Thread: Cinematic action vs horror elements

Default Cinematic action vs horror elements

Recently I've decided to replay the original Tomb Raider (1996), although it was quite a struggle to make the game run on Windows 7.

I was really surprised that the game which was released 18 years ago still manages to make my heart beat faster and scare the s*** out of me

This is were I started thinking what makes a good Tomb Raider game?
    Is it the cinematic action that we experience in new TR games or perhaps it would be a good idea to include the horror factor that was present in the old games?

What would you guys prefer to experience?

Personally, what makes the original games scary to me is the lack of control, bulky movements and strong ass enemies were always my downfall. The new games are so fluid and fancy, there's no real chance of human error. Although I'm partial to a bit of Horror, I must say the cinematic parts of the newer games are fun to watch. So, I don't know, I don't want a Slender style TR, but then I don't want a CoD style one either...

I think we should just go back to TR's roots that made it what it was, but fear not the new elements that make modern games successful. I think the last instalment, TR2013 had a fair balance of mostly everything, but not enough tomb raiding to justify its title. I mean, understand that it wasn't much of a tomb raiding experience because it's meant to take place before Lara develops that...hobby, for lack of a better word. But judging by the announcement trailer for ROTTR, it seems as though it was foreshadowing the return of in-depth tomb raiding and traversal.

I just hope the presence of human enemies is much less significant than it was in ROTTR's predecessor. It was one thing I hated about Tomb Raider Legend, was the human adversaries. I know the plot called for them, but it's not what Tomb Raider is about. I liked it in Angel of Darkness, since it was a fair balance of both human, animal and supernatural, and I hope they continue in that direction.

Not to get off topic, but what I'd really like to see in the future is a modern reimagining of Angel of Darkness, complete with Janice, the Louvre and dialogue choices.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

I wouldn't mind an equal mix. I dug those moments in Egypt of foreshadowing the mummies by hearing them moan around a corner out of view, then they scream like a banshee, jump at you, and give you a start. Tho I personally don't think of them as "horror" moments, but definitely a jump scare. I think the games have evolved with the times in terms of what gets balanced and where, as you have to if you want to survive.

Being a fan of thematically dark works tho, I wouldn't mind a darker in tone TR, which is the implications I'm getting from the 'Rise' preview. Not dark as in 'Dead Space' or 'Silent Hill', but definitely upbeat and cheery 24/7. TR2013 had it's dark moments, for sure, as all of CD's TRs have. And I'm not about to complain about any of them. Now with that being said tho, I still haven't caught the attempted rape scene I've heard others say were in TR2013. Not that I'm condoning or supporting rape in anyway, but that would have been incredibly dark and very ballsy on CD's part to include. I'd have applauded them for taking that risk.

The snakes in TR3 still make jump to this day. No idea why since I know they are there and where they are.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

For me the scary thing about the first adventure with Lara was probably the suspense.
    Dark areas, ambient music, loneliness and claustrophobic corridors. Also, the fact that you had to save up ammo because it wasn't lying everywhere like in recent games. It made you think twice before using a shotgun, for example.
    I really wish the next TR game would elaborate on these elements of gameplay.

I have nothing against cinematic action but I want to feel that I'm playing a game and not watching a Hollywood blockbuster film.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    For me the scary thing about the first adventure with Lara was probably the suspense.
    Agreed.
    I can't recall how many times I would be exploring and suddenly the music would intensify and here comes a creature or animal barrelling toward you out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    I have nothing against cinematic action but I want to feel that I'm playing a game and not watching a Hollywood blockbuster film.
    Agreed, once more. Video games are expensive these days and what most developers are forgetting is that we don't want to be told or shown something, we want to experience it ourselves.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    Personally, what makes the original games scary to me is the lack of control, bulky movements and strong ass enemies were always my downfall. The new games are so fluid and fancy, there's no real chance of human error. Although I'm partial to a bit of Horror, I must say the cinematic parts of the newer games are fun to watch. So, I don't know, I don't want a Slender style TR, but then I don't want a CoD style one either...
    I would just add that those strong enemies pop out of nowhere or you hear noises and you're like o____o' whilst going around a corner. Imo the new game just made sneaking way too easy so you never get a surprise (not sure if you can call that a horror aspect though).

I also really loved the open-world type puzzles of the old TR games. You could go around exploring the entire level but you have to pull levers in a certain sequence to get anywhere, with little hints along the way. Sometimes I would even draw myself a little map to find my way around hehe *reminisces at the old days*
    ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻