Thread: "You can't go back...."

Unhappy "You can't go back...."

Well, that's what they say. And you know, they are right. I was just sent a horror story, clothed as a god-send. The place I used to live, forest, river, ocean, has been made into a "382- acre planned, cutting-edge master community."

What the people building it, and writing about it don't seem to realize is that before the trees were cut down, it already was a community. Where are my wild neighbours now? The eagles, the raccoons, the tree frogs, the cougars, the owls?

I just have to express to you my loss and sadness. I know some of you will understand.

You have my full sympathy CS&P. In my lifetime, I have seen many places that I knew and loved turned into 'Award Winning' cutting edge developments. And every one of them are an eyesore compared to what they replaced.

Unhappy

Like theres a shortage of newly built designer communities.

Gonna be nothing natural left before too long.... in centuries to come this entire planet will have a plastic coating.

Unhappy

I'm sorry to hear you're sad news CS&P, stories like this make my blood boil!! All in the name of making the fatcat even fatter - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
    signature image Laramaniac signature image
    "Ohhh.....that's where we put the temple!!"

Ah, but sometimes you can go back.
    In the town I grew up in there used to be a local amusement park.
    Eventually it fell into disuse, closed down and was demolished.
    Nothing was ever done with the location.
    BUT NOW... after twenty five years or so, they are Restoring the Carousel!

I hope you at least have some pictures of the way things used to be.
    And you'll always have your memories.

Unhappy

It is somewhat easier though DEEK, for man to restore manmade structures, nature can't always be put back the way it was!! Thats the sadness!
    signature image Laramaniac signature image
    "Ohhh.....that's where we put the temple!!"

ugh

that pisses me off when people have to go about and do such things. because they really don't have to. seriously, we DON'T need all that crap. but we do need the forests.

and as Cat said, hundreds of animals of all kinds are left w/o a home and no where to go

ditto all the above

Down with the developers!!!
    They won't be happy until every natural habitat is a souless, concrete eyesore............as long as it puts money in their pockets - the hell with the rest of the world.

You ned to come and live here, Kitty. You can have thirty paranoid sheep and lots of squirrels and fieldmice as your new friends

Theres a sheep staring at me now. I mean..just...STARING. *shiver*

It's really sad when people say, "Take a picture, it'll last you longer," and it's really true

Sorry to hear about this predicament, CS&P. I can only imagine what it must feel like...

Move to Japan. The forests there will never go away.

Arrow

Ain't that just the truth................... now, what was I doing?

Thats horrible CS&P. I would hate to have that happen, luckily it hasnt around me yet. I dont why they demolish places like that just to build worse places, especially places that are special to a certain person.

Unhappy

Like the time I went back where I came from and saw the forested hill behind the house, which had been well out of town, grazed off and planted with a new strip mall complex and "home impovement center". My old home was in no way improved.

I remembered, as a kid, walking to the other side of that hill, there was one huge tree by itself I enjoyed sitting under, looking up at the clouds. Hard to do with metal lampost and 150,000 lumens sodium oxide nightlamp.

I'm sorry, CS&P.

Lightbulb

I'm sorry for your loss, Catsuit. My own neighborhood has fallen victim to progress over the years. Used to be a nice and quiet area with a small lake, and now we're surrounded by subdivisions and bombarded with boats and personal watercraft. It's not the bustling city mind you, but there is definately a difference between now and childhood.

Unhappy

well the nearly always emty beach i played on everyday as a small kid, now has a big ugly hotel sitten right there on the sand!
    i couldn't believe my eyes, glad i don't live near there anymore.
    signature image

Sorry CS&P - I understand completely - I've lived in Palm Beach County, Florida, my whole life - watched development the whole time - feel like becoming an ecoterrorist...

There are only a few Florida Scrub Jays left around where I live, the only bird I ever knew of, that would fly out of the forest, land on your hand, take a peanut, look at you, and fly back into the forest... look 'em up on the web...

We're loosing valuable things that we don't even know of, too - ever think of that ???
    Last edited by JunoJIm; 08-12-2003 at 08:18 PM.

Unhappy

I completely sympathise Catsuit, the exact same scenario is happening to the city I grew up in, all the fields and trees that used to stretch for miles behind my old house are gone now, destroyed to make way for the hideous eye-sore that counts as housing these days. I can't bare to go back there now, it just breaks my heart.

Unhappy They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum...

Joni Mitchell never lies.

Unhappy

aside from under-estimating the entrance fee

At least there's been a few attempts at restoring nature here in the US -
    Re-introducing wolves and moose into some of their original habitats.
    My Sister-in-Law in Florida is a Park Ranger. She and her crew have reclaimed
    some marsh and wetlands area down there and made it into a County Park and wildlife preserve.

There is a still a whole lot of estate developement here in good ol NJ (central state). What they should do instead, is burn or destroy
    the urban decays, and rebuilt it all new and safe and clean.

Paterson
    Newark
    Irvington
    Jersey City
    Asbury Park
    Trenton
    Camden

just to name a few

Thumbs up

Thats a very good point Spyro.

Money would be much better spent on tidying up slums or decayed urban areas, rather than levelling forests and so on to create potential new ones.

But wheres the profit in that?

Profit? Hmmmm.....