Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did the reboot add to the Tomb Raider series

Question What did the reboot add to the Tomb Raider series

What do you think this new rebooted Tomb Raider is adding to the series that they couldn't have done with the old style?

I feel like they took something iconic and made it generic by downgrading everything so they can be like uncharted. I don't see how people can like all this tryhard copy and paste games.
    YOU'RE NOBODY TILL SOMEBODY KILLS YOU.

i would say more character development. making her more in to a human being.
    signature image

I think this thread is more suitable for the TR9 forum .

Anyways , I think the reboot made me connect with lara unlike any past TR .

The reboot has also added a rather excellent combat system to the series . I think the fluid auto cover system is better than what it is in Uncharted ( this is subjective of course ) . The combat is very visceral and you have to move a lot which I really like .

Tomb Raider is not about shooting but combat has always been there since day one and its nice to see TR stepping up in that department .

The hubs are also an addition I liked . My main gripe with the game was the simple straightforward level design and the whole signposting ( white ledges , "secret tomb" bell ) .

The platforming feels better ( to me ) than LAU . You can climb up and interact with the environment a lot more and mid - air steering makes lara feel very comfortable to control .

I only hope they figure out a better balance between exploring and shooting and seriously improve the level design ( specially of the interior spaces ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post

I only hope they figure out a better balance between exploring and shooting and seriously improve the level design ( specially of the interior spaces ) .
    i hope the same too. being forced to go that way and kill everyone is not exploring to me. less killing, more exploring.
    signature image

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    i hope the same too. being forced to go that way and kill everyone is not exploring to me. less killing, more exploring.
    The puzzles were very fun in TR2013 it would be nice to get more puzzles.

I can think of several things:

• Character development
    • Refined roleplaying elements
    • Customisation and upgrading
    • A much anticipated M/18+ rating (allowing for more content)
    • A rewriting of Lara, allowing for different story archs
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

Longevity, exposure to new audiences, and relevancy. Let's be honest, TR had been an almost cult series for quite awhile. The Cult of Croft was strong, but in order to survive and thrive it had to grow.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

I like how the reboot gave CD the inspiration to be bold. Underworld was far too much a play it safe game. The areas had great detail and the way puzzles were integrated into the environment was great. The stealth type combat with the bow worked very nicely.

On the negative I really missed the stylish outfit choices, iconic figure and edgy attitude of the classic Lara. Those combined probably slightly outweigh what was gained.
    signature image

I think they added that human essence the older games always lacked. I have to say that a lot of the responses that I've seen such as the three previous to mine I agree with as well.
    signature image

umm gonna be different and state what they added that was bad.. WAAAAAAY to many active time events... hit this button to dodge that is simply, not fun...
    . My mother, of all people (Shes almost 65), just beat the game in about 2 1/2 days of playing it.. she said it wasn't so great (Was too easy).. she, one who has played every TR game, didn't like that she couldn't do what she wanted.. dispatch people the way she wanted instead of what the game forced her to do, and no exploration or real puzzles and definitely too linear(forced to stay on path)...
    TR is about exploration and puzzles galore, not active time events and combat just for the sake of combat

It added a bow and arrow.

Beyond that, not much.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    It added a bow and arrow.

Beyond that, not much.
    Don't forget the ability to shoot flying birds.

Did anyone else spend a few minutes taking out Seagulls on Shipwreck Beach each time you went there? And not just for XP? It brought out a cruelty to animals I never knew I had in me, I swear...
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    Don't forget the ability to shoot flying birds.

Did anyone else spend a few minutes taking out Seagulls on Shipwreck Beach each time you went there? And not just for XP? It brought out a cruelty to animals I never knew I had in me, I swear...

While I acknowledge that there were a number of QuickTime events they didn't really bother me as much as they seem to bother other people. I just did them and moved on.

In terms of what the reboot gave us, I think a chance to get a Lara that we could hollow on a journey. We kind of had one from the original Core games, introducing a character the eventually filling out her life with characters such as von Croy. By the time we get to TR:U and as much as I loved most of those games it felt like there wasn't anywhere left to go with the character for me as it stood at that point. Now I feel like there is a whole new adventure waiting to happen for Lara as a character.
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

It made Lara a much more realistic type woman, and not some young dude's sexual type fantasy of what a woman should be like.
    signature image

Lara Croft is an adventurer and action heroine. Her sexiness was more a reflection of a confident and capable woman. As for her sexy attire during adventures, well, people still wear far less on a beach, so Lara was pretty conservatively dressed by comparison. Beyond that, the only thing that over-sensitive folk had to b about was her breast size, which was gradually reduced over time to something that the Anita Sarkeesians of the world could agree with, and something that still appeals to healthy male fantasy.

And then the reboot came along....

It's a good game, but I want my sexy and capable Lara Croft back.
    And I guess, to satisfy that, I'll have Temple of Osiris soon.

I think the reboot added an origin story that Lara deserved years ago.
    We've never really had a proper introduction of Lara and what she was like before becoming a tomb raider.
    I'm not surprised people want the old and tough Lara back but I reckon she'll make an appearance quite soon, we just need to be patient a little bit longer.

What's more, I feel Lara's personality is much more complicated and interesting.
    She seems to be this casual girl who ends up doing extraordinary things. In the early games, there was absolutely nothing that she was afraid of, no matter how scary the environments or enemies were. To tell you the truth, I loved it back then but it's great that her character is shown in a different perspective.

As for her sexiness, I agree it's something that needs to radiate from her personality rather than an outfit or breast size. It's quite a big contrast to the times we live where people become insanely popular because of a sex tape

Actually, to me it seems people become insanely popular because of drug addiction and celebrity acting outs... (Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan are two that come to mind)..... so I'll take the hot adventure vixen in the sexy outfit, please.

I have been a fan of Tomb Raider since 1996. I loved all the old games, and am loving the new games very much as well. I think that an evolution of a game is essential for it to survive (look at the evolution of Mario). I really love the direction that CD has chosen to pursue with Lara Croft, they have done an amazing job and I congratulate them!

There is just one thing that bothered me a bit on TR9. It is the QTEs. The first few were really awesome and kept you engaged in Laras dangerous encounters. But, after a while, it felt like there was just too much going on. Too many ledges falling, things exploding, bridges collapsing, and destruction everywhere.

I like the fact that CD experimented with this and tried it out. But to me, the game started loosing some of its believability as you got through it. I know this is key to making any cg work of art.

For the future of Tomb Raider, I would like to see much fewer QTEs.

Despite this, I am overall satisfied with the entire game, I think it was executed meticulously and professionally, and most omportantly, fun Its just some small things that got in the way of my experience. Good job CD!!

I completely agree with you.
    I've been a TR fan since '96 as well, and it's great to hear positive feedback from a long-time fan. There's quite a lot of us who seem to have got stuck in the past and don't understand that the series need to evolve in order to survive.

Wonder how many Mario fans will stay on when they try to turn him into a dramatic, believable, and more human character? Yeah......dat'sa what I'm-a thought.

Desexifying and nerfing Lara Croft is not evolution. It is pandering to the Anita Sarkeesians of the world, who will hold the world back far worse than the most stubborn conservative ever will.

I'm not stuck in the past. I live in reality. ... and sadly it is a reality that the Sarkeesians of the world would not like.

Well, I definitely wasn't referring to you.
    The reboot's sales were excellent and so were the reviews. You can't really argue with the figures.
    The new Lara still remains sexy, at least in my opinion, so I don't see the need to put her back in shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    The new Lara still remains sexy, at least in my opinion, so I don't see the need to put her back in shorts.
    Well... because around the equator and in temperate zones in summer it gets friggin hot.

It's fairly normal for girls to wear hotpants in those circumstances. (providing that they don't feel uncomfortable about their bodies, don't have very orthodox religious beliefs and don't belong to the Sarkeesian fanclub, none of which are applicable to Lara, I think...) I think in such cases to give her long trousers would be kinda forcibly avoiding showing skin where it wouldn't be contextually inappropriate.

Like going to the beach in a santa claus suit, if you take my meaning.

Well yes, in the correct climate, shorts would actually be more practical. But then there are shorts and hotpants. Hotpants are skimpier and tighter fitting, which can actually be uncomfortable in hot weather. There's nothing wrong in Lara wearing shorts and there's nothing desexualising about putting her in trousers either. What Lara is wearing shouldn't be an issue, imo...as long as it isn't meant to be obviously sexy, IE: over tight and too revealing...if the outfit she's wearing is meant to be practical for the environment and climate. If there are story reasons why Lara is dressed sexily (which doesn't have to mean excessive amounts of flesh on show), then that's also acceptable. However, Lara can also still come across as 'sexy' in ordinary wear. Clean reboot Lara looked quite appealing and that top could have been seen as revealing from certain angles . Looks aside, a certain personality can also been seen as sexy to some.

I'm not sure I'm expressing myself adequately enough so as to not come across too 'Sarkeesian' as I certainly do not support her views, for the record.

To keep on the subject of what the reboot brought to the franchise, others have said it before me. We've not seen her origins before beside her short trip with Werner to Cambodia where she barely faced any real danger and on that Irish island. It's nice to see her actual start towards tomb raiding. Although we've also seen glimpses of different sides to her personality, we'e never really seen her properly vulnerable or unsure of herself. I liked exploring that side to her. I'm positive she'll grow more confident and more able to cope too as time goes on. We saw a little of that at the end of the game and she can only go forward from there. I liked seeing her as a regular girl who was thrown into extraordinary circumstances and learned to cope and came through on top. I liked seeing her with colleagues and friends rather than constantly on her own. I'd prefer it if she eventually does start going it alone over time, but for her first major exhibition, it made sense she was part of a crew. Also, gameplay wise, I loved the bow. It's not brand new as we've had a crossbow in TR:LR, but still this longbow was new and really well executed.
    Last edited by Rai; 11-15-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Blabbering on as usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast