Thread: Technical difficulties

Exclamation Technical difficulties

I bought the game a couple days ago, and now when im trying to play, I get this message: "Original disc could not be found or authenticated". what can I do to fix this?

Itís possible this could be a SecuRom issue. The piracy protection on the disk may be causing the problem, because it thinks you have a pirated copy. If you have multiple CD/DVD-Rom drives on your system, uninstall the game, and reinstall from another drive. Also try updating the firmware for your CD/DVD-Rom drive(s). If you have any CD/DVD write/copy programs on your system, make sure they are completely shut down, as they are known to cause these problems.

Rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jebus
    Itís possible this could be a SecuRom issue. The piracy protection on the disk may be causing the problem, because it thinks you have a pirated copy. If you have multiple CD/DVD-Rom drives on your system, uninstall the game, and reinstall from another drive. Also try updating the firmware for your CD/DVD-Rom drive(s). If you have any CD/DVD write/copy programs on your system, make sure they are completely shut down, as they are known to cause these problems.
    That's a laugh. 60% of all PC owners have more than one drive, on legal, everyday home PC's. So because I have a DVD/CD-RW and a second CD-ROM, I'M A PIRATE?!?!?!

I'm being treated like a criminal when I buy your game, install it and find out that it has more protection than the Pentagons entire database and it won't allow me to play the game that I JUST installed from the same flippin CD's in the retail packaging!!!! JUST BECAUSE I HAVE TWO OPTICAL DRIVES!!!???

You, Eidos, are creating pirates when you force paying customers, such as myself, to go out to these flee-bitten warez sites to find a solution FOR A RETAIL COPY OF SOFTWARE that WE PAYED FOR!!!

I hope one day one of you overpaid executives buys a car, gets in the driver seat, puts the key only to hear an audible message... "Sorry, please insert the original key." just so you can feel that sting of rage and frustration that comes with being slapped with a situation that has no resolve when the dealership tells you that you need to sell your other two cars, because your new car thinks you're a car thief because you have one too many autos on the driveway.

By the way, I've dealt with your support system, I suspect your canned reply will be emailed to me within then next six months. I have two optical drives, an ASUS 50x CD-ROM and a LG DVD-CD/RW that doesn't even recognize your product. So your canned solution of uninstalling and reinstalling on another drive doesn't help, since my second drive doesn't see the discs at all. I refuse to go hunting for some firmware update for my drives, since I have never had a problem with any other products with either drive.

This is your problem, not mine. A decent solution to this "Please insert the original disc" error needs to be found, or I fear you may start losing paying customers if you keep treating them like pirates. [mod edit]I'm sorry, we don't allow this, even though we understand your frustration.[/mod edit]

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by sick; 10-08-2005 at 11:19 AM.

I agree with you that SecuROM is complete you know what I mean, Movie-Freak. You're not the first one who got frustrated by this anti-pirate software, it happened to me too. If I was Eidos, I would use another protection, but hey, I'm not Eidos.

Quote Originally Posted by sick
    I agree with you that SecuROM is complete you know what I mean, Movie-Freak. You're not the first one who got frustrated by this anti-pirate software, it happened to me too. If I was Eidos, I would use another protection, but hey, I'm not Eidos.
    So you have the same problem? Or did you find a fix?
    Last edited by sick; 10-08-2005 at 12:33 PM.

Found a fix for my setup, removing my DVD/CD-RW burner. Thankfully I have a backup CD-ROM, but its still a bunch of BS that they wouldn't have caught this flaw in beta or quality control before it went gold.

Now I have to see what happens when I plug my burner back in... crossing my fingers as I type...

There is a very easy work-around for this problem. First you need to run the SecuRom analysis tool on your system. In order to generate the analysis file, please do the following:

1) Place the original Total Overdose disk 1 in your CD/DVD-Rom.
    2) Re-boot the computer.
    3) Open My Computer, C: Drive, Program Files, Eidos, Total Overdose. Right-click on the TOD.exe file. (It has an icon resembling a skull)
    4) Choose "Launch Analysis" from the choices and left-click.
    5) A disclaimer window will appear.
    6) To proceed, please click on the "Yes" button.
    7) The application will now generate an "AnalysisLog.sr0" file within the root of your hard drive.
    8) Please "zip" the file (to avoid email corruption) and e-mail it to Support@securom.com with the subject line "Analysis file for evaluation."

SecuRom will then analyze the file for you, and respond with a fix. Usually they simply create a new TOD.exe file which you can download from their website. Replace the existing TOD.exe with the new file. Problem solved, now we can all sleep at night.

~JJ

There is a very easy work-around for this problem. First you need to run the SecuRom analysis tool on your system. In order to generate the analysis file, please do the following:

1) Place the original Total Overdose disk 1 in your CD/DVD-Rom.
    2) Re-boot the computer.
    3) Open My Computer, C: Drive, Program Files, Eidos, Total Overdose. Right-click on the TOD.exe file. (It has an icon resembling a skull)
    4) Choose "Launch Analysis" from the choices and left-click.
    5) A disclaimer window will appear.
    6) To proceed, please click on the "Yes" button.
    7) The application will now generate an "AnalysisLog.sr0" file within the root of your hard drive.
    8) Please "zip" the file (to avoid email corruption) and e-mail it to Support@securom.com with the subject line "Analysis file for evaluation."

SecuRom will then analyze the file for you, and respond with a fix. Usually they simply create a new TOD.exe file which you can download from their website. Replace the existing TOD.exe with the new file. Problem solved, now we can all sleep at night.

~JJ
    Hi, i had the same problem. I have done the above. How long does it take them to reply with a comment to my email?

When I send AnalysisLog files to SecuRom I usually have a response within 24 hours. How long have you been waiting?

~JJ

When I send AnalysisLog files to SecuRom I usually have a response within 24 hours. How long have you been waiting?

~JJ
    I just got a reply from one of the SecuROM guys, and he said to me below, but no fix! Did he send you a fix? If so, can you like upload it on here so people can download it please? ...

Hi,I checked your analysis file and it seems that you or some installed tool (eg. virtual-cd hide) blocked the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevices registry key.
    Unblocking of the registry key or deactivation of the tool will allow you to play the game!

Unfortunately I can't just post a new SecuRom .exe file for security reasons. However, if you run that SecuRom analysis again and e-mail directly to me, I'll forward to SecuRom on your behalf and see what I can come up with. E-mail me at ABraswell@eidos.com.

~JJ

Unfortunately I can't just post a new SecuRom .exe file for security reasons. However, if you run that SecuRom analysis again and e-mail directly to me, I'll forward to SecuRom on your behalf and see what I can come up with. E-mail me at ABraswell@eidos.com.

~JJ
    I sent you an email with the analysis file. Thanks

Default The Truth

That is absurd that you have to do that when you buy the NEW GAME! I want to write thousands of profanity words on this forum because Eidos doesn't know what CUSTOMERS are. Next time, don't bother making games if they have all of this unreasonable security, you do this so that you won't lose money, but in turn you will lose customers who get pissed off about your bad planning for new games, thus losing money because nobody wants to buy something they CANT PLAY! Who are you to tell me that I cannot play this game because I use DVD's to backup my computer files. The person who invented/suggested this SecuROM crap should be fired on the spot. They better send me a fix ASAP. I am never buying another Eidos game, so I never have to put up with this crap ever again.
    Last edited by @m; 10-27-2005 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aecyin
    Next time, don't bother making games if they have all of this unreasonable security

Well then I suppose all companies should stop making games then. It is normal that they want to protect their product, at least they're not using starforce Personally I've never had any problems with security, I guess I must be lucky. As for Eidos not caring about it's customers, if they didn't then why did Jumping_Jebus posted here with help?

I am never buying another Eidos game, so I never have to put up with this crap ever again.
    Well I suggest you stop gaming altogether then as it's not someone that will go away. At least they're doing something to help.

re: your ps, you might want to cool of a few days.

Aecyin, did you even attempt the procedure I posted above? If you haven't yet, I highly recommend that you do. In the 3+ years we have been using SecuRom software, the support team at SecuRom have never failed coming up with a fix for individual customers problems.

Also, what @m said is absolutely correct. You are simply not going to find a game publisher not protecting their software in this day and age. The game industry loses billions of dollars every year from software piracy. Don't blame game companies for having to protect their copyrighted software. Blame the software pirates out there selling illegal copies. I mean think about it, if you spent $10-$20 million dollars developing a game...wouldn't you want to protect it any way you could? Lets be real here...

Let me know if you want any further assistance in fixing this problem.

~JJ
    Last edited by Jumpin_Jebus; 10-27-2005 at 09:56 AM.

Default Project Snowblind and Securom

First, apologies for not being able to offer a solution here... but I do have a few comments.

I also am having the same problem with Project Snowblind and am also appalled by the fact that I have an original, purchased disc in my drive and it won't run the program after installation.

I've read some of the comments from the "support" people here and I find the attitude sad. For the record, I was a video game and professional software developer as early as 1985 and know all about the pains of being a developer and losing revenue to pirates. HOWEVER, I also know as a business person with a solid MBA education that it's completely inappropriate to inconvenience loyal, paying customers who are trying to use your product for the sake of copy protection. A proper solution needs to be found which places the customer as paramount, yet still protects EIDOS as much as possible from software theft. Regardless of what you may say, EIDOS has made a serious mistake and there's simply no justification for what you have put your customers through with these errors. We shouldn't need to spend hours searching the web to try to understand what's going on, and then perhaps days or weeks waiting for a solution. I have not read one customer feedback message here that is being unreasonable in their expectations.

Unfortunately there are many companies that spend more time defending their mistakes than channeling the energy into finding a fast solution. Like others here, I do not expect to dismantle my hardware (i.e. removing drives) or expend a minute on having to deal with the Securom issue. It should be transparent to me. I just want to install the game and enjoy it.

If you don't find a fix, I agree with everyone else that I will discontinue any future support of EIDOS in addition to posting my discontent on as many web forums and professional game review sites as possible. Everyone will know about your copy protection / customer service issues and perhaps then you'll do something about it when your sales revenue is affected.

I recommend you issue a patch immediately before others find more creative ways of making your software work that may not be in your best interests.

Hi Comic,

As stated in previous posts within this very thread, SecuRom has come up with a fix for the end users having trouble with the copy protection. All they need to do is contact us or SecuRom regarding the problem and the end user will be sent a link to a patch provided by SecuRom that fixes their issue. Now, I'm going to close this thread as I see no point in continuing the conversation when there hadn't been a post here in almost 2 months. Sorry for if I'm stepping on any toes or hurting any one's ego. A fix was made for this problem as soon as the first customer reported it to us. Lets move on shall we? Happy Holidays!

~JJ