Thread: LOAD Screen freeze up fix

Lightbulb LOAD Screen freeze up fix

Ok I searched high and low for a fix to where the game freezes up at the menu screen and the sound loops. Here is how I fixed mine hope this helps anyone else.

I currently run an FX60 with a XFX-7800GTX 4gigs of Corsair Extreme Memory.
    Sound blaster Audigy 2 and Windows XP Pro (32) with PAE added to the boot.ini so it can see and use 3gig of the memory. (Latest drivers on all hardware devices video,sound etc..)

I went to amd.com and download the-

AMD Athlon™ 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64/FX processors on Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1 x84 and x64 Editions.
    Download

Then I went ahead and retrieved the -

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.
    Download

In add and remove programs uninstall Microsofts AMD Dual core processor driver. **reboot**

Install the AMD driver. **reboot**

Install the Dual Core Optimizer. **reboot**

You should be able to run the game now. I run mine @ 1600x1200 full graphics and no problems.

Cheers
    Chuck

Wow! Thanks man! I bought this game a few months ago, as I thought the first one was incredible. Until now I haven't been able to play it, even by disabling the dual core, but this sorted it out no problem first time!
    You star!
    Richard

Didn't work I installed AMD drivers but since I've got a single core Athlon 64 4000+ that Dual-core optimizer doesn't do any good for me (I decided to try it anyway but as presumed, it didn't start). Loading bar still doesn't want to move.

Any suggestions?

Deus Ex game of the year had bugs like the helmets of technicians and unatco troops, the second has a crash bug. The third will probably never even run.

i have a toshiba notebook 1gb ram 100hdd and radeon x1600.when i run the game the screen stais black and it crashes,can it be that the game does not supprot my grafik card?? pls help

can someone help me pls

hello,

I have exactly the same problem but with an intel CPU (core 2 duo E6300) and thus none of your solution will work on my system.
    so I'm stuck on the menu screen of DX:IW with the loop sound and just can't play the game, when I have a PC that's powerful enough to run it really smooth

Default same report

Please, i am reporting from a Toshiba laptop, a dual Intel 2GhZ with 2 Gigs of Ram.

Just bought the game from ebay and the disks are original and everything.

But
    a) the game freezes at some point in the menu screen (before or after displaying the menu voices... new game, etc...) randomly but in the first 2 sec

b) patches don't patch. The error message that appears claim that there is some file which has been modified... even if it has mantained the original name. Obviously no such thing has been done as the program has vever run.

Anyone with ideas?

I have the exact same problem, but I'm not trying to run the game on an AMD processor. Any ideas to get around this problem on Intel? (By the way, I have a system with an Intel Core 2 Extreme @ 2.8GHz and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600XT, running Windows XP Professional SP2.)

Thanks for any help!

Default Thanks

I just installed those two drivers on my machine (I am running an AMD X2 3800+) and it fixed my freezing problem. Thanks a lot for the post!

Default found good fix for Intel dual core processor

I had the same problem as everyone else. Seemed to be only with dual core processors, so I looked up how to set the processor affinity for programs. Found another forum for a flight sim with the same problem. go to

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...1083&mode=full

Follow the directions. You have to download an exe and put it in your system32 folder, then just run it from a cmd window. It's all there, and worked perfectly. Good luck.

Ded Tek

Default HyperThreading and P4's

I'm running an older Pentium 4 System with HyperThreading (Dell PowerEdge 400 SC). Seemed to have the same issues as everybody else, where the game would load, intro movie would play, then try to start a new game, and it gets stuck. Disabling HyperThreading in my BIOS fixed this.

Not an elegant solution, and it seems like multiple cores (physical or virtual) in general cause issues on this game. But, it does provide a temporary workaround. Can enable HyperThreading again once finished replaying the game.

EDIT:

Followup. Did a bit more hunting and found imagecfg as another workaround. Mutli-cores seem to be afflicting several older games.

1) Download imagecfg from http://robpol86.com/pages/imagecfg.php to your game system directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Deus Ex - Invisible War\System)
    2) Start, Run, Type cmd.exe and hit enter
    3) Type cd\Program Files\Deus Ex - Invisible War\System
    4) Type copy "DX2.exe" "DX2.backup.exe"
    5) Type copy "DX2Main.exe" "DX2Main.backup.exe"
    6) Type copy "Ion Launcher.exe" "Ion Launcher.backup.exe"
    7) Type imagecfg -a 0x1 DX2.exe
    8) Type imagecfg -a 0x1 DX2Main.exe
    9) Type imagecfg -a 0x1 "Ion Launcher.exe"
    10) Play game and enjoy after hours of miserable frustration.
    Last edited by perlith; 04-01-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Default Service Pack 3 fixed it for me!

I have had this issue for longer than I can remember and thought nothing could ever fix it if it had gone this long unsolved but I have finally found a solution. Service Pack 3 fixed it for me, I know its unbelievable that something Microsoft released would have actually solved one of my problems but it did. So I hope this is the end for most peoples Dues Ex:IW Problems.
    Last edited by TioShard; 07-07-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Needed a title ;)

Quote Originally Posted by perlith View Post
    I'm running an older Pentium 4 System with HyperThreading (Dell PowerEdge 400 SC). Seemed to have the same issues as everybody else, where the game would load, intro movie would play, then try to start a new game, and it gets stuck. Disabling HyperThreading in my BIOS fixed this.

Not an elegant solution, and it seems like multiple cores (physical or virtual) in general cause issues on this game. But, it does provide a temporary workaround. Can enable HyperThreading again once finished replaying the game.

EDIT:

Followup. Did a bit more hunting and found imagecfg as another workaround. Mutli-cores seem to be afflicting several older games.

1) Download imagecfg from http://robpol86.com/pages/imagecfg.php to your game system directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Deus Ex - Invisible War\System)
    2) Start, Run, Type cmd.exe and hit enter
    3) Type cd\Program Files\Deus Ex - Invisible War\System
    4) Type copy "DX2.exe" "DX2.backup.exe"
    5) Type copy "DX2Main.exe" "DX2Main.backup.exe"
    6) Type copy "Ion Launcher.exe" "Ion Launcher.backup.exe"
    7) Type imagecfg -a 0x1 DX2.exe
    8) Type imagecfg -a 0x1 DX2Main.exe
    9) Type imagecfg -a 0x1 "Ion Launcher.exe"
    10) Play game and enjoy after hours of miserable frustration.
    Thanks! Was having problems with IW with an E6600, and this worked perfectly

Default More of the same...

So I just got another copy of IW from a friend today. I had one but i kept running into the loading problem, thinking it was my copy I through it aside. I tried this new copy and the same thing happened. Then i found this thread on the problem. Some of the info on fixes are a bit old so I was wondering if i could get some help with my system.

Windows XP Service Pack 2
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 2.2GHz
    2GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce Go 7600, 256mb

I hope thats enough info.

Also the links at the top for fixing AMD stuff are dead.

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by SenorKwanzaa View Post
    So I just got another copy of IW from a friend today. I had one but i kept running into the loading problem, thinking it was my copy I through it aside. I tried this new copy and the same thing happened. Then i found this thread on the problem. Some of the info on fixes are a bit old so I was wondering if i could get some help with my system.

Windows XP Service Pack 2
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 2.2GHz
    2GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce Go 7600, 256mb

I hope thats enough info.

Also the links at the top for fixing AMD stuff are dead.

Thanks for the help
    Have you tried getting Service Pack 3, that saved mine after I had tried everything else.

I bought the game and was getting that same VIKTORIA Error Message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Exception 0xC0000005: Access Violation

and all that.
    I tried every fix I could find in all the different forums, and, one of my thoughts was that the specifications on it says that it should run on most video drivers. Mine being an onboard Intel Chipset, I thought a game that came out in 2003 certainly should run with that. At first, it did not.
    So, I tried to run it after a fresh install of it as an administrator and in Windows XP mode seeing that it came out in 2003 I thought maybe for some reason it was clashing with Vista.
    And it was, because, running it in Windows XP mode did the trick, runs like a charm now, for me.

I tried almost every fix before this including the alleged Dual-Processor conflict problem with no luck, thought I was screwed out of the $30 I paid for it, lol.

I got the same game on steam for 2.50 and I got a menu crash dont worry CD or Steam we all got bugs up are games..
    (My game crash when the menu sound comes on same as many)

(ADDing it to the DEP some times fixes it try it)

Here some info for the thread maker This fix only supports XP nothing ellse as the downloads say only works for XP...

Vista Not covered..