Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you are recieving a Vertex error when launching Just Cause

Does anybody think it could be a faulty batch of discs? I remember when one of the Tiger Woods games came out and I got that on the first day of release too and it turned out there was a nasty bug which stopped you completing it.
    Just a thought

p.s. I got mine from Play.com anyone else?

I bought a brand new AMD64 3000+ and Geforce 7900GT, 1Gb dual 800 ddr2 and winxp32 and as you already have guessed the stupid game is not working. I get the P/V error and i'm sick of it, i need solutions, why the hell you sell a game that is so utterly broken?????

intrepid_soul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by windozaru View Post
    I bought a brand new AMD64 3000+ and Geforce 7900GT, 1Gb dual 800 ddr2 and winxp32 and as you already have guessed the stupid game is not working. I get the P/V error and i'm sick of it, i need solutions, why the hell you sell a game that is so utterly broken?????
    Technically we are not a retail company, so we don't sell anything here directly to the public. Forums actually propogate incorrect assumptions. For example, if I plug in the lastest game and double click the icon to play it and a message pops up,"U R Dumb, click okay to accept", if I post a message on a the company's message board the title will read something like,"Error when running the game" or "Game calls me Dumb when I try to play it." Now, people who are running the game just fine, with no errors will probably not click on that subject. However, people who recieve the same error will, and will testify to their experience. So, let time pass for say 3 months, in that time more and more people add to this thread. In the end anyone who has this issue see's the long list of responses, and makes the assumption there are alot of people with this issue. In reality many times in a forum thread there are several people responding multiple times, which adds to the post count, but not reported occurance count.

I have been on top of this error message from the first initial report I recieved from a customer. I have been sending out emails to various people who might have solutions or even ideas. Everything has come up empty. You can even look at some of these threads in this forum. After so many back and forth conversations many people simply give up. This sets back the troubleshooting procedure each time, since you have to eliminate the initial possible causes. I have been in communication with several Eidos offices through the world. There are reports of this issue coming from every where. The trouble is the were only coming in a few a week. In the end we probably only recieved 30 or so contacts about this issue, although new ones (such as yours) pop up from time to time. If you look at the bigger picture, and think of the thousands of copies of this game that are out there, 30 or so is hardly a epidimc.

Does this mean I am not still actively seeking a solution? Not at all! I am still in the hunt, but I have no new information. If only I could find a machine that I can reproduce the error in front of me, then I could really tear into it. Unfortunatly, all we have is screen shots submitted from users. We have been unable to reproduce this error internally. I will post a new reply to this thread giving an update of what we do know. Perhaps it will help on the search for a solution.

intrepid_soul Guest

Exclamation What we know

The Pixel Shader/Vertex shader error is the most complex issue I have ever seen, as it defies all logic.

Pixel Shader and Vertex shaders are parts to the video card, so our assumption has been, and still is there is something going on with the video card that is creating this error.

We have seen this error occur on both ATI and Nvidia cards. We have seen this error on older drivers, and newest drivers. A user contact us with a Nvidia FX 5800, which one of our support reps run here in the office. We thought Eureka, let's reproduce this. So we uninstalled the current driver and installed the same driver that the user was using. The game started with no problem.

In a bizzarre twist, people who can run the demo, get the message in the full game, but people who can get the message in the full game, cannot run the demo. Again, these results are not consist or any where near even 50% reproducibility.

Web searching turns up several programming pages where this error occurs in various areas, but the common solution is to change something in the programming environment. In the case of a shipped game there is no programming environment, and had this been a programming error, more then a small handfull would get this error.

One person reported uninstalling and reinstalling caused the game to work, but no one since then has had sucess with that solution.

We have tried closing background processes, disabling start up items, and lowering sound acceration. All having the same effect, nothing.

There seems to be a large percentage of users who have a DVD+R drive on their system, but again it defies logic as this error has been on systems without this equipment.

We have seen it on XP and XP MCE.

The newest avenue that I am exploring on new support tickets is examining system messages that are triggered by this error. I am also looking at lists of processes, so I can try to recreate the issue here.

In the begining we thought defective media, but so far no one replacing the disc has found success.

If anyone has any new ideas, or thoughts it would be really helpful if you spoke up. It goes back to the previous post though, for the most part only people who get this message will ever look in here. The usual reason for looking would be to find a solution, not recommend one.

intrepid_soul Guest

Exclamation Update!

I just heard back from someone that sent me copies of all their even logs. I noticed one thing strange. 2 minutes before the crash occured, the IMAPI service started and then stopped.

If you look at the order of events, you put in the disk and attempt to run it after clearing out all the messages 2 minutes would have passed if not more. So if you are recieving the pixel shader error, try this:

Right Click on My Computer
    Select Manage
    The Computer Managerment program should load
    In the left hand pane click the plus next to Services and Applications
    Highlight the Services selection
    Find the Service that is called: "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
    Please note what it is currently set to: I.E. Manual, Automatic, or disabled
    Double click this line, it should open up a properties box
    Set the setting to disabled
    Restart the computer and try the game again

Report back your findings, but remember to go back into this program and reset the setting back to what it was.

I have installed a fesh copy of Xp(SP2).then installed the game ...i didnt even installed drivers and then ran the game it goes fine till then untill first mission starts after sometime pc crashes with BSoD and the error i get is about pixel shadder ... i installed the latest drivers 93.71 which crashes the game even in the start of the loading of the new game ... can anyone explain please i use FX 5200 ......... ps i have tried the above thingy to no use !

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid_soul View Post
    I just heard back from someone that sent me copies of all their even logs. I noticed one thing strange. 2 minutes before the crash occured, the IMAPI service started and then stopped.

If you look at the order of events, you put in the disk and attempt to run it after clearing out all the messages 2 minutes would have passed if not more. So if you are recieving the pixel shader error, try this:

Right Click on My Computer
    Select Manage
    The Computer Managerment program should load
    In the left hand pane click the plus next to Services and Applications
    Highlight the Services selection
    Find the Service that is called: "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
    Please note what it is currently set to: I.E. Manual, Automatic, or disabled
    Double click this line, it should open up a properties box
    Set the setting to disabled
    Restart the computer and try the game again

Report back your findings, but remember to go back into this program and reset the setting back to what it was.
    Ok I did exactly that and no change whatsoever, i still get the illogical P/V error. The only thing I have in common with the other people that reported this is an ASUS M2N-E mamaboard.
    I reinstalled the game as well and also no change. I'm all out of solutions here, my computer is brand new so it should definately work, i have the latest drivers to all and a creative live 5.1 audio card.

intrepid_soul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by windozaru View Post
    Ok I did exactly that and no change whatsoever, i still get the illogical P/V error. The only thing I have in common with the other people that reported this is an ASUS M2N-E mamaboard.
    I reinstalled the game as well and also no change. I'm all out of solutions here, my computer is brand new so it should definately work, i have the latest drivers to all and a creative live 5.1 audio card.
    Thanks for trying that out. I didn't think it would make a difference but the only thing that showed up on the event log was that service starting up.

If you're game, try this download this program:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/

It's a tool to emulate various graphic options, for example Pixel Shader Support, or vertex shading. Someone pointed this out as a "fix" to get Lego Star Wars to run on non-supported video cards. Try following the steps for that workaround and see what happen with this game. Ofcourse substitute Just Cause for Lego Star Wars:

http://support.eidosinteractive.com/...barticleid=223

intrepid_soul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aitzaz View Post
    I have installed a fesh copy of Xp(SP2).then installed the game ...i didnt even installed drivers and then ran the game it goes fine till then untill first mission starts after sometime pc crashes with BSoD and the error i get is about pixel shadder ... i installed the latest drivers 93.71 which crashes the game even in the start of the loading of the new game ... can anyone explain please i use FX 5200 ......... ps i have tried the above thingy to no use !
    So you were able to install the game and get to the first mission. Interesting. When you say the game crashes when the start of the loading of a new game. Are you meaing you were able to get to the main menu of the game? Or are you talking about double clicking the icon on your desktop.

sorry my english is a lil bad i use the origianl set of drivers provided by service pack 2. i started the game through the main menu and then selected new game .The movie loaded and the game started when i have to jump using a parachute but a 30-40 seconds later the game crashed with the blue screen of death ...when it restarted they show me the message of the error report and asked me to choose between sending the report or not ...the report clearly reffered to error in vertex shader

when i installed the most recent drivers for fx 5200 and then it didnt even loaded and crashed during loading with blue screen

Default 'Just Cause' (it's no good)

I have read with interest the 2 pages of messages on this subject. My son's game still refuses to play despite us taking the various bits of advice offered.

My computer meets the specs required of this game and it plays many others just fine, including ones installed on Christmas day for my children. You have said that only a small number of people have reported problems. What proportion have you been able to rectify? None of those on this forum.

If you can't figure it out from where you are perhaps you should send a member of EIDOS' staff to one of the people with a problem. Then you could witness the problem in person rather than spending almost 3 months failing to resolve it.

Furthermore, it is time for a change in the way games are sold. If they don't work we should be able to take/send them back for an immediate refund. That's what happens with every other product.

guys i may look stupid as i am not fully aware of the stuff but the thing is simple most people had crashing problems in hitman blood money untill a patch came out which disable shadder so cant v disable it it might prevent crashing

Default vertex error

hi guys
    i've been having the same problem with the shader error message despite matching or bettering the stated specs.
    after trying a few suggestions on these forums the way i got around the error message was to download the drivers for my graphics card from the manufacturer (connect3d) - not the chipset manufacturer (ATI).

after an uninstall and reinstall the game now advances to the first loading screen and crashes when the bar reaches 100% - doh.

any help on this stage would be greatly appreciated...

remember to report back any successes you have - the support team needs to know what does and doesn't work before they can get a patch out

Default We got rid of all installation errors

We got the same pixel/shader errors and some other errors as so many people did when we tried to install and load the game. We could load the demo and play it fine. I read all of the post and we researched on the internet. We checked out DirectX, etc. We have had the game since it was released and had given up until last night when I mentioned I had read that the Nero software had caused problems for someone. We uninstalled the Nero software and the game installed, loaded and we are now able to play it. I have an HP Pentium 4, 1.8 ghz, ATI Radeon 9550. That may not solve the problem for everyone but it helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by tdakhdj View Post
    We got the same pixel/shader errors and some other errors as so many people did when we tried to install and load the game. We could load the demo and play it fine. I read all of the post and we researched on the internet. We checked out DirectX, etc. We have had the game since it was released and had given up until last night when I mentioned I had read that the Nero software had caused problems for someone. We uninstalled the Nero software and the game installed, loaded and we are now able to play it. I have an HP Pentium 4, 1.8 ghz, ATI Radeon 9550. That may not solve the problem for everyone but it helped us.
    this is an instalation error and it has nothing to do with video problems p/v error.

Default Vertex Pixel Shader Error Solution

Hi,

In South Africa bought a copy of just cause yesterday and experienced same errors...demo worked fine but retail version gave me the same errors...could not be bothered with the solutions posted here...dvd writer this and that test program....test this test that and the best buy a new PC ! too much effort for what it's worth.

My specs:
    P4 2.8, MSI motherboard, 1.2 Gig Ram, Maxtor HDD and LG DVD writer (lightscribe) using nero. Nvidia 6800 XT 512MB WinXP SP2 latest drivers on all hardware.

Had a look at one of the threads from the eidos guys saying that none of the systems share a cominality....well we do

We all run WinXp SP2, which would include Windows Firewall, and some kind of antivirus....

My solution to the vertex/pixel shader error was as follows and this should help most of you...

Install the game and run if you get the errors do the following
    - Open windows firewall if running and add the just cause executable file as well as the game game setup file(the one you use to configure the video etc) to the exeption list that was installed in the instal folder.
    -Now disable antivirus
    -Uninstall the game and re-install
    -When installtion is complete and it asks you of you want to run just cause choose yes.

Game running fine now.....please let me know if this works for you too...

To Eidos...SOME FORM OF COMPENSATION WOULD BE APRECIATED took me 6 hours to find solution not 3 months

Regards,

Default possible solution for ATI cards

note to patch developers (if any),
    after trying a few changes to drivers recently i discovered that i received the p/v error message only when the avivo codec pack was installed with ATI's catalyst control center. on a custom install of the drivers the avivo pack can be deselected and left out of the installation.
    sorry to those of you with other 3d card makes.

Smile 3D-Analyze works

Hello everyone,

I have a Hp Pavilion Laptop with integrated Intel chipsed 915 express 128MB(shared). I have a lot of problems with new games and i had problems with Just cause.

The solution for me was very simple: i downloaded 3d-Analyze last version and started making some modifications until the error stoped apearing. After some more changes i've got to the point where i had a black screen but the sounds loaded just fine.
    So i thought i could search for a solution. I found it here. I configured 3d-analyze like one of teh guys here sugested and the game worked just fine.

The only problem i have now is that the game is moving too slow.

I do not know very much about programing but i guess that after all in some cases it is a video card problem!

Default ok

So the game works. congratulations you made a good game.

When the game get's crowded it runs very slow. I tried to set all the video settings to minimum or low but i have the same problem.

I am asking the experts arount here if you think i should try to change some more settings on 3d-analyze or some other program.
    My configuration is:

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: Pavilion dv4000
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.80GHz
    Memory: 1014MB RAM
    Page File: 306MB used, 2134MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Unhappy error message

im getting the shading an vortex error messages too. Sometimes the drive wont recognise the disc... im running a pc with radeon x600 and using sonic for burning help.. i really want to play this game

Default 3dfxzone

download the 3dfxzone 3d analyzer as the moderator said...the game works!!!!!!! I was surprised myself...the videos between missions can be a bit a jittery but the gameplay itself is fine..good luck!!!!!!!!

Can you please say what options exactly you ticked to get it working?

This would be much appreciated

Question

Is there a definitive solution to this highly annoying problem? obviously anyone that finds one doesn't come back in here what works and what do you do exactly?

intrepid_soul Guest

We have found that in the small portion that recieve this error if they use the 3d ANALYZE program from above, they are able to bypass the errors and play. And select the option: "Emulate HW TnL CAPS" and launch the game. It should work.

Now as everyone who has read many of my posts knows this issue makes no sense and this solution makes even littler sense. The video cards that this error shows up on support Hardware TnL, so why they would need a third party software to emulate it is beyond me.

Default emulate

It Doesn't work for me. still the same problem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast