Thread: What Would You Play In VR?

Default What Would You Play In VR?

Given a recent article about playing 'Alien: Isolation' on the Oculus Rift (check it out: http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/10/69...on-oculus-rift), I find myself longing for that experience. And with Sony and Microsoft also currently developing VR headsets I'm curious: What game(s) would YOU like to play in Virtual Reality?
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

I personally wouldn't, I hate the idea I can see why people find the prospect so attractive, with the immersion and all, but I just don't get it

I personally would love to play Alien Isolation in VR!

Imagine the notion that you feel like a part of that world. The beauty and the terror, all at the same time, attractive and inescapable (unless you remove the VR set.). The Alien, once just a menacing figure on a tv screen several feet away, now very much in your face! Walking the deteriorating corridors of Sevastapol with its blinking lights and constant steam bursts, or better yet, the corridors and vents of the Nostromo., anticipating the dread of encountering the creature. The spacewalks, beautiful to behold on an HDTV screen, now feel like a reality as you look about your environment and see the void, the gas giant, the sun, and titanic Sevastapol station looming all around you. You would probably feel as though you actually need that space helmet on your head as you walk through the merciless vacuum. (LOL, you might even feel afraid to remove your VR goggles.)

I think first person games in VR would be a no-brainer. I would also love to play Elder Scrolls and Fallout series in VR. Walking through monster inhabited caves, or the renegade riddled Wasteland.....I would relish it.

Yeah, I can see why some would balk at the idea, what with wanting to keep themselves distant from the sense of immersion, but I just don't get it. (Not meant to sound snarky toward Big House's view, btw.)

In reviewing the reader comments on that article, one thing is clear: whether you would like to try VR or not, Alien Isolation itself is just so damned scary and stress inducing on its own that even without VR, many of us actually have to step away from that world once in a while. I must say, this is probably the single best survival horror game to come out in years....since the likes of Silent Hill 3 or the remake of Resident Evil. . A:I is so well done that its fright and stress elements seem almost nonconducive and indeed almost discouraging to prolonged game play. I wonder if Creative Assembly realized this when they crafted and developed this game? Or is this an affectation they really didn't count on with it being so well made? . Either way, they need to pat themselves, and each other, on the back for a job well done!
    Last edited by Lord Martok; 10-14-2014 at 05:52 AM.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

I agree, Alien Isolation on the Oculus Rift sounds amazing.
    signature image

The Nomad Soul for sure ! Loved the universe, Kay'l and our soul who travels from body to body...
    signature image

A burrito eating simulator...

(click image to enlarge)
    signature image
    "@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    A burrito eating simulator...

(click image to enlarge)
    "Montezuma's Revenge: Burrito of Retribution"
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

At first VR looks like a great idea for first persons shooter style games, but if you are sitting playing it the motion in-game vs stationary you will just make you feel sick after a while. Even if you have one of those platforms that allow the sensation of movement there are still parts of modern games like QTE and cutscenes that will cause nausea because of the forced movement.

On the other hand, games like flight/vehicle sims where you are seated in-game would have a lot better immersion and less side effects.

The Sims with all the expansion packs. Then I'd never leave.