Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are we supposed to believe that Sam is okay?

Lol.....I don't think even they knew what I was getting into. (and my dad was no help whatsoever in the aftermath. I was too scared to go to sleep after seeing that movie, and he would pull some pretty scary pranks on me as I did try to go to sleep. )

The second movie had potential, but just missed the mark in so many areas. It was interesting that it kinda took a sci-fi approach in some of its story. Of course, seeing this movie (even if only on broadcast tv) was still scary enough for me at the time....and I think I was 11 or so. That face in the brain sequence scenes....still scary. When I saw it again on DVD many years later, I noticed there was some stuff missing from that presentation that I had remembered in the tv broadcast from years earlier.

An area where this movie missed the mark was the unintentional humor that tended to lighten the film's atmosphere. Although this was perfectly fine for me as a kid, in my adult years, I can see how this dropped the ball. Also, sadly to say, Linda Blair (hottie that she was becoming) was starting to show a severe lack in her acting abilities. (part of why she was starting to become regarded as a B-movie queen in not so later years. But from what I understand, she's been a guest star on a couple of police procedural dramas lately, and her acting chops had improved considerably.)

There's a ton of history around The Exorcist and its seuqels and prequels....far too much to discuss here without taking away from the OT (which I fear I've done already ). Suffice it to say, the history beyond the first film is rather troubled....but it still remains one of my favorite franchises.

There really wasn't a lot of gore in the first movie. It wasn't meant to be a graphically violent film....except maybe when you count one of the things Regan did to herself in her initial throes of possession. The third movie and onward is where the graphic violence started to plague the more sublime nature that should've been in them....that was a result of the suits seeming to think that graphic violence is what the latter films needed.

The third movie was called Exorcist III because that's what the suits wanted....when it was a totally different animal in the novel it was based on, called Legion. The suits wanted at least some kind of connection to the first film....thinking that the name Exorcist might sell the movie's concept even more. Exorcist III was not a bad movie by any stretch...it was far better than the second film. Also, George C. Scott played the role initally intended for him in the first film, Lieutenant Kinderman...a role that was ably performed by Lee J. Cobb at that time.
    Last edited by Lord Martok; 09-15-2014 at 06:09 AM.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

there was a third movie ? i didnt know that. i only have part 1 and 2 they were together in one box. also for a good price as well. didnt like part 2 too much. nice idea but the execution was poor. only watched it once and never again.
    is part 3 good or i dont miss anything?

yes, i have heard how people reacted to the movie back then. was mentioned in the making of and also saw some reports on youtube as well. even how it effected the actors (especially the girl) how people behaved around her.
    but its still one of the best horror movies ever made and for todays standards, still creepy as hell.
    signature image

There were actually 5 Exorcist movies.

The Exorcist
    Exorcist II: The Heretic
    The Exorcist III
    Exorcist: The Beginning
    Dominion: The Prequel to the Exorcist

Now, the funny thing about the fourth and fifth movies are that they are both (basically) the same movie, with a few differences. One movie was actually unfinished, because the director was fired. The continuity of the film was finished, but a lot of post production wasn't. A new version of the script and film was made, and finished under a different director. Both movies are about a younger Father Lankester Merrin. Merrin was portrayed in both Exorcist and Exorcist II by Max Von Sydow. In the prequel movies, Merrin is played by Stellan Skarsgaard. (He was Natalie Portman's professor in the Thor and Avenger's movies, and Captain Tupelov in The Hunt for Red October).

Like I said, I enjoyed Exorcist III. It was far better than II. But your actual mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    There were actually 5 Exorcist movies.

The Exorcist
    Exorcist II: The Heretic
    The Exorcist III
    Exorcist: The Beginning
    Dominion: The Prequel to the Exorcist

Now, the funny thing about the fourth and fifth movies are that they are both (basically) the same movie, with a few differences. One movie was actually unfinished, because the director was fired. The continuity of the film was finished, but a lot of post production wasn't. A new version of the script and film was made, and finished under a different director. Both movies are about a younger Father Lankester Merrin. Merrin was portrayed in both Exorcist and Exorcist II by Max Von Sydow. In the prequel movies, Merrin is played by Stellan Skarsgaard. (He was Natalie Portman's professor in the Thor and Avenger's movies, and Captain Tupelov in The Hunt for Red October).

Like I said, I enjoyed Exorcist III. It was far better than II. But your actual mileage may vary.
    yes, i have seen both prequels. the first one i even watched with my ex in the cinema. got it on dvd as well. actually like it. i got the other one as well but it was just bad. felt more...artificial?! just wasnt the same as the beginning. this creepy pale skinny guy floating around was just

well, i sure will give part 3 a try. maybe this friday i can ask for it. i know they have the first movie.
    signature image

I hope you'll enjoy it.

hope so too. part 2, as i mentioned, did not go so well. i just hope they have it.
    signature image

I'll just assume Sam died of some mysterious illness.
    Single, you want somethin?

I think Sam is ok but it would be nice if they did that thing with Himikos soul.

Since the game is fantasy, there's no set time limit. It took as long as it needed to basically for you to fight the bad guys and get to her. My assumption was that since the ritual wasn't complete the transformation wasn't complete and since Himoko's soul was destroyed Sam's soul went back to where it should be and Himoko's soul just went to some kind of afterlife.
    signature image

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lara_Fan_84 View Post
    Since the game is fantasy, there's no set time limit. It took as long as it needed to basically for you to fight the bad guys and get to her. My assumption was that since the ritual wasn't complete the transformation wasn't complete and since Himoko's soul was destroyed Sam's soul went back to where it should be and Himoko's soul just went to some kind of afterlife.
    Having been made one with Himiko it would be interesting if there was some trace of the experience left giving Sam say super regenerative capabilites or something else useful as a gameplay mechanic. This way Sam could travel with Lara making her the ultimate coop buddy? Or maybe she could get her own spinoff series where she rises from the trauma and continues exploring the world only now with two guns and going after artifacts in a search for a past she can never find haunted by Himiko's memory? Sort of like what Lara Croft used to do before since she uses a bow now and doesnt raid tombs.

It looked like it was setting up a boss fight against Himiko/Sam at the end. It looks like it was written to be that was then changed and perhaps that long time it took left in as an artefact of the change.

The comics are suppose to be a bridge between the Reboot and ROtTR, right? So if they are I assume that something would possibly make it's appearance in the comics, even if it was just a little hint. Which I can say that so far they haven't.
    signature image

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12