Thread: SQUARE-ENIX trying to turn Eidos Interactive into a Persistent Online experience

Default SQUARE-ENIX trying to turn Eidos Interactive into a Persistent Online experience

S I read this today.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659601
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Darre...try_change.php

I am very mad about this because I do not like video games that are supposed to be singleplayer only to have multiplayer or singleplayer video games to be connected to the internet.

I hope this back fires massively for SQUARE-ENIX. I mean look at Ubisoft's uPlay so many PC gamers complained about the always online Digital Rights Management (DRM) component that Ubisoft made it so you can play in offline mode.

Forcing internet for video games is a bad idea, sometimes people need to move and can't have internet for 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. Some parts of the Earth people have bandwidth monthly caps.

This is the worst thing to happen in video game history.

Many of you know me and that I like to purchase video games 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free on PC, since PC is the only system I play video games on.

So I will say this that by reading this news I will effectively immediately never purchase video games published by SQUARE-ENIX and Eidos Interactive any more.

The seal is stamped and done. I will be purchasing my video games from gog.com only, no more from Steam, and SQUARE-ENIX, and Eidos Interactive.

I put yesterday or day before yesterday Final Fantasy XIII with hoping to also purchase XIII-2 and Lightning Returns when they get released for sale in 2015 on my wish list, but now I removed it.

I'm sticking to gog.com and CD Projekt RED forever because they at least care about their loyal paying customers who purchase the video games from gog.com and the video games developed by CD Projekt RED.

I'm just very mad at this.

Goodbye forever SQUARE-ENIX and Eidos Interactive until your decide not to go through with this.

My money will be spent on gog.com. Whenever this is announced that it will not go through or gets removed in the future then you can earn my money again.

Anyone else hate internet being forced on the video games that you purchase?

You're taking bits of that article out of context. Also, it's a year old. Also, this is now your... what... 6th time you said goodbye? Why keep coming back if you were already "done" with SE a long time ago.

Oh and don't even get me started on CD Projekt RED

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I will say that I don't always like it when the internet intrudes its ugly head into the single player aspect of a game. (re: Battlefield 3.... I was wanting to play single player and one day I couldn't because I couldn't establish contact with a server. WHAT!? Since when did I need to be online to play a single player game that was NOT persistent universe and only meant to be played on my console?! This is just one of the reasons why I despise EA Games!

Destiny's set up is a bit different, since it's sort of going the MMO route. You can play "solo", but it's not "single player" so to speak. I've been enjoying Destiny, although, again, if I want to just go it alone, I still have to have internet access. Kinda bites, but at least you know up front that you have to be online to play that game.

In the case of EA Games though.....I just want to smash their whole infrastructure because if you want to play a "single player" (which used to mean "offline") campaign on your console, you HAVE to be online.

And that is what grinds my gears, folks.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    I will say that I don't always like it when the internet intrudes its ugly head into the single player aspect of a game. (re: Battlefield 3.... I was wanting to play single player and one day I couldn't because I couldn't establish contact with a server. WHAT!? Since when did I need to be online to play a single player game that was NOT persistent universe and only meant to be played on my console?! This is just one of the reasons why I despise EA Games!

Destiny's set up is a bit different, since it's sort of going the MMO route. You can play "solo", but it's not "single player" so to speak. I've been enjoying Destiny, although, again, if I want to just go it alone, I still have to have internet access. Kinda bites, but at least you know up front that you have to be online to play that game.

In the case of EA Games though.....I just want to smash their whole infrastructure because if you want to play a "single player" (which used to mean "offline") campaign on your console, you HAVE to be online.

And that is what grinds my gears, folks.
    There's nothing in the article the OP posted that says SE is going the EA route.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

(faints, collapses, passes out, and drops unconscious.....all at once)
    Whew!

I know, but I was simply remarking on a general frustration.

lol, right-o.

The whole having a single player game and then having an online component to it is annoying. I live quite high up and sometimes my internet signal can be unreliable. I wouldn't want not to be able to play a game then and don't have the ego that I want to share online everytime I complete a level.

I am not saying anything about SE going this route as I don't know if it is true but I know MS and EA like it and I don't think it's the right route for gaming to go.
    signature image

Online only games don't get played. It's suprising how many games need to be online even in mobile.

But they should be able to make it smarter so that things get uploaded even if you're not online.

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Online only games don't get played.
    Destiny, anyone?

But I agree, online only games are atrocious, I'm glad Ubi decided to give The Division an offline mode

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    Destiny, anyone?
    indeed. Not only is Destiny being played....it is being played heavily.

I myself am giving it a break though so I can enjoy Alien Isolation. But I will be going back to Destiny afterward.