Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Thief Series > Thief: Deadly Shadows

Old 05-10-2004, 07:09 PM
New Player

Question New to Thief... Will Thief 1 and 2 run on XP???

I am planning on getting Thief III but when I hear people talking It's sounds like I missed some good games not playing Thief 1 and 2....

I have XP and wondered if they will even work...

Also should I play both Thief 1 and 2 or maybe just try Thief 2?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Gamer

Yeah, they both work fine. You will have trouble if you're running hyperthreading and/or if you're using the latest series of nVidia drivers. There are fixes for both those problems already, though. Sometimes the installer takes a long time to start up for some reason as well.

It's all detailed in the FAQ over at TTLG(in Thief General Discussion).
Old 05-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Gamer

What Salvage said. There's also the chance that, if you don't have certain codecs, then some of the mission briefings won't play.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Permanent Vacation

The performances is still pretty ropey on Thief 2. From what I've played so far, Framed has some sections where the frame rate drops to 10, and other parts is at least 70. Thief 2 has performed pretty badly on every computer I own. I have a P4 1.7Ghz, 256Mb RAM, and Geforce 2 64MB.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Gamer

I don't have any problems running Thief 1 on win 2000 pro (well ever since i've patched it), but i do have a problem playing the game, since all the guards and civilians and staff ar running aronud like they were athletics on steroids (actualy they ARE walking, but their movement is processed so fast that I can not play normaly).
So i sugesst You try the demo before buying games.

EDIT: I don't claim that my problem is related to operating system (actualy I seriously doubt there is any connection), I am just alerting you, that you may encounter several different problems, not only those regarding your windows version.

P.S.
If someone could help me, I would appreciate it (; .

Last edited by sesobebo; 05-11-2004 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:30 AM
Protagonist

Now, keeping in mind that I have absolutely NO IDEA what this means, I just read about someone on the Thief newsgroup having a problem with the AI moving too fast. He was told "Have you turned on the "Vertical Sync" in your graphics card settings" Apparently, doing this fixed it for him so maybe it will for you, if you know what it is. It also said to turn on full antialiasing.

I have played T1 & T2 on several different computers with XP and they work fine. As Salvage pointed out, if you have a nVidia card, you may want to stick with some slightly older drivers (I use 52.16 which work beautifully) or check out the FAQ Thread at the TTLG Thief General forum. You'll find all kinds of tidbits there about how to fix most problems that have come up for other people. There's a fix for the codec problem as well or you can do it the easy way and buy the XP Codecs, which work great!

You should definitely play both T1 and T2 and the bonus, is they're cheap to buy now. When you've gotten through those and the new T: DS, have a run at the Fan Missions that have been made for the first two Thief games. There's enough to keep you happy for months, they're free and easy to use and are, in some cases, better than the original game missions!
Old 05-11-2004, 06:43 AM
New Player

I have never been able to get T1 to work on my XP box. Everytime the game tried to load up a mission it would freeze the computer requiring a hard reboot. T2 never gave me any problems until recently. I purchased the latest Razer Viper mouse and once the mission tried to load the computer would freeze. I just reinstalled the mouse drivers and now T2 seems to be working just fine. T1 still does the same.
As far as the fast motion AI's in the game, I have experienced that as well. It happened after I purchased my 2.8gig processor with my ATI 9800pro video card. I wouldn't have believed that would cause the AI's to move faster, the FPS definitely, but not the AI. It was funny to watch all the guards move around like they were in a Benny Hill episode. The fix I had for it was to set the option from best performance to best quality and that slowed all the AI back down to a normal state. Probably not the best fix, but worked at the time.
One question about the fan missions. I have read over the instructions on how to install and use the fan missions, but I am close to no hair left from pulling it all out. I cannot get the fan missions to load. I would love if anyone has any suggestions on how to get them to work. Some of you guys have put in some serious work into these missions and I would like a chance to enjoy your hard work.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:57 AM
New Player

Have you installed the darkloader program? If so, then you need to setup Darkloader. click on setup icon, then add mission directories is where you download the fan missions.The best thing to do is to make a folder just for your fan missions. Then you need to type in where your thief directories are. That should be it. Then when you run the darkloader program you should see the the fan missions listed.Click on the game and then click on play. * note; You don't have to extract the fan mission files Darkloader program will do it . With New P4 cpu with hyper-threading you will need to do a little adjustment before running the game.When you start thief hit Ctrl,Alt,Del- then look for thief exe. and right click on it - then right click on set affinity- then uncheck one of the cpu listed-then close and the game should run fine.

Last edited by Kirk; 05-11-2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwalker
Now, keeping in mind that I have absolutely NO IDEA what this means, I just read about someone on the Thief newsgroup having a problem with the AI moving too fast. He was told "Have you turned on the "Vertical Sync" in your graphics card settings" Apparently, doing this fixed it for him so maybe it will for you, if you know what it is. It also said to turn on full antialiasing.
Thank You Nightwalker! Yes, I know what VSync is and I know where to turn it on/off (just for common knowledge: Vertical Sync is a function that synchronizes your number of frames pre secnd with your monitor frequency - meaning game only draws as much FPS as your monitor can draw and no more, by putting a cap to youre max frame rate. It improves the performance since your computer does not have to bother rendering frames, you won't even see). I have it turned off at the momment, becouse FPS counts alot in Quake 2, but I migth consider changeing that (; .
Old 05-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Gamer

ThiefFanatic, I had that problem too with Thief 1 (Gold) where it would freeze after the mission briefing. To fix that right click on the Thief Icon - Click Properties - Click Compatability - Under Compatibility Mode click in the check box and choose Run Under Windows 2000. That should clear that problem up.

Then I had that problem with briefings not playing once I fixed that. And to get the videos to play there was a fix that works beautifully, it has to do with finding some file, copying it to the Thief Installation Folder, and creating some text document and save it as something. Everytime the videos don't play just exit the game, double-click that created text file and they will run fine after that.

I had no problems running Thief 2 on XP aside from the videos not playing which was fixed with the above fix.

So yeah Thief games can play on XP, but they really really don't like that operating system. You pretty much have to trick the games into thinking it isn't XP.

Edit: All these tips and much much more are talked about in the Thief Technical Forum. There are like hundreds of will Thief run on XP threads.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:23 AM
New Player

Kuroth, If your planning on getting the previous games, don't forget try out some of the fan missions when you've finished the originals. Man!, your gonna need a lot of spare play-time.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Permanent Vacation

Also try under compatability, Windows NT 5.0 (Service Pack 5). This made my game a lot smoother.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:22 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarspoon
Kuroth, If your planning on getting the previous games, don't forget try out some of the fan missions when you've finished the originals. Man!, your gonna need a lot of spare play-time.

Thanks for the Info Jarspoon...