Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOMB RAIDERS (unreleased)

Cool TOMB RAIDERS (unreleased)

Raiders is an unreleased Tomb Raider title that was in development before Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light. It was designed as a co-op game that would have more closely resembled the gameplay of earlier Tomb Raider titles. The story focused on the clones of Lara Croft, known as the Doppelgangers. The project was canceled before there was much need for User Interface content, but I was asked to provide design mockups to help sell the intended tone of the game to the rest of the team.

DESIGN EXPLORATIONS:

(Sorry guys! Images removed by Meagan Marie at request of studio!)
    Last edited by MeaganMarie; 11-10-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Reported
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

The link is actually genuine though.

I'll read slowly to fully absorb what's just been posted though. We don't usually get to hear much about cancelled projects like this.

An actual game that just borrowes imagery from Paul W.S. Anderson films? This is more fake than the Piltdown skull if you glue Michael Jacksons nose to it.

These are just design mock ups to help sell the pitch. The idea was discared long before it could actually be a thing. I wonder how it would have worked though, seeing as it would feature an approach closer to the TR games instead of the isometric style we received with GOL.

Is it me or do a couple of those images feature Reboot Lara (the CGI model). How could this be if this was meant to be a game before GoL? Just curious. Surely CD weren't making TR'13 back then?

I see a TRU Lara outline in the first few images, but not a 2013 one. Which one do you mean, Rai?

Also irrelevant, but after watching the Turning Point trailer over and over I have to say, I see her TRA self clearly in some of the frames. D:

Ah, sorry for jumping the gun.
    signature image

@@Treeble, the 14th and 15th images. It's in the face. Either that's her face (and body in different clothing) or it's an uncanny likeness.

'Raiders' is an interesting concept, certainly. So, it was meant to be a secondary game not a main TR game, I assume? Yet it would have resembled more of a classic style? For some, I think, that would have potentially been more TR than the reboot.

Possibly just a coincidence - check the date the original was posted on this website: 2007. Not sure when the movie it's based on was released, but it probably was around the same time.

This was the original image:

(click image to enlarge)

I guess Milla Jovovich just looks like TR9 Lara in this image. This film was from 2007 by the way: so just in time for this concept art to be made... Looking at the website it's from I guess it's geguine. I'm happy it's cancelled though cause it looks like a terrible idea to me...

That's Mila Jovovich? Well in that image, she looks the spit of Lara in this one:

Different hair of course.

And yeah, I too can occasionally see a likeness to TRA Lara. I guess as the features are similar and they're both younger versions as well, it's easier to see a fit.

Aaaaaaaand... it's all gone. If that doesn't prove its authenticity, I don't know what would.

^^^^ What's gone?
    signature image

Images and references to this project in the artist's website.

Ah
    signature image

Did anyone save them? I didn't get to see them. ):

They were the same images that are in the o.p. There were no screenshots of game play or any Lara renders.
    signature image

the image links in the OP are not working.

^^^ Interesting. They still are on my mobile.
    signature image

@Rai:
    Yeah, from one of the Resident Evil movies:

Btw I have no idea what this thread is about (and I don't see any pictures in the OP either).
    signature image

L2R! Welcome back mate! Where ya been and how's life been?

There were pictures of a main menu from this cancelled project the OP was talking about. They had no pics of Lara, just pics of Aeon Flux and Alice from the Resi flicks with "Raiders" written over them. Concept art, I suppose. I wouldn't call them essential viewing for TR fans, but they were interesting given the context. They were apparently taken down from here, but they do still show up when I login to these forums on my mobile. Very strange.
    signature image

Hey guys and gals!

To step in and clarify quickly, yes, these were official concepts. The images posted were an early exploration of a game that eventually became Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. The concept evolved quite a bit before it became our first digital download game, similar to how Ascension was iterated on an incredible amount before becoming 2013s Tomb Raider.

Unfortunately, weve got to pull these down as they were intended for internal use only. Some of the concepts incorporated images from movies that fit the concept from a character and mood standpoint, and we think leaving them up will cause confusion.

Thanks for the confirmation, Meagan.

Good to know, thanks Meagan
    Although... Does this mean there might be some pre Guardian of Light art/footage that you can share? (As you did with Ascension)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast