Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Tools: Post your TR Unofficial tools here

Lightbulb Unofficial Tools: Post your TR Unofficial tools here

This thread's purpose is to be an archive of all available tools for Tomb Raider. If you have a tool, please post it here.

Guidelines as follows:
    -Have a fairly detailed description of what the tool it is and what it does.
    -Have a link either to the tool's website or for download or both.
    -Optional: Briefly describe other important details (ex: compatibility, system requirements, etc)
    -Have a brief paragraph on how to use it.
    -Have a screenshot of either the tool itself, an example of what it can do, or both. Limit two screenshots per tool.

Please follow the layout below:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What this tool is:
    (insert your title or short description here)

What this tool does:
    (Insert your description here)

(insert your tool's homepage or download link or both here)

Additional details (optional):
    (include system requirements, do's/dont's, bugs, etc)

Rundown on how to use:
    (briefly describe how to use it)

Screenshot:
    (have at least one screenshot of either the tool itself, or an example of what it can do. Or [optional] have both. Limit two screenshots.)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that this is for tools only, no out-of-place comments, questions, or unnecessary "fluff". All posts within the topic should be strictly created as outlined in the guidelines or can be notes from the topic's administrator (such as an answer to an often asked question and/or a link to a FAQ about the topic, etc).

Thanks in advance for your contributions!

Let's keep this thread clear of clutter,
    only tools please.

(made sticky courtesy of dhama)

Should you need them, the following files - which are nescessary for some tools - are available for download:
    *zlib.dll - Place in same folder as program.
    *COMDLG32.OCX - See documentation in link for placement.
    *TABCTL32.OCX - See documentation in link for placement.
    *BTNexgenIPL32.dll - Place in "system" directory. (normally found in C:\WINDOWS)

Not all tools need the above files, so don't let this keep you from downloading other tools.

|-----Index-----| (Courtesy of DriberBallZ)
    <a href="#post452046">TRwest (Tomb Raider Wad Editing Studio)</a>
    <a href="#post452049">Texture Jack</a>
    <a href="#post452056">TR2Prj</a>
    <a href="#post452090">TR2WAD</a>
    <a href="#post452096">StrpiX 3.6 Rev.2</a>
    <a href="#post452097">TRFix</a>
    <a href="#post452098">TR Save Game Editor</a>
    <a href="#post452102">SES (Script Editing Studio) 3.0</a>
    <a href="#post452418">TES (Texture Editing Studio) 1.8</a>
    <a href="#post452424">Room Viewer 5.0 R2</a>
    <a href="#post452544">PRJ Merge 1.1</a>
    <a href="#post452674">TR-ScriptGenerator 2.0</a>
    <a href="#post452685">FexMerger 1.2</a>
    <a href="#post452691">DXTre3D 2.0 Rev 1</a>
    <a href="#post452694">TBuilder (Texture Builder) 2.4</a>
    <a href="#post452738">TR Position Editor</a>
    <a href="#post452742">Sound Jack V 0.2</a>
    <a href="#post452743">Fexinspect V 1.0</a>
    <a href="#post452748">AOD Texture Loader V 1.1</a>
    <a href="#post452754">AOD Texture Editor V 1.2</a>
    <a href="#post453223">TR Media Player 1.0</a>
    <a href="#post453229">Font Edit 1.1</a>
    <a href="#post453736">WAD Merger 1.95 Beta</a>
    <a href="#post455014">Tomb Raider Level Manager 1.04</a>
    <a href="http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46559&perpage=25&pagenumber=2#post455019">TRLE SFX Edit 1.0</a>
    <a href="http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46559&perpage=25&pagenumber=2#post455694">Tomb Raider Level Editor</a>
    <a href="http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46559&perpage=25&pagenumber=2#post456822">TR Wad to TRWest Compatibility Tool v2.0.1.0</a>
    <a href="http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46559&perpage=25&pagenumber=2#post460026">TR Wad Analyser Tool v2.0.1.0</a>
    <a href="http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46559&perpage=25&pagenumber=2#post481537">TextureAdd</a>

Also see...
    <a href="http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46559&perpage=25&pagenumber=2#post462870">Tutorials by conchild</a>

*Note that these tools are listed in no particular order. I do not - nor will I upon request - claim that any one tool is better than another. All tools are equally good in that they do what they were designed to do.
    Last edited by DOS; 05-01-2005 at 10:21 PM.

What this tool is:
    TRwest (Tomb Raider Wad Editing Studio)

What this tool does:
    TRwest allows you to create a new wad using any of the objects defined in all the wads. It will automatically create all the necessary files for use with the other tools for developing levels for the Tomb Raider game.
    Basically the contents of wad are stored in five different files: .SAM, .SFX, .SWD, .WAD, .WAS. TRwest will read in these files when you want to use the objects in the various wads, and will create these files when you save your new wad.

Homepage: TRwest
    Download: TRwest V2 (For other versions and add-ons, please visit the Homepage)

Additional details:
    New in version 2.00
    -------------------------
    * Load The Last Revelation and Times Exclusives level files as wad data.
    * script.dat and english.dat decompiler.
    * Minor fixes to texture and sound processing
    * .WAS processing was relaxed so you can now load wads edited by other applications.

Rundown on how to use:
    In-depth description available at TRwest Homepage.

*If you are the creator of this tool and want to change the content of this post, feel free to PM or email me.
    *What is posted here contains as much data as I could find on this item at the time of posting.
    Last edited by Driber; 05-08-2005 at 12:39 AM.

What this tool is:
    Texture Jack

What this tool does:
    With Texture Jack you can open any Tomb Raider level in the games data folder, and save it's textures.

Download: Texture Jack

Additional details:
    N/A

Rundown on how to use:
    Simply open a TR4 file to get the textures. For Tomb Raider Chronicles levels (.trc), you need to copy the level to your hard drive, and rename its file extension from .trc to .tr4. (Ex. change rich1.trc to rich1.tr4) Then you can open it with Texture Jack.

*If you are the creator of this tool and want to change the content of this post, feel free to PM or email me.
    *What is posted here contains as much data as I could find on this item at the time of posting.
    Last edited by DOS; 11-13-2004 at 11:37 PM.

What this tool is:
    TR2Prj

What this tool does:
    Extracts a PRJ file from TR1-4 level files. It includes most of the textures. For TR4 levels it includes objects, triggers, and lights. It also extracts a texture TGA file, and sky/font RAW file.

Download: TR2Prj

Additional details:
    Fixed transparency problem with TR1-3.
    zlib.dll is needed and can be downloded Here
    (place zlib.dll in the same folder as the program)

Rundown on how to use:
    Simply load and save.

Last edited by DOS; 11-11-2004 at 03:19 PM.

What this tool is:
    TR2WAD

What this tool does:
    With TR2Wad, you can extract objects from TR2-TR5. From there you arrange the objects into their appropriate slots using TRwest.

Download: TR2WAD

Additional details:

*Features
    -----------
    You can view the list of objects. You can export the level as a WAS file. These files don't have the object names from TR1-3, but they are compatible with all other WAD editors. You can save the textures from the rooms as a TGA file that can be loaded in the level editor.

*ObjectID.exe program
    ------------------------------
    This program can be used to view the what name the object will have if you load an extracted TR1-3 level in TRWest. You can also change the object names or view the list. (program included in ZIP)

Note that if you are missing COMDLG32.OCX, you can look Here for documentation and download.

Rundown on how to use:
    Detailed description in TR2WAD Documentation

Last edited by DOS; 11-13-2004 at 11:41 PM.

What this tool is:
    StrpiX 3.6 Rev.2

What this tool does:
    With StrpiX3, you can edit the textures of the meshes, fix Lara's pony tail problem, and edit the collision on objects.

Download: StripX 3.6 Rev.2

Additional details:
    Strpix3 is designed to run in 800x600 32 bit color using normal font size.
    If you have problems running this program, look at the "Strpix3 and
    some video Cards" section in the readme.

Rundown on how to use:
    Basically, just unpack the program in a folder of your choosing, run it, and open a wad from the wads folder. Fairly straight-foreward operation. For further detail see the readme (available for online viewing Here in PDF or Here in TXT).

Last edited by DOS; 11-12-2004 at 12:43 AM.

What this tool is:
    TRFix

What this tool does:
    Basically, it tries to fix common errors in PRJ files so that the room editor can load the project. It doesn't fix everything, but just tries to make the project loadable so you don't have to start over. It might have to delete some objects, lights, or even rooms, but at least you won't lose everything.
    The listbox will contain a list of all the rooms found. There may be some errors, including messages about skipping rooms or deleting things. Besides the output in the listbox, TRFix also creates a log file with much more detailed information. This will list every fix the program makes to the project. It also provides a high-level trace of the program. The log file is placed in the same folder as the broken project. It has the same name as the project, but with the extension .FIX.

Download: TR Fix

Additional details:
    *This program depends directly on the Microsoft DLL's MSVCRT40.dll and MFC42.dll. It is only tested on Win98, but it should run fine on Win95 and probably WinME. It will probably run on WinNT and Win2K.
    *Some errors are so serious that the project cannot be saved.
    *TRFix does not fix every possible error in a project. For now, it only fixes enough errors that WinRoomEdit can load the project without crashing.

Rundown on how to use:
    1. Just use the Open button to open a project. You get the standard Windows dialog that lets you browse to the file.
    2. The project is parsed and fixed automatically. Messages are displayed in the listbox window.
    3. Use the Save button to save the fixed project. Again you get the standard Windows dialog so you can browse to a folder and rename the output file. You don't have to type the extension - .PRJ will be added.

Last edited by DOS; 11-13-2004 at 11:47 PM.

What this tool is:
    TR Save Game Editor

What this tool does:
    allows the editing of Tomb Raider savegames created by :
    -Tomb Raider I
    -Tomb Raider I Gold : Unfinished Business
    -Tomb Raider II
    -Tomb Raider II Gold : Golden Mask {all Levels}
    -Tomb Raider III
    -Tomb Raider IV The Last Revelation
    -Tomb Raider IV The Times Exclusive
    -Tomb Raider V Chronicles

Homepage: TR SaveGame Editor
    Download: TR Save Game Editor

Additional details:
    *This is not a tool specifically made to work with the Level Editor, but is a TR tool nonetheless and therefore is included in this archive.
    *Weapons, ammo levels, health packs, flares, etc. may be edited for all games - Also daypack items may be edited in Tomb Raider IV and V.

Rundown on how to use:
    Place TRsgEditor in the same folder as the Tomb Raider program, or place it elsewhere and use a shortcut with the working folder as the folder that the Tomb Raider program resides in. Afterwards, simply run the program and make whatever changes you wish and save.

Last edited by DOS; 11-16-2004 at 07:52 AM.

What this tool is:
    SES (Script Editing Studio) 3.0

What this tool does:
    SES is a script editing tool for the Tomb Raider Level Editor. The Tomb Raider Level Editor game would not be able to function without it's script files. Script files dictate to the game all text to print on the screen. They also tell the game what WAD files are used with a level, and how the puzzles within that WAD behave. Also, the script files can be used to enable the horizon in the level, or make the level behave like a train, or even to add lightning to your sky. Manual script editing can be very difficult, because a single error can cause the game to run incorrectly. SES makes this task easier by automating the process, building the script files correctly, with your specifications.

Download: SES 3.0

Additional details:
    *Requirements:
    You must have the EASYLIFE compiler (included) somewhere on your computer. You can change where SES looks for it, but the default place SES looks when you open the program is in "C:\Easylife.bat". SES also looks for your TRLE script folder at this address: "C:\Program Files\Core Design\trle\Script". Both these directorys can be changed by clicking EDIT, SETTINGS. Be warned though, that the stated addresses are the default ones, and SES will revert to them every time you run the program.

Rundown on how to use:
    See the readme for details, available for viewing online Here in PDF or Here in TXT.

*Due to scarcity and the vast amount of dead download links, I have hosted this tool on my site for download.
    Last edited by DOS; 12-06-2004 at 12:51 PM.

What this tool is:
    TES (Texture Editing Studio) 1.8

What this tool does:
    Creates any set of custom 64x64 pixel textures from multiple sets, or from other pictures.

Download:TES 1.8

Additional details:
    Includes features such as Pixel Editing, Color Keying, RGB edit, Alpha Ghosting, Reduce to 1/4 size, Flip/Rotate, Filters, Animation, Imports most formats, Saves in Targa (.tga) format.

Note that if you are missing COMDLG32.OCX, you can look Here for documentation and download.
    Also note that if your are missing TABCTL32.OCX, you can look Here for documentation and download.

Rundown on how to use:
    See the readme for details, available for viewing online Here in PDF or Here in TXT.

(Click pic to see full size image)

*The tool itself is currently hosted on my website. If you are the creator and want it to be downloaded from elsewhere, please PM or email me.

What this tool is:
    Room Viewer 5.0 R2

What this tool does:
    The Room Viewer for all Tomb Raider games from Tr1 to TRc, you can open a see all levels full textured and lighted and now with static mesh, originally designed for retexturing and lighting custom levels built with unofficials tools.

Download: Room Viewer 5.0 R2

Additional Details:
    *With Rview you can do some editing in the room:
    - Put different textures to each face in the floor,walls,ceiling.
    - Rotate the faces in the room.
    - Put white Lights intensities for TR1/TR2/TR3/TR4/TRC and colored lights for TR3,TR4 and TRC levels to the floor/walls/ceilings
    - Cut faces in the room.
    - Zone editor that can be used for custom levels.
    - Change Ambient room Light that will affect Lara and Objects in the room, white ambient light for TR1/TR2/TR3/TR4/TRC and colored ambient light for TR4 and TRC levels. You can edit room's flags for TR1-TRc including TRc weather flag.
    - Source Lights manager included, Tr1-TRc levels version supported.

Rundown on how to use:

(Click the pic to see full size image)

Last edited by DOS; 11-13-2004 at 11:56 PM.

What this tool is:
    PRJ Merge 1.1

What this tool does:
    AspideTR.com description - "A very useful tool used to merge project (PRJ files) - the only tool capable of doing it so far"
    This tool would probably be ideal for a group project in which different projects by group members are merged into one for the group level's end result.

Download: PRJ Merge 1.1

Additional details:
    In this version
    -------------------
    1) The errors in WinRoomEdit should be gone.
    2) Now copies all lights, fog bulbs, sounds, sinks, and all cameras.
    3) Now copies triggers for sinks and cameras, as well as triggers that don't depend on a wad object, like flipeffects.
    4) If both projects use the same TGA file, textures are copied.

Rundown on how to use:
    *Select the Base project.
    *Select the Add project.
    *Select the Output project.
    *Click the Merge button.
    (more detail of each step in readme)

What this tool is:
    TR-ScriptGenerator 2.0

What this tool does:
    Generates scripts for your levels. Has lots of options, excellent for anyone who, like me, doesn't know how to make a script from scratch.

Download: TR-ScriptGenerator 2.0

Additional details:

Available in four languages (picked during setup):
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    -English
    -French (Francias)
    -German (Deutsch)
    -Italian (Italiano)

Three skill levels Available:
    ----------------------
    -Simple
    -Medium
    -Expert

Rundown on how to use:
    Pretty much self-explanitory. Just make a script.

What this tool is:
    FexMerger V 1.2

What this tool does:
    This tool allows you to mix, add or take away objects (moveables and static mesh) from Phd, Tub, tr2, tr3, tr4 and trc files.

Homepage: FexMerger
    Download: FexMerger V 1.2

Additional details:
    *In this version support is given for animated textures into Objects.
    *The descriptions at some websites seem to indicate that this tool can only be used with Unofficial Level Editors, but it can be used with any editor since it modifies the game files, not the editor files.

Rundown on how to use:
    Open a source, then open a target (must have both source and target), then check the box beside what you want in the source and check the box of things you don't want in the target then merge. You'll probably want to make a back-up of the target file before you merge anything into it, and don't forget to save your target file (it will not save automatically). More info available in readme.

Last edited by DOS; 11-15-2004 at 09:43 PM.

What this tool is:
    DXTre3D 2.0 Rev 1

What this tool does:
    It is an Unofficial Tomb Raider Level Editor - builds levels for Tomb Raider 1 (*.phd, *.tub), Tomb Raider 2 (*.tr2), Tomb Raider 3 (*.tr3), Tomb Raider 4 (*.tr4) and Tomb Raider Chronicles (*.trc); with support for Foreign Language interface.

Homepage: DXTre3D
    Download: DXTre3D 2.0 Rev 1

Additional details:
    Includes DOC file. Newer Revision 1 Version unformal release with texture optimizer and support for animated textures into objects.

Rundown on how to use:
    Details available online Here

(Click the pic for larger image)

What this tool is:
    TBuilder (Texture Builder) 2.4

What this tool does:
    Greatly simplifies the task of making texture sets for your levels, very easy to use.

Home: TBuilder
    Download: TBuilder 2.4

Additional details:
    *Saves in TGA, BMP, and JPG.
    *Can extract from tr4, or from TR1,2,3,4,5 original CD-ROMS.

Rundown on how to use:
    Load a source texture set, then load a target set or make a new one, then just click textures you want from the source and click where you want them on the target. Select multiple squares by pressing and holding left or right mouse buttons.

Last edited by DOS; 11-16-2004 at 12:14 AM.

What this tool is:
    TR Position Editor

What this tool does:
    Edits Lara's position in a savegame.

Homepage: TR Position Editor
    Download: TR Position Editor

Additional details:
    *Allows position editing in:
    -Tomb Raider I
    -Tomb Raider I Gold : Unfinished Business
    -Tomb Raider II
    -Tomb Raider II Gold : Golden Mask {all Levels}
    -Tomb Raider III
    -Tomb Raider IV The Last Revelation
    -Tomb Raider IV The Times Exclusive
    -Tomb Raider V Chronicles

Rundown on how to use:
    Very simple - just move Lara east, west, north, south, up, or down. Hight is done in 1 click intervals. Direction is done in single grid squares. Be careful not to put Lara inside a wall, it's easy to do if you don't know where you're moving her.

What this tool is:
    Sound Jack V 0.2

What this tool does:
    Extracts and plays sounds from TR games and saves it as *.wav files.

Download: Sound Jack V 0.2

Additional details:
    Supports extracting from TR1/TRUB/TR2/TR3/TR4.

Rundown on how to use:
    Simply open and save sound files. Push "play" to play the sounds.

What this tool is:
    Fexinspect V 1.0

What this tool does:
    (from Fexinspect PDF:) Fexinspect is a program based on inspired by Michiel’s Flooredit tool, which allows one to open a compiled Tomb Raider level and inspect in detail how it was done, revising the item and trigger data so the user can learn how to setup and implement puzzles and discover how Core design did their levels.

Download: Fexinspect V 1.0

Additional details:
    Opens TR1-TRc levels.

Rundown on how to use:
    Details in Fexinspect PDF, available for viewing online Here.

Last edited by DOS; 12-06-2004 at 01:04 PM.

What this tool is:
    AOD Texture Loader V 1.1

What this tool does:
    Loads textures from AOD.

Download: AOD Texture Loader V 1.1

Additional details:
    N/A

Rundown on how to use:
    *Load a GMX file
    *Click on a texture to send it to the clipboard
    *Click "dump all" to put all selected textures on hard disk

What this tool is:
    AOD Texture Editor V 1.2

What this tool does:
    The AOD Texture Editor was made to allow TRLE users to use textures from the latest TR game, TR:AOD. This tool is NOT for ripping aod textures and using them in other games.

Download: AOD Texture Editor V 1.2

Additional details:
    Can extract room, lara and enemy textures. COMDLG32.OCX library (Vb6 Runtime Library) is required, look Here for the file and installation instructions. This version includes a .gmx.clz -> .gmx converter.

Rundown on how to use:
    Details in Readme, available for online viewing Here

Last edited by DOS; 12-01-2004 at 11:07 AM.

What this tool is:
    TR Media Player 1.0

What this tool does:
    Lets TR custom level designers "add" video files or play other media files when a specified sound file is triggered in-game.

Download: TR Media Player 1.0

Additional details:
    *TR Media Player requires the latest version of Windows Media Player and WinZip to be installed.
    Windows Media Player
    WinZip
    *Before you install TRMP, you should make a back-up of all the original files in your trle Audio folder so that you can restore it once you decide to uninstall the TRMP enabled custom level.

Rundown on how to use:
    This program runs in background mode, and will stay checking the state for all WAV files specified. When the program "sees" that one of the WAVs is opened (meaning that it has been triggered by Lara in game) then it will get focus and automatically play the media file assigned to the triggered WAV. See details in the readme, available for online viewing Here in TXT.

What this tool is:
    Font Edit 1.1

What this tool does:
    Allows modification of the fonts used in a level.

Download: Font Edit 1.1

Additional details:
    This program came with no documentation, so I have included my own readme with the download.

Rundown on how to use:
    Details in the readme, available for online viewing Here in TXT.

What this tool is:
    WAD Merger 1.95 Beta

What this tool does:
    WADMerger is a program to copy WAD objects from a WAD or TR level to another WAD and export/import objects. You can also enable and disable the collesion from objects and add textures. There is also an animation editor included.

Download: WAD Merger 1.95 Beta

Additional details:
    -WADMerger needs the visual basic 5 runtime.
    -You also need zlib (for TR4&5 levels) installed.
    -Manuals for WAD Merger will be in a folder called WADMerger Documentation.

Rundown on how to use:
    To get started, specify the requested working directories and pick a "skin". Info on how to actually operate can be found in the readme, available for online viewing Here in TXT.

What this tool is:
    Tomb Raider Level Manager 1.04

What this tool does:
    Greatly simplifies the task of installing a custom level and provides an interface to easily switch between them, in addition to many other handy features.

Homepage: TR Level Manager (available languages: English, Italian, German)
    Download: TR Level Manager

Additional details:
    Features include:
    -Automatically handles all installation procedures for new custom levels.
    -User needs only to select a level zip file and TR Level Manager will execute all necessary operations to archive and play that level.
    -If the new level is in .tom format, TR Level Manager will convert it in .tr4 format automatically.
    -All backup and restore operations of original files will be performed in transparent mode by Level Manager.
    -Importing of new wads file will be executed automatically.
    -Level designers and distributors can have full controll of installation procedure of their level, inserting in level zip file a configuration file named "trlmanager.cfg".
    Through use of trlmanager.cfg, the Level Manager can better handle complicated installation procedures (like level in .exe format, importing of external files as .wav to new wads, or duplications of .was source files before converting).
    -Additionally, you can insert many infos in configuration files like: your name, level name, your email or web site etc.
    -Level file size will be reduced
    -TR Level Manager allows you to enclose in the zip file of levels mp3 files to subtitute most wav files. When this level is imported in Level manager, mp3 files will be decoded automatically in the correct wav format. This conversion can dramatically reduce download size of levels. The creator of the Level Manager has purposed that the Level Manager encourage the hosting of levels in .tom format since it takes up far less space than .tr4 format.
    Other features may be found at this tool's homepage.

Rundown on how to use:
    After installation, simply create a new archive and load levels. Most everything else is done automatically. For additional information, see the help index under the "help" drop down menu in the Level Manager.

Last edited by DOS; 12-06-2004 at 01:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast