Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should EM do with Thief?

cool
    steam says that i "played it 2 hours en 12 minutes for being precise.
    i wasn't talking about training.... im a gamer who goes slowly.
    whatever, it changes nothing to what i said before. i stopped it because i didn't feel free to go where i wanted, jump, go on a crate, ... all these things that make me feel like a real thief. and i never have the desire to "play" it again. but its my problem no?
    and for me (just for me ok ) the essence of Thief's series is freedom (in gameplay).
    i never talk about things that i dont know about the game like story.
    the problem is certainly that i was waiting for this game since so many years and i was expecting too much... i still do not understand why you buy a licence of a game with a unique style and want to make something different in gameplay...
    like if you do a reboot of batman and he can only fly when theres a green light on the screen.... its strange and its a nonsense. what is sure today its that if eidos makes another Thief, i will not buy it
    signature image
    Error. No keyboard. Press F1 to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by garvin View Post
    steam says that i "played it 2 hours en 12 minutes for being precise.
    So you were exaggerating? Naughty.

whatever, it changes nothing to what i said before. i stopped it because i didn't feel free to go where i wanted, jump, go on a crate, ... all these things that make me feel like a real thief.
    So did you feel like a real thief when you played Deadly Shadows? There were a lot of similar restrictions and changes, no?
    Examples, off the top of my head, include no rope arrows, dummy food, no swimming, you couldn't move freely inside the shop areas, the pagan-speech changed for the worse, some items were removed like speed potions, holding weapons no longer effected your visibility, no control over Garrett's arm when wielding sword or blackjack, restrictive one-strike dagger attack, the change in the leaning mechanics, ragdoll physics introduced, loading zones that froze your movement, no traditional style mission briefings, AI respawning...etc etc.

i still do not understand why you buy a licence of a game with a unique style and want to make something different in gameplay...

ALL the games changed in one way or another, no? I listed only a few examples above; there are more.

what is sure today its that if eidos makes another Thief, i will not buy it

Strange, but your call, of course.
    My attitude is perhaps more logical. I understand that creativity means allowing for boldness and for mistakes; and knowledge means learning from them.
    Last edited by Viktoria; 11-05-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: oops typo
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Eidos should return to a more traditional control scheme, greatly increase the size of the level zones, and add in proper audio propagation if they're going to continue with the series. Better writing almost goes without saying, but I feel like the awkward story was a result of the game (allegedly) being stripped apart and stitched back together a few times during development. So I don't think it will be too tough to improve on that.

If at least those few things get done, it would make a world of difference.

I think EM should just go all in on a reboot, and just make an updated version of the original games. They tried coming up with something new and original, and it got a lukewarm response. Now they should just bring back Stephen Russell and Keepers and Hammerites/Pagans and everything else. it would create some good industry buzz and hype, and would win over a lot of old school fans in the process. I heard complaints that all the people who gave Thief bad reviews were all old school Thief fans. Well, think of what kind of reviews you'd get if you made an effort to please them.

I'm guessing something like this would fare better than this last title did. How could it not?

I was just reading about Far Cry 4's editor, which is designed so that anyone can use it - they should implement something like that as well. I believe it's run right through the game itself, no external editing programs needed. With the amount of Thief fan missions out there, you'd have to think something like this would be a hit.

To all the naysayers, no, I don't think they should just remake all the original levels exactly the same and keep the same exact story as The Dark Project or The Metal Age. I just think they changed way too much in creating the most recent game. Some things in Thief should be standard - the factions, the light gem, Stephen Russell, excellent audio, large levels, free movement, and so on. Keep those things the same, and then get creative with a new story or some new tools or weapons or some new locales.. You could even make it an open world type thing ala Fallout or Skyrim. But keep the staples that everyone knows and loves the same.
    Last edited by brethren; 11-07-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Quote Originally Posted by brethren View Post
    Curious to know what the regulars around here think. So EM/SE still own the rights to the Thief franchise. What will they do with it?
    Probably nothing for quite some time.

What i would like to see is a reboot of the reboot. There were some good elements shining through the massiv layer of crap after all. I kind of liked the Matrix like story. I liked the swoop ( was a bit op though). I liked the fluid animations.

Free jumping, rope arrows and larger maps are a must for NuNuThief however. Don't care about SR at this point anymore (can't believe i just typed that )

Quote Originally Posted by ResonanceCascade View Post
    Eidos should return to a more traditional control scheme..
    greatly increase the size of the level zones..
    add in proper audio propagation...
    better writing

I agree.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

They should sell the rights to someone who understands what made the original thief games great or leave it be.

Another company might want to start with a faithful reproduction of the old games on a new game engine (i.e. one that runs on modern computer systems and with higher resolution graphics and perhaps with some minor improvements of the things that are widely recognized as problems in the old games). Once they have done that, they would have a modern thief engine and level designer (which they would release to the fans naturally) and would be in a great position to create a sequel, perhaps they could call it "Thief IV".

Quote Originally Posted by ResonanceCascade View Post
    Eidos should return to a more traditional control scheme, greatly increase the size of the level zones, and add in proper audio propagation if they're going to continue with the series. Better writing almost goes without saying, but I feel like the awkward story was a result of the game (allegedly) being stripped apart and stitched back together a few times during development. So I don't think it will be too tough to improve on that.

I'm guessing that can't be done without a compete rewrite. Good sound propagation isn't easy to program and should have been considered from the start of development. Map size is probably also a limitation of the game engine. They might be able to add lean buttons instead of the ghastly cover system but that would probably break the simplistic detection system used and I doubt they can change the contextual jumping, climbing and rope-arrow mechanics easily.
    Last edited by Viktoria; 11-14-2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: merged double post
    "I'm fine with horse, just don't call it beef."

It's a little too early to remake the original games. They have a lot of game assets and could go on from where it currently is. They could even have a cataclysm that could launch it in another direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MarrowMonkey View Post
    I'm guessing that can't be done without a compete rewrite. Good sound propagation isn't easy to program and should have been considered from the start of development. Map size is probably also a limitation of the game engine. They might be able to add lean buttons instead of the ghastly cover system but that would probably break the simplistic detection system used and I doubt they can change the contextual jumping, climbing and rope-arrow mechanics easily.
    I'm just suggesting what I think they should do for the sequel (while being realistic, since things like "bring back Stephen Russell" and "sprawling, nonlinear levels with a high degree of simulation" are pretty much not going to happen at this point).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12