Thread: Is The Gaming Community Getting "Burnt Out"?

Default Is The Gaming Community Getting "Burnt Out"?

Edit: I figured this discussion deserves a dedicated thread, so I moved the relevant posts from the Humble Abode to here. Will move the thread to the OT section later on

-----------

What do you guys all think of this? Is there any truth to Rich' theory?

Is The Gaming Community Getting "Burnt Out"?

Re: Destiny, Reviews and Aging Gamers (GameSpot Response)

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    i think i have to run in to a wall that get my get straight. how could i not understand your previous comment?
    anyway, at least we agree that this mother is lunatic.
    Did you get your get straight yet?
    Last edited by Driber; 09-29-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: update

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    You know, the gaming industry has become such a lucrative business, in my opinion.
    Gaming studios have changed into corporate machines. All they think about is how to earn the most from the titles they create.
    In the 90s when I started gaming with Lara, games didn't seem to be for everybody. Nowadays, it's the casual gamer that counts the most.
    It's a type of gamer that quickly finishes the game and wants to move on to another one. That's the person who spends the most on games.

I don't think people are getting burnt out on gaming, if anything I think the last 8 years have been a great time to be a gamer. There's been so much variety and so many well crafted stories over the last few years that I think the period will go down as the most creative in the mediums history aside from the late 80's-early 90's.

With that being said tho, I do think people are getting burnt out on repetitiveness. FPSs, for example. The only difference in FPSs that I see is what story is being told. Take 'Bioshock' out of Rapture and put it on land, and what game is it now? But that's a genre I think (based on my observations) that 75% people play just for multi-player.
    And I've seen a lot of people say things such as "Multi-player is getting old. It's all the same." Well, yeah. Seems to me there's only so much you can do with FPS multi-player: Capture the flag, team kills, free-for-all. But, I am someone who has never played FPS multi-player, and don't typically play any FPS games, so take that for what it's worth.

And the corporate milking doesn't help, either. Much like 'Tomb Raider' in the late 90's, I think if you give too much too soon, you're gonna pay for it. People know what to expect and are less willing to spend hard earned cash on something they've already bought 2 or 3 times already. 'Rock Band' and 'Guitar Hero', for example. I think if those games had been spaced apart in releases for 2 or 3 years, those series would still be around today. Of course, if they'd not had the same track listings as the other, that probably would've helped as well. I'm surprised 'Asassin's Creed' is still alive. Every year you know there's going to be one of those. And it's always going to star a guy who doesn't know how to smile.

As far as games not living up to hype, I think that comes down to what hype a game is being sold on. 'Watch Dogs' was sold on hacking. It was built up on something that is a clever idea, but I'm sure is not something everyone is into per se. And the ones that are were probably let down that it just came down to pressing one button. Again full disclosure, I've not played it. Just going off of what I've read in comments and whatnot. 'Destiny' and 'Titanfall' were hyped up because of who made them. 'Destiny' for the Bungie connection, and 'Titanfall' for the C.o.D. Infinity Ward debacle a couple years back. I'm not saying those are not great games, again, I've not played them, but that's all I remember reading about the most in press releases and reviews when those games were building up to release dates.

Aging gamers? Meh, depends on the person. For myself, it's been interesting to watch this medium and the technology in it evolve over the decades.

Story, for example, has been really fun to watch expand. Sonic never needed a plotline. Just run, grab some rings, beat Robotnick. Now he's got to have more motivation, and sometimes a cross-species love story. Not complaining about that, just an example. Story has become so important over the last decade or so that I feel it's what has become the 2nd best appeal to a game, next to gameplay itself. People will now play an absolutely graphically terrible game if the gameplay is solid and the story is great.

I would love t sit here and spew more, but I'm running late for work already. So possibly to be continued...
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

@driber
    yeah, i did get my get straight.
    cant believe i didnt see that.

@videos
    certainly covers some good points there. games are getting milked. but then, how much change do you want with a certain franchise?
    like assassins creed. i certainly enjoy the franchise and im looking forward to unity, but the reason is that i like history and the setting it plays in. all you can do is only adding new features in to it without steering away from the core element like controls, view and sword fights. if they would make AC in to a RTS game, then people will automatically say its a "age of empires" clone.

with indie games, i see it this way:
    sure, people cry out that there is no innovation in todays games and especially from AAA companies. but the thing is, they dont make any changes. they stick with the formula most people are familiar with. indies go around it and are either very successful or not. i personally have played a bunch of indie titles and some i liked and some i didnt and some i just could not get in to. but because of these changes, people feel like that something is being taken away from them or what ever they think is the problem that they cry out.

i like to mention 2 games that are totally underrated.
    #1. experience 112 (for some odd reason the english title is "the experiment").
    #2. the void

to #1:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

this is a french-canadian game. you dont play the woman you see on the cover, you "GUIDE" her. and its actually really well done. you guide her from a surveillance perspective. you have pretty much full control over the ship she is on. you can lock and unlock doors, turn lights on and off, read files on computers to find codes to unlock doors, control drones and a small submarine. you can even switch to infrared, night vision and others i cant think of now. it does give you a feeling you are some sort of surveillance security guy helping out a person who cant proceed without your help.

is the game perfect? no. but a very interesting game to play and should have gotten more attention and be played by many. its really a refreshing game and such a huge change from the usual adventure games out there. it is a slow game and kind of understandable that it does not appeal to everyone. at times i also wished she would run a bit since the ship isnt small.
    the only real weakness would be the story. it gets really interesting but the further you proceeded, the more questions you had then getting answered. didnt matter if you read every single file you found, you were still left with questions.

to #2:

(click image to enlarge)

a russian game.
    you are a soul who ended up in the void and you have to restore the place by bringing back colour. to do that you have to collect colours and free these so called "sisters", who have been imprisoned by the evil beings called "brothers". and boy, these "brothers" sure look grotesque. you could think that the developers were taking LSD with their vodka.
    anyway, it has several endings because each side and even each character has their view and reasons and its up to you to decide whos side you join. you can even free your self and ignore everything and everyone or free an single sister.
    each sister has their own personality and their own world. they are even naked when you enter their soul world, where you can give them the required colour which gives you more access to the void.
    colour is a very important part that is your weapon and your health. losing them is disastrous and the game punishes you if you are not careful enough.
    a easy patch was released because it was so hard and i agree; it really is hard.

its a first person game but you dont have any weapons you expect to have. your weapon is colour. to use them, you can select the colour and draw the shape that has its power, like a circle is a protective shield. each shape can be unlocked the further you progress.

also a game that is far from perfect but really unique that its worth playing. i was just amazed with the mechanic and the view the game went. even the music is very special that just suits perfectly in the world you are in.
    signature image

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. I enjoyed reading your opinions

And WinterSoldier, feel free to spew more, heh

I also found another video on the topic with some more interesting points:

I can certainly relate to the 'backlog issue', heh. There are still games sitting on my shelf waiting to be played for several years now.

Is it the same for you guys as well?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I can certainly relate to the 'backlog issue', heh. There are still games sitting on my shelf waiting to be played for several years now.

Yeah, I've loads of them. Some are games I bought on a whim of "Well, let's try something new..." and just never have for being caught up in a current game and either forgetting about it, or just not being in the mood for it. 'GTA 5', for example. And while FPS is not my first genre choice, I've also 'Doom 3', 'Duke Nukem Forever' and 'Bioshock 2' waiting. A few others as well, but I'm not near my shelf so I couldn't tell you what they are.

It's moreso me getting caught up in a current game. I'm a 100% completion addict, and if I really dig a game, I'll spend weeks getting everything out of it.
    signature image

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. I enjoyed reading your opinions

And WinterSoldier, feel free to spew more, heh

I also found another video on the topic with some more interesting points:

Nope no backlog for me, I am actually looking for something new to play(Hello DriveClub) as I have not bought a game since Watch Dogs in late May.

the only game i left on my shelf for years was myst 5. but i did manage to play it eventually.

@video
    lol, he stopped playing COD just like me. only i got MW3 because i refused to get origin after deciding to get BF3. and now i stopped playing it as well after the downfall of BF4.

but it happened to me as well that i stopped playing a certain game because something else got my attention and didnt play it for ages.
    but i think it depends on tastes as well and preferences. steam sure has a lot of choices but like he said with his mother, we cant decide what we want. you dont want to waste time and money. it is difficult what you want and/or if you want to continue.
    signature image

The problem with gaming is the dominance of the FPS. I look at the games shops and I just see a whole range of FPS games that are just so much all the same. I find them rather uninspiring. Nearly all the games I play recently are RPG, platformers or strategy games made a few years ago rather than the most reacent titles with TR(2013) the only exception. I dislike the heavy QTE style that many modern titles use where you get less control over the game that makes them just over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    Story, for example, has been really fun to watch expand. Sonic never needed a plotline. Just run, grab some rings, beat Robotnick. Now he's got to have more motivation, and sometimes a cross-species love story. Not complaining about that, just an example.
    Sonic is one series where the team has tried to add layers to the formula and actually in that series it doesn't work for me. It's serves to undermine the simplicity that makes the series so great. I think it's far better when a series plays to it's strengths (more like Sonic 4 Episode 2) than tries to be a poorer emulation of the action, action, action stuff everyone else is doing.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    The problem with gaming is the dominance of the FPS. I look at the games shops and I just see a whole range of FPS games that are just so much all the same. I find them rather uninspiring. Nearly all the games I play recently are RPG, platformers or strategy games made a few years ago rather than the most reacent titles with TR(2013) the only exception. I dislike the heavy QTE style that many modern titles use where you get less control over the game that makes them just over the top.

true. pretty much most FPS are the same and unfortunately they have QTEs. this year i didnt buy many games. but i got some nice games from steam when they were on sale. also playing some older titles. i did get my self watchdogs yesterday and so far its alright but it does have some serious optimization issues. and a lot of people have them too. after some tweaking i was able to get it run decently. otherwise, i stick to the older titles that are actually fun.
    signature image

There are just too many FPS games out there. All the other series I am into seem to be getting longer and longer between releases and all that seems to come out is more AAA FPS games every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Triangle3 View Post
    There are just too many FPS games out there. All the other series I am into seem to be getting longer and longer between releases and all that seems to come out is more AAA FPS games every month.
    a lot of indie titles as well. if you check out steam, you will see quite a lot of FPS titles. not only action shooter but horror as well.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Triangle3 View Post
    And zombie games. Can't forget those.
    signature image

I'm only burnt out because I play video games too much.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I'm only burnt out because I play video games too much.
    welcome to the club.
    signature image