General Plot Questions
- When people find odd stuff in murals that relate to later games, is that just coincidence? Is it a result of knowing what you were planning on doing even before the next game got approved? Are some of those just random elements that later became the inspirations for later games? I guess this boils down to wanting to know how you manage to weave together the complex reality that is Nosgoth?
- I want to ask whether our questions from the previous games will be answered. Vorador's appearance in BO2, the staff affecting the Reaver etc.
- The EG and the physical world, in chapter 2 of Defiance he smashes some rocks and blocks the entrance to the underworld, but he needs Moebius to tell him that Kain is returned at the end, and wouldn't it have been easier to smack Kain around while he couldn't see you?
- What is the history of the ancient vampires and the hylden? Were the hylden actually the "bad guys," or did they become really evil after they got banished? How did they manage the world, and how was it different from the way the ancient vampires managed the world? What was meant when they would not submit to the wheel of fate? When I ask if the Hylden were the "bad guys," I mean are they the evil spawns of satan, with the ancient vampires being the forces of heaven; or was it a case of simple theological differences, like catholics warring with protestants?
- Do the souls that get spinned in the wheel get placed back in their original bodies, when they were born, and replay their whole lives over and over, in a circle, or do they inhabit another body, and live other lives?
- How did Raziel and the other 5 lieutenants create their clans? This may seem like a basic question but allow me to explain my reasoning. If they have humans drink their blood and pass the curse on that way (like Janos or Vorador) then how is that possible considering they could not have had contact with Ancient blood? If anything, Kain would be able to do it that way considering that in Defiance we learn he has the heart of an Ancient which presumably has an Ancient's blood in it
yet he said in Blood Omen 2 that he can't. It says on the Soul Reaver site; "To create a vampire, one must steal a soul from the abyss to reanimate the corpse". If this applies to how Raziel and his brothers raised their clans, did they have to sacrifice portions of their souls like Kain did? If not, then why not? If they did, then how were their souls large enough? Or is that the reason for their devolution?
- Did Kain let Janos fall into the Hylden Gate on purpose? I don't want to believe that but I just won Blood Omen 2 again yesterday and it looked like Kain not only stood by while the Sarafan Lord beat Janos up, he actually hit Janos and knocked him down. I want to know if it was intended that way or if it just happened to look like that.
- When you go spectral near Janos's dead body, how come there is nothing there? What happened to his soul?
- In Defiance Kain and Raziel discover those new areas which are full of ruins and ancient technology. They also visit places which are seen in earlier games. Everyone knows above-mentioned facts. So here comes the question: How it is possible that even Kain doesn’t know these “new places”? In SR1 timeline Kain rules the whole Nosgoth and had been the one who is roamed through out Nosgoth for centuries after centuries! Example vampire citadel: It’s behind the pillars and if my memory isn’t failing me, Kains throne is located in pillars. So how is it possible that Kain never visited in citadel? If he had visited in there, he would have those Reaver enhancing emblems already in SR1 timeline. This same question includes also Raziel. Voradors mansion shouldn’t be strange place to Kains right hand man, who had also time to roam here and there before he casted in to abyss. Same thing when Raziel arrives in cemetary.
- What about then that door in SR2 timeline, which leads under the surface to that chamber where elder god is? Did Kain or someone else destroy that door and that tunnel?
- When Ariel states "the blade must be rendered pure by spirit" was she referring to the Wraith blade, the Soul Reaver, or both? I believed by purifying the Wraith blade that the unification of the Reaver and Raziel meant the Soul Reaver had been purifed (Raziel receiving the largest portion of Kain's corrupted Soul, means to me that the Soul Reaver itself has always been inhabited by a corrupt spirit. The forge; purifying this Soul Reaver for it's true purpose). Not to mention the fact that Kain is only able to see the Elder AFTER Raziel enters the sword. Amy once said the answers to the game were for the most part explained by the game itself. There's just far too much evidence in the game itself that points in this direction.
- In Defiance, was Kain truly dead? If he was, did it lead to Ariel being freed from her binding to the pillars? or did the power of the spirit forge unbound her or break the 'chains' that held her captive?
- If there was any 'timetravel' involved at all; What era was Ariel brought to the Spirit Forge from?
- Regretfully we havent been able to decrypt the futhark writing in raziel's first LOKD chapter because the texture containing it has a few glitchs that make the writing imposible to read for us, could you please give us the full writing in a text file to be read with TLW's elder futhark font?
- Is there any other script/phonetic system other than the futhark (feral human ancient worshipers anyone? ) that can be used to decode messages in LOK?...I'm guessing something brhami derived like this (which remarkably reasembles the Lt's symbols) http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tibetan.htm
- to me it seems that the eldergod and the mass are similar in that they are ancient creatures with non-humanoid body, and godlike capabilites, is the mass seen as some sort of god, the real "hash'ah gik" by the hylden, and are the mass and the EG similar in any other way than being very old?
- What caused William's Soul Reaver to break ? I mean, the 2 weapons that both William and Kain possess are but one and the same - so..... why did Williams break and not Kain ? We are led to believe that the Soul Reaver is impossible to destroy let alone break, but what really caused it, brute force, Kain's soul entity (within the reaver that is) being the more dominating, or a third option - a monumental secret perhaps?
- My questions seem to revolve around the Soul Reaver . Never-the-less, I want to know the brief history of the weapon itself. By that I mean how it came to pass from person to person and from age to age. We are led to believe that Moebius ensured that both William and Kain were armed with the Soul Reaver before they fought. But I wanted to know - is the Soul Reaver that Raziel repairs in SR2 sent back in time and given to William by Moebius?
This might be an awkward question because if we think how it has changed hands and what has become of the blade we might be filled with awe. Let me explain: -
Kain and William fight with the Soul Reaver (-50 BO). Williams sword breaks and remains that way for 20 years and Raziel repairs it (-30 BO). Raziel causes a paradox after killing his former Sarafan self. The derranged soul that is the wraith untangles itself and winds it self around the physical incarnation of the reaver after he impales himself. The Soul Reaver - once guarded by Janos after years of losing faith but sustained by his guardianship now ends up in Kain's hands after he rescues Raziel from being totally consumed. Thus the Soul Reaver is born. These are the two eras in which the Soul Reaver make an appearance. 2 different circumstances and 2 different events in which the Soul Reaver plays. Which sword does Kain possess in SR1 in that case? If it were William's that would make sense as present Kain possesses the purified weapon. However, it is unclear how Williams blade ended up with Raziel in SR1 - is it even Williams blade?
- In SR2 we know that Raziel's destiny comes full circle in the Sarafan stronghold, but why does the wraith come to life shortly after the Sarafan Raziel is killed ? Is it because Raziels soul as a man was re-spun into the wheel of life? Even then it doesnt make sense. His soul apparently remained in the spectral realm because until Kain imposed his gift was his soul re-routed to his corpse - in which case Vampire Raziel is born. Where does the wraith blade come into this?
- What I really didnt understand was the fact that there were 2 Soul Reavers floating about in history, how is that truely possible? Doesn't this mean in theory, that there can be multiple instances of the blade ? We are led to believe that Kain's blade is from Avernus. How did it get there ? Williams blade in my opinion came from the future brought back by Moebius ensuring William was prepared for a fight he never knew would happen.
- In SR2, when Raziel was supposed to kill Kain with the Soul Reaver in the Sarafan Stronghold (after the Light Forge), what really happened? Did the "powers" of the Fate simply manipulate Raziel like a puppet (with the famous distortion feeling) and litteraly take control of Raziel's hands to make him kill Kain, or was the Soul Reaver in fact acting on it's own and forcing Raziel? And if it was the Soul Reaver's own will, why did it want to kill Kain?
- If Raziel had been absorbed into the Reaver blade at the end of SR2 (i.e. if Raziel had killed Kain already at William's Tomb and gone from there) what would have happened to the Physical Soul Reaver blade and in particular the Wraith Blade at that time?
- Moebius told the Elder God that the Hylden would be "dealt with in time". What exactly did he mean by this? Did he know that Kain's younger self would defeat them 400 years in the future? Or did he have something else planned for them?
- Was Raziel trapped in the Underworld for 500 years or was he transported 500 years forward in time? There appears to be conflicting evidence, Moebius makes his comments to Kain, saying he should be asking "when" Raziel is but later Raziel says that he'd been captive in the Underworld for centuries and had lost 500 years.
- We are told that Kain created his lieutenants by breathing a portion of his soul into each corpse and drawing their souls back from the Underworld or something along those lines. Now Raziel through SR1 and Defiance has absorbed the souls of his brethen (and in a different manner to the way he typically absorbs souls because he gets a power enhancement) so they might be a part of him and therefore a part of the Wraith Blade and so when it purifies Kain does Kain regain the portions of his soul and become complete?
- Since Raziel was resurrected as a vampire using a portion of Kain's soul does this mean that there is a connection between Kain and the Soul Reaver as Raziel is the soul devouring entity within the blade and Raziel has a portion of Kain's soul within him.
- wanna know that if Kain is truly purified, will he become like the picture at the end of defiance? the one where he is blue with wings holding the reaver, because Amy said in an interview in GI after sr1 that Kain would NOT grow wings and that it was unique to Raziel, however the picture and the purification meant otherwise.
- Kain seems to not need most of his offsprings gifts, except for Rahab, would he thus gain Rahab's gift either over time and evolution, or through the purification of the reaver? after all, Raziel got it by consuming Rahab's soul, perhaps the purification and reunification of Kains soul via Raziels sacrifice, Kain would recieve the gifts of his sons, such as Rahab's immunity to water and Raziels shifting and free will?
- could vampires secretly and unknowingly already consume souls? Raziel gains his brother's gifts by consuming their souls, vampire wraiths evolve to consuming souls, and in BO2 Kain absorbs vampires' gifts in a way that appears to be consuming their soul, could vampires have received not only immortality, sterilization, and bloodthirst from the Hylden curse but the ability of soul masterkation as well?
- If Kain murders William before his own birth, then Kain will not have been raised as a child with any knowledge of the tyrannous fiend that the beloved boy King was once destined to be become. Also, the Battle of the last Stand will never take place because there is no more Nemesis, and thus no legions of ravenous warriors to battle King Ottmar's armies of hope. Thus, what reason does Kain have to travel back through time and murder the boy King? He will no longer know that William was destined to become a vicious Tyrant, and there is no battle to escape from with the Time-Streaming Device, thus no reason to use the Time-Streaming device.
- If it was only the temporal distortion created by the presence of two identical Soul Reavers that allowed Kain to murder the boy King, what path was history meant to follow otherwise? The only options I can see are either William was destined to defeat Kain in combat, or Kain fled and returned to his own Era. Each of these would mean that the Soul Reaver would never come into existence, because Kain would never resurrect Raziel as his closest Lieutenant (this is, of course, not possible if Kain is dead, and Kain is unlikely to have an opportunity to do so if the legions of the Nemesis conquer Nosgoth).
- What I would be contempt with is the knowledge of what manner of location this Underworld is. By this, I mean does the Underworld exist only on the Spectral Plane, or does it also possess an existence in the Physical Realm? There is evidence within the games themselves to suggest the truthfulness of both possibilities; whilst the opening Raziel escapes the Underworld from in Soul Reaver is lost when the player shifts to the Physical Realm, the only obstacle that prevents the Player from returning to the Underworld in the Physical Plane in Defiance is the mountain of Rubble left there by the Elder God; the opening is still there, but sealed.
I ask this because I am currently pondering both the possibility and the likelihood of Kain venturing into the Underworld to endure a final confrontation with his true Nemesis, or a plot line to that extent.
- Was it Moebius the one who gave William the Just the Soul Reaver? If he did, then why is the statue of William in BO1 wielding the Soul Reaver, before all the time travelling? wouldn't that mean he found it on his own?
Please take a look at this hypothesis and take it into consideration!: http://amadeo.vtrbandaancha.net/reaver.gif
- now that raziel was imbued with all the elements for the reaver and purified. are the soulreaver now not strongere than the one william the just had in BO1?
raziel didnt enter the reaver when he was supposed to in SR2 and there he was not as strong as he was in the end of defiance? And if so does that have eny consequenses on younger kain when he gets it. now that it is purified and all??
- Does the fact that the EG's tentacles were all around the pillars, have anything to do with the fall of the pillars? Did he destroyed them? if so, why?
- Where did Moebius get his staff?
- Is the EG really a useful entity or just a worthless parasite as Raziel had implied?
- What is it about the Hylden that exempted them from the Wheel? Did they find a measure of immortality through magic or technology? Do they somehow prevent their souls from passing through Squiddy? Or, did they just say nasty things about him?
- In the introduction of Soul Reaver 1; and in the game itself there are these large tentacle objects piercing from the ground at Kain's throne. Are these tentacles merely ornaments of the throne or are they actually the tentacles of the Elder's portion that resides underneath the Pillars?
- In Blood Omen 2 and Defiance there are murals of a powerful female Hylden, she looks very different from all the other Hylden, dubbed the Hylden Queen by the fans, what is her true history?
- The Lesser Demons from Blood Omen 2 that Kain first comes upon in the Canyons, which have small wings, green glowing eyes, and even resemble in facial features the bipedal Hylden, are they the children offspring of the Hylden?
- In one Q & A session, this was said about Raziel's destiny:
Q: Is Raziel permanently trapped in the Reaver until his soul is released in SR?
A: Raziel is doomed to play out his circular destiny over and over again.
And in another, this is said:
8. How can the wraith blade be sucked into the blood Reaver with Raziel's soul, wouldn't that mean that there
are two souls in there?
The purified wraith blade that Raziel possesses is not drained into the Soul Reaver along with Raziel. In order for Kain to become purified by the wraith blade that contains the purity, the wraith blade must be dispersed or released from its imprisonment into Kain. Thus in that one single moment Raziel is simultaneously trapping himself within the Reaver but as well finally freeing himself from thousands of years of torment.
Maybe this has already been elaborated upon or clarified (in which case could someone please direct me to where it has been), but I find this really confusing and totally contradictory, and would appreciate it if Jen and Kyle could explain it.
- Also, could they also elaborate on how Raziel is freed from his torment? I didn't get that at all. =\ When Raziel forges the blade with Ariel's spirit, is that when his spirit is healed and his torment ends? Or does his torment end when he, as his healed self, enters Kain and heals him? If so, is the "ghoul" Raziel beginning his torment in the Reaver (which will be ended by being forged by Ariel's spirit) and is Raziel still alive in Kain (as the healed wraith blade)? Or do they mean his torment ends when he heals Kain as the healed wraith blade and dies?
- in this picture we have the pillars in the opening fmv of sr. (i am sorry for the size, but it's the best i found) if you look closely you can see that in the little circle there (where raziel was standing when kain hit him with the reaver), there is a straight line passing through. also, we can see that from the circle, another straight line goes out and stops between the mind and dimension pillars, with some symbols. also there is another line of symbols going between the death and states pillars.
but in this the straight line from inside the little circle is no longer straight and those two lines of symbols are also gone.
now in this one we've got all that, except for the straight line in the circle.
this one also. now my question is: was that just an error the team made, or is it done on purpose, with some meaning to it. if it does have a meaning, what is it?
- How did the demons in the third era of SR2 get spawned? The Pillars weren't corrupted yet and it is 500 years after that when they manage to gain a foothold into the world. Did they travel trough time like Raziel?
- In Defiance, we can see that each time Raziel activates an elemental Forge, and imbues his Reaver with it, the elemental power go first in his left arm, and then travels (through raziel's body) to his right arm, where the Reaver is.
Is it just a simple visual effect, or has it a real meaning in terms of story ? I mean, is Raziel imbued with elemental powers too ?
- can a person in nosgoth travel forth in time? i meen past their own timeline or can he only travel back in history and back to his original time??
- I'm curious as to what happens during these states of changes that vampires go into, whether they crawl into a crypt, simply hibernate somewhere, form a coccoon, etc...
- How large is the Elder God? Does he extend the entirety of Nosgoth, does he lie just below the surface, or have deep roots extending towards the Earth's core?
I'm still in the process of organizing. Thanks for your patience.
- Is this [Richard's Departure from CD] another thing like when CD and SK stopped working together and Denis Dyack stayed with SK and Amy came over to CD? Is the same thing is happening again and everyone leaving or did I jump to conclusions?
- [For Chris Bruno] Did you do the cover art for Zao: Funeral Of God, it states that Chris Bruno did the cover, and I just wanted to know if that`s you, or some guy with the same name, lol.
- please specify what exactly "nosgoth" refers to (is nosgoth just the known continent, or the world, or maybe even the dimension), and is there something outside of nosgoth in LOK universe?
Last edited by Umah Bloodomen; 09-27-2004 at 06:42 PM.