx - This is only the info on the new SDK for DirectX but it's quite clear what is going to happen in the future
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D - DirectX wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Level_Shader_Language - HLSL wiki (Higher level shader language)
    http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...age=1&#2411793 - The page that started me off!

Hope this is of some help!

Rolleyes Same error

Hi.
    i have the same error problem. I've tried the game on windows xp SP2 with the directX 9c update from microsoft site, latest drivers (chipset and video) and on windows xp 64 bit edition with the latest drivers for it.
    I'm having the same problem.
    The windows is fresh, no software are installed except the drivers. Anny ideas.

intrepid_soul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cipirix
    Hi.
    i have the same error problem. I've tried the game on windows xp SP2 with the directX 9c update from microsoft site, latest drivers (chipset and video) and on windows xp 64 bit edition with the latest drivers for it.
    I'm having the same problem.
    The windows is fresh, no software are installed except the drivers. Anny ideas.

XP 64 isn't supported, so I wouldn't have any information on how to get it running. Are you saying you are getting the same error in xp 64 and xp?

The vertex / pixel error x2001 whatever it say's

-XP SP2
    -Oct 11th dated directx9.0c install
    -tried with all latest windows updates, as well as a fresh copy of winxp SP2 without updates, and then updating it again on fresh side. (4 different installs of Just cause pre format / post format, pre driver / post driver)

-a second different driver for video / sound / motherboard chipset's
    - random programs like nero obviously don't matter as problem persist's after a fresh format
    - the store won't give me a refund

Worst game ever. Don't tell me to buy a new PC as that's totally unaccaptable for a game i paid good $ for. Dont tell me to try another driver cause i've tried every single possible thing on my end. 6800 is clearly supported by this game. Or is that false advertising?! I have no intention of buying new hardware just to make this basic game work. I mean it's not like you guys are designing an entire 3d engine from scratch right?!?!

And from what ive read this is only one of the numerous issues you guys have!! Stop making excuse's and blaming us, clearly something is wrong with the game, you can't find it the issue to patch it, your fault. Least you can do is make an official statement and apologize for screwing up?!. I thought BF2142 was bad with all the patchs/bugs, at least they can fix/find them.

intrepid_soul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maxym
    The vertex / pixel error x2001 whatever it say's

-XP SP2
    -Oct 11th dated directx9.0c install
    -tried with all latest windows updates, as well as a fresh copy of winxp SP2 without updates, and then updating it again on fresh side. (4 different installs of Just cause pre format / post format, pre driver / post driver)
    Excellent troubleshooting here!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxym
    -a second different driver for video / sound / motherboard chipset's
    - random programs like nero obviously don't matter as problem persist's after a fresh format
    - the store won't give me a refund

Worst game ever. Don't tell me to buy a new PC as that's totally unaccaptable for a game i paid good $ for. Dont tell me to try another driver cause i've tried every single possible thing on my end. 6800 is clearly supported by this game. Or is that false advertising?! I have no intention of buying new hardware just to make this basic game work. I mean it's not like you guys are designing an entire 3d engine from scratch right?!?!

And from what ive read this is only one of the numerous issues you guys have!! Stop making excuse's and blaming us, clearly something is wrong with the game, you can't find it the issue to patch it, your fault. Least you can do is make an official statement and apologize for screwing up?!. I thought BF2142 was bad with all the patchs/bugs, at least they can fix/find them.
    I would hate to buy a game from any company that would suggest buying a new computer every game that came out. The 6800 is supported, infact the computer directly accross from me has a 6800 and runs the game fine. We have, and are currently trying to figure it out. I can only assume you mean we ask people to try things, and you take that as us blaming them for the problem. We are in the dark on this issue. We have tried this on numerous computers worldwide and an Eidos employee has yet to see this, which is frustrating on our end because we know this problem exists, but we can't get any hands on experience with it.

If you have been watching the threads on this issue you will see that we are trying to gather as much information as possible, so far there is no commonality among the affected systems.

Hey guys, i'd like to suggest something that I hope someone here with this issue could try.

First of all, if someone could grab the application 3danalyze from here (click on the large image to start the download, once the page has loaded) : http://www.tommti-systems.com/main-Dateien/files.html - Next, grab all of the latest DirectX9 DLL's from this site http://www.shdon.com/view?doc=d3dx (the first one is the one you want, 24 through 29) These DLL's come with an automatic installer. *edit*, feel free to try loading the game after installing these...if it still fails, continue on

Once you have 3dAnalyze downloaded and extracted, run it. Once it's open, click 'Select EXE', and select the JustCause.exe in the Just Cause folder (Program Files\Eidos, etc if you used the default directory). Now enable the following settings as I have in this picture (ignore the JustCauseDemo.exe file, had to open something to ungrey the options)

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8...r05testdo3.jpg

Then hit 'Run' below the 'Select' button. If the game fails to load, or if it produces random errors or glitches, untick the 'Force Low Precision Pixel Shader' option and try it again. Another thing to try is to tick the box labelled "Force Max Pixel Shader version 1.4". Hopefully that can make a difference. If not, i'll keep at it tonight.

One other thing I was wondering, has everyone verified that AGP Texture Acceleration, Direct3d Acceleration, and DirectDraw Acceleration is enabled in DXDiag? Start->Run->dxdiag->Display tab. If not, attempt to enable them, if you can't, you'll need to uninstall and reinstall your chipset drivers.

I know this is all a lot to stuff around with, but at least it's something, and it might just provide insight on a possible solution. Let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Sobek; 11-01-2006 at 09:55 PM.

- same error after the new dx9 DLL install
    - same error with 'Force Low Precision Pixel Shader' on/off
    - same error with "Force Max Pixel Shader version 1.4" on/off
    - same error for both above settings inputting the vendor/device id
    did it two times around with the vendor/device ID once set to 0, once set to the radeon9800 numbers pointed out, was abit confused as i dont have a 9800 etc, but did it all once with the way the picture was anyway.

Did DXDiag and those 3 settings under display are enabled. (didn't have to enable those at all)

Default WTF? Demo runs just fine - Full Version gives shader errors

So I gave it try, downloaded the demo, installed it - and it starts up just fine! With the full version - no chance, just those shader errors...

intrepid_soul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Green Chili View Post
    So I gave it try, downloaded the demo, installed it - and it starts up just fine! With the full version - no chance, just those shader errors...

This is what we are seeing. It defies all logic. We are still trying to figure it out though we are running out of ideas.

Default Anything we can do to help diagnose this?

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid_soul View Post
    This is what we are seeing. It defies all logic. We are still trying to figure it out though we are running out of ideas.
    It is very annoying to have a new game that I can't play (since it came out I've been lurking here and waiting for anything from my customer support case) but I realise this one must be hard to diagnose. Is there anything I can run to help support with this?

I'm running a Windows MCE (basically SP2 - latest patches) on a Core Duo 6400, 2gb RAM, GeForce 7900 GT (nv4_disp.dll is version 6.14.0010.9147).

Latest directX - dxdiag shows no errors - all the graphics tests are successful - I'm willing to send the report if that helps?

Or if you have any debug versions or tools that may help then I'm willing to run them.

I'll run the analyzer (Sobek's post) and post my results here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast