Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Deus Ex Series > Deus Ex: Invisible War

Old 01-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Gamer

Default DX2 HighRes Texture Pack!

http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=208219

Note that this version no longer cares which version of DX you are running or whether it is modded or not. It also has a much improved texture enabler/disabler.

Screenshots taken at 1600x1200 +2xAA (yes it was a slide show!) Hopefully I'll try and get some more done soon.

Befores/Afters

After
Before

After
Before

Screenshot1
Screenshot2
Screenshot3
Screenshot4 edit: needs redoing
Screenshot5

Last edited by Koif; 01-24-2004 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Gamer

Looking good. I really hate the dark stuff around alex's nose. But... say I wanted only hi-res weapon skins. How would I go about selecting only those?

Last edited by Isotope; 01-10-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Gamer

Yeah, the scarred face doesn't really fit my idea of the character, but the world textures are superb. Nice job.

Now if only blast would reset my user ID *
Old 01-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Gamer

Screenshot's links arn't working.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by thegrommit
Yeah, the scarred face doesn't really fit my idea of the character

I have made some new versions of my skins; without the scars and beard, with purple eyes, etc.

Click the link in my sig if you want to take a look.

[EDIT]I have updated the purple eyes versions today, January 12th. If you downloaded any of my purple eyes versions yesterday, I would ask you to uninstall that version, and download again. I forgot the normal map for the lines that go from the purple eyes.[/EDIT]

Last edited by John P.; 01-12-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Gamer

sneaky bump
Old 01-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by John P.
I have made some new versions of my skins; without the scars and beard, with purple eyes, etc.

Click the link in my sig if you want to take a look.

[EDIT]I have updated the purple eyes versions today, January 12th. If you downloaded any of my purple eyes versions yesterday, I would ask you to uninstall that version, and download again. I forgot the normal map for the lines that go from the purple eyes.[/EDIT]
More nice work - glad to see you're having fun with this

I'm gonna link up another thread on weapon textures to make it easier to find:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...threadid=32299
Old 01-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Sabor

those res packs are the icing in a already great game. thanks!
but, i keep getting thrown out of the game. the game loads and runs but after a while it kiks me into windows and the games closes.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Gamer

Im not sure what causes this bug but someone else had it as well, I'm guessing it may be caused by insufficient memory to load all the textures. You may have to uninstall and wait for the next version of the texture pack (due in around a week) as this uses a different installation technique.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Gamer

Arrow Progress

Just a note; as of 1/19/04 the second version of the texture pack was a little less then a week from completion (judging from the modders forum at IS). It will involve a simplified installer (there were some problems losing textures in a very few cases with version 1), and close to 300 textures. Many textures from the first revision have been improved further and many new ones added. I'm sure Koif can elaborate more, but as he is busy wrapping things up I thought I'd give y'all a heads up.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Gamer

Thanks, not a lot more to add to that really, I'm still trying to chase the elusive graininess issue but I think it would require me to redo all 300 textures... It's a problem caused by the shading on the colour map and the normal map being doubled up. Also caused by the fact most of these textures are bath created and I haven't spent enough time on each one.

Anyway, next version will have a greatly improved installer which doesnt care what version of DX2 you currently have and lets you quickly choose which textures you want to use. Unfortunately I'm busy doing university work rather than making textures at the moment, mainly I'm just waiting for a few more textures to come in from other people before I release it.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:22 AM
Sabor

are you a ion storm team member? it boggles the mind how you could take the textures and sharpen them up. how do you do that?
i dont understand how a student, such as yourself, can create those textures and ion storm couldnt!
they (ion storm) should've given us those textures on the cd and given us the option to install them if we wanted them.
who cares about load time! more textures means longer load times, thats ok with me. hey, i played unreal2 more than a couple of times. the textures on that game are huge. load times are long. but, it was worth the wait.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Gamer

It's really not that hard making textures, most of the extra detail is just "faked" on top of the old ones, very few have them have actually been redrawn from scratch.

Basically you take the original image, resize it, use photoshop's lighting filter with a noisy bump map to add marks and scratches on top and then try and clean up the line quality as best as possible.

For at least 70% of the textures thats all you need, just an extra layer of faked fine detail on top, this is why a lot of them appear grainy, all the extra detail is just a hack on top. The basic textures take around 5 minutes each to redo with this process which is how you can quickly batch process a lot of them.

Load times with the newest version of the texture pack are around 30 seconds per scene, this is compared to around 12 seconds with default textures, an annoying difference but I don't know what we can do about it.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:53 PM
New Player

'sup Koif,

Personally I redraw them. The majority are far too f'd up to fake it. But on the plus side - It's definately worth it. The textures look extraordinary!

Kudos to the mod community for the fine tools and graphics work.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Gamer

Except for my pipes textures and partially my weapons texture, all my textures are redrawn to become high res.

I have used some texture effects here and there on the normal maps and sometimes subtly on the texture itself in the others as well. But I've put a lot of work into them.

For environment textures though, it's how Koif says; not much work to make them high res.

Last edited by John P.; 01-21-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:33 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Koif

Basically you take the original image, resize it, use photoshop's lighting filter with a noisy bump map to add marks and scratches on top and then try and clean up the line quality as best as possible.

Adding a noisy bump map. Is that done by going to noise-> add noise ?
Old 01-24-2004, 04:25 AM
Gamer

Texture pack is now heavily updated, original post edited!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Gamer

Question Alex character facial complexion

I downloaded and installed the texture pack. Wonderful job.

I like to play with Alex having a dark facial complexion, but the body model is fair skinned. Looks odd for a dark face and light body skin. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:40 PM
New Player

Hey, absolutely fantastic job! I am having a problem d/ling the weapons pack and glove view textures from your site, however. Either it's my comp or the links are broken (I really want to check 'em out).
Old 01-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Gamer

Default Re: Alex character facial complexion

Quote:
Originally posted by xarax
I downloaded and installed the texture pack. Wonderful job.

I like to play with Alex having a dark facial complexion, but the body model is fair skinned. Looks odd for a dark face and light body skin. Am I doing something wrong?
The Alex D face textures will only work if you choose the lightest complexion face when you start a new game.

If you have already started a game and are well into it with a darker face texture, you can still use these high res face textures in the texture pack(also found at my website), but if you do, it will obviously no longer be dark skinned, but the complexion of the face texture in the texture pack.

If you would like to play using the texture pack's face texture, you can do it by renaming a couple of files.

But you will also need to use a little program called ibdOverride to make it work.

If you would like this(and then play with a lighter skin Alex D as a consequence) just say so and I'll walk you through the process.

Last edited by John P.; 01-26-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Legendary Solid Snake
Hey, absolutely fantastic job! I am having a problem d/ling the weapons pack and glove view textures from your site, however. Either it's my comp or the links are broken (I really want to check 'em out).
Thanks for telling me(I'm guessing it's me you were talking to).

That was me making a stupid mistake while i was updating the page.

The links should work now.

However - they are the same textures that come with the High Res Texture Pack.

But I have some variations at my site which you won't find in the pack.

[EDIT] The weapons texture is not the same in the texture pack as at my site. And I would actually recommend the one in the texture pack over my own. I will make a new one in a while. As for now, the one in the texture pack is the better looking one[/EDIT]

[EDIT 2] Oops - didn't notice how pretentious that "As for now" comment sounded. What I meant to say, was that the weapons texture in the Texture Pack is better looking than mine, and that I'll be working at improving my own. Which doesn't necessarily mean my version will look better than the one in the Texture Pack even then.[/EDIT 2]

Last edited by John P.; 01-27-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 PM
New Player

this is the greatest thing to ever happen to deus ex 2 i wish some of the people that were initionally displeased with the game find out about this!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope they fix blood someday
Old 02-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Gamer

Nice looking textures, but for some reason I'm now getting "Grixels" for the first time. <strike>I haven't played IW for a good while though, so it's possible I've changed some video setting that are causing these. I'll have to look into that...</strike> Yep, it's a setting. I turned off the textures and I still get them.

BTW, would it be possible to add descriptions to the files in the IBD Loader? I was looking to disable female Alex D skins other then the green one, but I can't decipher what the d1, d2, n1 and n2 suffixes on the skin names mean. I imagine there are other people who might want to turn textures on and off selectivly, and descriptions would help them out, too.

I'm definetly going to beat the grixels out of my video card settings so that I can play with these uber textures.

Last edited by Mr. Perfect; 02-05-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:22 AM
Gamer

grixels = sparkling pixels?

seems to be a problem on ATi cards when you have AA, AF and bloom enabled. Try various combinations of them or turning them all off.

"disable female Alex D skins other then the green one"

Not to sure what you mean here, if you want to use the green one from john p's site then just download and install it.

if you want to turn off some of the skins then:

alexdfemd1.dds = face texture (d stands for diffuse map)
alexdfemn1.dds = face bump map (n stands for normal map)
alexdfemd2.dds = body texture
alexdfemn2.dds = body bump map
Old 02-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Gamer

Yeah, those damn shiney pixels. I had AA and Bloom off, actually. I reinstalled my video card drivers an they're gone now.

As far as the skins go, I thought that the green/blue/grey ones where all included and chosen randomly for each new game. I was looking for a way to turn off the grey/blues and use just the green ones, but I guess just the grey one is available.

BTW, I turned all of the textures on, but none of the recruits have new face textures. Billie doesn't have a new suit, either.