Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed problems with Nvidia drivers

Default Confirmed problems with Nvidia drivers

It has been confirmed by our esteemed compatiblity dude in the UK that all post 56.72 drivers released by Nvidia is the cause of most of the graphic problems that exist in SSN'67, on Nvidia GeForce cards.

He has informed me that the errors listed in other threads have been recreated using the current 61.77 Nvidia driver.

Now, before everyone goes off again, be happy in the knowledge that the upcoming 65.73 drivers do in fact correct the problems. It has just recently passed WHQL certification, and hopefully it should be released fairly soon.

Also, I request that all folks experiencing similar problems due to Nvidia drivers post in this thread. Please do NOT start a new thread. This will make it much easier for us here at Eidos U.S. and UK to track this problem! Cheers!

~The Jebus

thats exactly why i hate pc games. always problems and it takes a long time for them to be fixed. i guess im the only smart one who would just get the xbox version and not have to worry about these stupid issues. youd also think that after holding the game back for so long they would have fixed them by now or at least have a patch out.....

Keep in mind that this problem did not appear in testing, other than minor problems here and there. It's likely Nvidia changed the driver after we had done testing on it. I don't know for sure though, I'm not a tester or compatiblity guy, I just give information as I receive it.

However, you do make a valid point. Any game released on console goes through a much more rigorous testing cycle from both the publisher/developer end and the console manufacturer side. BUT, keep in mind, consoles only have 1 specific hardware configuration, with a few minor alterations here and there over the years. God only knows how many different PC system configurations are out there. You simply can't test on all of them.

Like I mentioned in another thread, 61.76 has actually made the graphics engine more stable on my machine whereas 56.64 caused some graphics problems and sometimes crashes to desktop.

The combination of DirectX9.0c and 61.76 seems to be working for me, I can imagine though that other people might have problems. 61.76 by the way is WHQL certified and .77 isn't.

Allways check, that you have nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing running in the background. No firewalls, no virusscanners nothing. When I start the game all I have running is the explorer and the systray.

And I run Win98SE, an operating system no longer officially supported. But IMHO the most stable OS next to XP w/sp2
    Last edited by MadMedic; 09-07-2004 at 04:01 PM.

Originally posted by Jumpin_Jebus
    Keep in mind that this problem did not appear in testing, other than minor problems here and there. It's likely Nvidia changed the driver after we had done testing on it. I don't know for sure though, I'm not a tester or compatiblity guy, I just give information as I receive it.

However, you do make a valid point. Any game released on console goes through a much more rigorous testing cycle from both the publisher/developer end and the console manufacturer side. BUT, keep in mind, consoles only have 1 specific hardware configuration, with a few minor alterations here and there over the years. God only knows how many different PC system configurations are out there. You simply can't test on all of them.
    Compatibility sounds such a simple thing on the surface, but its amazingly complex underneath

Originally posted by MadMedic
    Like I mentioned in another thread, 61.76 has actually made the graphics engine more stable on my machine whereas 56.64 caused some graphics problems and sometimes crashes to desktop.

The combination of DirectX9.0c and 61.76 seems to be working for me, I can imagine though that other people might have problems. 61.76 by the way is WHQL certified and .77 isn't.

Allways check, that you have nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing running in the background. No firewalls, no virusscanners nothing. When I start the game all I have running is the explorer and the systray.

And I run Win98SE, an operating system no longer officially supported. But IMHO the most stable OS next to XP w/sp2
    98 drivers and 2k/xp drivers have been out of `sync` for a while now when it comes to official drivers from nVidia.

Thanks for the info tho bout 9c tho, always handy to know it does work for people

JW-

I fully understand the unimaginable rigours you must go through for every single Eidos UK and US release. I hope I did not imply differently in my previous message. I can tell you with all honesty that Grey Mouser and I here in CS/TS truly appreciate the work you do. Muchas Gracias!

ahem...some of you other folks might want to thank this guy for the incredible hours he puts in to make sure your favorite Eidos games will actually work on your PC.

I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm off to our company picnic! Margaritaville!!! Oh yeah baby!

Originally posted by Jumpin_Jebus
    JW-

I fully understand the unimaginable rigours you must go through for every single Eidos UK and US release. I hope I did not imply differently in my previous message. I can tell you with all honesty that Grey Mouser and I here in CS/TS truly appreciate the work you do. Muchas Gracias!

ahem...some of you other folks might want to thank this guy for the incredible hours he puts in to make sure your favorite Eidos games will actually work on your PC.

I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm off to our company picnic! Margaritaville!!! Oh yeah baby!
    Oh it was just a comment hehe

Bit more info. Have spoken with nVidia re next drivers etc. It appears to be an issue with the video memory manager within the current released drivers (61.77).

As a possible quick fix, ie if you dont want to change your drivers to either latest beta, or backdate to 56.72. Try Alt-Tabbing to desktop, then tabbing back in when the texturing problem is occuring. This will cause the video memory to be re sorted and correct the texturing problem (note - it isn't a 100% guarenteed fix, but something you could try)

Good advice my friend. I will get an FAQ prepared for Shellshock's launch in 5 DAYS! Thanks again Jaycw!

~Jebus

Originally posted by Hitman47
    i guess im the only smart one who would just get the xbox version and not have to worry about these stupid issues.
    The only stupid issue are xbox-graphics....guess you where one of the "smart ones" who got Doom 3 on xbox....I prefer a high-end PC....

the only driver that works with shellshock and my geforce 6800 GT is det 62.20 beta.

ive tried quite a few drivers and not even the official drivers work.

i hope this helps others with their problems.

well i preordered the game went got it this morning loaded it. and go figure cant play it come here and they say to use nvidia 56.72 well the only problem is that wont work on a 6800 i have tried drivers all the way to 66.31 and nothing. same problem that i see in here already I guess i should have browsed the forums before purchase my bad
    i went to tech support and they say nvidia will come out with a new driver but like i said i have tried forceware all the way to 66.31 which can be dled at http://download.guru3d.com/
    oh well i hope the game is good for those who can play!!!!!!!
    goes off to play cod or jo

Originally posted by Shove
    well i preordered the game went got it this morning loaded it. and go figure cant play it come here and they say to use nvidia 56.72 well the only problem is that wont work on a 6800 i have tried drivers all the way to 66.31 and nothing. same problem that i see in here already I guess i should have browsed the forums before purchase my bad
    i went to tech support and they say nvidia will come out with a new driver but like i said i have tried forceware all the way to 66.31 which can be dled at http://download.guru3d.com/
    oh well i hope the game is good for those who can play!!!!!!!
    goes off to play cod or jo
    We are working with nVidia to get a resolution to the driver issue.

the problems i am having is like this screen shot i can see the rank and compass right after the intro movie when the game starts jinda like that picture but not at the same place in the game but same general problem
    http://img14.exs.cx/img14/9682/Unbenannt43.jpg

specs PNY 6800 ULTRA, 1024 PC 3200, P4 3.4, AUDIGY 2 ZS
    Last edited by Shove; 09-15-2004 at 11:04 AM.

Originally posted by Shove
    the problems i am having is like this screen shot i can see the rank and compass right after the intro movie when the game starts jinda like that picture but not at the same place in the game but same general problem
    http://img14.exs.cx/img14/9682/Unbenannt43.jpg

specs PNY 6800 ULTRA, 1024 PC 3200, P4 3.4, AUDIGY 2 ZS
    That is the issue we addressing.

65.73 WHQL does not fix the problem, in fact, it makes it worse. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/OafyC/screen.jpg

I fixed the problem on my computer by turning detail to medium and turning shadows off, maybe that will work for others.

Edit: Well, it fixed it at one part, now it's back.
    Last edited by OafyC; 09-17-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Any idea when the 65.73 drivers will be released? I'm running a GeForceFX 5600 and so far the graphics work fine, but I keep crashing to the desktop with no warning as to what went wrong.

OafyC,

Switching off Shadows has fixed my level 3 black-hole/lock up problem. However in the background on the horizon there is still the inky blackness of doom.

I think this fix may not be permanant

Default Driver problems

This game does not work with any drivers for 6800 series cards. I don't see how you could have tested this as even the earliest drivers for 6800 do not work. The 55 series drivers do not support 6800, so that is not a solution.

Regards,

Darko

Default Re: Driver problems

Originally posted by darkoroje
    This game does not work with any drivers for 6800 series cards. I don't see how you could have tested this as even the earliest drivers for 6800 do not work. The 55 series drivers do not support 6800, so that is not a solution.

Regards,

Darko
    As have explained before, the release of the 6800 was after the mastering period for the game and these new drivers to coincide with this hardware release were released also after we'd put the game to bed.

We cannot control drivers from a 3rd party, but we are working closely with them to ensure next driver revision works fully.

We tested the game on 6800's prior to release but we were having to use beta drivers as you rightly point out the official drivers didn't exist at the time.

So basically we fell thru a few cracks and there wasn't anything we could do about it, but i assure you we will get it sorted as quick as we can

if you have a glitch like the floating weapons one just pop back to the main menu and go back to your checkpoint
    (this forces every thing to be reloaded into vid mem)

works on a 5200 128ddr driver ver 61.77

cept for the big wall of the helicopter mission ... i guess it's something w/ the rotational nature of the level that things get skewed and twisted in vid mem ... but if you go to the previous mission last checkpoint ... and continue from there the helicopter mission is semi playable .... at least the AA gun stick out like a sore thumb and you can just center it on the screen and wail away
    (this wont work if you start off in the mission ... you'll have the loading skull flashin at ya and all ... on top of not seeing anything)

btw ... it's gotta be a good game for me to see around the driver problems this game is not just good ... it's great

For those of you looking for the 65.73 drivers you can get them here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=854
    as the Nvidia website still only shows the 61.77. These drivers originate 100% from NVIDIA and are not in any way altered, so this is an official NVIDIA WHQL set yet released by an OEM manufacturer. No setup.exe but if you are having video problems it's not hard at all to upgrade as the site says "the old fashioned way" of updating the drivers in the device manager.

those don't work for me. i get a sys dump everytime i try to play the game with those drivers from guru.

they work fine for me. Which video card are you using and which version of windows and service pack?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast