A while back Shadow Man posted a bunch of questions about LOK and I had passed them on to the team. Kyle Mannerberg and Jennifer Fernandez final got a chance to answer them, hope they are insightful. Thanks Jen and Kyle!
1. Is the first BO1 timestreaming device the one that was used to bring Turel back, Kain said something like, 'So she could bring creatures from other eras and dimensions'
Since Azimuth was the Dimension Guardian she could not pull creatures from other times only from other places or dimensions. Through the use of the Chronoplast she possessed Azimuth pulled Turel from the future back to the bowels of Avernus Cathedral.
2. Why do the Defiance demons have no souls, or is it just me?
Demons have no souls in Defiance for gameplay reasons, not for fictional ones.
3. When Raziel tears out Kain's heart where does he go?
When Raziel tears Kain's heart out, the blast of energy from Raziel is so strong that it blasts Kain through barrier that separates the different dimensions and into the Demon Realm. This is possible due to the corruption of the pillars which weakens the planar boundaries and the Hylden's prison.
4. Could you explain how Raziel is both heroes, just so I'm sure(I think I get it, but just to make sure)
Raziel's prophesized arrival is interpreted differently by the Hylden and Vampires, because of their different points of view. In Amy's words, "As the Hylden champion, he destroys the Vampire messiah with his fiery sword (the Reaver) by sacrificing himself. And as the Vampire hero, he vanquishes the Hylden savior, by obliterating him(self) with the Reaver." As the Hylden champion, he is able to bring about their "release" (in a sense) by bringing Janos back to life. As the Vampire Messiah, he purifies the Scion of Balance insuring that the pillars are once more in the possession of the Vampires. His ability to fulfill both prophesizes is because he alone possess free will and was able to make those choices.
5. Why did Raziel purify the future Kain, instead of going back a few minutes through time, before Kain refused the pillars and after he killed Hash, wouldn't that have fixed everything?
This goes back to our belief in the constant view that you cannot change history 'because you didn't' as shown in 12 Monkeys. If we run through the events you can see that purifying past Kain rather than Future Kain would have added a extremely fatal paradox into the time stream that would probably have expulsed Raziel all together if he tried to enact it by crossing two Soul Reavers. If past Kain is purified than the purification of the Pillars themselves would have changed the course of history most certainly eliminating all the events that led up to the remaking of Raziel all together. If that event does not happen then all the events that led Raziel to eventually purify BO1 Kain would never have happened thus making the purification itself a paradox. A change of this magnitude would probably, as stated in SR2, just expunge the irritant completely from history thus in the end ruining all of Kain and Raziel's efforts. Therefore only future Kain can be restored.
6. Why do the Dark and Light forges have no souls aligned to the, and how do they charge between when Kain goes there and when Raziel does?
Dark and Light are Elemental Forges without direct Principles to govern them so they have no Guardians which to provide souls. The other Elemental Forges such as Fire (Conflict and Nature), Water (Death and States), Earth (Energy and Time), and Air (Mind and Dimension) all are presided over by their original Vampire Guardians. Since the Elemental Forges were created for Raziel they do not activate for Kain.
7. Why do the shades charge up the wraith blade, I thought they had no soul?
They themselves do not have souls, but the Shades are formed by the fragments of half-devoured souls that cannot find their rest. Over time building themselves up enough form to coalesce into a Shade. Thus, even though they have no souls their form itself was once made from them.
8. How can the wraith blade be sucked into the blood Reaver with Raziel's soul, wouldn't that mean that there
are two souls in there?
The purified wraith blade that Raziel possesses is not drained into the Soul Reaver along with Raziel. In order for Kain to become purified by the wraith blade that contains the purity, the wraith blade must be dispersed or released from its imprisonment into Kain. Thus in that one single moment Raziel is simultaneously trapping himself within the Reaver but as well finally freeing himself from thousands of years of torment.
9. Why is the demons' blood red in defiance and BO2?
There are many different forms, shapes and types of Demon. They all do not have the same color blood.
10. Is Turel mad because of his imprisonment, or because of his gift from Kain?
Turel is mad from both his long imprisonment in the bottom of the Pit and the reoccurring possession of his mind by multiple Hylden as they use his voice as a vehicle to command his worshipers.
11. Why after the change in the BO1 timeline does Kain remember his normal past, when in SR2 Raziel says that he can see new memories forming behind Kain's eyes and old ones dying?
When we say here that the old memories are dying it is not that they are being erased from Kain's memory but instead being shuffled aside by the newer memories that reflect the altered course of history. Therefore he is not forgetting them he instead is holding in his mind two sets of parallel histories, one which is 'dead' and the other which is new and altered. This happens in BO1 but it is not directly mentioned by Kain.
12. This may sound stupid but is LOK influenced in anyway by 'Conan The Barbarian', in BO1 his daughter has been taken from him, like in Conan, and the woman in Conan is very like the Sarafan women in BO2?
No, Conan the Barbarian did not have any influence upon the LoK series.
13. In SR1 vampires couldn't be killed by flesh deep attacks, how can Kain?
Kain is never actually killed. When he has sustained great physical damage, Kain takes the form of bats and escapes so he may rest and recover his health.
14. Did Kain absorb his armor to give that design on his chest, like Vorador and his beard, and Zephon with the Cathedral?
No, Kain did not absorb his armor. The 'designs' upon his chest are merely the thousands of years of vampiric unlife and slow evolution showing upon his body making it more hard, rigid and scaly.
15. Are those vampire wraiths in Defiance(The Archons)?
No, the Vampire Wraiths and Archons are not the same creature though they do both devour souls. One of the larger differences between them is that Archons are agents of the Elder God while Vampire Wraiths are merely unfettered malicious spirits.
16. The concept art shows Raziel under the stronghold, was this originally meant to be playable, before it was decided to place Raziel where he starts?
Both characters were originally going to start in Stronghold, but that idea changed very early on in production.
17. The priest in Avernus are wearing what looks like copies of the death mask, if they are in Nupraptor's retreat in Bo1, does it mean that Mortanius and Nupraptor are allies, is it a conspiracy in the Circle, with Azimuth?
There was no conspiracy between Nupraptor and Mortanius and Azimuth.
18. Why are there 12 concept guardian spirits?
The 12 head concepts included were all explorations on the head dresses of the Vampire Guardians. As with all concept drawings many are done but only a select few make it into the game. Our art director picked the 8 which he felt were most appropriate for the look and style they were trying to achieve.
19. What about the last 2 chronoplasts in SR1? Do they mean Raziel is still alive, or going to be, and when Ariel says 'You must unite what has been set asunder does she mean just put the wraith blade back in the Blood Reaver, and not Raziel(That it's not Raziel's soul anymore)? I know that I could be grasping at straw, but it looked like his soul was swept away,(he went blue, but that could be his soul being sucked in, I don't know)so is really in there?
Some of the chronoplast visions Raziel sees in SR1 are alternate futures or possibilities of things that could have been, or illusions created by Moebius to steer Raziel off course. Ariel's reference to uniting what has been set asunder refers to many aspects of Raziel's cyclic destiny, the loop of the Reaver and his own soul, the purification of the pillars, Kain's reclaiming of his Guardian status, etc.
20. If the Hylden are exempt from the wheel, do they have free will, like Raziel, Kain and the Elder God? And can the be seen through time or not?
They are exempt from the Elder God's wheel of life due to their dislocation in a different dimension but not from the rules of fate and predetermined events that Raziel has been freed from with his remaking into the world. With their technological advancement it is very probable that they can glimpse at future events.
21. Does Raziel really feed the Elder God when he sucks souls?
When Raziel has a symbiotic connection with the Elder God, every soul that he devours returns that soul to the Elder God allowing him to re-spin that soul into the wheel of life.
22. How can Raziel now climb walls in Spectral?
This is a new ability that Raziel has learned over time, there is no actual in-game explanation given for this ability as it is a fairly minor addition.
23. How have 500 years gone by for Raziel, I thought time didn't go by in Spectral?
Though when moving from Material to Spectral Planes it appears that time has stopped, time does still travel just in a much different way than in the Material realm.
24. Does something happen Kain's death scar when he is healed, or is just me?
When Kain is purified by Raziel's sacrifice it heals the scar upon his chest. This is a visual representation of the physical and spiritual healing and purity that Raziel confers.
25. Why can't Kain swim, Rahab could and he was still alive when Raziel found him?
As seen in BO2 and SR1 different vampires develop different gifts. One of Rahab's gifts/mutations was immunity to water but weakness to sunlight. Kain on the other hand kept his weakness to immersion in water and developed other gifts. It is of note that he is immune to rain and snow because of the blood fountains he encountered in Blood Omen 1.