Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pc dvd-rom version unplayable

Default pc dvd-rom version unplayable

Just bought the game on dvd-rom. Installed it. Can't get past the intro--slows to a stumble and crawl, to say the least, has like 256 colors or something, and won't proceed at that rate to anything playable. Uninstalled it, reinstalled it and it is if anything even worse.

My specs: Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0, 512 333 DDR, Athlon XP 3000+ at 2.2 gHz, and nVidia 6800 128mb gpu.

What gives here?

We have seen problems similar to this on some of our other games. Some users have reported that updating their motherboard drivers has helped fix this problem. Contact your computer manufacturer, or your motherboard manufacturer if you are not sure how to update its software.

Also make sure you install the latest Nvidia driver from www.Nvidia.com.

Good luck!

~Jebus

I have played all the Eidos games with this mainboard without problems, as well as other games--just finished Star Wars: Republic Commandos [although they were not dvd-rom, from Eidos anyway]. I have "no updates to the mainboard's bios available." I have the absolutely latest official driver updates to the gpu, as well as to the sound component and other mainboard drivers--it's an nVidia chipset board. I have DirectX9.0c installed, and dxdiag says "no problems found." Windows Hardware Wizard says it cannot find any better dvd drivers than the ones already installed. The disc surface is in AAA+++ condition.

Nevertheless, when I just let the game run whatever way it will, when I get to the copyright blurb, suddenly it behaves as though I have a 100mHz cpu and 8 mb of ram. It will proceed, once the option for single player becomes available, but in similar fashion, graphically, and the sound is extremely spotty and intermittent.

There is nothing I can do about my system--it's in very good condition and meets the recommended specs for Snowblind. So I guess I will have to take it back to the store and try to get a refund. <sigh>

I'm experiencing the same problem. I can view the eidos/crystal dynamics graphics with no problem and the same with the intro. However, as soon as I get to the Copyright screen where the cursor becomes visible, I experience a significant slowdown in performance. So much so that the game is unplayable.

I've updated my graphics drivers, d/l'ed the latest version of direct x and I'm quite sure my computer meets the minimum play requirements. Are there any other solutions to this problem?

Grey Mouser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jEj
    I'm experiencing the same problem. I can view the eidos/crystal dynamics graphics with no problem and the same with the intro. However, as soon as I get to the Copyright screen where the cursor becomes visible, I experience a significant slowdown in performance. So much so that the game is unplayable.

I've updated my graphics drivers, d/l'ed the latest version of direct x and I'm quite sure my computer meets the minimum play requirements. Are there any other solutions to this problem?

All I can say is...pretty weird. I have personally played Snowblind PC on over 40 radically different systems, and not seen anything like what you are describing.

Overclocking? Don't.
    Using really cheap RAM? Don't.
    Using a 'demo' copy? Don't. The 'real disc' might magically solve your issue. Have more than one CD/CD-RW/DVD drive? Try uninstalling the game from the one you installed from, and instrall from a different drive on the system.
    Made REALLY SURE you have the latest motherboard drivers for your ASUS? Good.
    Made REALLY SURE that installing said drivers did not reset numerous settings to defaults? If not, double-check...for example, experiment with the AGP driver port settings to begin with...lots of other stuff to check too...

Made REALLY SURE YOU INSTALLED THE LATEST VID CARD DRIVERS... CORRECTLY? If not, try or so. Still no go? Try, try again.

Additionally: What type of power supply are you using? Some are better than others. 350 Watts may not cut it on some high-end systems, especially with newer games, that stress vid cards (and the rest of your system) in ways they have not yet been thouroughly field-tested. Lack of power can cause trouble even on non-gaming-dedicated systems.

As it sounds like the opening movies are playing fine, then when the game engine itself is trying to start (using Direct3D, not an FMV file) is where you are (likely) getting the issue. This pretty much precludes the possibility of a bad disc or installation problem (unless you received errors during installation).

Keep us posted.

Default Actually...

I've got an even wierder problem - although I've seen it crop up on two-three other forums of late: as the game's loading up...heading for the company logos and such, I imagine...it hangs, then suffers a fatal crash and restarts my computer!

According to the other blokes in the forums, it's to do with the latest official nVidia drivers, 71.84's.

My system specs are below.

Yours,
    Fester

AMD 3500+ Winchester (stock speeds/voltages)
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, official BIOS 1.50
    2x512 Mb OCZ PC 3200 Platinum, rev. 2
    PC Power & Cooling 510 Express
    BFG 6800GT, AGP, stock speed, 71.84 drivers
    Plextor 716A (1.04u firmware)
    NEC 3520A (latest firmware)
    WinXP Pro, Media Center Edition, all current updates
    Rig Of The Moment:

MSI K8N Neo2, 1.50 bios
    AMD 3500+ Winchester
    BFG 6800GT AGP
    2 x 512Mb OCZ 3200 Plat., rev. 2
    :p

Default Video Driver Update

I've just tried the latest betas ("76.10"); second verse, same as the first.

Yours,

Henry the Eighth (I Am)
    Rig Of The Moment:

MSI K8N Neo2, 1.50 bios
    AMD 3500+ Winchester
    BFG 6800GT AGP
    2 x 512Mb OCZ 3200 Plat., rev. 2
    :p

One thing I got from a customer earlier today... Go into the Project: Snowblind setup utility from the Windows Start menu, and uncheck "Enable Fullscreen Effects". Said customer told me it did fix the problems he was seeing, and he is running a 6800 card. Hopefully this works, good luck!

~Jebus

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jebus
    One thing I got from a customer earlier today... Go into the Project: Snowblind setup utility from the Windows Start menu, and uncheck "Enable Fullscreen Effects". Said customer told me it did fix the problems he was seeing, and he is running a 6800 card. Hopefully this works, good luck!

~Jebus
    This fixed my problem immediately. Thanks very much. I very much enjoy the game. Needs more people online, though

hmmm, is the Full Screen special effects done trough pixel shading? does it disable the blur effects?

I'm not exactly sure what turning off the Full Screen FX will do on the 6000 series GeForce cards. I have so far been unable to get my hands on a 6600 or 6800 so I can recreate the problem. I will make sure that the appropriate people within Eidos and Crystal Dynamics are informed of the problem though.

~Jebus

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jebus
    I'm not exactly sure what turning off the Full Screen FX will do on the 6000 series GeForce cards. I have so far been unable to get my hands on a 6600 or 6800 so I can recreate the problem. I will make sure that the appropriate people within Eidos and Crystal Dynamics are informed of the problem though.

~Jebus
    We tested this on 6800's and had no issue with FSE on and off.

I am in contact with nVidia to find out if theres something in this new driver that may be causing the Pixel shader implementation on the 6800 series to be going awry..
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1255523/ <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

I appreciate the help Jason! I actually just got my hands on a system running a 6800. It only took 5 months of begging crying and making threats! I'm going to play around with P: Snowblind a bit and report back here. Thanks man!

~Jebus

Red face Might have found the Nvidia 6800 "problem"

Not sure if this will help guys but my friend and I have very close specs. We both own Dells but the difference is he has a 6800 and I've got a 6800 GT OC. Could the issue be 6800 GT "OC" specific? Could the overclocking default on these cards manufactured by BFG Technologies be the real bug here? Someone else mentioned that they had a 6800 GT OC here and was having this problem. The bug may be very well be in this type of card. Any thoughts from those who are having this problem like me??? I'm seeing the same as you that the menu pages takes 20 to 40 seconds to try to rebuild, the mouse cursor is frozen as it tries to rebuilt the next image and is impossible to play.

its a driver problem

basically any 7x.xx driver series for nvidia video cards make the game unplayable when full screen effects are turned on, while it seems that any 6x.xx series (i tested the 66.93) work just fine with full screen effects

HOWEVER, the NEWEST beta detonator drivers work for me EVEN with full screen effects turned on

you can download them here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1022

this should fix everyone's problem..

by the way, im using a geforce 6800

Well, it seems that people with 6600s and 6800s find problems of this type with the game, and I assume that people have cards from different manufacturers, so it is not a feature of any particular card. And of course, like me, other games and other apps work just fine with the cards, and the drivers each has installed. If people finding problems with the game had poorly installed drivers, they would find problems with things besides this game.

So it seems that it is a problem, not so much with the drivers by themselves, but with the drivers as they relate to this particular game. In fact, there is a new thread here where a guy has a Radeon 9800 and "huge graphics problems," so I am suspicious: I think that the game is written so as to require older drivers, or certain specific drivers, for whatever card is used. If a lot of people just install the game and go ahead and play it, could be that a lot of people don't have the latest drivers and are using the drivers the game plays well with.

Here are my findings with the game:

For me I couldn't even get it to work right even with the full-screen effects turned off with 71.84; I needed to back-track to version 66.93 (once in a while the game will still crash on me with these drivers, however). I haven't tried the beta 76.41's yet, but I will before the next time I play.

As far as what would happen when I would use the 71.84 drivers, after the game would load it would go to a black screen for about ten seconds before showing the Eidos splash screen.
    When it would get to the copyright screen where you see the green crosshairs, it would freeze. If I would leave it for a few minutes the copyright screen would go away and the screen would go black and there would be the top of a green 'sphere' at the bottom of the screen. If I tried to exit I would eventually get an error referring to 'nv4_disp' (I have a screenshot of it if any of you support guys would like me to e-mail it to you).

I also have the BFG version and I tried to down-clock it to the 'normal' spec, but that didn't help either.

And lastly, I tried to sign-up to the forums last Sunday but never received an e-mail to activate my registration. I e-mailed support 4 times over the week and no one got back to me, but I received the activation e-mail at 3:00am today. Just thought you should know.

Yes, that is more or less what has happened with me and the 71.84 drivers. Except I got no error messages, and the game would actually crawl its way to the actual game itself, if you left it running for awhile, but of course it was totally unplayable and scarcely visible...

OK, then I will have to buy the game again [I have long since returned the game to BestBuy as unworkable] and take a chance for $40 that the older drivers will make it operable. I hate to fiddle with the nVidia drivers, as I found that changing from the old 5200 to the new 6800 card on my system was a pain in the butt for some reason. On the other hand, once it went in right, I changed from the 66.93 to 71.84 without problems, so maybe just going back to the 66.93 won't present any problems.....

OK!!! Easily uninstalled the 71.84's and installed the 66.93's and voila! everything works, even with full screen effects. I guess there should be a sticky to the effect that nVidia drivers beyond 66.93 give problems....
    Last edited by sonyack; 03-26-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Default Full Screen Effects Problems

I have the full screen effects problem also. The game loads to the copyright screen, then locks up. After a minute or two, the screen turns green with interesting green sideways patterns.

Turning off full screen effects cured the problem for me also. Does anyone know what I'm missing in the game by doing this?

I am posting my system specs to aid the developers/nVidia in finding a fix.

Other than that, pretty cool game!

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, nForce 3 Ultra Chipset
    Chipset Drivers: 5.10 (latest from nVidia.com)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+
    Memory: 1Gb Corsair DDR-400 PC-3200
    Video Card: eVGA Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP 256Mb
    Video Drivers: 71.84 WHQL from nVidia.com
    Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Default Lates Drivers Fix

The 76.41 drivers fixed the fullscreen problem for me also.

The 76.41 drivers let me play with full screen effects, too. For anybody that's wondering, the option enables DX9 effects, like blurring. This is seen best during the second level.

Everything works fine with the game now, except for one thing. Whenever I save the game or when certain cutscenes play, the mouse will begin to lag. It's not just lag, it actually slows the game to about 1 FPS whenever the mouse is moved, even during cutscenes where moving the mouse doesn't visually do anything except slow it down. The keyboard, however, works just fine. It's more of a minor issue, because I can just quit the game and reload from the last save point and things will be fine until it happens again.

My system is:
    AMD XP Barton 3000+
    GeForce 6600GT
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS
    768MB PC3000 RAM
    (1) 160GB Western Digital HDD
    (1) 40GB Maxtor HDD
    Last edited by Witsend; 03-26-2005 at 11:59 AM.

Default ATI problem

Hi, I have game problem with my ATI 9800Pro. When I play the game for a while (could be 1 min or could be 30 mins), the game will just exit and kick me back to the Desktop. If I load the game again, it may run for another couple mins or so. Does anyone has similer problem?

My Machine:
    P2 2.8
    160G Maxtor SATA
    SB Live!
    Intel i865 Mobo
    Pioneer A06 DVD Burner
    SMC 10/100 Network card.

Thanks.

Sbug,
    I'd try to download the newest drivers for your video card and try them out.
    If you're using the most current ones, download the ones before that (that's what I needed to do for my GeForce 6800gt). If you're still having trouble with them try the next ones back from that one. (If you are going to try different driver versions download & install a program called 'Driver Cleaner' too and run that after uninstalling drivers to make sure all the old ones are totally removed before trying different versions.)
    Also before trying different drivers maybe try disabling the 'Full Screen Effects' like suggested previously.

Good luck!

Default Bumbed.can't play game (DVD)

Hi all

Hope the problem gets fixed soon where ever it may be.

I also am having the same problem that everyone else is haveing and I just brought the game home yesterday
    It seems to load slow even for me and I have a sony DVD (new)
    the game starts out ok, the opening eidots screen and the other play fine and soon as the next one starts and i can move the mouse around for a few seconds and then it locks up and then If I hit alt F-4 I can kill the game without killing sys, but then if I let it go then about 4 or 5 mins later it will start loading the main menu very slowly and the mouse remains locked
    and then I get this funky looking screen with like a dome at the bottom
    ..I have over 3 hundred games and all of them run fine on my sys which is as follows

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD 64 3500+ 939
    2-MSI NX 6800 TD-256 E's in SLI mode
    2 gigs PC3200 XMS ram
    Onboard 8 channel sound
    2 western Digital SATA 120 on raid -0
    2- western Digital 160 gig SATA's
    2- Western Digital 80 gig UATA 100s
    Liteon 52x cdrw
    sony DVDRW
    Thermaltake 480watt PS

I also have another sys that is a 3000+ 64 754 and it has an ATI 9800 256 pro in it and the game will run for a few mins then kicks to desktop

I know i will hear anyway to make sure I have all the latest drivers in and I do I have been gamming for many years and I know the importance of updating and keeping up to date
    I tried installing the older drivers for my vid and still did same thing so I put back in the 71.84's and will leave it and put this game disk on the shelf for now and wait for a patch I guess

Hope you guys get this fixed soon it is a bummer when ya bring home a new game and can't play it right out of the box

Peace ALL
    HAWK33

Default Fixed Game Not Starting

Hello All

I decided to keep messing with this game and try to get it running so here is what I did and it worked and it seems to be an Nvidia driver problem as far as I can tell
    I got hold of some drivers called X-treme G (forceware) that were tweaked ver 76.41's and now the game runs fine...the drivers are not supported by nvidia or Tweaks R us , I highly recomend going to their forum and reading about them befor trying them, dono if I am supose to post their page or not so if i am in the wrong ..please forgive me I am just glad to have my game working http://tweaksrus.com/index.php?optio...d=67&Itemid=41

again I am sorry if I am not supose to post this

GOOD LUCK ALL
    HAWK33

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast