Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider: Legend > Tomb Raider Legend Technical Forum

Old 04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
New Player

Unhappy Error:please insert the original disc instead of a backup(1000)

I've just installed and game won't play. Keep getting this error. Anyone else seen this error. The Tech Services won't answer the phone. .....and yes I am using an original game disk. Helllllppppp.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Gamer

Maybe you need to use a cleaner in your machine.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Gamer

That's very common for SecuRom games. Sucks, but all you can do is find a crack for it, or return it for a refund, if possible.

I've never understood how using copy protection that forces your paying customers to go deal with the "the pirates" for cracks to make it work for you solves anything. All it does is increase peoples "awarezness" and make them less likely to bother paying you next time.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Protagonist

People tells me
Quote:
Never argue with the data
and yet I still smack the computer-_-...( I don't literally smack it...I just get ticked by tehcnical issues...) this is why I'm a console kinda guy - -even if it sacrifices some graphic features I mean, as long as the game's still there.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1xp
That's very common for SecuRom games. Sucks, but all you can do is find a crack for it, or return it for a refund, if possible.

I've never understood how using copy protection that forces your paying customers to go deal with the "the pirates" for cracks to make it work for you solves anything. All it does is increase peoples "awarezness" and make them less likely to bother paying you next time.
Please dont speak about a subject you dont know about.

The reason peoples' "Awarezness" (stupid attempt at hiding the word warez) is there, is one simple explanation.

Greed and downright stealing.

And before people start responding with the usual crappy excuses. I shall list them.

1. "It cost too much, if it didnt I would buy it" - No you wouldnt, you would still steal it, and no prices didnt start piracy either, games when piracy started where from 1.99 upto 7.99. It was market stall people with dual cassette recorders who thought it fun to record them tape to tape and sell at a fraction of the price. Which is when some types of protections came in.

2. "I wasnt gonna buy it anyways, not like im hurting anyone by downloading it" - This is another stupid excuse, your a thief, not like I was gonna buy a ferrari either does it mean I should steal one? Idiots :P

3. "I was trying it out before I buy it" - Yeah right, im sure when you tried it out along with a trainer you finished it, now your gonna go out and buy it so what to finish again without a trainer. Do I look that gullible.

There is of course more excuses people try to use to try and make it seem ok to steal things, usually young kids to be honest and their now cheap broadband.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand
Please dont speak about a subject you dont know about.

The reason peoples' "Awarezness" (stupid attempt at hiding the word warez)
I know plenty about it. Don't you presume to know otherwise smart guy. It is SecuRom causing his problem. How much money you got to bet on it?

It was not an attempt at hiding the word at at all, and it is the exact reason why I know about all that warez junk at all. So that comment comes from experience...smart guy.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Gamer

Well Smart Guy...

Perhaps you can tell me what this means

FLID [EAX+4A]

?

As ive said countless time before, ive been there and know the score.

I focus on trainers now, but I admit I havent done any due to business being a priority. Dont believe me have a look elsewhere on the net, im sure you will find my trainers.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Gamer

I don't use trainers.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:52 AM
Gamer

Quote:
It was market stall people with dual cassette recorders who thought it fun to record them tape to tape and sell at a fraction of the price. Which is when some types of protections came in.
Then they realised that a) it didn't stop piracy and b) it screwed over their paying customers, so companies stopped using copy protection on their games. When I was a kid with a 48k Spectrum I hacked most of the games I bought to remove the copy protection because it was so annoying having to look up words in manuals or colors on cards (ever tried matching the color of a box on a card to a color on a screen... on a black and white TV?): if I could do it, then it sure wasn't worth bothering with, in most cases it took an hour or less.

Then for some reason over the last few years game publishers have decided that screwing over their paying customers is a good business plan. I guess it's one of those fads that comes and goes every decade or so: personally I'm getting tired of having to check what kind of copy protection a game runs and whether the copy protection will even work with my PC (many such systems barf when faced with a SCSI DVD drive) before I can buy it.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 AM
Gamer

I have two DVD drives on my PC (D: and E: ) I generally use the E: drive, as it's the top one and easier to get to..lol. Anyway, I installed TRL from the E: drive and got the same error message when i tried to play the game. I switched the disc to the D: drive and it started up no problem.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieman
Then they realised that a) it didn't stop piracy and b) it screwed over their paying customers, so companies stopped using copy protection on their games. When I was a kid with a 48k Spectrum I hacked most of the games I bought to remove the copy protection because it was so annoying having to look up words in manuals or colors on cards (ever tried matching the color of a box on a card to a color on a screen... on a black and white TV?): if I could do it, then it sure wasn't worth bothering with, in most cases it took an hour or less.

Then for some reason over the last few years game publishers have decided that screwing over their paying customers is a good business plan. I guess it's one of those fads that comes and goes every decade or so: personally I'm getting tired of having to check what kind of copy protection a game runs and whether the copy protection will even work with my PC (many such systems barf when faced with a SCSI DVD drive) before I can buy it.

Your name seems familiar movieman....

But to subject at hand about protections in the 80's, not at all, those color coded protections were nice and easy and didnt hurt anyone, from JSW and the 4 colors to start the game to the more advanced Laserlok and Lenslok the latter being perhaps a bit more complicated, especially if you lost the lens, but they did have a service you could call to get a replacement free (yes FREE - aslong as you sent in the game inlay card).

But what you fail to realise is, publishers and developers have no choice now but to protect their property with protections. And its those greedy people who copied games way back that started the trend. If many people didnt steal the games would there be a need for serious protections? Aha.

Plus protections really became serious when disk drives were invented for the 8bit machines, a fast readable source which could be read at any point, so thats when disc checking became routine.

Anyways there ya go.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1xp
I don't use trainers.

I didnt say you did.

I asked if you knew what the meaning of that line was. Since you said you know about these things.

Now ive sticked up for you in the past when people came down heavy on you, but since then ive noticed you go into threads where people were looking forward to playing Legends only for you to shoot them down (I think everyone remembers the "1hr to go" thread).

I only debate on threads where it is debated, I dont go in to incite flames or start arguments. Like my original reply here, it was a statement of what I read from your post, you came in with an attack. Im suprised actually you lasted this long on this forum, perhaps the mods are too busy?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryRapids
I have two DVD drives on my PC (D: and E: ) I generally use the E: drive, as it's the top one and easier to get to..lol. Anyway, I installed TRL from the E: drive and got the same error message when i tried to play the game. I switched the disc to the D: drive and it started up no problem.

Yeah like I said in another thread, some drives have problems, unfortunately things dont go 100% nowadays :\

All it takes is for one drive to be too sensitive and bam it stops installations on the slightest of scratches even microscopic.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:36 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSIII
I've just installed and game won't play. Keep getting this error. Anyone else seen this error. The Tech Services won't answer the phone. .....and yes I am using an original game disk. Helllllppppp.
I'm not sure why they even use SecureROM it's only a pain for the legit owner, the Hackers release N0-DVD or NO-CD patches for all the games within hours of release, it's a fact yet the company still is used for some reason, seems pointless.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:08 AM
New Player

Default What do you mean cleaner?

I've done the defrag and clean up process still no help.

Securom sent me trl.exe file and still won't run. New error states
error signature from trl.exe file

Securom responds with get back with publisher not their problem anymore. Any others with these messy errors. I am ready to return the game, and I can because Gamestop knows about this problem.

I thought I wanted this game but maybe not.
Thanks for all the responses so far.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:02 PM
New Player

Quote:
I thought I wanted this game but maybe not.

Ditto. What burns me is that the game was actually playing for me, but I had some sound stuttering. I upgraded my sound drivers, and when I went back to the game...I get the stupid Securom error. A reinstall didn't help.

If this is an insoluable problem I'll return the game too. I understand the need for protecting games and software from piracy, but I sure don't understand systems that drive away paying customers. What utter crap!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Had the same issue with two drives it would not install in the top drive but I poped it in the second DVD drive and it installed and played fine.
As for the copy protection. I have no problem with companys using it.
Don't blame the game company for protecting their property.
If you need someone to be furious at blame the thiefs that are to cheap to buy the game like the rest of us. If it wasn't for them Securom wouldn't even exist.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:50 PM
New Player

I just love threads like this. "your a thief" yet we run Stop signs, run red lights, cheat by lying on our taxes oh the list goes on and on. Give me a break and stop the "I'm better than you crap". Lol so you don't download games .. so? That makes you better how? You know what I am talking about so let it go. Sorry to tell you this but your just like EVERYONE else. Someone is always ready to shine that light on someone else as long as its not on them...

As for your problem MADSIII.. Just download a crack. There are people out there that make a crack for one reason and one reason only. Things like this. For people that HAVE the game and cant run it.
Later..

Last edited by Zeeblade; 04-23-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Gamer

Time to revisit this thread.

Errr cracks for people having problems running a game.... errr no - they are made mainly in the illegal distribution of games , but they can be used for that purpose you said, but that is not why cracks are made.

Shame seems tr1xp hasnt shown up since this last post he had. Was looking forward to his answer (made sure it wasnt easy to look for on yahoo or google)
Old 04-30-2006, 11:36 AM
New Player

Quote:

I had this problem too, and was getting pretty cranky about it.

The answer [from Secureom] was to update the firmware on my DVD-RW drive [it's a BenQ]. It was an easy download from the manufacturer...you might want to give that a shot...
Old 04-30-2006, 11:51 AM
New Player

I got this message too, but I just took the disc out, put it back in and it worked fine... please don't tell me it's all going to go horribley wrong tomo when i play again...

and what was the general consensus on what to do? update drivers?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:51 PM
New Player

Default NO cd

Every game I own has stayed in the case safe from dirt and scratches. I wonder if most people know that cd's have a "shelf life" of 7 years. "Burned" ones even less. I say more power to images and no cd cracks. Otherwise youll have angry consumers sayin screw you to the software companys when they have to buy a game twice to play(Did it with Daggerfall). They could solve the problem very easily, online decryption and registration. Or maybe they could start making games bigger and better, requiring 10+ dvd disks for game play. Who would want to sit and make images that long...you'd have more fun at mcdonalds workin to pay for the game. Content is a big issue with me wheither or not i buy it. Another thing that strikes me as odd as the responses to cracks and such are immediate and forthcoming but not the replies to technical problems for the game. Must be busy wankin it to there code. ohh well Patch it up
Old 04-30-2006, 07:00 PM
New Player

Default READ the message....READ the message....

Quote:
Originally Posted by computer illiterate
I got this message too, but I just took the disc out, put it back in and it worked fine... please don't tell me it's all going to go horribley wrong tomo when i play again...

and what was the general consensus on what to do? update drivers?
Like I said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token

The answer [from Secureom] was to update the firmware on my DVD-RW drive [it's a BenQ]. It was an easy download from the manufacturer...you might want to give that a shot...

Don't just update your video/audio drivers...check for other hardward upgrades. However if reinserting your DVD got you going again, maybe you won't have a problem.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Gamer

I am against copy protection for several reasons. The most obvious ones are that the CDs/DVDs with copy protections do not conform to the standards used to give them the names Compact Disc and Digital Versatile Disc (some call copy protected discs for fake-CDs for this purpose) and thus will not work on all drives, and then the crackers will circumvent the copy protection quickly.

Another reason is that, once crackers circumvent the copy protection on a piece of software, the resulting cracked product is more convenient than the original software, creating a disincentive to buying an original.

Another example is like with Neverwinter Nights. I played that ALOT online, and it got updated a lot. After playing the game for four years, a lot of people had problems with the CD. You can wear it out after much use. So they had to use 3rd party software to allow them to play the game without having the disc in, even though there is an online validation. Luckily, though, there came a patch that allowed you to play the game without needing the disc in eventually.

I have Half-Life 2. Valve used a different system to make sure people couldn't play illegal copies of the game called Steam. When Half-Life 2 was released, millions of players attempted to register their copies of the game simultaneously. This lead to an overload of Valve's servers and temporarily denied legitimate customers access to their purchased game. And I have recently gotten a new computer. I want to play HL2 on it, but after all the problems and annoying stuff I ran into using Steam, I have come to dislike it so much that I frankly don't want to go through the hassle of installing it and registering it on a new computer again through Steam.

And someone mentioned that computer piracy was the same as stealing. Legally, it is not the same. This is why there is a different term used; piracy. The term "stealing" or "theft" implies taking something from the legitimate owner. Meaning that they will lose what you steal (if you copy something, they still have their copy, ergo it is not theft). This doesn't make it right, but let's just not mix up the terminology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_protection

Last edited by Nightmist; 05-01-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
New Player

Quote:
My guess is that the game is looking for a Primary Drive instead of a slave. I did the same thing, put the game on my secondary drive and that's the message I got.