Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowblind and Graphic card issues (update)

Default Snowblind and Graphic card issues (update)

Theres been reports of issues on nVidia hardware whilst running their current latest driver 71.84.

We have spoken with nVidia who have looked at the issue, and say they will fix the issue in their next driver revision which is due soon they assure me. Beta 71.88 onwards fixes the issue.

We are working on the Radeon issue too
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1255523/ <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Unhappy Game Crashes ATI 9600

I have a radeon 9600 with the latest catalyst driver and this game keeps on crashing about 5-10 minutes into it. Win XP pro directX 9.0c I already tried unchecking "enable full screen affects" but that didn't help. When will there be a patch fixing this issue? Thank you. Nathaniel

Where can one download the 71.88 Beta drivers?

that explains why Eidos is going down the crap hole! well, it's more of Crystal Dynamic's fault. their R&D team should've caught these problems before Eidos published and shipped this game. i wonder why the xbox version doesnt have any kinds of problems like the pc version? and it took almost 4 weeks after the xbox version for the pc version to be available.

Quote Originally Posted by DXman
    that explains why Eidos is going down the crap hole! well, it's more of Crystal Dynamic's fault. their R&D team should've caught these problems before Eidos published and shipped this game. i wonder why the xbox version doesnt have any kinds of problems like the pc version? and it took almost 4 weeks after the xbox version for the pc version to be available.
    Yeah, the game plays fine overall on the xbox version (which is the one I own) but the sound is 90 degrees off center for those who have is connected to a surround-sound system. Otherwise, all of the main sounds (like shooting, guys yelling, talking) all come out of the right speaker in stereo mode. I like the game other wise, but don't feel left out 'cause you own the pc edition, the other versions have problems, too.

Default patch for pc

radeon user here. please give us a time frame on patch, it's been a month!

Quote Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    Theres been reports of issues on nVidia hardware whilst running their current latest driver 71.84.

We have spoken with nVidia who have looked at the issue, and say they will fix the issue in their next driver revision which is due soon they assure me. Beta 71.88 onwards fixes the issue.

We are working on the Radeon issue too
    I have the latest beta version of Nvidias drivers that was released on the 7th of this month, the game still crashes but the menu corruption/locking up are gone.

1 bug down and 1 to go....

Download 71.89 whql nvidia driver.
    The game run juste fine here !

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1038

Default Error Message

I'm not certain if this will help, but this is the message that I get whenever the game crashes.

Exception at: 13/04/2005 at 04:11:10
    Exception code: Access violation (c0000005): (Write to address: 0x02862250)
    Exception address: 0x4fe7725b

CPU info:
    ---------
    EAX = 0x00000090
    EBX = 0x01923d80
    ECX = 0x00000024
    EDX = 0x01938724
    ESI = 0x0032f284
    EDI = 0x02862250
    EIP = 0x4fe7725b
    ESP = 0x0032f1cc
    EBP = 0x0032f1fc

I am running a P4 3.2G processor
    1G RAM
    Nvidia 6800 PCI Express
    Sound Blaster Audigy Z2
    WinXP Ser. Pack 2
    Lots of angst
    Fullscreen effects are off
    Screen res is lowest
    Tolerance is at it lowest (My tolerance)

I would appreciate ANY help to make this friggin game do what I paid forty dollars for it to do on a two thousand dollar machine.

Please have those people who are supposed to be making a patch for this game to stop staring at 15 year old centerfolds of Lara Croft and get back to work, durnit.

Thanks in advance,

Smoker

Default Radeon game crashes

Well, eidos feedback to my support request was:
    #1) Uncheck "enable fullscreen effects" which I had already told them I had done.
    #2) revert back to catalyst driver 5.1 or 5.2 (that would be great except I know that would mean "Republic Commando" would not work anymore I know from experience and that doesn't seem to be a good answer to something that seems to need a patch seeing many radeon users are having this trouble

#3) laptops are not supported by Snowblind because: "(laptops are not supported on the game box)... they are not considered gaming systems." Well, I disagree with this as for sometime many lines of laptops have been sold with gaming in mind as a main function. So they suggest I return the game as if anyone can return an opened game to 99% of retailers as is my case.

They made no reference to any work being done on a patch to fix this issue. I was interested to see the following post in a different forum thread that I'm quoting below which suggests there is work being done to address this with a patch but I can't be sure.
    "Have you tried the demo? it has got a fix in it for the ATI cards which would be useful to know if it helps your stability.. if that works we know we on right foot for a fix for full game"
    Last edited by ntblood; 04-13-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabid_treefrog
    I have to say, this must be the slowest forthcomming patch i've ever seen. I'll be honest, i'm very tempted to call the Az Attorney Generals Office for help. As far as i'm concerned this is theft. If a person pays for a computer program, opens it, finds out that allthough they meet or exceed the requirements for the program, yet can't play it, they still can't return it. So to me this is a form of theft. Eidos needs to give us more info then "we're looking into the problems w/ radeon cards." Also, why should nividia users have to get a new driver update from nividia rather then eidos fixing the problem w/ THEIR code? Sounds to me like someone is trying to pass the buck and not own up to their responsability to the consumers who purchase their product. When a person spends $40 on something like this they expect it to work properly, and if it's not they expect prompt repair of the problem, not open ended replys from the company that gives neither relife nor suggested timeline of a fix.
    Drivers can make massive differences to how games run, look at doom3, on release it sucked on ATI, then, miraculously, new drivers from ATI appeared and it suddenly was fine.

When big games are launched its not unusual to see new drivers released in conjunction with it.. Week snowblind was released so was Splinter Cell, and new drivers.. Unfortunately what worked for Splinter Cell didnt work for us, basically something we could do in the old drivers either became defunct or was not as efficient in the new drivers. We dont control the drivers, however the moment we realised there was an issue, we got in touch with the driver dev teams and got code to them for them to look directly at the issue.

Obviously as we dont control these dev teams we cannot advise when the updated fixed drivers will be released. They release `beta` versions but sometimes not all fixes go into beta drivers until the final official release.

Hope this helps a little in explaining the situation and that you are not just being ignored etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    Drivers can make massive differences to how games run, look at doom3, on release it sucked on ATI, then, miraculously, new drivers from ATI appeared and it suddenly was fine.

When big games are launched its not unusual to see new drivers released in conjunction with it.. Week snowblind was released so was Splinter Cell, and new drivers.. Unfortunately what worked for Splinter Cell didnt work for us, basically something we could do in the old drivers either became defunct or was not as efficient in the new drivers. We dont control the drivers, however the moment we realised there was an issue, we got in touch with the driver dev teams and got code to them for them to look directly at the issue.

Obviously as we dont control these dev teams we cannot advise when the updated fixed drivers will be released.

Do you think it would be possible for your own dev team to take a look at your GAME's code and try to make it work with the CURRENT DRIVERS?? That IS what's involved when you create a PATCH, yes? Also, if the new video drivers are supposed to make it all better, and since your dev team worked so closely with them when you made the game, do you think it might be possible to maybe give em a call and ask for a tentative release date?

You have got to understand where we are coming from. We bought your product. We opened your product, therefore, we can not return said product. Your product does not function as advertised. I think we've been pretty freaking understanding, so far.

We live in a society where our basic needs are taken for granted. We don't need to worry about where our next meal comes from, we don't need to worry about freezing due to lack of clothing, and we don't (for the most part) have to worry about a roof over our collective heads. That leaves us only one thing to worry about: ENTERTAINMENT. We worry about this a lot. It's the only thing our society looks forward to. Now, Eidos, on the other hand, should worry about what consumers think about it's products. You truly have a winner in this game. POTENTIALLY. Your lack of support is what is dooming this game. The designers don't want this, the administrators don't want this, and you can bet my tiny little paycheck that the consumers don't want this.

We're not asking for much, just entertainment. We already paid, now we want the product.

Smoker

Default Interesting: crashes on both cards, sound stutters to crash

This is a quote from my thread from "renier8" :
    I was desperate to play the game. I have a 2nd machine with a Geforce 4 TI4200 in it. The very same error occurs. I play about 10-25 minutes and then the sound crashes and keeps on repeating / stuttering, and then the whole game crashed to the desktop.
    So that is an Nvidia and an ATI card that crashes - both on Pentium 4 machines with 512 mb ram.
    This is really a great pitty.
    It raises a question: on which cards does it actually work?
    Is there someone with the above mentioned cards that got it to work ?
    I am just trying to find out if it is my video cards or something else that is causing the problem.
    Renier
    --------------------------
    Now me:
    I was surprised to find the other day that my driver wasn't the newest Catalyst so I loaded up the new one and now I'm having the same crash as you describe, the sound stutters then the crash.
    Also, not that it matters much, but it seems the crash doesn't happen nearly as quickly if I have Checked "enable fullscreen effects" in the game setup.
    Nathan

Hello. Im having a the same crashing problem with my graphics card. Its a nvidia go 5200. I was wondering if there was a way to change the settings on the game like the resolution or details. I tried looking for it in the main game options but i cant find it.

Default Yes & A little Info on a Patch

Yeah there is. If you go to Start > All programs > Eidos > Snowblind > there is "setup" which you can run.
    --------------
    I got this info from a Eidos support tech.:
    "Thank you for your message. I've been told Crystal Dynamics is working on a patch, but as to what exactly it will fix, I have no idea. It's possible the problem could fixed in the next ATI driver release as well."
    Thought I'd share. -N

Thanks for the instructions so what are the best settings for the setup? should i be running bilinear or trilinear?

for a 5200, I would stick with bilinear

Quote Originally Posted by Smoker6
    You really have some anger issues, there, Veng. Maybe some therapy, might I suggest?
    im not angry at all, im jsut sick of every post on this forum having to do with bithcing, they get the point, they are hopefully working on it, next time do your research before you buy a game. suggesting me therapy is the stupidest thing to say since you have no idea how i am reacting to a situation. all you can do is assume, which will get you no where, and to be honest im sitting here laughing my ass off, as none of you waited for a demo. for thepeople that like it im glad, it seems like a good game. and if you all would see that someone else talks about the same problem, dont adress it 50 more times on the forum, youmake a specific tread so iand others do not have to waste time. as well if you came to this forum to read before you bought hte game you would have realized not to buy it.

anyways my 2 cents peace

Quote Originally Posted by Smoker6
    Do you think it would be possible for your own dev team to take a look at your GAME's code and try to make it work with the CURRENT DRIVERS?? That IS what's involved when you create a PATCH, yes? Also, if the new video drivers are supposed to make it all better, and since your dev team worked so closely with them when you made the game, do you think it might be possible to maybe give em a call and ask for a tentative release date?

You have got to understand where we are coming from. We bought your product. We opened your product, therefore, we can not return said product. Your product does not function as advertised. I think we've been pretty freaking understanding, so far.

We live in a society where our basic needs are taken for granted. We don't need to worry about where our next meal comes from, we don't need to worry about freezing due to lack of clothing, and we don't (for the most part) have to worry about a roof over our collective heads. That leaves us only one thing to worry about: ENTERTAINMENT. We worry about this a lot. It's the only thing our society looks forward to. Now, Eidos, on the other hand, should worry about what consumers think about it's products. You truly have a winner in this game. POTENTIALLY. Your lack of support is what is dooming this game. The designers don't want this, the administrators don't want this, and you can bet my tiny little paycheck that the consumers don't want this.

We're not asking for much, just entertainment. We already paid, now we want the product.

Smoker
    Drivers are out today..

Quote Originally Posted by rabid_treefrog
    My patients are running very thin. So Eidos here it is, I have contacted the Attorney Generals Office in Arizona, it is 0500 on 14APR2005, You have 48 hours to give us notice as to a tenative date for the needed patch to run the program or I will go ahead with legal preceedings.
    Have you tried the DEMO? this has code in it which will hopefully form the basis of the patch, however if you dont try it we wont know if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblood

#3) laptops are not supported by Snowblind because: "(laptops are not supported on the game box)... they are not considered gaming systems." Well, I disagree with this as for sometime many lines of laptops have been sold with gaming in mind as a main function. So they suggest I return the game as if anyone can return an opened game to 99% of retailers as is my case.
    "
    Thats an old support/help desk trick to get you off the phone. Its normally used by 3rd party support companies when they run into a problem they know can't be addressed or is too hard to diagnose and the main company doesn't want to admit liability (it's expensive to to have to refund peoples money ya see...).

People in the support companies get promoted by way of getting more tech calls logged in and completed. Just as long as they can record the call in the logs they'll charge it to the company they're doing support for thereby making a profit for doing absolutely nothing. In your case you gave them a way to weasel out by telling them it was a laptop. It being a laptop has absolutely nothing to do with the software environment. Next time give them your system specs and thats it, dont tell them its a notebook.

Default Well, half is better than nothing... almost.

Got the new Nvidia drivers. I can't beleive the difference in graphic quality that fullscreen effects makes!! On the other hand, I'M STILL CRASHING BACK TO DESKTOP AT RANDOM POINTS IN THE GAME. This is one the greatest, coolest MOST FRUSTRATING THINGS IN THE WORLD. I can't even play multiplayer for more than 15 minutes. That 15 minutes looks beautiful, though. It's like the smoke from the bombs, guns, is everywhere. Like you're really there, then reality hits you over the head with a softball bat by crashing you back to desktop.

*sigh* Guess I'll go play some more Unreal 2004 until it gets fixed.

Smoker

LOL Well guys i can say that this game does work on some video cards,but only if u have an elite card. I had to finish the game on my co -workers' computer. He has a amd 64 chip 2.2gig processor and a ATI RAEDON 256 mb video card and a 1 gig memory. So this proves that the game can be finish without a single crash on certain cards. But i still understand the anger that most of the people with ordinary video cards have. The game still crashes on my nvidia go 5200 even with the new drivers. Maybe they will make a patch soon if not, do like me and finish it on a (super computer) or off the ps2. I guess i not so fustrated about this game any more because well.... i dont buy games in the first place and i just finished it and the ending sucks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trugamer232
    LOL Well guys i can say that this game does work on some video cards,but only if u have an elite card. I had to finish the game on my co -workers' computer. He has a amd 64 chip 2.2gig processor and a ATI RAEDON 256 mb video card and a 1 gig memory. So this proves that the game can be finish without a single crash on certain cards. But i still understand the anger that most of the people with ordinary video cards have. The game still crashes on my nvidia go 5200 even with the new drivers. Maybe they will make a patch soon if not, do like me and finish it on a (super computer) or off the ps2. I guess i not so fustrated about this game any more because well.... i dont buy games in the first place and i just finished it and the ending sucks!!!
    Ok, so I was in Wal-Mart after reading some good things about SnowBlind so I decided to buy it. I get home and do some additional research on these forums and see people complaining about how the game doesn't work and so on and so forth which made me almost return the game to get my money back since it was unopened. Well, I decided I would give it a spin just to see for myself. I loaded the game up on two of my home network PCs and not only does the game work great, but it is fun as hell. Thank god I didn't listen to all the people complaning! My son is playing it on my other PC right now having a blast!

Anyways, My PC specs are:

Athlon64 3500+ AthlonXP 3200+
    K8T890 Chipset KT880 Chipset
    1 Gig 3200 DDR 1 Gig 3200DDR
    Nvidia 6800GT Nvidia 6600GT
    Audigy Soundcard Audigy Soundcard
    VIA HYPERION ALL-IN-ONE 4.56
    Nvidia ForceWare Drivers 71.89 WHQL Official Release

I now understand why alot of developers shy away from PC games and develop exclusively for consoles.

It is a fun game. I like how they stole the gravity gun technic from half life 2 plus the visuals are amazing. I hope they make a patch for it or a update i might play it again if they fix the errors. I notice that you describe your video card. so i believe now that if someone wants to play the game without flaws they must have a 128- 256 mb video card

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast