Thread: nforce2 OpenAl install problem fixed!

Talking nforce2 OpenAl install problem fixed!

I manged to solve the OpenAl install problem that seems to plague nForce2 mobo owners that use sound cards.

I have an Asus A7n8x nForce2 motherboard and a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 sound card. I had motherboard sound disabled and use only the SoundBlaster. No problems before in any game.

I couldn't get in-game sounds working in SSN '67, and eveytime I tried to install OpenAl I got the infamous:
    Code:
    An NVIDIA audio driver upgrade is required
    before OpenAl can be installed. Please go to www.nvidia.com
    and download the latest driver for your audio hardware
    I would still get this message no matter how many times I tried to install the latest nForce2 drivers.

I solved it similar to ValkXB70 in thread
    still no sound!!!!! but I didn't need to remove my SoundBlaster card.

I simply renabled On-board AC97 sound from BIOS, then booted. I may have needed to reboot immediately after W2K installed a default driver, but once Windows was happy again, I reinstalled the new nForce2 drivers. This time much more happened during the audio drivers install section than before. Apparently it quietly does not install if your on-board sound is disabled.

After rebooting once or twice to let Windows get everything installed and setup, I was able to install OpenAl with no problems. After that in-game sound in SSN '67 was working fine with my SoundBlaster. I didn't even have to switch preferred audio devices in the control panel because it was still set to my SoundBlaster card.

I will probably experiment further because now that I have SSN working with my SoundBlaster, I'd like to go back and disable the nForce2 audio and remove it's drivers and applications to clean up my system.

I did try re-enabling the onboard sound card. It did not have any effect until the Audigy was removed completely.

LOL and where was this advice when I needed it

Just kidding, hopefully others with this problem are now happily playing away.

Default FIX for me.

I overwrote the OPENAL32.DLL file in C:\Program Files\Eidos\ShellShock_Nam67 Folder with the one located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\. And then directly started the game( without installing OpenAL) and the sound started to work. I hope this works for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK
    I simply renabled On-board AC97 sound from BIOS, then booted. I may have needed to reboot immediately after W2K installed a default driver, but once Windows was happy again, I reinstalled the new nForce2 drivers. This time much more happened during the audio drivers install section than before. Apparently it quietly does not install if your on-board sound is disabled.
    (this forum seems VERY dead so I'm not sure if I should even expect a response)

but how do you do any of that? I have the same problem and I have a Audigy SE but have no idea how to do any thing you just said there.