Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Eidos Games Archive > Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII - General Discussion - Archive

Old 04-24-2006, 06:51 PM
New Player

Exclamation FFVIII 8-bit Paletted Textures

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4010/ff8bug21an.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/114/ff8bug18gt.jpg

Alright, now.. WTF?

System Specifications:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 4800+ Toledo
Corsair 1GB DDR 233MHz
XFX Geforce 7800GTX Overclocked
Hitachi 320GB 15,000RPM SCSI Hard Drive
Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Gamer

Rivatuner, may not have the correct database for your driver. If they don't match up.... not everything works.

Second of all, I don't think FF8 need the 8bit pallet, anyway. Problem with FF8 is that it doesn't layer the backdrops correctly with today's video drivers/cards. You'll probalby see black squares around everything. or it will just look freaky. Software mode is the only thing that works in FF8.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:14 AM
New Player

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesixty
Rivatuner, may not have the correct database for your driver. If they don't match up.... not everything works.

Second of all, I don't think FF8 need the 8bit pallet, anyway. Problem with FF8 is that it doesn't layer the backdrops correctly with today's video drivers/cards. You'll probalby see black squares around everything. or it will just look freaky. Software mode is the only thing that works in FF8.
Well, that sucks because I was really looking forward to playing FF8 with 8xS Anti-Aliasing and 16x Anisotrophic filtering enabled.

As far as I know, the 8-bit palletted textures are just DDS files that tell the video card to look at black as "transparent", but newer cards can't do that and display the whole texture instead.

What's strange though, is that there was a patch for FF7 that took care of this, but there is no such patch for FF8.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:19 PM
New Player

So is there any way at all to fix this?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Gamer

6 series or above do not support 8-bit paletted textures in FF7 or FF8.
The information you got from RIVATUNER is not correct.

You can get better quality in FF8 with old GF4ti(AGP) or GF4MX(AGP or PCI).
Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 AM
New Player

Support for 8 bit palletted texture were dropped from nvidia 6000 series upward. At the same time, it was droipped from nvidia drivers.

There's a long topic about it here

A 8-bit patch was released for Final Fantasy 7 which most users report gets rid of the issue. Hence it seems logical FF8 should have a patch too. But i've not found one...or the author of the FF7 one. If we could find him, and convince him (or pay him off), we could get it working in no time...

Last edited by Belix; 01-18-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:25 PM
New Player

Default Easy 8 bit Paletted Texture Fix

So while it's true that video card manufacturers stopped supporting 8 bit paletted textures in most recent hardware/drivers, I believe most maintained the functionality of converting them to the 'appropriate' 16 or 32 bit palette and use them that way (or use a shader, as nVidia suggests, but I think that has to be coded into the game?). However it was only after various attempts to use glide wrappers and graphics card emulators that I realized this means that it probably wasn't the game itself keeping it from working on newer video cards. Just the config utility's need to auto-detect.

The problem is that the configuration utility scans for everything that needs support for from the video card to have hardware rendering work, and if just one isn't supported, it won't even let you select hardware rendering at all. Good thing just a little external config app does it and not the game itself or it this wouldn't work at all.

In this case, it's a function that (with newer nVidia cards at least it seems) isn't technically supported, but is worked around. However the config utility doesn't know this. Since there's no config or ini file for the settings to be found, I checked out the registry, and what do you know. There's registry entries for every option in the config utility. Some poking around made it apparent that it could work. Here's how to get it running.

* * * WARNING * * *
IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND YOU'RE EDITING THE REGISTRY, YOU COULD SEVERELY BREAK YOUR COMPUTER. THESE INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD NOT DO THIS WHEN FOLLOWED EXPLICITLY, HOWEVER STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED AND SOME PEOPLE HAVE FAT FINGERS AND DON'T PAY ATTENTION. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Open the FF7Config.exe utility and set everything up the way you want it, besides the rendering method. Screen Resolution/Color Depth, Sound, Midi, everything. You won't be able to open this utility again without resetting the changes you're about to make.

2. Click on Start -> Run... In the dialog that appears, enter the word "regedit" without the quotes, and click OK.

3. Navigate to the following folder on the left:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\Direct3D HAL

4. On the right, find the Value labeled "GUID" and double-click on it.

5. In the dialog that appears, right-click anywhere in the text field labeled "Value data:" and select "Select All". Right-click again on the highlighted text and select "Copy". Click Cancel.

6. Navigate to the following folder on the left:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Drivers\Graphics

(note, yours might say 1.01 instead of 1.00, or something)

7. On the right, find the Value labeled "DD_GUID" and double click on it.

8. In the dialog that appears, right-click anywhere in the text feild labeled "Value data:" and select "Select All". Right-click again on the highlighted text, and select "Paste". Now the data that was in the DD_GUID window should be replaced with what was in the Direct3D one. Click OK. Close the registry editor.

OK it should be working now. You can set your driver's application specific (or general) 3D settings to enhance the game further if you wish. Opening the FF7Config.exe from now on will reset the changes you just made (will set the value of DD_GUID back to it's former 00 00 00 00 ... state. This is a good thing, if it causes a problem). I've played around with changing the "Options" Value to something other than 0 (1, 2, 3, etc) but saw no noticeable change, so I'm not sure what it does.

Note that this worked for me, and might not for you. Your video card probably has to have support for converting the textures on the fly. I don't see what trying it out could hurt, but you never know. I don't think I left anything out. I'll edit it if I did. So again, be cautions, and don't say I didn't warn you, because I did.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 AM
New Player

Shall we assume, then, that you mean FFVIII? Because that's what we're talking about.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:25 PM
New Player

Also, you could go buy an older graphics card and downgrade your video drivers while you play it.

I play this on my old PC, which handles it fine.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 AM
New Player

Damn,no FF8 fix for this problem yet