Thread: The Music From Deus Ex 2 - Invisible War And How To Listen Without Dx2 Open

Talking The Music From Deus Ex 2 - Invisible War And How To Listen Without Dx2 Open

From the 'how is the soundtrack' poll/topic (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30144), we got as far as saying a few things but I thought I should make a new thread to get people's attention who might not have seen that thread (which isn't obviously at first glance about how to get the music from DX2).

So, some information:

• The ambient music in Deus Ex 2 is made by the same guy that made the music for the original game.
    • The music 'by' NG Resonance is in fact real music performed by the band The Kidney Thieves. There are five tracks used from their 'Trickstereprocess' album for Deus Ex: Invisible War, but no one seems to know which ones they are/what their names are.
    • You need to use a program called 'Dragon Unpacker 5' to open the four .csc files in the Deus Ex 2 - Invisible War\Content\DX2\Sounds directory.
    • These all contain some of the soundtrack from the game, and the file called 'SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc' also, from what a member called JayCee posted, contains the music used for NG Resonance in the game.
    • According to 'Phthalo Type' and 'dcpDarkMatter
      ', to get the NG Resonance/Kidney Thieves songs you are supposed to use the HyperRipper program built into Dragon Unpacker, search for .ogg files in the 'SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc' file and extract them.

I've been having problems myself though at getting at the music, and so has 'TheFang'. The problem is to quote them, "the ripping tool included in dragonunpacker does basically work, but it only recognizes wav files and such, no .ogg. so only about 20% of the files are actually playable in winamp or xmplay, mostly just sound effects... "

If anyone can help, that would be great and please post here I thought it'd be helpful if anyone else has the same problem or wants to get the music and doesn't know how to as well.

(P.S. any moderator want to make this sticky/pinned/whatever? )
    Last edited by Sadokitty; 03-28-2004 at 01:10 PM.

An easier way is the DX2 Sound Drone: http://members.home.nl/m.r.visser/DX..._v1.0_BETA.exe

It lets you export all the sounds in the game. Open it up, sort by file size, and the music files will be down the bottom of the list (i.e. the biggest files).

Question

Thanks Random, nice program.

But any way to convert those .ogg files to a more user-friendly format?
    "Tell me about the shipment and I'll order the troops to pick you up as a prisoner instead of a corpse!" - JC Denton.

I'm not sure how to convert them. I'm sure there's a program that does it, but I don't know what. Winamp plays .ogg files, though, so I just use that.

That program (Deus Ex: Invisible War Sound Drone) is AWESOME... much MUCH easier than using any of the other programs I am wery happy, got all 5 tracks now.

For everyone's information, the 5 tracks from the Kidney Thieves' Album, Trickstereprocess that are used as NG Resonance's music in DX2 are:
    'Feathers' (dxiw sound drone filename feathers.wav - 9MB),
    'S+M (a love song)' (dxiw sound drone filename sandm.wav - 8.7MB),
    'Layers' (dxiw sound drone filename layers.wav - 9.2MB),
    'Trickster' (dxiw sound drone filename trickster.wav - 11MB) and
    'Taxicab Messiah' (dxiw sound drone filename taxicabmessiah.wav - 10.7MB)

A great program for converting just about any music or sound format to mp3 or wav is dbpoweramp,
    http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10...age&tag=button
    If you convert them to MP3 do it at 320KB/s so you don't lose quality, just get a smaller file
    Last edited by Sadokitty; 04-02-2004 at 08:02 AM.
    I wonder if Warren Spector ever reads my posts... that would be cool.
    --
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Thumbs up

Hey thanks for that Sadokitty, I'll give that one a try.
    "Tell me about the shipment and I'll order the troops to pick you up as a prisoner instead of a corpse!" - JC Denton.

Originally posted by DarkForge
    Hey thanks for that Sadokitty, I'll give that one a try.
    Np!!! Glad it helped
    I wonder if Warren Spector ever reads my posts... that would be cool.
    --
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

bump.... too many people asking me questions on how to do it... all info is here.

The real song I want is the one that plays whenever you talk to NG Resonance in that real time holo kiosk. What and where may it be found?

Talking

HAHAHAHA I FOUND IT. The soundtrack that NG Resonance dances to in the real time virtual Kiosk is called Holokioskfeathers.wav the ID is Holokioskidle. If you use DIXW you can rip any of the sounds........... I don't have a life.

i'm not very good with those programs...is there a way to download them?
    or can anyone send them to me?
    please...
    just send me an pm...the music's awesome and i already made an error once, trying to get the music with one of the programs...

salut
    gordon

Default Rip

Best way I saw to rip the songs was the Dragon UNpacker program. NOTE: you must have the other 2 add-ons for this to work. Here's a link to the website for the program. http://www.elberethzone.net/lang-en/dup-download.html. Install, and open. Go to File-HyperRipper. Open SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc, go to the Formats tab, put a check on the OGG format, and click search. It should find the 5 files.
    Last edited by Deadelus; 09-18-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: URL typo

My apologies for the thread necromancy, but would anybody please happen to still have a valid link to the Invisible War Sound Drone? I've been trying to track it down again without success.

Thanks in advance.

DX2 Soundtrack (only title and ambient) was free for download some time ago, not sure but maybe you can still find it out there...

Thanks El Zoido, but it was the Sound Drone I'm looking for. Anyway I think I've finally managed to track it down now, so no need to worry anymore.
    Last edited by DarkForge; 09-22-2010 at 07:25 AM.

I ripped this yonks ago and released it as the unofficial 3-disc soundtrack. Looped everything a couple of times and did fades and transitions where necessary.

Google my username plus deus ex to find it.

That's cool! thanks for the heads up because I am really looking for one. I will search your username online too.. That's timely for the holidays because I got nothing to do yet. My friends would love to hear that too.. I will share your music with them.

indir

Where is the folder the sound drone extracts to?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForge View Post
    Anyway I think I've finally managed to track it down now, so no need to worry anymore.
    Yeah, thanks for posting the link. Anyway, here it is:

Code:
    http://hotfile.com/dl/113090289/f8e33c6/DXIW_Sound_Drone_v1.0_BETA.zip.html
    Mirror @
    Code:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/f4tfgkahf

Sorry for necroposting a twice-dead thread, but does this program exist anymore?

edit: Found it. If anyone else comes looking for it, try here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tf..._v1.0_BETA.zip
    Last edited by dodopod; 08-31-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: answered my own question